Customer allegedly swindled by Kasikorn says that staff tried to pay him off to make the case go away

webfact

Customer allegedly swindled by Kasikorn says that staff tried to pay him off to make the case go away

6pm.jpg

Picture: TNews

CHAINAT: -- The case of the pet shop employee who says he took 80,000 baht into the bank for his boss but the teller just entered half that in the account just got murkier.

Wachira Ariyaphongkorn, 41, and the owner of the shop Saisunee Oopetch said that after the story broke the teller and her line manager at the branch in Chainat came to see them with 40,000 baht in cash.

They allegedly called the sum "compensation" and wanted them to sign a paper to the effect that they would say no more to the press and would drop the charges.

They took the money but contacted the bank next day who said there was no official form for them to sign.

61pm.jpg

PIcture: TNews

They then gave the money to the Wat Singh police. Saisunee said she didn't want to get involved in that and didn't want the case to be dropped.

The bank teller has been bailed on a charge of theft.

The case is due to come up in court next week when a date will be set for a trial.

Tnews did not contact Kasikorn for their comment on the matter.

Source: TNews

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-07-14

"Tnews did not contact Kasikorn for their comment on the matter." why,if only there
  were some very brave investigative journalists here,a Tv program like Panorama

would be nice,there would be a mountain of work for them,but dont know how long

they would last.

regards worgeordie

25 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

"Tnews did not contact Kasikorn for their comment on the matter." why,if only there

they would last.

regards worgeordie

It is all about the almighty Dollar and Advertising Revenue obviously! 

26 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Sorry i cannot believe a major bank would do such a thing.

Maybe the teller and line manager were in it together, and were trying to make the problem go-away.

"Sorry i cannot believe a major bank would do such a thing."  

Well the word 'bank' is all emcompassing including all stakeholders.

But there is the possibility that one or two or more employees operating together and deliberately outside of the bank rules and processes could do something like this and there can be little doubt it has happened in all counties in the past. 

Yes banks have rules and regulations and specific processes but does that mean all staff follow the rules, etc? No!

4 minutes ago, scorecard said:

"Sorry i cannot believe a major bank would do such a thing."  

Well the word 'bank' is all emcompassing including all stakeholders.

But there is the possibility that one or two or more employees operating together and deliberately outside of the bank rules and processes could do something like this and there can be little doubt it has happened in all counties in the past. 

Yes banks have rules and regulations and specific processes but does that mean all staff follow the rules, etc? No!

I was referring to the bank as an institution, i am fully aware that some sfaff members  do not always follow the rules.

Just now, colinneil said:

I was referring to the bank as an institution, i am fully aware that some sfaff members  do not always follow the rules.

And I was referring to the bank as an institution, you missed my point.

The amount of Corruption in this country is that of a third world nation, which I guess Thailand is still a member. I'm sure more people than just the Bank Teller participated in this theft. When it takes 20 years to send someone to prison, unless your poor, this corruption will continue. I don't see any easy fix to this problem because it's imbedded in Thai Culture & Life!

9 minutes ago, tomwct said:

The amount of Corruption in this country is that of a third world nation, which I guess Thailand is still a member. I'm sure more people than just the Bank Teller participated in this theft. When it takes 20 years to send someone to prison, unless your poor, this corruption will continue. I don't see any easy fix to this problem because it's imbedded in Thai Culture & Life!

it is only 'wrong' to them when they are caught

"...murkier and murkier, could this involve more that the teller and be a regular thing..."

Not only in the bank industry.  This appears to be a regular practice with a number of businesses. I had a similar situation with an internet company. I paid for 3 months of service and got a receipt with the amount paid. The next month I received a bill for that month and the previous 2 months. When I presented my receipt to challenge the amount on the bill, the manager told me that the receipt was not valid. What was valid was the amount recorded on the computer. Most likely, the clerk pocketed most of the money, entered the smaller amount on the computer, and shared the extra money with the manager. I immediately changed internet providers and have not had a problem since. 

Edited by jaltsc

26 minutes ago, Tilacme said:

If caught thieving, step 1, deny everything.  If that doesn't work then step 2, try bribing your way out.  What will be step 3 ? 

Empty the bank volt and go to another country

If even a Thai Bank has dishonest and crooked employees, at this point you just cannot trust any official structure in Thailand.

This is a disgrace to the whole world.

I definately will never never put in a single penny in a Thai Bank, if such theft occurs.

Always check...double check the receipt when putting in money in a Thai Bank or paying anything to any company.

4 hours ago, jaltsc said:

"...murkier and murkier, could this involve more that the teller and be a regular thing..."

Not only in the bank industry.  This appears to be a regular practice with a number of businesses. I had a similar situation with an internet company. I paid for 3 months of service and got a receipt with the amount paid. The next month I received a bill for that month and the previous 2 months. When I presented my receipt to challenge the amount on the bill, the manager told me that the receipt was not valid. What was valid was the amount recorded on the computer. Most likely, the clerk pocketed most of the money, entered the smaller amount on the computer, and shared the extra money with the manager. I immediately changed internet providers and have not had a problem since. 

which provider please?

how did you pay? over the counter or by bank transfer?

I had a frightening experience with Kasikorn 3 years ago.  I transferred money for my retirement with immigration.  3 months later, I returned to Thailand to proceed with the immigration papers only to discover that the Bht 800,000 did not appear in my bank book when I did the update.  I went to see the Bank Manager to complain only to discover that the money magically appeared.  Since then, I don't do any transactions with this bank.

7 hours ago, seajae said:

murkier and murkier, could this involve more that the teller and be a regular thing, very much doubt they would give them 40.000 baht if they were innocent

Michael Jackson paid around $1.5 million  to a 12 year olds parents to drop charges of molesting him, and he was "innocent".

5 hours ago, Tilacme said:

If caught thieving, step 1, deny everything.  If that doesn't work then step 2, try bribing your way out.  What will be step 3 ? 

Bribe the official charged with enforcing the law, first the police, then the prosecutor, then the judge, then the appeals judge. Seek assistance from patron. Countersue. Hire military mafia. Many options yet to pursue.

I have had a similar situation with Bangkok Bank when opening an account to use a visa card.  They directed me to an office upstairs to give the money to the bank managers assistant and then invited me to have a chat with the bank manager.  When I came back, the assistant told me that the money I had to deposit to get the visa card was short of 500 bht.  I had counted out the money 3 times already but she insisted it was short and I have to pay it to get the card.  I paid because I needed the card but each and every time I see her and she wais me, I completely blank the thieving little b!tch.  

When I recounted the story to somebody in immigration, they insisted that Bangkok Bank would never do such a thing........They are honest.

The moral is never trust thais with money.

JAF

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

Sorry i cannot believe a major bank would do such a thing.

Maybe the teller and line manager were in it together, and were trying to make the problem go-away.

big banks are just as dodgey as everyone else in thailand. bank manager at one major bank asked for a cash bribe when i inquired about a mortgage.

7 hours ago, worgeordie said:

they would last.

regards worgeordie

Come on! You've been here long enough to know that Thailand doesn't 'encourage' tough questioning, right from kindergarten. And we all know that no-one is allowed to accuse anyone of anything without running the risk of a defamation charge whether what is said is true or not. And that is the reason the country is a cesspit of corruption and crippled by such low standards.