Chonburi woman has her leg broken at a traditional Thai massage shop

webfact

Chonburi woman has her leg broken at a traditional Thai massage shop

3am.jpg

Picture: Kapook

CHONBURI/PATTAYA: -- The family of a woman who had her leg broken while having a traditional Thai massage have gone to the media for justice after the owner of the shop went back on a promise to pay her bills.

Kapook reported that 59 year old Pimyanee Thanwongsakun had visited the shop in Samet district.

The massage was done by the male owner of the shop, a man called Thanaphop Klachingchai, 50.

Pimyanee's daughter Saranya, 25, told reporters that in the course of the massage Thanaphop broke her mother's right leg near the knee. She had to go to hospital to have it pinned and needs further urgent treatment.

Initially the owner of the shop promised to pay for the treatment but he has since reneged on this, said the daughter who added that a complaint had been filed with Samet police in the matter.

Pimyanee was a regular visitor to a massage shop but this washer first time at this particular establishment, said Kapook.

Thaivisa notes that the kind of massage advertised by the shop is referred to as "jap sen" in Thai and can involve considerable pressure being exerted.

Source: Kapook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-07-14

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had one of those "real" Thai massages once.

If I ever get the urge to receive similar treatment again I will save myself a few hundred baht by just insulting a motosi taxi driver in front of his mates.

Edited by Enoon

This massage shop owner is obviously unaware of the power of social media.

Silly bugger should have just paid up for the ladies treatment, and that would have been the end of the matter.

Now after not paying up, he risks losing his business and livelihood, silly man.

I dare say he got a little carried away, fortunately for me, I changed my mind about doing a Thai massage course, the reality being that I would have probably snapped a few female necks, because of the horny bugger than I am 555

I am not sure if this was  the fault of the massage. Leg bones don't break easy.  I wonder if she had a problem with her bone may be a big cyst that was unknown - or even worse a tumour. The x-ray would show this clearly.

My wife had a lady come to our house to give her a massage who would stand on top of her as she was lying on the floor, a largish lady 60 kilo at least.  

Another time she went to see a blind masseur and came back with two red thumb prints from the pressure that he had been applying on her shoulders. A lot of power in Thai massage.

I had massage once in Udon at a fancy spa place recommended by a mate.
I am a fairly big guy so they got the biggest strongest woman in the place to do the massage and she almost killed me....bent me in very direction she could...
Worst massage I ever had and it cost a fortune to get tortured in the process.
I now stick to the cheap little massage places and always try to young a young small woman....far safer

Sent from my SM-A520F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I think there are quite a lot of "traditional massage" joints that have no training at all, or certification from non-accredited "training schools".
I am often having to tell masseuses "not so hard!". They seem to think that just because I am very big everything must be done at maximum effort. Crushing muscles against the bone is counter-therapeutic, I do not care what "tradition" is involved.
The woman may indeed have a little osteoporosis going on. A truly trained person would take the client's age into account and not snap a leg bone to the extent of needing surgery and pinning. My personal masseuse will not do certain procedures simply because I am diabetic and bruise easily because of some meds. If we go out she always tells the shop people where we go.

She needs to get an MRI bone density scan as she may have osteopenia or  osteoporosis from lack of minerals and vitamin D.  If her bones are brittle, her hips could break next from her weight. 

If her bones are brittle, a defense attorney could argue there was no negligence on the part of the defendant. This is probably the reason why he declined to make any payments.

However, with said added stress procedure, they should always ask a customer if they have a history or ever been diagnosed with a bone density problem.   Especially with women.  If in fact she was diagnosed with osteopenia or osteoporosis and he didn't ask, a plaintiff attorney would argue negligence.   Then a  contributory negligence argument could arise,  because of the fact that she didn't disclose her medical condition, depending on local laws.

1 hour ago, sawadee1947 said:

There is no medical benefit in "Thai" massage at all. It's common sense but still people believe in it.

There are actually a number of medical studies that contradict that.
While not the "miracle cure" that some proponents would claim, it has been proven to have a number of beneficial results, including beneficial hormonal changes which are quantitatively significant and not merely subjective "feelings".
"Feel good" hormones such as serotonin, oxytocin, and dopamine have been shown to increase, while the stress hormones such as epinephrine decrease in response to massage stimuli.
Particularly noticeable to me is a visible decrease in pitting edema in my feet and legs, which my partner has remarked upon as well. Good enough for me

2 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

There is no medical benefit in "Thai" massage at all. It's common sense but still people believe in it.

I used to have terrible pain in my both hips when I stand still for few minutes so, I went to TBMI Thai blind massage institute and told the masseur about it then he told me to come back again at least three more times.   Surprisingly the pain is no longer felt.

I no longer go to Thai massage. There are a few "techniques" they employ, which I can't believe are beneficial.

1. Stopping the blood flow to limbs.

2. Pinching nerves against the bone, sending an "electric shock" down the limb.

3. Yanking fingers, toes and limbs so they crack.

4. Forceably twisting the spine using their legs.

5. Bending the neck left, right and forward  as far as they can and then some.

6. Walking on the back.

7. Using excessive force and refusing to stop.

We have pain receptors for a reason.

"No pain, no gain" should not apply to a massage performed by somebody with no theoretical knowledge of the human anatomy and with just a few days of "training" by a friend, who was also taught by a friend.... 

18 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

There are actually a number of medical studies that contradict that.
While not the "miracle cure" that some proponents would claim, it has been proven to have a number of beneficial results, including beneficial hormonal changes which are quantitatively significant and not merely subjective "feelings".
"Feel good" hormones such as serotonin, oxytocin, and dopamine have been shown to increase, while the stress hormones such as epinephrine decrease in response to massage stimuli.
Particularly noticeable to me is a visible decrease in pitting edema in my feet and legs, which my partner has remarked upon as well. Good enough for me

NO

Your benefits cannot be validated. Only for some joint problems or a VERY SHORT TIME only, but same results by biking.

And if you consider the "education", meaning receiving your certificate after 1-3 days then you would not enter any shop. You can't compare it with Physiotherapy !!! which is a medical treatment. And more costly of course

22 minutes ago, nasanews said:

I used to have terrible pain in my both hips when I stand still for few minutes so, I went to TBMI Thai blind massage institute and told the masseur about it then he told me to come back again at least three more times.   Surprisingly the pain is no longer felt.

If you go into a temple for praying you get the same result.

Go to a Physiotherapist or to a Chiropractor, then you will get medical based help.

14 minutes ago, 12DrinkMore said:

I no longer go to Thai massage. There are a few "techniques" they employ, which I can't believe are beneficial.

6. Walking on the back.

"No pain, no gain" should not apply to a massage performed by somebody with no theoretical knowledge of the human anatomy and with just a few days of "training" by a friend, who was also taught by a friend.... 

You are absolutely right !!! It's a TRADITIONAL kind of treatment without any medical background. (you can obtain your certificate within 1-3 days!!!) If a doctor would tell you he was trained for 3 days you would trust him??????

How many cases about "accidents" with traditional Thai massage do we hear about in the news..?
–I still believe it's many fold safer to receive traditional Thai massage in a massage shop, than being outside in the traffic...:whistling:

NO

Your benefits cannot be validated. Only for some joint problems or a VERY SHORT TIME only, but same results by biking.

And if you consider the "education", meaning receiving your certificate after 1-3 days then you would not enter any shop. You can't compare it with Physiotherapy !!! which is a medical treatment. And more costly of course

YES.
What pray tell are your medical research credentials?

You summarily dismiss the entire subject as predicated on "meaning receiving your certificate after 1-3 day", which is far from the case for those who receive certificates via:
 " The first one is Thai massage and traditional herbal medicine taught in university as national certificates.
Lecturers from Association of Traditional Thai massage medicine held lectures at many universities
such as the U
niversity of Mahidol and the University of Rajapat.
The course comprises of three years program and the certificates will be given to graduates.
(800 hours a year for Thai massage and further two years for herbal remedy)

Furthermore, you ignored or dismissed the commentary on studies at medical universities which have established the connection between massage therapy and measured effects on brain chemistry, etc.
In this arena at least you are demonstrated to be not well informed, IMO.

You are absolutely right !!! It's a TRADITIONAL kind of treatment without any medical background. (you can obtain your certificate within 1-3 days!!!) If a doctor would tell you he was trained for 3 days you would trust him??????

Bullshit, pure and simple. You cannot receive a government certificate in a three-day course. It must be from a government accredited program, although I expect you are one of the sorts who declaims everything Thai is no good, suspect, etc.
As with anything, are you going to trust a chiropractor with a strip mall storefront practice, or go to someone with a professional office?
Same with Thai massage places. The storefront places are likely just fine for a foot massage, but for more serious needs look at the credentials.
By the way, a massage is very different from a medical consultation. That is a faulty analogy in the apples vs oranges area. See ibid about 'Thai massage is not the miracle cure that some proponents claim'.

21 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

YES.
What pray tell are your medical research credentials?

You summarily dismiss the entire subject as predicated on "meaning receiving your certificate after 1-3 day", which is far from the case for those who receive certificates via:
 " The first one is Thai massage and traditional herbal medicine taught in university as national certificates.
Lecturers from Association of Traditional Thai massage medicine held lectures at many universities
such as the U
niversity of Mahidol and the University of Rajapat.
The course comprises of three years program and the certificates will be given to graduates.
(800 hours a year for Thai massage and further two years for herbal remedy)

Furthermore, you ignored or dismissed the commentary on studies at medical universities which have established the connection between massage therapy and measured effects on brain chemistry, etc.
In this arena at least you are demonstrated to be not well informed, IMO.

I will not discourage or disappoint you but international medical science is not on your side. But you'll not hurt me if you still believe in it. :smile:

THAI MASSAGE.PNG

20 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

I will not discourage or disappoint you but international medical science is not on your side. But you'll not hurt me if you still believe in it. :smile:

THAI MASSAGE.PNG

Disputandem est. ONE citation from ONE event does not make your point, and you persist in not addressing my points at all.
The Mayo Clinic amongst many recommends massage therapy. Insurance companies today will approve payment for massage therapy.
Again, you would seem to dispute the entire subject because it has "Thai" attached to it.
I will leave you to enjoy your self satisfied ignorance.
**removed**

2 hours ago, 12DrinkMore said:

6. Walking on the back.

A few very good points, but not done by all Thai masseurs.
You DO have input on what you want, and if they refuse to stop then get up and walk out.
As I have stated in several posts, check the credentials. Bad habit of mine to look at the "brag wall" of any doctor I see.
If they do not have a certificate of training displayed, then do not use their service.