Briton survives three days in the jungle after Samui waterfall plunge

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair play to the Thais. I recently grounded my car whilst reversing off a parking slab outside a shop that only had a slope for half its width, so had a wheel hanging off a two foot drop. My stupid fault.

within two minutes five Thai guys came from a nearby building site and lifted my car back on to the slab. They were even embarrassed to take a tip. 

Thanks Chiang Mai site builders, you were great. Parking slab builders, not so great! 

7 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

1,5 year ago at same falls.

The whole rope thingy looks a bit dodgy. IMO the area should be closed off to visitors at this point but ideally the local government should give the property owner some time and money to construct proper walkways and stairs. 

7 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

Fair play to the Thais. I recently grounded my car whilst reversing off a parking slab outside a shop that only had a slope for half its width, so had a wheel hanging off a two foot drop. My stupid fault.

within two minutes five Thai guys came from a nearby building site and lifted my car back on to the slab. They were even embarrassed to take a tip. 

Thanks Chiang Mai site builders, you were great. Parking slab builders, not so great! 

I always found Thais to be quite helpful. Not so much with directions, but with helping out when your vehicle breaks down or when you fall down while walking etc.

Fall down walking ?

If I want to go from Lamai to Mae Nam, I take the jungle route so for me it's kind of a main road. Pretty well built and I am not quite sure why not more people are taking it during the daytime.

As a man of advanced years, and an afficiado of Bundy OP rum, I find it quite easy to fall down while walking!

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Our prayers are with him and we hope his recovery is speedy. One thing is sure he live each day henceforth knowing how lucky he is to be alive and enjoy life's good things be it the warmth of the sun, wine , women or song. 

Those that have posted  negative comments about this story could use another beer, another pill or to wake up to the good people and things in life.  Most people on the planet are good regardless of their race, the flag they support, economic ability, or job. In times like these you see people helping others for nothing more than a sense of decency and humanity which is refreshing.  Congrats to all involved who saved this man's life. 

3 hours ago, wvavin said:

Seems like the British have a great tendency of injury or death in this country.

A good number of seems like I can list them here:

1. Stomach ulcer- caused by a bacteria at first seems like stress causing it.

2. Malaria- in old days seems like the bad gas at swamp lands caused it

3. An aircraft crashed into snow cap mountain in Andes (south America) covered

by snow for 40 years later found, seems like UFO had kidnapped the aircraft.

4. Seems like British have a great tendency of injury or death in Thailand, may be

British are the largest number of tourists visiting Thailand so higher number of

death or accidents, it gives the impression, only statistic can tell us. Is the

Thai government willing to publish the real statistic figure? I doubt it.

by now every one should know most islands are dangerous to visit and every one has to think about how to minimize danger.

No one will ever tell you or warn you of any dangers on roads, in the sea with jetskis, power boats, in the air parasailing, in the jungle because mobiles are not working and locals are totally irresponsible not registered and not even trained properly to deal with the public.

It is not haven but can become Hell.....because the islanders own the islands...

Noe one remind you the rainy season can attract deadly jelly fish of course any one stung die on the spot like this Man from Bangkok snorkeling in front of his family.

To protect Tourism ..........hiding the danger is murdering people......

2 hours ago, brd said:

by now every one should know most islands are dangerous to visit and every one has to think about how to minimize danger.

No one will ever tell you or warn you of any dangers on roads, in the sea with jetskis, power boats, in the air parasailing, in the jungle because mobiles are not working and locals are totally irresponsible not registered and not even trained properly to deal with the public.

It is not haven but can become Hell.....because the islanders own the islands...

Noe one remind you the rainy season can attract deadly jelly fish of course any one stung die on the spot like this Man from Bangkok snorkeling in front of his family.

To protect Tourism ..........hiding the danger is murdering people......

You better stay in Bangkok, where the locals are responsible and trained properly.

The durian farmer closest to the waterfall must have been totally irresponsible and not trained to handle an alone tourist hiking in jungle.

BTW, it's not rainy season in the Gulf now, it's in November.

7 hours ago, saakura said:

"Sanook reported that it was lucky that a local had seen his bike or the tourist may have died at the scene."

And had he died, the speculations from both police (suicide) and TV (murder) would have begun.

Only in YOUR mind.

Good to see a happy ending.

7 hours ago, saakura said:

"Sanook reported that it was lucky that a local had seen his bike or the tourist may have died at the scene."

And had he died, the speculations from both police (suicide) and TV (murder) would have begun.

And the TV detectives Screaming murdered by the mafia and citing his broken leg as evidence!

6 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

It's not on the main road, it's on the shortcut road through the mountains.

6 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

It's not on the main road, it's on the shortcut road through the mountains.

Post says "It's just off the main road from Lamai to Mae Nam."

5 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Fall down walking ?

Sorry, English is not my first language. I meant 'to trip/stumble/slip' when there is no obstacle. Just oneself walking silly and subsequently hitting the ground. Is there a word for it? Happens to me every now and then when my ankle just kinda loses balance and snaps to the inside or outside. Sorry for OT.

14 minutes ago, sambum said:

Post says "It's just off the main road from Lamai to Mae Nam."

I think we've established earlier that while the road technically being a proper built main road, it receives far less traffic (maybe less than 1%) compared to the other route using the main road through Chaweng. But in general, this area is far from "remote". I used to ride my scooter all over the place and even on the smallest little dirt roads I always met other people, mostly farmers. I guess this guy was just unlucky that it took days for someone to arrive. While not that popular, it's not like the waterfall is unknown to the masses. And yes, it is only a couple of minutes from the "main road" connecting Lamai and Mae Nam so quite accessible.

Since you access this waterfall from the top, could it be that there was other people within these three days who just didn't hear or see the guy? From the other article, its 25 metres to the bottom of the falls. With water rushing past it might be quite difficult at the bottom to hear people talking when they're at the top.

My post of just a matter of days ago regarding warning signs was mocked by quite a few posters a few days ago and it was closed by the Mods and readers referred to another post which merely gave the details of the previous nearly fatal accident.

Now another accident - not life threatening in itself, but due to the remoteness of the area, could well have resulted in a fatality.

OK, some people are stupid by not taking sensible precautions, but I see no harm in  alerting people to possible dangers that they may have overlooked, or nor be aware of, either by signs, or posters, pamphlets etc.

Have you seen the video with the rope? Pretty silly to go down there on your own. I think you are pretty safe as long as you got your mobile with you. This guy was a bit unlucky that it didn't work. Usually you can get a least a 2G signal (unless you have AIS who phased it out). Leaving tracks or hiking through the jungle alone is really just asking for it... shouldn't be attempted.

As for your warning signs: I think signs warning tourists of not that obvious dangers like jellyfish and rip currents are sufficient. You wanna place signs "Slippery rocks" or something? An idiot can see that they are slippery. 

21 minutes ago, wump said:

Sorry, English is not my first language. I meant 'to trip/stumble/slip' when there is no obstacle. Just oneself walking silly and subsequently hitting the ground. Is there a word for it? Happens to me every now and then when my ankle just kinda loses balance and snaps to the inside or outside. Sorry for OT.

Is there a word for it? Can't think of a word for it but I find that the expression "a**e over t*t" quite apt!  

Archived