Importing secondhand household goods to Thailand.

Sailor42

Could someone please point me to the topic if this has been discussed before. Otherwise, advice please: I am moving to live with my Thai wife in Korat, and if not too complicated/expensive, would like to import limited quantity of secondhand goods, mainly clothes and soft goods, but including some pictures and personal memory items, smart TV, filing cabinet with historical business papers, etc. Anyone had experience of this, and best way of avoiding a bureaucratic death by a thousand cuts. Or is it just too difficult/expensive to attempt?

Serious thanks for your input.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Some airlines have 40 kg baggage allowance which would be ample for personal stuff. If both of you flying that is 80 kg- surely enough for anyone?

There is no need to bring any clothes, unless special or personally significant.

I wouldn't recommend bringing the filing cabinet as can buy in Thailand, and scanning the documents removes the need to bring the paper.

Pictures- remove frames to save weight.

Depending on your visa and how long you plan on staying should be a guideline....I brought a container over but now wish I'd brought more of the household stuff....I've bought all teak furniture here and that is good, but my furniture that is still in storage is also good wood with complete room sets that would be fine furniture here......

I wish now I'd have brought that along as it could have fit in the container.....

Bring anything that's a better quality than you can get here - linens and towels for a couple of suggestions.....

Again it depends on your visas and what they allow without excessive tariff.....

I used my allowances off my retirement visa.....Wish now that I'd brought more....

So - think it out....

I knew I was coming here for the long haul but still have an RV & vehicle back there for visits and touring....But the storage costs mount up.....Would have been better to have left less there in my case....

me and mrs.meat moved to korat after she had been in the uk.20yrs. we spent over 15yrs.visiting korat where her sister lives.

so lets get down to what to bring and what not to.

a good set of stainless steel pots and pans.that includes 2good woks.

cutlery, includes kitchen tools.

bedding,expecialy cotton sheets.

furniture is cheap,tv.40in.around 250gbp.

we had 3cubic mts.shipped to bkk.from wales 240gbp.then from bkk.delivered to our door,12,000bht.custom/agent and 6,000bht delivery.

if you fly with thai tell them you are emmigrating,they wont bother with over weight.

me and mrs.meat moved to korat after she had been in the uk.20yrs. we spent over 15yrs.visiting korat where her sister lives.
so lets get down to what to bring and what not to.
a good set of stainless steel pots and pans.that includes 2good woks.
cutlery, includes kitchen tools.
bedding,expecialy cotton sheets.
furniture is cheap,tv.40in.around 250gbp.
we had 3cubic mts.shipped to bkk.from wales 240gbp.then from bkk.delivered to our door,12,000bht.custom/agent and 6,000bht delivery.
if you fly with thai tell them you are emmigrating,they wont bother with over weight.

Thanks mate, I still remember the days of Gareth, and Delmey Thomas, when men were men and you had to spit out the tailings if you drank a beer in the Valleys!

We brought Corelle Living Ware full service for 8 that has served the every day test of time & kids while nice enough for visitors.... Compact in original boxes but heavy ..... Worked well when just the two of us....Finding the same quality here isn't easy - Mostly end up with the restaurant type assortments....

Plus  good cookware as previously mentioned.....

Worthy home additions....

We brought Corelle Living Ware full service for 8 that has served the every day test of time & kids while nice enough for visitors.... Compact in original boxes but heavy ..... Worked well when just the two of us....Finding the same quality here isn't easy - Mostly end up with the restaurant type assortments....

Plus  good cookware as previously mentioned.....

Worthy home additions....

Thanks mate, good advice and much appreciated.

34 minutes ago, Sailor42 said:

Thanks mate, I still remember the days of Gareth, and Delmey Thomas, when men were men and you had to spit out the tailings if you drank a beer in the Valleys!

scrumpy man [boy] me,you could see the bits floating in the glass.from ponty to gilfach fri.nights then the milk train home.

one thing if you bring new stuff in wrap it in bedding and declare as USED.

we brought curtains,bedding,even wallpaper,over here its over 50quid a roll. go to B&Q 5QUID a roll on sale.