Three More Bombs Explode At Central World, Pratunam, Khao Sarn Road

george

I would like to weigh in on the graffiti issue as a retired graffiti artist ( I ran with a "crew" some 25 years ago on the streets and subways of New York City) with some insight on the "IRK" image.

My interpretation is that the glyph says "IRIE" and not "IRK" based upon the angle of attack of the strokes, trailing of the spray patterning, the overlooked second dotted "i" and the highly stylized "E".

Please refer to the image which indicates the letterforms seperated as I interpret them along with arrows indicating the direction of the spray artist's strokes.

IRIE is a Rastafarian term and the tag may have absolutely nothing to do with these attacks.

As an aside didn't the law change today no prohibit cigarette smoking in public places? Maybe it was some disgruntled nicotine addict. Joking? :o

100% agree with you assessment.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know whether it's true that there was an unexploded bomb found in the 2nd Floor toilet of ASIA HOTEL in Bangkok (Rajthevee)???

NO. But maybe 6 hours ago on thai tv on the news cast there was some video showing asia hotel and some men walking in dressed in suits there for a few seconds and cut, then the news was finished, nobody said anything during that.

Edited by sonnyJ

Does anyone know whether it's true that there was an unexploded bomb found in the 2nd Floor toilet of ASIA HOTEL in Bangkok (Rajthevee)???

NO. But maybe 6 hours ago on thai tv on the news cast there was some video showing asia hotel and some men walking in dressed in suits there for a few seconds and cut, then the news was finished, nobody said anything during that.

Maybe they did find a bomb there, that's why it appeared on TV??

Incorrect. The UK Foreign Office advice is:

A number of bombs exploded in Bangkok on 31 December 2006. There is a possibility of further attacks in coming days. British Citizens are advised not to travel within Bangkok unless absolutely necessary, until further notice.

There is a big difference between "to Bangkok" and "within Bangkok". This advisory says that if you don't have to go out in Bangkok, don't go out. It doesn't say "Don't travel to Bangkok". And personally I agree - why bother if you don't have anything urgent to take care of?

Furthermore, the warning does not cover other parts of Thailand.

These are standard travel advisories issued whenever there is a source of potential danger to a country's citizens. If you dig back into past travel advisories you will also see similar advisories issued for areas where bird flu was detected in various countries. The government has to do its job, so it does just that.

Let's not downplay the warning/advisory - it is most definitely valid. But I think we need to look at the context in which these advisories are issued and not take one of them and blow it out of proportion.

I'm going to use the Canadian Embassy warning as an example.

OFFICIAL WARNING: Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada advises against non-essential travel to the region(s) specified below. (IDW9)

You are advised against non-essential travel to the capital, Bangkok.

On the same page, immediately following:

OFFICIAL WARNING: Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada advises against all travel to the region(s) specified below. (IDW5)

You are advised against all travel to the far southern provinces of Narathiwat, Pattani, Yala, and Songkhla (including the city of Hat Yai)

That, I think, is an accurate indicator of the level of severity of the travel advisory.

For a little more perspective, here is the travel warning for Indonesia.

See our Current Issues page for information on Avian Influenza.

OFFICIAL WARNING: Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada advises against non-essential travel to this country. (IDW7)

You are advised against non-essential travel to Indonesia, including Bali.

Note that the whole country has been placed under an advisory - and also note the reference to bird flu.

Edited by onethailand

[QOUTE]QUOTE(CanadianEmbassy)

OFFICIAL WARNING: Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada advises against non-essential travel to the region(s) specified below. (IDW9)

You are advised against non-essential travel to the capital, Bangkok.

QUOTE(kurtgruen)

UNOFFICIAL WARNING: government officials reported that 16,273 Iraqi civilians, soldiers and police died violent deaths in 2006. Avoid BUSH terror... stay out of countries that Bush and his cronies are bombing the sh*t out off.

I'll take my chances in Thailand, thank you.

To me it's all a matter of perspective. I feel less safe because of drunk drivers around New Years or Songkran here, than I do about a few bombs going off. Off course, I don't want bombs to go off, but I not going to let it wreck my peace and serenity and I am sure not going to change my lifestyle because of them.

Strange world we live in... some people get hanged for killing a hundred people, others get praised for killing more than 15000. Something wrong with that picture somewhere, or is it just me?

I would say, the solution is, tighten visa regulations even more for foreigners, then maybe all the complainers will have to stay at home and find something to complain about in their own country.... Innocent people are dying and people are talking about how it will affect the cost of living or their exchange rate of the Baht. What's wrong with this world????

Contrary to popular belief, there is more to life than money.

well, perhaps you should e-mail Nation or Bkk post with your version of this glyph - coz it is quite doubtful that Thai Police are well versed in Rastafarian symbolics

I agree with aaaaaa. I think that averyone in this country will love you. :o

Soon or later they will realize its just a local graffiti crew.

Contacted the Nation and sent the appropriate info along with links to the pertinent imagery.

Everyone in this country already loves me. ('Cept the ethanol-addicted, Troglodytic miscreants, 'natch!)

Thanks for your fraternal solidarity in light of the current uncertainty and speculation. :D

Anyways...

well, certainly it did work, coz here is the result, Nation says:

The MPB investigators also dismissed the writing of "IRK" at three out of eight bomb sites - which suggested Muslim militants from the deep South played some part in the attacks - after interviewing witnesses and discovering that "IRK" was marked at several places across Bangkok well before the attacks.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/01/03...cs_30023152.php

your name wasn't mentined - never mind! at least you've helped to sort it out, dude! :D

if all the tourists go away then the prices will finally go down i hope. since the 13 years ive been here the prices are probably at least triple of before. while cambodia has many thing the prices are unchanged. then there is all the visa troubles crossing the border. yet ive even got free tourists visas in poi pet where the part is price its stamped gratis. why have i get free visas cause i am can speak khmer. but not as much as i like too. but they tested it already. fact is cambodia apprectialtes people coming to their country. thailand does not. perhaps this is caused from the massive numbers of tourists thaland gets which cambodia does not. so maybe the bight side of this is the thais will get off their high horses and start treating the foreigners that are here better.

Did you ever think that maybe why you don't get charged is because the

immigration officers in Cambodia are 1000% more corrupt than the Thai immigration.

Instead of charging the normal price they took it upon themselves to let you have

a free pass, because they though it was entertaining that you could speak some Khmer.

Do you think that is there official policy, speak some Khmer, no visa charge????

So could it possibily be that Thai immigration follow the orders of there superiors a bit better, and

charge everyone for a visa regardless of whether they personally like them or not.

I think maybe it is better if you stay in Cambodia, seeing as how you favor corruption

of government officers when it benefits you personally.