Best country in South Asia for ....

Hello,

What is the best country in South Asia ( like Vietnam,  Cambodia, Philippines , etc.  ) for get a easy VISA LONG TOURIST ? ( 1 year minimum )

And where is easy to open a bank account and transfert large sum like in EUR or USD ( $25.000 up )?

I see in other forum that in Vietnam is a problem trasfert large sum in USD dollars ...

And i see that in Thailand is a problem now stay more 180 days on TOURIST VISA ( risk deportation now at Don muang and Suvarnabhumi )

Thanks !

I think you mean South-East Asia, not South Asia (India/Pakistan/Bangladesh/Sri-Lanka).

All the listed countries can be best, depending on your perception. 

What do you plan to do in your chosen country?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 4737 Carlin said:

Cambodia is very easy. You can stay indefinitely on 12 month visas. I live in Phnom Penh but wouldn't recommend the place - its a filthy dump and many things are more expensive (and of lower quality) than Thailand.

filthy dump ??? 

2 hours ago, skyiceice said:

And i see that in Thailand is a problem now stay more 180 days on TOURIST VISA ( risk deportation now at Don muang and Suvarnabhumi )

Well if you want to stay in Thailand for a year or longer, you're not really what would normally be described as a tourist. 

That said, depending on where you're starting from you could get a METV (multi-entry tourist visa) that would keep you for part of the year and a couple of visa runs to a nearby country with extensions ought to be doable to finish out one year. This would, of course, depend to some degree on your nationality and previous travel history to Thailand. Other options like the Thailand Elite program or visas & extensions based on retirement or marriage to a Thai might be better for you than depending on tourist visas.

People who intend to apply for a retirement extensions or those who want to buy a condo routinely transfer amounts of US$25,000 or more to their Thai bank accounts. Doing that shouldn't present a problem.

Edited by Suradit69

I'm my opinion in south east Asia Bangladesh could be cheaper and banking wise they are wild you can roughly 12% on your money on yearly basis and 7% on daily basis in the account. Long term visa is also available and life style ranges from low to extremely high kind, friends where she wgat you and how you want to leave . It's my opinion 

3 hours ago, 4737 Carlin said:

Cambodia is very easy. You can stay indefinitely on 12 month visas. I live in Phnom Penh but wouldn't recommend the place - its a filthy dump and many things are more expensive (and of lower quality) than Thailand.

I visited Siam Riap and found it nice & friendly

• Like 1

There are numerous threads on immigration in Thailand. The user Ubon Joe seems to be the TV resident expert on the subject. I have seen many of his posts easy to understand, and accurate. 

As far as banking, there are also many threads on that subject. Personally, I bank with Citibank USA and Krungsri in Thailand. But I have a retirement visa. I opened with only ฿2000 ( I was told min is ฿500) I was issued a Visa debit card on the spot. 

I don't really care for Citi Thai as every time I go there the requirements change. First from a min ฿10,000 deposit then to ฿100,000 last time I was told ฿1,000,000 

A personal suggestion, I find when doing business in the los it is best to wear long pants and a button up shirt. My own experiences are shorts & t-shirts are considered rude. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Grumpy Duck said:

There are numerous threads on immigration in Thailand. The user Ubon Joe seems to be the TV resident expert on the subject. I have seen many of his posts easy to understand, and accurate. 

As far as banking, there are also many threads on that subject. Personally, I bank with Citibank USA and Krungsri in Thailand. But I have a retirement visa. I opened with only ฿2000 ( I was told min is ฿500) I was issued a Visa debit card on the spot. 

I don't really care for Citi Thai as every time I go there the requirements change. First from a min ฿10,000 deposit then to ฿100,000 last time I was told ฿1,000,000 

A personal suggestion, I find when doing business in the los it is best to wear long pants and a button up shirt. My own experiences are shorts & t-shirts are considered rude. 

Depends on what business? If you mean going to the bank to get a new debit card no, you can go in shorts/casual clothes as most Thais do outside of Bkk. If you mean meeting a potential buyer for a beachfront 100 rai plot, yes shorts will be rude. But then again 0,0001% of foreigners here will be ever in that position. This thing some people have about clothing is totally over the top. Thais are much more interested in your actions,attitude and words as a foreigner than your clothes. If you wear a suit and act superior towards them the suit will be of no use, compared to a guy in shorts thats humble and respectful. 

4 hours ago, 4737 Carlin said:

Yes - to put it mildly. Just being honest. 

I feel about Bangkok the same way (and I'm sure about Jakarta, Manila, KL, HCMC too if I had to live there). Phnom Penh used to be still Ok when I first laid eyes on it in 2003 but I sure wouldn't live there these days, however, the rest of Cambodia is still golden.

I have transferred large sums of money to Vietnam without any problems.........as well as Thailand, I don't like carrying it all with me.............you can also get a one year, multiple entry visa for about 6000 baht at the Vietnamese Embassy - take about 3 days.  That Visa can be extended in Vietnamese Customs for another year.  I got ripped off in the airport immigration for a 3 month Cambodian visa, paid in Thai Baht and found out he over charged me 1000 baht...............next time I will have Visa in hand.

I find Sihanoukville ok, it needs a good clean up though. Some quite nice restaurants with good European foods.. Fresh seafood on the main drag..Cheap. 

Not much to do though, Beach is ok, Otres beach quite lovely. It's all still very third world in Cambodia, lots of terribly poor people, homeless. I would advise staying a month or two in each location ,and see how you like it before taking the plunge. 

All the countries you listed are quite manageable depending on your age and financial circumstances.

They each have different pros and cons as to which is the best choice for you. Language,

healthcare, companionship, infrastructure are all quite different in each country so it depends

what you value most. in regard to a 1 year visa and being able to transfer money. Not really a

big issue.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 7/13/2017 at 8:12 PM, Thingamabob said:

Most male farangs in Thailand dress sloppily and talk loudly, a disastrous combination as far as Thais are concerned. Never used to be like this. Cheap flights to blame.

When wasn't there a time it was like that?

I don't think westerners have dressed nicely since....the 1950s, maybe?

I've been in and out of Thailand since the 1990s...and westerners have always dressed poorly, and I'm assuming it was the same even back in the 1970s and 1980s.  Maybe only the U.S. military taking R&R from Vietnam, could have been the only time they would not have dressed sloppily, but I would imagine the loudness would have been still there.

• Haha 1