The unpredictable Thai wife......

Gary A

My wife has been shopping for a new vehicle for several months. She wanted a Pajero but I gave her a limit of 800,000 baht. That left out the Pajero. She immediately ruled out Ford and Chevrolet. I think she looked at everything else available. Her Ford Focus had a problem with the hood opening. Something came unhooked, so she took it to the Ford dealer. There was no charge for repairing that. While waiting she was looking at an EcoSport. She loved it. Extra ground clearance and it sits higher. It was also the only one in her price range that had a leather interior. I asked her why she had ruled out the Ford. She said she has changed her mind. It is the top of the line Titanium model. It took her a couple weeks of negotiating to get the price under 800,000. I had thought she would be happy with a new automatic Isuzu pickup. Low slung cars around here are just not suitable for the back country roads.

Today she bought it. She particularly liked the power sunroof and backup parking sensor as well as the automatic dimming lights and mirror. Ford was the only dealer that would take her ten year old Focus. They allowed 160,000 baht trade in. She isn't worried about repairs because she got the five year 150,000 kilometer warranty. The dealer gave us good service for the Focus while it was under warranty but repairs after that were unreasonable and way too expensive. That means we will likely trade it back in after the warranty is about to expire. It certainly is no powerhouse but is OK. After I test drove it, the salesman told my wife that he thought he was going to have a heart attack. I put it through the paces. It is a flex fuel engine so I'm curious how many kilometers per liter it will get with E85. Maybe the best part is that she made the decision without me interfering. If there is something she doesn't like, she can't blame me.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, stevenl said:

" If there is something she doesn't like, she can't blame me. "

Are you sure?

I bought the Ford Focus and she complained about it from the first day I bought it. That's why I was so surprised that she decided on the Ford EcoSport. I can always tell her, that is what you wanted. She had decided to keep the Focus but she recently hit a dog, cracked and broke a bunch of plastic junk on the front. That and the right CV joint is vibrating. The left front CV joint cost 24,000 baht for the repair at the Pattaya Ford dealer. (Rip off). I had very little choice where to get it repaired. I think the Loei Ford dealer is much better. Pattaya Ford took five days for the repair. Of course, no replacement car for temporary use.

I can't see any reason to pay huge money for a vehicle that will get you from point A to point B. There are many nice pickups and cars that cost less than that. I drive a 4X4 pickup. It suits me just fine and it cost not much more than 800,000 baht. In fact it was 844,000 baht out the door for the top of the line model.

3 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Thanks for sharing that very interesting story of how much money you gave to your wife to buy a car.

I work slightly different ... if you want it go and buy it ... you know have much money we have ... when it's gone it's gone ...she has just gone and bought an RS Civic:sad:

1 hour ago, shady86 said:

I wonder if you have tried Honda HR-V? I believe it's in your budget and more reliable than Fords...

The HR-V is close to a million baht if it has any options. Even at that, the wife likes the Ford looks better. I'm not really concerned with reliability with a five year warranty. The Ford also has leather seats, keyless ignition and all the bells and whistles that she wanted. I already have a Garmin GPS and a dash cam that were in the Focus. The Garmin is better as far as roads and routes plus it is easier to use than the in dash units. She would have liked a reverse camera but the Ford reverse sensors seem just as good.

You underestimate the power of a woman. It will ALWAYS be your fault.  "Why were you such a cheap charlie?"  "You should have known better."  "The husband of my cousin's friend knows more about cars than you. Be a man."  "You 
should have helped me make a better choice."  

2 hours ago, USNret said:

You underestimate the power of a woman. It will ALWAYS be your fault.  "Why were you such a cheap charlie?"  "You should have known better."  "The husband of my cousin's friend knows more about cars than you. Be a man."  "You 
should have helped me make a better choice."  

Why would anyone even be in a relationship with a woman or man like that?

23 hours ago, Gary A said:

I bought the Ford Focus and she complained about it from the first day I bought it. That's why I was so surprised that she decided on the Ford EcoSport. I can always tell her, that is what you wanted. She had decided to keep the Focus but she recently hit a dog, cracked and broke a bunch of plastic junk on the front. That and the right CV joint is vibrating. The left front CV joint cost 24,000 baht for the repair at the Pattaya Ford dealer. (Rip off). I had very little choice where to get it repaired. I think the Loei Ford dealer is much better. Pattaya Ford took five days for the repair. Of course, no replacement car for temporary use.

Perhaps you should have sued the dog for damages, brings a whole new meaning to the acronym, Ford... Found On Road Dead :smile: Sorry, bad humor.

On 7/13/2017 at 4:26 PM, stevenl said:

Are you sure?

if she isnt happy she can just blame you for not giving her enough money for the car she actually wanted and forcing her to settle on the ecco

On 7/13/2017 at 4:26 PM, stevenl said:

Are you sure?

Ya, good luck with THAT!

21 hours ago, JAS21 said:

I work slightly different ... if you want it go and buy it ... you know have much money we have ... when it's gone it's gone ...she has just gone and bought an RS Civic:sad:

I can't understand what you mean.  What does:

''you know have much money we have''  mean?

I can't understand what you mean.  What does:

''you know have much money we have''  mean?

I think I have a really good business idea! "How to translate what your wife/gf means". You can translate from 40 different languages, the answers are still the same - " IT'S YOUR FAULT". I am a qualified guru, four marriages, etc., etc. Or perhaps you could suggest I have failed the course!!

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The more I read on Thai Visa the more I remember my son's advice the first time... a good few years ago now... I ever decided to visit Thailand. " Remember whatever it appears to be or seems it is really a Transaction at the end of the day Dad ! Never forget that ! You will always , always be payng for whatever you get. "  

My daughter is an absolute Holden (Chevy, GM call it what you will) nut.

I bought a Ford.

The anthem from then on was  "Ford, Ford, you're the best...drive a mile and walk the rest".   And "why do Fords have heated fenders...so they keep your hands warm while pushing them".