Marketing to Foreign Tourists

sunny17

Hi all - I want to seek an estimate of certain marketing options I could have, if I started some kind of e-commerce website, targeting the tourists who visit Thailand every year. 

Suppose my (or rather, what I am helping someone else set up) site is about some kind of "Thailand travel tool kit" - we want to sell certain things tourists may need, in one package - mosquito repellent, swim shoes, fanny bags, hats, sunscreen, locks and chain, sunglasses, waterproof camera bag, Imodium and other basic medicine, selfie stick, maps etc

Question is how to target them - I am listing out some of the options I have in mind, could members please tell me what sort of Thai Baht costs I am going to be looking it?

1 - SEO - keywords = thailand travel, bangkok, khaosan road, Krabi tours etc 

2 - handing out flyers in touristy areas like KSR, Nana plaza, the Wats and temples of BKK - how much is printing (10k flyers) costs and handing out costs

3 - sticking a banner or billboard in these locations - see this

4 - using a human banner like this

5 - doing online advertising, through ad-words/ad-sense

6 - Placing ad's in Thailand message boards like this and LPTT

7 - Getting some shop or hotel to put up a standee  - see here

8 - getting mid budget and backpacker's hotels to keep site brochures 

If I have missed out on any other obvious way to attract tourists, then please feel free to point out. In all likely hood, it will require a combination of some of the listed techniques to make an effective marketing plan. 

Thanks a ton!

PS: and remember, the example I gave was purely hypothetical. 

These things are readily available on any corner in Thailand.

If this is your plan, best to find a new one because this will not work. People walk around Thailand impulsively and see and buy what ever they feel they need. Not much planning goes into that.

Every newbie has access to Travel Planet, TV and 100's of other sources to understand what they need before coming to Thailand.

Thailand is a whole open market where tourists can buy whatever they need, where ever they happen to be

You are not providing a service any tourist needs or will use

Websites these days make money from advertising, unless you are Amazon

Edited by bwpage3

13 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

These things are readily available on any corner in Thailand.

I know - and I did point out that the example I gave was PURELY HYPOTHETICAL. 

taking this "example", could members please point out the marketing options I have to target foreign tourists and the price points of the same.

Thanks.

taking this "example", could members please point out the marketing options I have to target foreign tourists and the price points of the same.

Thanks.

My personal view on this OP is what ever you did would have to be unique, as the previous reply mentioned, this is already available from multiple resources. You'd have to bring to the table something that would stand out from the crowd.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

i agree with you - i have to bring something new to the table and I have plans in place for just that. I'l share it one its launched.

For now, I request to know which marketing options are likely to prove most effective to target foreign tourists and at what thai price points. 

4 minutes ago, sunny17 said:

i agree with you - i have to bring something new to the table and I have plans in place for just that. I'l share it one its launched.

For now, I request to know which marketing options are likely to prove most effective to target foreign tourists and at what thai price points. 

I for one would not respond to any such attempt to get rich off of me, as I resent being considered to be nothing more than a sheeple ripe for the picking.

There are thousands of information sites for almost anything on the internet, and as already said mosquito repellent, fanny bags, hats, sunscreen, locks and chain, sunglasses, Imodium and other basic medicine, etc are available most everywhere in Thai locales.

What I might respond to would be information about cheap hotels- description, location, how to get there, rating for staff, cleanliness etc. The only sites at present tend to be about all hotels and require a lot of reading to get information I want. Not that I would pay to read such though.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

There are thousands of information sites for almost anything on the internet, and as already said mosquito repellent, fanny bags, hats, sunscreen, locks and chain, sunglasses, Imodium and other basic medicine, etc are available most everywhere in Thai locales.

I have explained that it was merely a "hypothetical example", three times already.

23 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I for one would not respond to any such attempt to get rich off of me, as I resent being considered to be nothing more than a sheeple ripe for the picking.

Its not that I am trying to get rich of you all - firstly the site is not for me.

Secondly, there is a ton of info on the net, but its hard to find out the Thai price points of some of the marketing techniques, like flyer man, billboard, cost to get hotels to keep brochures etc. Only people who have lived in Thailand for years would be able to tell. So i turned to this board for advice.

Edited by sunny17

3 hours ago, sunny17 said:

Its not that I am trying to get rich of you all - firstly the site is not for me.

Secondly, there is a ton of info on the net, but its hard to find out the Thai price points of some of the marketing techniques, like flyer man, billboard, cost to get hotels to keep brochures etc. Only people who have lived in Thailand for years would be able to tell. So i turned to this board for advice.

Whom the site is for is irrelevant. I won't pay for any site, but I suppose if it were good 'click bait" it could make money from ads.

Not trying to pick an argument on this, but just because one lives a long time in Thailand would not make one familiar with how much an hotel charges to keep brochures etc. The subject never comes up whenever I stay in an hotel, and I have no reason to ask.

4 hours ago, sunny17 said:

1.....Secondly, there is a ton of info on the net, but its hard to find out.

2.....I have explained that it was merely a "hypothetical example", three times already.

1...No it isn't Google is your friend.

2...If it's hypo l cannot see the point,  you can put prices on most anything in tourist lists or anything you have mentioned.

Some tourist still use that guide book thingy and ask local people but sadly very few now,  mostly these days l see they use there phones.  

Ok i see - but maybe some members will have an idea or estimate about the following few - 

2 - handing out flyers in touristy areas - how much is printing (10k flyers) costs and handing out costs

3 - sticking a banner or billboard in these locations - see this

4 - using a human banner like this

6 - Placing ad's in Thailand message boards like this and LPTT

7 - Getting some shop or hotel to put up a standee  - see here

Let me guess - in view of the feedback in the "thai income" thread -6

handing out flyers cannot be more than 500 baht for whole day + printing costs

for #3, i do not know

#4 - same - about 500 for a day + cost of banner

#6 - maybe 1000 baht a month for ads in message boards like this

#7 - maybe 1000 baht a month + standee cost

Right or wrong?

I have never resorted to buying anything from any advertiser in Thailand EVER! I have driven all over the entire country as well. Never had a need.

That being said, I am sure I am not the only one. Your wasting your time advertising in Thailand.

This is NOT the west. 

People that live in Thailand are very carefree and resilient. They know exactly where and how to find exactly what they need, WHEN they need it. No planning sorry.

Being right next to China, guaranteed you WILL not bring anything NEW to Thailand. It has all been done over and over and over.

I cannot think of ONE need for myself that I would need advertising help to find.

This is Thailand. People have a Thai wife and girlfriend, speak their own language, they can find anything man, and I mean anything.

Your whole idea is flawed whether you  want to believe it or not.

People like you have been trying to come up with new ideas to survive in Thailand since Vietnam.

Advertising is NOT going to make anything happen. Save your money, time and energy.

Dream all you want, there is a reason educated people go to school and learn how to do professional business plans. This way they can prove to their stubborn selves, their ideas do NOT have a chance of working. 

Logic and reasoning do not work in Thailand. People have found a way to move all the way to Thailand and survive on their own. They do not need advertising.

1 hour ago, bwpage3 said:

People that live in Thailand are very carefree and resilient. They know exactly where and how to find exactly what they need, WHEN they need it. No planning sorry.

Dream all you want, there is a reason educated people go to school and learn how to do professional business plans. This way they can prove to their stubborn selves, their ideas do NOT have a chance of working. 

I am not targeting people who live in Thailand, but FOREIGN TOURISTS who visit Thailand.

I am a qualified MBA, with my own startup, already in talks with investors for seed round funding. 

If people would just answer post #13 as best they can, without pointing flaws in the "idea" (which i never mentioned), it would help me immensely.

Edited by sunny17

On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 3:16 AM, sunny17 said:

Thanks.

Pretty specific list for something that is purely hypothetical (no need to yell) that may or may not be for you or a friend or whomever. Dont ya think?

well the options are "specific" yes, not vague. Not all of them may be effective though.

But the moot questions is still the same - if someone wants the eyeballs of "foreign tourists who visit thailand" then which of these options are best and what thai baht price points. 

No need to point out for all the options, as indeed some can be found out on the net, just the ones in post #13. 

Can an admin/mod please let me know the cost in Baht of placing ads on this message board? That'd be a good start.

My 7 baht-worth estimate from observations of my wife's cafe' place.

Only #2  & #4  is not done by my wife. 

20 hours ago, sunny17 said:

handing out flyers cannot be more than 500 baht for whole day + printing costs

for #3, i do not know

#4 - same - about 500 for a day + cost of banner

#6 - maybe 1000 baht a month for ads in message boards like this

#7 - maybe 1000 baht a month + standee cost

One other thing costs & permission will reflect on where you are located in Thailand and my post is purely from a Thai only prospective in my :biggrin: tourist village.

2...500 per 8 hr day is a good rate,  300 is possible too but from what l observe flyers it's finding dependable people who will hand-out or post to houses.

3...A sign like that costs between 300-500 baht my wife is able to post them for free where we live.

4....I'd say same as 2.

6...My wife uses friends places to do that so basically free apart from giving them a treat from being tourists being directed by them to my wife's cafe'. 

7....This done adjacent to the cafe' if more were placed elsewhere as #6.

20 hours ago, sunny17 said:

I am not targeting people who live in Thailand, but FOREIGN TOURISTS who visit Thailand.

I am a qualified MBA, with my own startup, already in talks with investors for seed round funding. 

If people would just answer post #13 as best they can, without pointing flaws in the "idea" (which i never mentioned), it would help me immensely.

Mr. MBA.

What language is the advertising in?

Have 500 nationalities visiting Thailand

You plan on advertising in all languages? Did you even think of that? Who (what nationality are you actually marketing to?) Not everyone in the world can read English.

Please tell me one foreign tourist that travels anywhere in the world, to depend on advertising for something they need?

When perhaps they cannot even read or speak the language the advertising is in?

What exactly is a qualified MBA versus someone who has a Master's Degree of Business?

If you are looking for money, you must not be very good at being qualified at anything

Please tell me one foreign tourist that travels anywhere in the world, to depend on advertising for something they need?

What exactly is a qualified MBA versus someone who has a Master's Degree of Business?

omg, I have clarified, they are my "targets". They are also my "agents". 

A qualified MBA = he/she who has a masters degree in business administration.

What language is the advertising in?

You plan on advertising in all languages? Did you even think of that? Who (what nationality are you actually marketing to?) Not everyone in the world can read English.

Yes i thought of that, dont need you to point out. The ads are going to be in English, just like most 'non-Thai" signage in Thailand is.

My targets are those who are from the "anglosphere" and/or can read english. That seems to be the "80-20"

This sounds like the sort of kit bought by someone BEFORE they come to Thailand, thinking they'll need this stuff and won't be able to find it easily.  I laugh at some of the things people bring here because they think they won't be available here.

Maybe the hypothetical OP should be target travelers who are PLANNING trips to Thailand, not those who are already here and have discovered this stuff is readily available.   Or maybe sell the kit in the airports, right at the arrival gates.

9 hours ago, sunny17 said:

Yes i thought of that, dont need you to point out. The ads are going to be in English, just like most 'non-Thai" signage in Thailand is.

My targets are those who are from the "anglosphere" and/or can read english. That seems to be the "80-20"

Have you thought about that you will need to setup a business here if you want to let people work for you.

That you can't own the business for more than 49 % and you need 1 or more Thai partners.

How many of the people you want to reach out to are newbies to Thailand who don't know you can buy it at any 7/11

How are you going to get the banners and bring them over to the people/ place you want them. 

How are you going to get the flyers and bring them over to the people/ place you want them.

How are you going to employ the people and check they actually do the work for you.

If you are here and running a business you need a visa too. 

5 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Have you thought about that you will need to setup a business here if you want to let people work for you.

That you can't own the business for more than 49 % and you need 1 or more Thai partners.

How many of the people you want to reach out to are newbies to Thailand who don't know you can buy it at any 7/11

How are you going to get the banners and bring them over to the people/ place you want them. 

How are you going to get the flyers and bring them over to the people/ place you want them.

How are you going to employ the people and check they actually do the work for you.

If you are here and running a business you need a visa too. 

I am not setting it up for myself. I wont own anything, not even 1%,

Again, the hypothetical example i gave is miles away from the actual offering - the only common thing is that both target foreign tourists. 

5 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

get them printed/produced locally !

Edited by sunny17

9 hours ago, NancyL said:

This sounds like the sort of kit bought by someone BEFORE they come to Thailand, thinking they'll need this stuff and won't be able to find it easily.  I laugh at some of the things people bring here because they think they won't be available here.

Maybe the hypothetical OP should be target travelers who are PLANNING trips to Thailand, not those who are already here and have discovered this stuff is readily available.   Or maybe sell the kit in the airports, right at the arrival gates.

and I laugh at people who do not know what hypothetical means.

1 hour ago, sunny17 said:

Again, the hypothetical example i gave is miles away from the actual offering - the only common thing is that both target foreign tourists. 

Still need to do all those things

1 hour ago, sunny17 said: