In detention right now about to be deported

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

The 20k in cash requirement,

does it also apply to holders of extension of stay and a re-entry permit?

Technically no since is not a new entry with a visa. I don't recall anybody having a problem when entering with a re-entry permit.

What about guys that are living here on a Non O 90 day entry?.

11 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

I used the word "perhaps" because there is no evidence available to readers here as to what actually happened, other than the account given by the OP. In my experience people who find themselves with such problems will only ever give their side of the encounter. Human nature.

Of course, this hasn't stopped you talking in absolutes! You have completely taken the OP statements here as facts, and added your version of what the IO should have done!

Unless you were there you have no knowledge of the "real" issues.

Whether I am sympathetic or not is my prerogative, I don't need the likes of you telling me how I should think or what I should start advocating!

It is true we don't know everything about this case. 

We are discussing what has been presented only - which is the refusal of the IO to allow the OP to get the money from an ATM, and his being denied-entry for not having "cash" - which is happening with greater frequency based on many reports - not only this one.

You are welcome to your prerogative, just as I am welcome to not share it.  As you posted it in a public-forum, I am also free to not share it, or find it not relevant and/or germane to this case.  It's not personal, and I'd hope we could also disagree while having a beer.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, al007 said:

We do not know the facts

In ten years  here I have never had any problems with immigration

Generally even if one has a valid visa the immigration officer has the right to refuse entry

Try some of the tricks some of them pull and you may not even get on the aeroplanes if going to the USA

People need to read the small print and comply or they can go elsewhere

It is well known Thailand is difficult, and maybe they are correct

The current gentleman started with overstay a few days earlier, not a good start

He was also on a third tourist visa as at Nov' 2016 from HongKong or Cambodia.

Vientiane, Laos (VTE) to Bangkok (all airports)
7:00 am 8:35 am Lao Airlines 441 S M T W T F S  VTE-BKK
11:40 am 12:55 pm Bangkok Airways 944 S M T W T F S  VTE-BKK
1:20 pm 2:25 pm Thai Smile 571 S M T W T F S  VTE-BKK

6:05 pm 7:40 pm Lao Airlines 445 S M T W T F S    VTE-BKK
9:30 pm 10:35 pm Thai 575 S M T W T F S VTE-BKK

Just a few.

They also fly direct BKK to Savvanakhet and Pakse.

1 hour ago, tonray said:

We shouldn't have a cow here folks that you show about $600 bucks US for a 30 day (or more) stay. How could this be so onerous ?..I think people need to sit back and realize that this is not a big deal. If you come to a foreign country and do not have $600 bucks to support yourself then you should not be allowed in. Travelers need to start being adults and follow the rules.

What about pre VISA ATM travellers cheques or something more antiquated?

4 minutes ago, silent said:

What about pre VISA ATM travellers cheques or something more antiquated?

When I was visiting on Tourist-Visas, I used Travelers Checks for most of the required 20K Baht.  Bangkok Bank sells them. 

Note that when this "show 20K Baht" stuff started, I could not find them for sale in Cambodia (though you can cash them there), and had to enter one time with a wad of easy-to-steal cash on me - not a feeling I liked.  Maybe get a money-belt, if you want to go cash - but those are hot in this weather.

1 hour ago, manarak said:

I believe there are ATMs before immigration.

I come through Suvarnabhumi a lot and I can not picture an ATM anywhere along the path from the arrivals gates to Immigration, either A,B,C,D side or D, E, F, G.

Perhaps in the transit area?

The first ATM's I see are in Baggage claim.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

What are the costs of hard drugs in both countries? This why many come to Kho Pah Ngan. This was the case when I was there in 1990.

I think anyone who possesses/uses illegal substances in Thailand is being extremely foolish - even grass.  Years ago, an old acquaintance who liked such things once emailed me asking if he would like it in Thailand - I told him Cambodia would be a better choice, but his current abode in South America was the best locale for his tastes. 

If the OP had been in possession of drugs, he would not be in airport-detention (or not long, anyway).

15 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

They allow in respectable looking tourists. 

There is a different statute within the law which could be bent to accommodate unsightly appearance (if 'dress' is equated with 'behavior'), but it was not used in the OP's case - Section 12(7):

"Having behavior which would indicated possible danger to the public or likelihood of being a nuisance or constituting any violence to the peace or safety of the public or to the security of the public or to the security of the nation, or being under warrant of arrest by competent officials of foreign governments."

34 minutes ago, jspill said:

Search 'bkk airport immigration fast track', for $30 you can have a rep meet you as you get off the plane, whatever class you flew in, then they take you through the fast lane.

I think the only drawback to this is the IO may determine you flew in on an economy ticket nonetheless and still give the person the once-over.

42 minutes ago, jspill said:

Search 'bkk airport immigration fast track', for $30 you can have a rep meet you as you get off the plane, whatever class you flew in, then they take you through the fast lane.

You can buy the fast track vouchers on-line and will be given one free if you ever come Business. Anyway i bought a few and use them every time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

There are no ATMS prior to the Immigration checkpoint- there are a few Exchange booths where one could potentially get a counter withdrawal from a debit or credit card.  the issue is that many people travel with a smaller amount of money and when past Immigration draw their money from an ATM or wait until in the city.

In the past, many people used Traveler's checks as a hedge  because one got a better exchange rate. The Fee for cashing was 33 Baht per check but then the banking industry decided to raise the cashing fee per check to 150 Baht per check which in effect eliminated the exchange rate gain and people stopped buying the checks and instead went to debit cards.  Thailand has not kept up with changing social mores where most people do not carry a lot of cash .

Have read several reports that there are ATMs before Immigration ,and many saying the opposite .Would like to know definitively . 

You mean farang who attempt to stay here more or less permanently on tourist visas and ed visas.

Blame those who have abused the use of those methods for staying here long-term. Being a farang does not entitle you to exemption from complying with immigration policy. 

Oh boy. Again it's up to the IO to let you in. Even a valid visa does not guarantee you entry. It can also happen to you. A good friend who has his business and a work permit for over 10 years was given a hard time by an IO. He told the IO that he would be back in a minute. Went to the other side and he was let in without a problem.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

It is true we don't know everything about this case. 

We are discussing what has been presented only - which is the refusal of the IO to allow the OP to get the money from an ATM, and his being denied-entry for not having "cash" - which is happening with greater frequency based on many reports - not only this one.

You are welcome to your prerogative, just as I am welcome to not share it.  As you posted it in a public-forum, I am also free to not share it, or find it not relevant and/or germane to this case.  It's not personal, and I'd hope we could also disagree while having a beer.

I thank you for allowing me my prerogative even though you don't share it. As you pointed out it is a public forum ergo I am entitled to give my opinion. It does have some relevancy as the OP is about visa conditions and funding requirements.

If you don't like my thoughts you are free to ignore them and stick to commenting on the parts you think are germane.

• Like 1