Two German tourists stabbed to death on Egyptian beach

rooster59

57 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Egypt has been known as a possibly dangerous holiday destination for decades as there have been random, murderous attacks resulting in tourist deaths.

Fortunately they are few and far between - not that this is any consolation to the murdered tourists or their families....

36 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes it's a bargain for a reason but there are a lot of destinations like that. Arguably Thailand which does not have much of a terrorism risk for tourists but compensates with assorted other safety risks.

5 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Egypt is cheap 'cos the cost of living there is low.

I've visited Egypt a few times, although mostly on diving live-aboard holidays - and they weren't 'cheap'.

The prices on land were far less expensive - but this had everything to do with the cheaper 'cost of living, and bugger all to do with the fact that it was a less stable /possibly dangerous holiday destination!

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

It's a mix, dude.

Like after a resort has a major terror event, you will find that packages will then be offered at a  DEEP discount to rebuild confidence.

Tourism destinations are selling a bunch of stuff and all kinds of perceived safety are part of what they're selling.

I give up.

You clearly believe holidays in Egypt are cheap because there is always the possibility of a terrorist attack - whilst I think the cost of living in Egypt is far lower than the tourists' countries, which is mostly why accommodation/food etc. are a "bargain".

3 hours ago, ddavidovsky said:

I'm not looking for a grievance - I know exactly what is the cause of their low self-esteem. I seem to be the only one who understands.

My assertion comes from empirical observation, plenty of reading, and extensive travels in Muslim countries before 9/11 when I found them almost excessively friendly and welcoming. The only place I met any hostility at all was at Hebron in the West Bank, where youths threw stones at me in the street and I had to run for it. They presumably thought I was Jewish, but that's perhaps a clue for you.

And consider this: any group that has sufficient grievance will contain extreme elements who become terrorists. Even westerners. Remember Northern Ireland? They were British terrorists, bombing and murdering innocent victims. It's done because of a grievance. The west had better get over its own sense of insecurity and victimhood and start understanding the root cause of Muslim grievance or these attacks will carry on.

I have a peaceable solution to stop the terrorism. I'm explained it many times and am not going to do so again here or people will start screaming that it's off topic. Do you have a practical, workable solution? Don't bother replying if you don't.

And I have a cure for cancer. But I'm not going to share it here either. And if you doubt my bona fides, I'll have you know that I have a degree from Dunning-Kruger University, so don't even bother to try to explain to me that my claim of a  cure is just nonsense which would fall apart if subject to open inspection.

Edited by ilostmypassword

40 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I give up.

You clearly believe holidays in Egypt are cheap because there is always the possibility of a terrorist attack - whilst I think the cost of living in Egypt is far lower than the tourists' countries, which is mostly why accommodation/food etc. are a "bargain".

Nope. Don't put words in my mouth. That is not cool. It's a FACTOR. Just like the high rate of traffic accidents is a factor in the relative value of a holiday in Thailand. 

Just saw an ad on German TV 2 days ago. Return airfare and 1 week in an all-inclusive resort for 299 euros. I used to spent more money on beer alone in a good week in Thailand. Now not tempted to go anymore. What is it with all these extremists? Why didn't this problem exist 20 years ago? What happened?

Edited by wump