Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

In detention right now about to be deported

It is not just Thailand where people are denied due process when denied entry.  In the Us- had a friend from Italy denied entry on Visa waiver on the basis he came many times in a year- IO said suspected working. Not true- had plenty of money and didn't need to work- sent back on the next plane.

Once a person is in detention anywhere it becomes a problem to enter an appeal. I disagree with the process in Thailand and the USA- not fair in many cases but Immigration is a law unto itself.

When I was in my 20's and travelling through Europe I was detained upon entry to Dover coming from Calais.  The English IO did not believe me that I had money in the American Express Bank in London and put me into detention with a 'leave England' order. Luckily, I was able to convince him to call my mother in America and she convinced him that the funds were there . His comment was what did you do with all your money before coming to England. I stated that I drank alot of beer. He wasn't amused in the least but I gained entry. At least he was a reasonable man and gave me an opportunity to prove what I had said.  I wouldn't expect it to happen in today's World.

So in summary, it seems that whenever you enter or re-enter Thailand by air with any kind of visa, extension of stay or visa exempt you may be asked to show 20,000 Baht in cash. Is that correct?

Does the same apply to land entries?

3 minutes ago, jim hayes said:

So in summary, it seems that whenever you enter or re-enter Thailand by air with any kind of visa, extension of stay or visa exempt you may be asked to show 20,000 Baht in cash. Is that correct?

Considering the number of real tourists entering Thailand on a daily basis without any hassles, I don't think your summary is correct.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Considering the number of real tourists entering Thailand on a daily basis without any hassles, I don't think your summary is correct.

Good point, I guess the reports on here of people having problems represent only a tiny percentage of the total number of visitors. I am following this topic because I am about to fly out of Thailand ( for the first time in about 5 years) for a short trip to the UK and will return 1 week later ( I have a Non o based on marriage)  and want to be as prepared as possible. Having said that, in 15 years of visiting and living in Thailand I have never had a problem entering the country.

1 hour ago, edwardflory said:

people that have abused the system for far too long. 

But "abused the system" does not equal "people who followed the rules as the authorities wrote them."  The OP was doing the right thing - obtaining a visa legally, to attend a school he paid for.

1 hour ago, lucjoker said:

i have only 1 question, are you really going to a school ?  If so and you show the imm.off. how good you can speak and write Thai.......

He hasn't started his first day at school yet.  The 'tests' come later, but many report that those 'tests' are just a way to hand out short extensions, with the alternative of paying a bit extra to avoid any scrutiny what so ever.

47 minutes ago, stevenl said:

ED visa in the past were the easiest visa to obtain and have been abused by people who were working. ...

This is heresay, oft-repeated - never shown to be true by any study of which I am aware. Do Cambodians and Burmese have ED visas?  But they are 99% of illegal-workers.   Illegal work doesn't pay enough to cover the tuition - especially with the higher hours/wk of class-attendance required.

1 hour ago, CLW said:

How about his ED Visa and the associated school? Probably that institution is known to the immigration to issue fake documents

Then arrest the Thais, and any foreign co-owners, who own that business - to Put a Stop to that for good.

6 minutes ago, Mianoinadme said:

Yep, you're right. But everybody from a more "developed country" knows that tourists usually make sightseeing tours. But in reality, you can see teachers, dive instructors, online clerks and quite a few more who don't follow these laws. That, on the other hand, might also be the reason for the enforcement of the laws.

In that case, they would send out police to bust those illegally-working, and those hiring them - to Put A Stop to it.  But then, some of the 99% who aren't from the West, but are peasant-workers with no rights who are used and abused by rich people, might get caught in the net.  That would make some non-foreigners unhappy.

We have a similar problem in my passport-country.  Non-enforcement of hiring illegal-workers is a scourge that undermines middle-class populations, leading to an expansion of poverty and, eventually, a demand for communist so-called "solutions" from people who have lost sight of any way to get ahead through honest-work.  But what happened to the OP has exactly zero to do with that problem.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jim hayes said:

Good point, I guess the reports on here of people having problems represent only a tiny percentage of the total number of visitors. I am following this topic because I am about to fly out of Thailand ( for the first time in about 5 years) for a short trip to the UK and will return 1 week later ( I have a Non o based on marriage)  and want to be as prepared as possible. Having said that, in 15 years of visiting and living in Thailand I have never had a problem entering the country.

Based on their visa history, I am convinced these 2 denied entries were based on the IO thinking they came here to work.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

But "abused the system" does not equal "people who followed the rules as the authorities wrote them."  The OP was doing the right thing - obtaining a visa legally, to attend a school he paid for.

He hasn't started his first day at school yet.  The 'tests' come later, but many report that those 'tests' are just a way to hand out short extensions, with the alternative of paying a bit extra to avoid any scrutiny what so ever.

This is heresay, oft-repeated - never shown to be true by any study of which I am aware. Do Cambodians and Burmese have ED visas?  But they are 99% of illegal-workers.   Illegal work doesn't pay enough to cover the tuition - especially with the higher hours/wk of class-attendance required.

Then arrest the Thais, and any foreign co-owners, who own that business - to Put a Stop to that for good.

In that case, they would send out police to bust those illegally-working, and those hiring them - to Put A Stop to it.  But then, some of the 99% who aren't from the West, but are peasant-workers with no rights who are used and abused by rich people, might get caught in the net.  That would make some non-foreigners unhappy.

We have a similar problem in my passport-country.  Non-enforcement of hiring illegal-workers is a scourge that undermines middle-class populations, leading to an expansion of poverty and, eventually, a demand for communist so-called "solutions" from people who have lost sight of any way to get ahead through honest-work.  But what happened to the OP has exactly zero to do with that problem.

As usual you're taking posts out of context to suit your own opinion.

My comments regarding ED visa were, as specifically mentioned, based on the past, when they were used by people coming here to work. Your comment, especially with the higher hours' underlines that as well, and your comment regarding Cambodians and Burmese are off topic here.

26 minutes ago, jim hayes said:

Yes and Yes - though the official amount for a Visa-Exempt is 10K - I'd still bring 20K.

That said, those not coming frequently nor staying for longer-periods are unlikely to be questioned at all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, perthperson said:

Thanks ---- Is that a RETAIL bank where anyone can open an account and conduct normal everyday banking transactions?  

Perhaps where people say in USA can deposit money to an account number that can be withdrawn by someone in UK.

I doubt it's a bank in sense of a bank but it is called a bank.

Who cares?

Just wondering if the OP;'s appearance had any influence on the IO's decision.....how were you dressed on arrival, what is your physical appearance. I know it should NOT be an influence....but cant help but wonder ????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tonray said:

One case I am familiar with because I became friends with one of the ladies from Phils, she and her 2 colleagues, Fillipina and Burmese, were employed by the same Thai family originally in Hong Kong, headed by an airline exec. When he retired back to Thailand, he brought them all in, as his kids and domestic life was very familiar and he wanted everything to stay the same. I don't think he was paying them much as she said basically she had no real days off and was on call for anything at anytime.

I understand that case - but don't think re-patriated Thai-expats are a significant % of foreign-hiring.  I'd bet he got them much more stable visas, via connections.  But the 24/7 work-schedule sounds typical.  Phils I met (while in the PI) who worked in the Middle-East reported similar working-conditions plus frequent verbal and even physical abuse.  But the pay is so rotten in the Phils, they were willing to do it.

• Like 2

Really worried about this now, I am a 34 year old Brit that has been away for Thailand for the last 3 months in the UK. I keep track of this forum and seen this is the second post in the last few days that someone has been kept in detention. I am planning to get a 6 month multiple entry tourist visa before I return on 29th of this month, but I already have one 3 month tourist visa in my passport. If I carry 20k before I enter will I be ok? 

I obtained a 6 month metv October 2017 from the consulate in Cardiff.

Unless the rules have since changed one of the requirements needed to obtain said visa was to show evidence/proof of me having a minimum of 5k in a bank account for a minimum of 6 months. Enough said I'd say....... unless they've moved the goal posts again hehe!!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I think is time to get this topic back on topic. I has drifted way off topic. I may have to close it to clean it up if it does not get back on topic.

Certainly no help is being offered to the OP since he is already out of detention and is in Laos now.

Edit: And now some new off topic posts have been removed. 

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 2

First of all I feel very sorry for the thread starter. I hope he can get things solved, crossing my fingers!

Beside that I would like to "calm down" the situation a bit...reading through some posts in this thread and the other one (kohphanganlover) makes me feel many peope are in a panic mode now and fear leaving or entering Thailand. Of course you can not stay for years in Thailand without having a proper visa. But this you can't do in any country in the world!

But you can come and go (!) to Thailand as often as you want if you stick with the rules. As written in the other thread I'm coming with Visa exempts (arrive by plane, walk to immigration, get a stamp inside my passport and can stay 30 days) since several years to Thailand, always via Suvarnabhum Airport. I never had any issue. I'm from Europa and 35 years old.

I do this for at least 3-4 years now and I always stay between 10 and 15 days (never longer) and then return to Europe for my business/work. In 2016 I entered Thailand 10 times that way, in 2017 already 5 or 6 times and stayed in total around 60 days in Thailand between Jan 1 and July 1 this year.

Not sure about the procedure but if there would be an automatic "flag" I would have been flagged many times already. But never ever. Also I was never asked anything, never ever had the need to show any money.

Edit: I do usally wear a polo shirt when traveling ;-)

Edited by lemonwaterjoe
  • Like 1

Topic is now closed so I can go back and clean it up since nobody paid attention to my last post.

Edit: Open now after removing a bunch of posts.

Edit: Post are now being removed without notice. 

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

You can buy the fast track vouchers on-line and will be given one free if you ever come Business. Anyway i bought a few and use them every time.

i use the fast track lane all the time, no voucher, never been questioned

2 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

You can wear shorts and shirt and flip flops and look decent. All this toah wear long trousers shoes total hog wash. I wear what i feel comfortable in. Hang whatever anyone else thinks. Same as those who dress in long trousers shies and shirt wear what you want but for christ sake stop trying to make a big deal out of what others wear beacuse you see it as wrong

But in Thailand everything is about face. What you are for real bear no importance whatsoever. Oh forgot: if you dish out your money you'll look good, whatever you wear. Otherwise I am with you.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tryasimight said:

How many bona fide 'tourists' will have a Thai bank account?

I would think that showing a Thai bank account would confirm the intention of long term stay and be counter productive.

Why , if you have a legal visa to stay for several months at a time , you can apply for a Thai bank account. Money can be transfered from abroad and all the transactions can be tracked so no problem there. Most of my friends living in Thailand for 6 months or longer try to get a Thai bank account to avoid ATM fees.  

Anyway , I would never carry that much cash with me . But I will carry documentation that will show any immigration officer that I am not broke but good for more than 1 million baht . Maybe that helps.

2 minutes ago, dubyadee said:

Does anyone actually, 100%, unequivically know if getting a brand new passport (same name and DOB) solves this problem and wipes your slate clean? 

Seems like a mostly just read people guessing on this subject.

It doesnt wipe the slate clean

Some people have been blacklisted, gone home and got a new passport came back and and they werent allowed back into Thailand

How would a credit or debit card prove you had access to funds.  Would you have to swipe your card?  Otherwise an IO would have no way to tell if you had a valid card with an accessible balance. You all don't seem to get it, it's not about what you want, it's about what they want, get used to it.