In detention right now about to be deported

Those with immigration-issued extensions of stay should not need to show money at all.  Probably a good idea with the bank books for them, just in case.
But note that bank-books and statements will do you Little to No Good At All with an MFA-issued "Visa" - if an IO wants to "see the money" - though they might help if shown in addition to the money, upon further questioning, to show the foreign-origin of your funds.

Thanks for the long and informative answer. I will definitely only get one from Cambodia then, I don't want no stamps like that. Then I suppose back to loas or maybe Malaysia. That's If I am still here by then. I don't think I will bother with HCMC as I don't want to fly in.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, juice777 said:

Thanks for the long and informative answer. I will definitely only get one from Cambodia then, I don't want no stamps like that. Then I suppose back to loas or maybe Malaysia. That's If I am still here by then. I don't think I will bother with HCMC as I don't want to fly in.

If using HCMC, I'd fly out to HCMC, then fly back to Penang or Vientiane, cross to Thailand, then take domestic-air or bus from there.  A quality, overnight VIP bus from Nong Khai to Bangkok isn't bad, though not much cheaper than a flight.  It comes down to flight-timing, as to which is more convenient.  Just make sure "VIP" really means 3 seats across - not 4 - you can see it on their "seat picker" screen.  If traveling alone, get the seat by itself.

Edited by JackThompson

51 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I can't recall one thread where a bank book or card was sufficient for an IO, can you?

The few threads we have here on TV are for people that was picked out of the queue , IO felt they had a reason to do so .  The majority of us (95%)  will never get in this situation. We have the proper visa and that's all that matters.   

• Like 1

The few threads we have here on TV are for people that was picked out of the queue , IO felt they had a reason to do so .  The majority of us (95%)  will never get in this situation. We have the proper visa and that's all that matters.   

The point is having a bank book or card at the ready is pointless as cash equivalent of 10k/20k or travellers cheques is required

25 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

The point is having a bank book or card at the ready is pointless as cash equivalent of 10k/20k or travellers cheques is required

That might be the "requirements" but if you're a millionaire and are being denied because you didn't bring 20k in cash with you.  I am sure it will be a big news story when that happens.  

And if you are not allowed to walk to the nearest ATM to cash it out. That was my point. 

Until that happens I am not going to change anything. 

I think they look for younger people , and multiple ED visas might look suspicious to the IO.  

2 minutes ago, balo said:

That might be the "requirements" but if you're a millionaire and are being denied because you didn't bring 20k in cash with you.  I am sure it will be a big news story when that happens.  

And if you are not allowed to walk to the nearest ATM to cash it out. That was my point. 

Until that happens I am not going to change anything. 

I think they look for younger people , and multiple ED visas might look suspicious to the IO.  

For the sake of 20k your willing to be denied entry to prove a point. Lol. Good luck

Edited by jeab1980

I don't have to worry , I will not be denied , my visa is fine .  

However if I challenged the system by using multiple ED / tourist visas just to be able to live in Thailand , I WOULD bring 20k with me.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, balo said:

No they are all retired and have the correct visa , they don't have to worry at all.  

And I will not encourage them to bring 20k in cash just because of this story . They could get robbed on the way. Show your bank books instead and bring your credit card. That's all you need. 

You might be taking my comment out of context I think

18 minutes ago, balo said:

I don't have to worry , I will not be denied , my visa is fine .  

However if I challenged the system by using multiple ED / tourist visas just to be able to live in Thailand , I WOULD bring 20k with me.  

So a multiple ED visa is wrong? How so if someone is studying full time over a period of years you say they are challenging the system. As for i will never be challenged lol. Time will tell

Just now, jeab1980 said:

How so if someone is studying full time over a period of years

Yes that is different , but I suspect most travellers want to stay in Thailand for other reasons than to study for years.....

3 minutes ago, balo said:

Yes that is different , but I suspect most travellers want to stay in Thailand for other reasons than to study for years.....

So you change your view when challenged. But still insist "Most" in your view are challenging the system. Laughable if i may say so.

Edited by jeab1980

4 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

So a multiple ED visa is wrong? How so if someone is studying full time over a period of years you say they are challenging the system. As for i will never be challenged lol. Time will tell

Those who study at a university are able to obtain 1 year renewable extensions of stay off the back of an ED visa without difficulty. 

The Ed visa "crackdown" was aimed at those 'attending' language 'schools' who used the visa for anything other than study 

• Like 2

Don't be silly , I am talking about younger travellers clearly misusing the ED/Tourist route .

We older folks over 50 with visas based on retirement are not the ones in trouble here, unless you act like an idiot. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, perthperson said:

The Ed visa "crackdown" was aimed at those 'attending' language 'schools' who used the visa for anything other than study 

Exactly 

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

If using HCMC, I'd fly out to HCMC, then fly back to Penang or Vientiane, cross to Thailand, then take domestic-air or bus from there.  A quality, overnight VIP bus from Nong Khai to Bangkok isn't bad, though not much cheaper than a flight.  It comes down to flight-timing, as to which is more convenient.  Just make sure "VIP" really means 3 seats across - not 4 - you can see it on their "seat picker" screen.  If traveling alone, get the seat by itself.

Sorry just a small point but I don't agree with your advice on suggested destinations at all. Those routes are not only very expensive but also take hours because they involve detours to places like Hanoi and  Pakse if heading to Laos.

You could just travel by bus with a company like Giant Ibis from Ho Chi Minh City to Phnom Penh (about 6 hours) and then another Giant Ibis bus from Cambodia to Bangkok

http://giantibis.com/

7 minutes ago, balo said:

Don't be silly , I am talking about younger travellers clearly misusing the ED/Tourist route .

We older folks over 50 with visas based on retirement are not the ones in trouble here, unless you act like an idiot. 

Also younger real tourists are not in trouble.

People staying in Thailand long time on tourist or ED visa potentially are.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, perthperson said:

Those who study at a university are able to obtain 1 year renewable extensions of stay off the back of an ED visa without difficulty. 

I was responding to the other poster who said those on mutiple ED visa were challenging the system.  Pointing out he was infact wrong. A point you yourself have reiterated thank you.

Edited by jeab1980

15 minutes ago, balo said:

But you failed to say that instead classing all on ED visa's as challenging the system.you honestly belive you retired visa folk are mot challenging  the system in some way or other! Many threads on here disprove your theory.

Edited by jeab1980

7 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

But you failed to say that instead classing all on ED visa's as challenging the system.you honestly belive you retired visa folk are mot challenging  the system in some way or other! Many threads on here disprove your theory.

From my understanding the 'retired visa folk' with valid extensions of stay are quite legal and not challenging the system in any way, shape or form.

What is the point you are trying to make?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, balo said:

18 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Funny exchange. I remember, back in France, someone observing that the majority of drug dealers were either Africans or Arabs. It triggered a huge outcry as everyone understood +all Arabs and Africans were drug dealers".

And now it has become unlawful to use produce racial criteria when producing statistics.

Just now, Momofarang said:

Funny exchange. I remember, back in France, someone observing that the majority of drug dealers were either Africans or Arabs. It triggered a huge outcry as everyone understood +all Arabs and Africans were drug dealers".

And now it has become unlawful to use produce racial criteria when producing statistics.

An accurate observation. Political Correctness does prevent the truth being told. 

38 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

From my understanding the 'retired visa folk' with valid extensions of stay are quite legal and not challenging the system in any way, shape or form.

Many use agents to get conversions and 1-year extensions for which they do not have the requisite finances.  This is widely reported.  I would bet good money that there are FAR more people breaking the law to get retirement-extensions, than any other type of visa. 

In the case of ED and Tourists, they are not being harassed for breaking the law / rules - but by following them to the letter, or for assuming that "having sufficient funds" means having access to the funds - not carrying a wad of cash around in a money-belt.  ED-users who don't attend classes can do so when someone the local immigration office is in on the game - so, easy to see where the "fix" is needed - and this cannot be done with changing policies for travelers at the airport.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

That they in some way are challenging the system. I never said the ext for retired folk  was not legal its what the retired folk get up to that may well challenge the system.

37 minutes ago, Momofarang said:

That makes my point a lot more eloquently than i could. One coment and it taints all on ED visa's wrongly.

1 hour ago, Asiantravel said:

Sorry just a small point but I don't agree with your advice on suggested destinations at all. Those routes are not only very expensive but also take hours because they involve detours to places like Hanoi and  Pakse if heading to Laos.

You could just travel by bus with a company like Giant Ibis from Ho Chi Minh City to Phnom Penh (about 6 hours) and then another Giant Ibis bus from Cambodia to Bangkok

http://giantibis.com/

Agree on the routes - many would be better to Kuala Lumpur -> Penang (still a possible layover). 

I would probably do the bus if returning from Vietnam on a serial Tourist-Visa - but some hate taking buses.  Are you sure the Giant Ibis bus runs straight through to Bangkok?  If so, does it pass through Poipet?  If so - useless.  Also note that most so called "PP to Bangkok" routes actually drop you at one side of the border, and give you a ticket for a bus on the other side;  then you have to wait a while for the "other bus" (often a mini-van) to pick you up.  When I last checked this, one pays a premium for purchasing the Thailand-route part of the journey in Cambodia.  This may have changed recently. 

There is one "real" international bus I know of, which runs from Bangkok to Siem Reap, but last I checked, they cancelled the one running to Phnom Penh.  Again, this may have changed recently. 

If there is a 'real' 3-seat-across VIP from Thailand to Phnom Penh, preferably with decent shock-absorbers, that would be a godsend for many.  I have been packed-in with motorcycle parts, fruit, wicker-goods (a huuuuge fish-trap), etc (in seats and down the isles), as the Cambodian bus-companies try to maximize profits.  Virak Buntham used to be the "least bad" option of which I was aware - but they put a moto underneath and packed the isle with our luggage (after dumping it all in the dirt, first - at the pastry shop / last-stop out of PP), on my last trip with them.

Edited by JackThompson

5 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

It is at the airport where the issue occurs....but not for bona fide tourists...any evidence of the ten of thousands of tourist who arrive here every day being asked to show 10 or 20k baht?

It would appear to be only those who are apparently trying to  stay long term by whatever means that are getting hassled.

It is common knowledge amongst the expats and immigration that an ED visa is the point of last recourse for the serial visa abuser.

Not for the genuine ED student

Wake up.....the party is over!!

So how would one go about proving whilst walking through immigration back into this country with say your 3rd ED visa. That infact you are genuine you are studying. The rules are the rules. They have published the rules on applying for an ED visa if you meet those rules you are therefore in the eyes of the law genuine. You may well not like the fact you can do an unarmed combat of close protection course over however many hrs a week over the year but its legal in the law.

• Like 1

Just curious since some folks are talking about ED visas.. Does anyone know if ED visas are standard 90 days or more? I am doing a 60 day course (non language ,where I will study full time 35 hrs a week). Any chance I will be allowed to use the visa to stay 30 days further after my course is done or will I be expected to leave right away?

Edited by Essecola