In detention right now about to be deported

26 minutes ago, jspill said:

I'd try to ask to fly back to Laos if I can, some other guys managed to fly to Laos instead of their home country, and it may be possible since you flew from there. It varies though.

Then come in via land border, which people with a longer visa history than you have done with no issues. 

If you're sent to Germany, fly to Malaysia and come in via land border to Hat Yai then domestic flight to BKK. 

Either way have 20k baht cash on you, although at land borders they're less likely to ask, and even if you had it today maybe it wouldn't have made a difference. The guy in the other thread had 25k, it didn't help.

If his passport is stamped Denied entry they will still let him enter through a land border?

Just now, Lovethailandelite said:

If his passport is stamped Denied entry they will still let him enter through a land border?

More importantly will they let him back in at ANY border?  I thought deportation you were auto banned for while at least?  Crossy or UbonJoe will know.

2 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

His stamp will have written 'no funds' (in Thai) as the reason for the denial, he can attempt to return with 20k baht funds. I'd risk that at a land border rather than get a new passport as the Ed visa is in his current passport. 

• Like 1

I tell everyone to carry 20k when doing a visa run. Never yet been asked to show it but its there just in case. It only takes as in this case one IO enforcing the rule and a world of pain is opened up. I would suspect going by other post if denied entry you will be going back to Germany? (Home country seems to be the overiding rule for refused entry) Wonder what stamp will go in your passport. You have a non B ? Which wont have been stamped so you will have the visa for when you return.

Edited by jeab1980
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He will not be deported since he never entered the country. It is only a denial of entry.

There is no ban for being denied entry.

right that's good... topic headline should be changed maybe?

3 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

The 20k in cash requirement,

does it also apply to holders of extension of stay and a re-entry permit?

Technically no since is not a new entry with a visa. I don't recall anybody having a problem when entering with a re-entry permit.

• Like 1

Really worried about this now, I am a 34 year old Brit that has been away for Thailand for the last 3 months in the UK. I keep track of this forum and seen this is the second post in the last few days that someone has been kept in detention. I am planning to get a 6 month multiple entry tourist visa before I return on 29th of this month, but I already have one 3 month tourist visa in my passport. If I carry 20k before I enter will I be ok? 

1 minute ago, jeab1980 said:

Which i suspect would be the case if and theres the rub IF people knew about this rule. Not everyone reads Thai Visa and i for one have never seen a sign  at any land crossings or airports.

The internet and google are your friend. I have traveled to many countries and before I do I do 30 minutes of research. As the saying goes "Ignorance of the law is no excuse"

3 minutes ago, ollienglish said:

Really worried about this now, I am a 34 year old Brit that has been away for Thailand for the last 3 months in the UK. I keep track of this forum and seen this is the second post in the last few days that someone has been kept in detention. I am planning to get a 6 month multiple entry tourist visa before I return on 29th of this month, but I already have one 3 month tourist visa in my passport. If I carry 20k before I enter will I be ok? 

At this time I would go for 20k or equiv' in £ or € etc, a flight booking  out during the term of your visa and a hotel booking in hand.

Sounds OTT I know, but !!

2 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Again not everybody does that. Wonder how many tourists look at bloody google (the new font of all knowledge  not!) Before coming on Holiday?

And yet they have time to keep their faces buried in facebook and instagram while they walk into traffic. Time to be be adults if they want some respect. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, overherebc said:

At this time I would go for 20k or equiv' in £ or € etc, a flight booking  out during the term of your visa and a hotel booking in hand.

Sounds OTT I know, but !!

I have a condo on a year lease which I will be going back to. My girlfriend will be coming over from the Philippines aswell. I can do the flight out and withdraw 20k before I enter though. Just hoping I won't have any problems. Next time it could be me the one posting here in detention! 

Just now, tonray said:

And yet they have time to keep their faces buried in facebook and instagram while they walk into traffic. Time to be be adults if they want some respect. 

I have just looked up entry requirements to Thailand as a UK citizen. First one Gov UK trusted as its gov uk no where can i find on there you need 20k. Job done read all i need to know can go in saftey knowing UK gov website has reasured me

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ollienglish said:

You have nothing to worry about with your history. Just be prepared to show the equivalent of 20k baht.

14 minutes ago, manarak said:

I believe there are ATMs before immigration.

Yes, there is at least one USD ATM and as there is lots of duty free I think I have seen the occasional exchange booth (including ATM) as well.

• Like 2

germane to the topic due to the monetary requirement; so is it the case : that if i want to shop in Tachilek (myanmar) and i do the re-entry permit foolishness. upon re-entry in Mae Sai. i have to show 20000 in hand ?

(am on retirement extension)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

I have just looked up entry requirements to Thailand as a UK citizen. First one Gov UK trusted as its gov uk no where can i find on there you need 20k. Job done read all i need to know can go in saftey knowing UK gov website has reasured me

Many gov web sites are not updated as often as they should be.