Briton survives three days in the jungle after Samui waterfall plunge

Jonathan Fairfield

9 minutes ago, wump said:

Have you seen the video with the rope? Pretty silly to go down there on your own. I think you are pretty safe as long as you got your mobile with you. This guy was a bit unlucky that it didn't work. Usually you can get a least a 2G signal (unless you have AIS who phased it out). Leaving tracks or hiking through the jungle alone is really just asking for it... shouldn't be attempted.

As for your warning signs: I think signs warning tourists of not that obvious dangers like jellyfish and rip currents are sufficient. You wanna place signs "Slippery rocks" or something? An idiot can see that they are slippery. 

I saw an "idiot" just a couple of weeks ago fall off a slippery (wet) rock after stepping off a dry one!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And you think a sign would have prevented it? Climbing slippery rocks is silly, especially in flip-flops. Maybe there should be signs telling people to take off their flip-flops or wear sturdy footwear? 

Or you want something like this?

karijini_1.jpg

14 minutes ago, wump said:

Have you seen the video with the rope? Pretty silly to go down there on your own. I think you are pretty safe as long as you got your mobile with you. This guy was a bit unlucky that it didn't work. Usually you can get a least a 2G signal (unless you have AIS who phased it out). Leaving tracks or hiking through the jungle alone is really just asking for it... shouldn't be attempted.

As for your warning signs: I think signs warning tourists of not that obvious dangers like jellyfish and rip currents are sufficient. You wanna place signs "Slippery rocks" or something? An idiot can see that they are slippery. 

Haven't seen the video with the rope but have been in what I can assume to be a similar situation a few years ago. The path was muddy, treacherous, so I turned tail and turned back. I heard from a local that a couple of days later a couple of middle aged ladies had to be helped down after they got into difficulties, so even not being on your own doesn't excuse "stupid"?

6 minutes ago, wump said:

And you think a sign would have prevented it? Climbing slippery rocks is silly, especially in flip-flops. Maybe there should be signs telling people to take off their flip-flops or wear sturdy footwear? 

Or you want something like this?

karijini_1.jpg

Looks ideal! :smile:

I said there should be no signs for obvious dangers. If you describe the path as "treacherous" then the danger is not that obvious so maybe a sign should be placed there. I also agree there should be signs indicating the required level of fitness if the path is quite challenging.

5 minutes ago, wump said:

I said there should be no signs for obvious dangers. If you describe the path as "treacherous" then the danger is not that obvious so maybe a sign should be placed there. I also agree there should be signs indicating the required level of fitness if the path is quite challenging.

People are soo stupid theses days that they cant work out in their own brain if something is dangerous or not?

Too much time spent indoors and poking a phone screen I think.

4 minutes ago, wump said:

The trouble is that in dry conditions, the path could have been described as "walkable/passable/climbable with care", but within a few hours of the type of rain that we get here, the pathways, and the waterfalls themselves ("flash" floods?) can become quite dangerous.

4 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

People are soo stupid theses days that they cant work out in their own brain if something is dangerous or not?

Too much time spent indoors and poking a phone screen I think.

Have you ever been on a "walk" up the side of a waterfall? It starts off literally like "a walk in the woods", but gradually becomes more and more difficult, so how are you supposed to know this? Would you assume that the Health and Safety people had given it the "all clear"? 

1 hour ago, wump said:

Or maybe just stay out of the 'Jungle'. Nature is nature. If you want to see the wild world be prepared. Or just stay home and watch Nat geo channel.

Please never visit the rainforest of North Queensland. They can be very beautiful and very dangerous for people with no sense of self responsibility.

1 hour ago, wump said:

Apparently not

8 hours ago, wump said:

The whole rope thingy looks a bit dodgy. IMO the area should be closed off to visitors at this point but ideally the local government should give the property owner some time and money to construct proper walkways and stairs. 

Time? Money? Local Government? Somehow the 3 don't go together!

Off topic, but Koh Samui garbage dump? From today's news:-

"Garbage situation in Koh Samui completely out of control"

16 hours ago, saakura said:

"Sanook reported that it was lucky that a local had seen his bike or the tourist may have died at the scene."

And had he died, the speculations from both police (suicide) and TV (murder) would have begun.

Dont think for one minute thats stopped it, just slowed it down a bit

15 hours ago, sambum said:

Have you ever been on a "walk" up the side of a waterfall? It starts off literally like "a walk in the woods", but gradually becomes more and more difficult, so how are you supposed to know this? Would you assume that the Health and Safety people had given it the "all clear"? 

Yes I have been for several walks up the side of waterfalls.  

I do not go on my own.  I do not wear high heel shoes, I am not drunk or doing crazy jumps and other stunts into the water.  I tread carefully and stay away from the sides.  If it looked really dangerous or was very wet an slippery I would find another way around or go back.  Its common sense.  I don't need s government health and safety sigh telling me its dangerous.  

What geriatric idiot would even think about climbing up the side of a waterfall in the first place... and one their own to boot? 

7 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Yes I have been for several walks up the side of waterfalls.  

I do not go on my own.  I do not wear high heel shoes, I am not drunk or doing crazy jumps and other stunts into the water.  I tread carefully and stay away from the sides.  If it looked really dangerous or was very wet an slippery I would find another way around or go back.  Its common sense.  I don't need s government health and safety sigh telling me its dangerous.  

What geriatric idiot would even think about climbing up the side of a waterfall in the first place... and one their own to boot? 

You are the only one to mention "geriatric idiots". You don't have to be geriatric to be an idiot!

You are also the only one to mention "climbing up the side of a waterfall"  The term being used is a "walk" up the side  of a waterfall, and well done you for spotting all the dangers beforehand, and never have your feet slip on a wet stone or log. I feel pretty sure that the guy that was rescued wasn't geriatric or wearing high heels, and maybe wasn't drunk or doing crazy jumps and other stunts either. Has it crossed your mind that it might just have been an accident - plain and simple? The thing is we don't know, but your implications are totally unfounded.

And health and safety "sigh" is what most people do when they hear the words - I must admit that made me giggle - thanks!

2 hours ago, sambum said:

You are the only one to mention "geriatric idiots". You don't have to be geriatric to be an idiot!

You are also the only one to mention "climbing up the side of a waterfall"  The term being used is a "walk" up the side  of a waterfall, and well done you for spotting all the dangers beforehand, and never have your feet slip on a wet stone or log. I feel pretty sure that the guy that was rescued wasn't geriatric or wearing high heels, and maybe wasn't drunk or doing crazy jumps and other stunts either. Has it crossed your mind that it might just have been an accident - plain and simple? The thing is we don't know, but your implications are totally unfounded.

And health and safety "sigh" is what most people do when they hear the words - I must admit that made me giggle - thanks!

You make me laugh so much too.  Thanks.

You were the one to mention walking up the side of a waterfall, not me.

Where did I say the poor guy who had the accident was geriatric or wearing high heels?

You are also the one to insist on warning people about the possible dangers of walks as they might get too tired or not understand that climbing up mountains and walking on slippery rocks might be dangerous.  

Also petty arguments about a clear typo are just that.. very petty and pointless.  

20 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

You make me laugh so much too.  Thanks.

You were the one to mention walking up the side of a waterfall, not me.

Where did I say the poor guy who had the accident was geriatric or wearing high heels?

You are also the one to insist on warning people about the possible dangers of walks as they might get too tired or not understand that climbing up mountains and walking on slippery rocks might be dangerous.  

Also petty arguments about a clear typo are just that.. very petty and pointless.  

It's pretty pointless to have a discussion with someone who "U turns" as much as you do!

1. I mentioned "walking" - You said "climbing", there is a difference. Your words:-

What geriatric idiot would even think about climbing up the side of a waterfall in the first place... and one their own to boot?"

2. "I do not wear high heel shoes, I am not drunk or doing crazy jumps and other stunts into the water". By saying that, by implication, you are saying that the unfortunate man that was rescued was doing one or all of these things.

3. Yes, I am the one warning people of the dangers of .................. etc etc. Your point being?

4. The "petty argument" about a typo wasn't even an argument - it was meant as a light hearted comment about i.e. "Health and Safety - sigh", but if you choose to make an argument about it instead of taking it as a joke - "up to you", but in light of this, and the above comments, we shall have to agree to disagree, but no doubt you will want to be the one to "throw the final dice" so bring it on! The only danger there, of course is that it will be seen as bickering, but there again - "up to you."

1 hour ago, sambum said:

It's pretty pointless to have a discussion with someone who "U turns" as much as you do!

So why are you then?  Are you having fun trying to pick arguments?  Or are you simply being boring and petty?

You twist everything around, point out typing mistakes, debate the difference between walking / climbing up a waterfall / trail,  between off / on a road, see implications where there were none, go off topic about rubbish dumps in Koh Samui,..... 

and then finally say if I respond to your comments replying to ME, I am wanting an argument, throwing the final dice, and bickering.  

I see you had another thread about warning signs shut down already... are you trying to get this one closed too?  Were you a sign maker in your previous employment because you see obsessed with signage, pamphlets and posters for some reason.  

Now I have 'thrown the final dice' I am off for a walk / stroll / ramble over / to a friends house.  I will be sure to keep an eye out for any warning signs I come across / see / pass by on / off the road side.  

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

So why are you then?  Are you having fun trying to pick arguments?  Or are you simply being boring and petty?

You twist everything around, point out typing mistakes, debate the difference between walking / climbing up a waterfall / trail,  between off / on a road, see implications where there were none, go off topic about rubbish dumps in Koh Samui,..... 

and then finally say if I respond to your comments replying to ME, I am wanting an argument, throwing the final dice, and bickering.  

I see you had another thread about warning signs shut down already... are you trying to get this one closed too?  Were you a sign maker in your previous employment because you see obsessed with signage, pamphlets and posters for some reason.  

Now I have 'thrown the final dice' I am off for a walk / stroll / ramble over / to a friends house.  I will be sure to keep an eye out for any warning signs I come across / see / pass by on / off the road side.  

Thanks for the confirmation!

P.S. My previous thread was closed because there was already a similar thread on the same topic already running.

P.P.S. You brought the  "argument" into the thread by your original post:- "Too much time spent indoors and poking a phone screen I think." 

Have a nice walk! Bye Bye!

17 hours ago, sambum said:

Thanks for the confirmation!

P.S. My previous thread was closed because there was already a similar thread on the same topic already running.

P.P.S. You brought the  "argument" into the thread by your original post:- "Too much time spent indoors and poking a phone screen I think." 

Have a nice walk! Bye Bye!

A.PNG

Funny how the British Embassy steps in to help when a "celebrity" is involved.  It turns out the man is former EastEnders actor Paul Nicholls.

All the gory details here:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/4048133/ex-eastenders-star-paul-nicholls-hospitalised-after-plummeting-from-thai-jungle-waterfall-and-spending-three-days-trapped-with-a-smashed-leg/

Archived