In detention right now about to be deported

20 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

We should warn all future tourists: carry lots of cash, don't rely on outlandish things such as credit cards.

Hello Old Hippy, read the immigration warning poster in post No.77, they are deporting hippies who are unwashed, long hair and dirty nails etc. Hope you are ok and don't get caught in this shxt.

• Like 2

This is really nuts !   I'd be feeling very angry being treated like a criminal when I'd done nothing wrong.

Immi officer power tripping, not letting you go to an ATM -  they were not like that in the past  ..

Some of these guys have a severe personality problem and shouldn't be in that job.

Whatever happened to "Welcome to Thailand" ?

If they'd have the courtesy to install an ATM at immigration, most travelers could show they DO have enough money.

Who would come to Thailand without any spending money ?

• Like 2

I've noticed that more than a few posters are taking the view that this is a farang-centric crackdown with younger folk being refused entry as scapegoats, but is it really focussed on farangs or are other Asians (who will likely not be Thai Visa members) getting similar treatment just now?

P..S. I've never had an issue because I'm on non-Bs + extensions but all those folk who are so quick to criticise 'irregular' tourists or suspicious visa applicants should know that they live in glass houses - when xenophobia fuels immigration restrictions, anyone's a target.

• Like 2

Guest Jerry787

I have been pulled out of the queue twice at suvarnabhumi airport, despite i have a regular multi entry tourist visa for 60 days each trip.
being my stay no more then 10 days often only 2or 3 days only and of course having enough cash and so on, they always let me enter, but funny part stamping only 30 days and not 60 days, for such motif, i enter by land, easy, no hassle e much more relaxed immigration officers with much more experience of the young kids they place at the airport which seem more a witch hunt lately.

2 minutes ago, Jerry787 said:

despite i have a regular multi entry tourist visa for 60 days each trip.
being my stay no more then 10 days often only 2or 3 days only 

Why would you incur the cost of a multi-entry tourist visa to stay for 2-3 days? 

Something is "odd" about your post.

• Like 1

From the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website: (http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html)

3. NON-IMMIGRANT VISA 

1. REQUIREMENT

(snipped)

- to study, to come on a work study tour or observation tour , to participate in projects or seminars , to attend a conference or training course , to study as a foreign Buddhist monk (Category "ED")

(snipped)

2. DOCUMENTS REQUIRED

2.1 The applicants must submit the following relevant documents depending on the purpose of their visit.

(snipped)

- Evidence of adequate finance ( 20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family )

Note that it says "evidence" of adequate finance, however I think the distinction between "evidence" and "actual" was probably lost a long time ago.

Hmmm, that also seems to only apply when applying for the Visa, not when using the Visa to enter the country.

(Under Tourist Visa it says "- Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family)" - not that it applies in this case.)

Edited by Kerryd
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

From the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website: (http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html)

3. NON-IMMIGRANT VISA 

1. REQUIREMENT

(snipped)

- to study, to come on a work study tour or observation tour , to participate in projects or seminars , to attend a conference or training course , to study as a foreign Buddhist monk (Category "ED")

(snipped)

2. DOCUMENTS REQUIRED

2.1 The applicants must submit the following relevant documents depending on the purpose of their visit.

(snipped)

- Evidence of adequate finance ( 20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family )

Note that under Tourist Visa it says "- Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family)" - not that it applies in this case.

Millions in the bank (that can be taken out with a credit card) are not "money"?

21 minutes ago, xerostar said:

This is really nuts !   I'd be feeling very angry being treated like a criminal when I'd done nothing wrong.

Immi officer power tripping, not letting you go to an ATM -  they were not like that in the past  ..

Some of these guys have a severe personality problem and shouldn't be in that job.

Whatever happened to "Welcome to Thailand" ?

If they'd have the courtesy to install an ATM at immigration, most travelers could show they DO have enough money.

Who would come to Thailand without any spending money ?

Yes, exactly, who would come to Thailand without any spending money? Can't the immigration figure out such simple thing? How are farangs going to eat without money?

Unless the farangs become monks then they get fed home cooked meal in the early morning when monks go for their "Bintabat"(monk morning round collecting foods ). I love to see farang monks collecting their foods in the morning, they look so humble compare to the usual "ego bursting" look of many of them in the pub or bars.

It shows Buddha could humble the farangs without a fight.

10 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Millions in the bank (that can be taken out with a credit card) are not "money"?

The distinction is just being made 'fuzzy' on the orders of the higher ups - either that or they are 'suspicious' of anything that doesn't fit - what's more of a concern is that it seems obvious that entry can be denied for any reason whatsoever and that there's little recourse if that happens... 

Edited by jetsetjones
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, jetsetjones said:

The distinction is just being made 'fuzzy' on the orders of the higher ups - either that or they are 'suspicious' of anything that doesn't fit - what's more of a concern is that it seems obvious that entry can be denied for any reason whatsoever and that there's little recourse if that happens... 

Money is what you can put in brown envelope, try that with your credit card..

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

That is to apply for the visa, so this check should have already been done to get the visa.  If it wasn't done, that is an issue between Immigration and the MFA - not the OP's fault. 

Note that people offering to show amounts in bank-accounts or withdraw the money to show are refused the opportunity to demonstrate they have the money beyond all doubt.  That's not how honest-cops operate - honest-cops want "the truth" and to nail actual "bad guys."  

I like honest-cops, and fortunately, most are.  Take the bag-checkers at BTS stations in Bangkok - everyone should always smile and thank them (unlike some who act 'hassled' by it) - they are doing a very important job in helping keep us safe.

Yeah, it should be checked and crossed off at the point of visa application, but with embassies, consulates and immigration points the world over (in the modern age allegedly) having divergent admin procedures, it's like a lottery unless you're Mr Squeaky Clean...

• Like 1

This relates to the UK

"Like many migrant workers, students or visitors, you may think that once you have the coveted ‘Visa’ stamp in your passport, your worries are over and you can hop on the next plane to London. 

However, you still have one final hurdle to get over before you can enter the United Kingdom – The UK Border Immigration Officer. 

The UK Border Agency immigration officer is the first person you will speak to in the UK, and if you are not careful it could be the last! 

The job of the immigration officer at passport control, where over 100 million people pass through every year, is to check the immigration status of the person before him or her and decide whether or not to allow entry to the UK. 

Based on the information they have before them (passport and visa, college acceptance letters, work permits etc) and a few pertinent questions they have to assess whether or not the purpose of your visit is genuine. If they are in any doubt the officer can refuse entry and send you home on the next plane"  ** 

Immigration Officers have very broad discretionary powers in ALL countries including Thailand.

Ref

** http://immigrationmatters.co.uk/yes-you-can-still-be-refused-entry-to-the-uk-upon-arrival.html

Make sure you have 20,000 bhat with you when you cross the border but highly unlikely they will ask you to show it at this and crossing.

If there is a female officer wearing glasses on the desk when you arrive to depart stay away from here lane ,as she will ask you many many questions if you have lots of visas and visa exempt steps in your passport.

Good luck and hope you get in this time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tonray said:

The internet and google are your friend. I have traveled to many countries and before I do I do 30 minutes of research. As the saying goes "Ignorance of the law is no excuse"

not everyones as smart as you :sleepy:

this junta is anti farang ,  they want your money ,   money no1 here .       things are going downhill fast here in thailand , theyre  f*****g themselves and their own people even by the bar closures etc ,      seems the rich thais in power dont give a shit about the poorer farm girls needing to make a living in the bar / entertainment scene,  they will return home to work in the factories or the pick rice for 300 baht a day.   its easy to see they stop the farang coming here then the thais feel the pinch too ,  chinese and russian families / tourists arent investing in thailand or spending large amounts of money here same as the frequent flyer farang coming for a 3 week holiday with a daily cash spend of 5000 - 10000 baht to blow, wether it being blown on drink & hookers or visiting waterparks & temples this money still gets filtered back into the thai economy. 

these 2 guys should have at least been given a warning ,     feel so angry about the way they have been treated by this stupid thai immigration system. 

im just happy to have discovered sihanoukville in cambodia or hanoi and cat bay in vietnam .

and soon to book medellin in colombia for a 3 week stint in january ;-)

there are many better options with attractive much cheaper visa  than thailand if you only look , countries which are happy to see you in and make you welcome. 

i put thailand to the back of my mind these days, 

Edited by pumpjack
  • Like 2

Having read the posts, one often forgets:

a NON-CITIZEN can be refused entry into ANY country for ANY reason!  You do NOT have the right to enter ANY country - even with a valid visa - unless you are a CITIZEN of that country.

Unfortunately the young man falls into the category ( age, several tourist visas ( maybe back to back?, with or without extensions?, now a educational visa ) of people that have abused the system for far too long. 

If I was a Thai IO, I would also question his intentions, thinking that: 1) he is working illegally, ( has a bank account in Th? - not a stand alone reason. ), 2) he is "working the system" - not illegal, but draws attention at some point!, 3) he intends to stay till hell freezes over, 4) No money as required - not really enforced until recently.

My guess as a Thai IO is 1, 3 & 4. Three reasons combined to deny entry!

On another note, it is VERY wise to carry a copy of girlfriend's  / wife's ID, my GF almost never carries anything other than her mobile when we go out. Yep, an emergency trip to hospital - they accepted my copy ( and 500THB CASH deposit very reasonable ) temporary, went home an returned with original ( cash refunded) She also has copy of my passport photo page.

19 minutes ago, Tsm12345 said:

I got no marks nada, no text in my passport

This is difficult to believe.

Are you really expecting people to accept that you were denied entry, detained in a "cockroach infested" ( your words)  room and then freed, unconditionally, without a  'refused entry' stamp in your passport and without having to sign any documents.? 

Mmmmmm  

Edited by perthperson
spelling
  • Like 1

OP, please get in touch with them immediately. Best of luck. 

P.S. It says Monday- Friday only from 9- 15.00. o' clock.

I hope that you can reach them now. Please report back if you could talk to them. 

http://www.dhv-thailand.de/

Sozialstation Bangkok:

Telefon +66 (0)2 287 3761    Mobil +66 (0)83 233 3622

E-mail: [email protected] 

Edited by Mianoinadme

3 minutes ago, edwardflory said:

Having read the posts, one often forgets:

a NON-CITIZEN can be refused entry into ANY country for ANY reason!  You do NOT have the right to enter ANY country - even with a valid visa - unless you are a CITIZEN of that country.

Unfortunately the young man falls into the category ( age, several tourist visas ( maybe back to back?, with or without extensions?, now a educational visa ) of people that have abused the system for far too long. 

If I was a Thai IO, I would also question his intentions, thinking that: 1) he is working illegally, ( has a bank account in Th? - not a stand alone reason. ), 2) he is "working the system" - not illegal, but draws attention at some point!, 3) he intends to stay till hell freezes over, 4) No money as required - not really enforced until recently.

My guess as a Thai IO is 1, 3 & 4. Three reasons combined to deny entry!

On another note, it is VERY wise to carry a copy of girlfriend's  / wife's ID, my GF almost never carries anything other than her mobile when we go out. Yep, an emergency trip to hospital - they accepted my copy ( and 500THB CASH deposit very reasonable ) temporary, went home an returned with original ( cash refunded) She also has copy of my passport photo page.

How would GF's id help me at immigration or at the hospital ?

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

For interest where is that sign?

f****  me,  no hippies allowed in ?  no peace loving people , discriminated against because of the way they are dressed ? 

how disrespectfull and anti farang is that  !! 

13 minutes ago, perthperson said:

This relates to the UK

"Like many migrant workers, students or visitors, you may think that once you have the coveted ‘Visa’ stamp in your passport, your worries are over and you can hop on the next plane to London. 

However, you still have one final hurdle to get over before you can enter the United Kingdom – The UK Border Immigration Officer. 

The UK Border Agency immigration officer is the first person you will speak to in the UK, and if you are not careful it could be the last! 

The job of the immigration officer at passport control, where over 100 million people pass through every year, is to check the immigration status of the person before him or her and decide whether or not to allow entry to the UK. 

Based on the information they have before them (passport and visa, college acceptance letters, work permits etc) and a few pertinent questions they have to assess whether or not the purpose of your visit is genuine. If they are in any doubt the officer can refuse entry and send you home on the next plane"  ** 

Immigration Officers have very broad discretionary powers in ALL countries including Thailand.

Ref

** http://immigrationmatters.co.uk/yes-you-can-still-be-refused-entry-to-the-uk-upon-arrival.html

And the UK does not have an Appeal Procedure?