Hardcore price hikes on flights online to bkk

Rc2702

For years I have booked last minute and got a better deal for delights and I'm looking at the market for flights to bkk now and I'm not seeing anywhere near the pricing I have had before at this time of year.

Seeing a lot of £500 flights but no proper £260 bargains.

I use farecompare.com anyone got good site for low cost fairs?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bear in mind we're in high season.  I can't speak for flights originating elsewhere, but flights from the US to just about anywhere will be up from the last weekend of May through the first weekend of September.  One year I bought a flight from east coast to Bkk for 2nd Sunday of Sept and it was app. half of what it would have been the week before.  I don't know what the dates would be for UK.

Also, some airlines aren't much involved with the flight booking sites, so it is worth taking a few minutes to check their own web sites -- I've had some luck with this with Eva in the past.

Funny i thought flights to Thailand were more expensive because it was LOW season over there, and because the Weather isn't great, there are LESS flights, so less competition?. This is the high season in Europe though, and all flights there are cheap within Europe.

Flights to Thailand get cheap again when you fly in it's better travelling seasons. Start  September onwards. This also seems to apply to other countries which have similar weather patterns, like in SE Asia, and Latin America.

Edited by chris455

Your lucky you always got good deals for last minute flights.  That's normally not always the case.  At times, you can really get screwed.  The sweet time for purchasing is normally 2-4 weeks before.  Normally.

http://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2015-03-10/the-best-time-to-buy-an-airplane-ticket-and-when-we-actually-buy

"There is no secret time. You need to look four times a day—minimum—every day of the week, as far in advance as you can."

https://www.cheapair.com/blog/travel-tips/when-to-buy-airline-tickets-based-on-1-5-billion-airfares/

Once inside of 14 days they shot up pretty significantly.

I have just made some bookings and found the same issue...BUT if you read the statistics recently on TV... it may be a sign of the substantial increase in overseas tourists reported...ie, gone are the empty seats..and also as the Thai middle class increases there are  many more students coming and going from all over the world..all ferreting out those cheap tickets we are all hunting for!

1 hour ago, rosst said:

Bear in mind the ratchet marketing on enquiries for airfares, it registers your ip and the price escalates the more you access. 

Try another ip or a VPN

I always clear my cache with CCleaner, seems to do the trick too. :thumbsup:

Rc2702 maybe some TV members can help you?

Where would you like to fly from to BKK, single or return? Leaving now upto what date, if returning what estimated date?

Any other preferences or just cheapest price?

Who will be able to find the best deal?

2 hours ago, rosst said:

Bear in mind the ratchet marketing on enquiries for airfares, it registers your ip and the price escalates the more you access. 

Try another ip or a VPN

This myth has been debunked that many times it surprises me it's still been spread.

Not only does it not make any sense, but it's simply not true.

8 minutes ago, psyvolt said:

This myth has been debunked that many times it surprises me it's still been spread.

Not only does it not make any sense, but it's simply not true.

Pretty much every article I've read says this is true.  Hmmm....

7 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Pretty much every article I've read says this is true.  Hmmm....

You need to read more articles then, and actually think about it for a minute.

It simply makes absolutely no sense for the airlines to think to themselves "well here's a customer that's obviously not sure whether to book or not, and are probably shopping around. I know what will make them book - ill raise the cost of the flight"

11 minutes ago, psyvolt said:

You need to read more articles then, and actually think about it for a minute.

It simply makes absolutely no sense for the airlines to think to themselves "well here's a customer that's obviously not sure whether to book or not, and are probably shopping around. I know what will make them book - ill raise the cost of the flight"

I do read the articles.  And travel a lot!  I've actually experienced this.  Fired up the VPN, cleared the cache and cookies, opened a private window, and saw different prices.  Sure, could have been due to price changes.  But there are some who still advocate this practice.  And some don't.

https://www.smartertravel.com/2017/06/19/7-mistakes-avoid-booking-flight/

In fact, even the type of computer you use can affect what fares and options booking engines show you; Orbitz CEO Barney Harford admitted a few years back that the site began recommending different (usually pricier) hotels to Mac users than to PC users.

http://www.johnnyjet.com/why-you-should-delete-your-cookies-when-booking-travel/

Try Kayak and momondo........But u must realise prices always rise significantly about this time as the kids break up for their school Summer holidays in the UK and the USA and I presume in Europe. For this reason, if I wnat a mid-summer pap pap holiday in Thailand, I book at the end of June to beat the price hike.

5 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

Try Kayak and momondo........But u must realise prices always rise significantly about this time as the kids break up for their school Summer holidays in the UK and the USA and I presume in Europe. For this reason, if I wnat a mid-summer pap pap holiday in Thailand, I book at the end of June to beat the price hike.

I've not had much luck with Kayak lately.  Keeps giving me prices from consolidators.  I'm now using Skyscanner.  So far, working pretty good.  In the end, I go direct, even if the price is a bit more.

4 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

I've not had much luck with Kayak lately.  Keeps giving me prices from consolidators.  I'm now using Skyscanner.  So far, working pretty good.  In the end, I go direct, even if the price is a bit more.

Yes u right they have become devious, but if u tweak the filters and click for 'All airlines'  u can still get the cheapest flights. When I booked there were hundreds of cheap flights, for obvious reasons, with Turkish Airlines, so I had to filter them out. Mind u, I dont know why I bother as momondo.com seems to offer the same selection of flights more straightforwardly and honestly, and their site is very versatile, flexible and easier to use to check different dates and prices. I havent checked Skyscanner for years. Must be a reason but I cannot recall why. Maybe they r included on momondo. I do like the price alert email facility on kayak.

I have experienced this price increase based on inquires.  I had a cousin in the states who was a contract programmer for an airline.  He just smirked at me when I accuses him of doing this.  I totally believe bit is true.    If you can think it it is pretty much going on this day and age.   And when you look at airfare to get a rough idea and then a few days later and the price is up or even in a few hours then check on another up or say your phone and they are lower you will believe the airlines are doing this.   I can assure you it makes you desperate to finalize your plans and push the book it button.   

15 minutes ago, Elkski said:

when you look at airfare to get a rough idea and then a few days later and the price is up or even in a few hours then check on another up or say your phone and they are lower you will believe the airlines are doing this.   I can assure you it makes you desperate to finalize your plans and push the book it button.   

No, thats called supply and demand and as fare buckets are sold, it goes to the next fare bucket.

And yes, some airlines have a different price structure if your booking on an app on your phone via a computer. Air Aisa X quite often have sales for app fares only, so always good to look at multiple devices for flights. Still doesn't prove they use cookies to manipulate airfares depending if your a repeat website viewer.

Cheap 'last minute fares'?? That's something i have almost never experienced. Usually book at least 2-3 months in advance for cheap deals, and travel during the travelling season, or pay more for travelling at the wrong times!

July is not a good time to be in Thailand anyway. You should have really booked earlier, and not left it to chance, if cheapness was your priority.

Edited by chris455

4 hours ago, bberrythailand said:

July and August, flights have never been cheap, you have been dreaming.

It's now vacation all over the world and people are travelling, why would flights be cheap ?

Maybe in your world...its a big place.

4 hours ago, chris455 said:

Cheap 'last minute fares'?? That's something i have almost never experienced. Usually book at least 2-3 months in advance for cheap deals, and travel during the travelling season, or pay more for travelling at the wrong times!

July is not a good time to be in Thailand anyway. You should have really booked earlier, and not left it to chance, if cheapness was your priority.

I suppose I can push the boat out a bit as my next flight will be my last long haul for at least a year fingers crossed.

Been jumping between uk and thailand for 5 years 3 flights a year and never paid more than £450 return even with thai airways.

I have always found cheap deals 2 days or closer to time of flying but it does not appear to be the case this time.

On 7/13/2017 at 2:43 PM, bendejo said:

Bear in mind we're in high season.  I can't speak for flights originating elsewhere, but flights from the US to just about anywhere will be up from the last weekend of May through the first weekend of September.  One year I bought a flight from east coast to Bkk for 2nd Sunday of Sept and it was app. half of what it would have been the week before.  I don't know what the dates would be for UK.

Also, some airlines aren't much involved with the flight booking sites, so it is worth taking a few minutes to check their own web sites -- I've had some luck with this with Eva in the past.

High season is not July, or never has been by any definition I am aware of

9 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

High season is not July, or never has been by any definition I am aware of

It is summer and the peak travel season for Americans.  And Europeans. 

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/thailand/planning-a-trip/when-to-go

Low season is generally composed of the odd rainy afternoon, significant savings, and a lot more elbowroom. Because this coincides with school holidays in the U.S. and Europe, there is a mini high season in July/August when families head for the kingdom.

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

OK.  I will take the original post I was commenting on as meaning High season in the USA, and not Thailand. All a point of reference

Actually I take that back.  While many people do travel during the Summer in the USA, I assure you  that here in Florida it is not considered High season. heck it is hotter and more humid than Thailand is right now in many areas.  Florida is a swamp with the general water table not far down from the surface

The Tourist High season would occur when the Thailand weather is at it's most favorable. This means from December to March, to most people. (There is an exception and that is when the Southern Islands of Ko Samui, Ko Pangan, etc, become favorable again in June, when the weather in the rest of the country is hot, humid, and rainy.)

Therefore Dec to March, you'll have lots of competition and low airfares. Any other times, prices will rise accordingly.