Things you don't do in Thailand because you know better

canuckamuck

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Never ask for information.

Always make sure you have all necessary information beforehand.

Then present the information and ask for what you need.

Better still, let your Thai wife deal with the incompetent staff.

She is better at fake smiling and grovelling then you!

I don't grovel for a Thai, likewise for nobody.

1 hour ago, Naamblar2014 said:

Roll cigarettes by hand

What's wrong with roll ups? Her niece's husband rolls his own. They do smell a bit funny though! :stoner:

Edit: Just read the 39 jobs you can't do thread. Who'd have known :shock1:

Edited by MW72

23 hours ago, billd766 said:

1.   Rarely use a motorcycle taxi as I live upcountry now.

2 .  I have 2 motorbike which I don't ride so much but I still ride quite happily.

3.   I always give money to beggars especially the local 1 or 2 up here as I used to when I lived in BKK.

Sorry if you don't.

PS Beggars are people too.

In Bangkok most of the beggars money goes to the mafia of the cops.

22 hours ago, sandemara said:

Marry a Thai citizen or make any serious investment. The country is a swamp full of crocodiles perfectly camouflaged for the existing environment. You're just another herd animal with unjustifiable pretensions. . Never kid yourself that you're a predator,  or even in control.

Total and absolute rubbish.

Never.... let your guard down, especially but not exclusively, in the countryside - always keep critters in the back of your mind.  Don't walk around garden areas at night without a torch or plenty of lights on.  When entering a dark room, wait for the lights to come on fully and do a quick visual scan for snakes, scorpions, centipedes... and always wear sandals outside, and slippers inside the house. 

And never sit down on the crapper without visual scan around the dunny and under the seat, and as we've seen in the news several times lately, a quick look in the bowl as well.  Thar be dragons in the Shire.  :wacko:

cobratoilet2.jpg.c9f2a24875e42b124685a6cb87a11b4d.jpg

Edited by 55Jay

32 minutes ago, billd766 said:
23 hours ago, sandemara said:

Marry a Thai citizen or make any serious investment. The country is a swamp full of crocodiles perfectly camouflaged for the existing environment. You're just another herd animal with unjustifiable pretensions. . Never kid yourself that you're a predator,  or even in control.

Total and absolute rubbish.

@billd766

Obviously, Bill, you're entitled to your opinion, however sandemara's post isn't far off some people's experience of Thailand.

I can identify with the sentiment.

If you're fortunate enough to to speak Thai and to be as integrated into society as is possible for a farang, you might be lucky and not have had a whiff of these aspects of the Western experience here, but I think many people have. 

1 hour ago, juice777 said:

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Don't Assume the bum gun is working before you use the toilet 

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

As an addition to your very valid comment, I would add, always take a small pack of Kleenex with you.

7 hours ago, Tapster said:

Thanks to everyone, this is a very useful thread, full of some of the deeper truths about Thailand. :smile:

My 'never' is....... 

Never wait until the end of a tradesman's job to point out what you have found wrong with it. Always monitor the progress and micromanage as necessary. 

Before I realised this rule, a painter drew a knife on me when I asked him to redo some areas after he thought he'd finished. 

An Asian descendent of Vincent?    Did he go for your ear?   Not hansum enough picture?

Edited by tryasimight

10 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

Don't live in Thailand if you hate all things Thai. Find a new place to hate. ?

I suspect many here do not have the financial freedom to pick and choose where they reside and can now only piss and moan about Thailand to justify their own bad decisions.

2 minutes ago, Meljames said:

Not doing something in a place is the same as hating it? Pretty constricted outlook isn't it?

I don't know that moaning about issues on an expat forum amounts to "doing something".

10 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

I suspect many here do not have the financial freedom to pick and choose where they reside and can now only piss and moan about Thailand to justify their own bad decisions.

Yes me.........Oh, except the moaning thingy.........classic-guitar-smiley-emoticon.gif.70f02160a6c4fc58fc928d7a68c8e615.gif

11 minutes ago, Morch said:

I don't know that moaning about issues on an expat forum amounts to "doing something".

Not sure what your post means.

I was referring to the thread's topic  in connection to a post about people hating  Thailand. Not doing something in a location is far from the same thing as hating it.  There's plenty  I like about my home country but there are still many things I would not do there, same holds true for Thailand; or anywhere else.

12 minutes ago, Meljames said:

Not sure what your post means.

I was referring to the thread's topic  in connection to a post about people hating  Thailand. Not doing something in a location is far from the same thing as hating it.  There's plenty  I like about my home country but there are still many things I would not do there, same holds true for Thailand; or anywhere else.

I think I need that coffee refill...

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 10:34 AM, oldhippy said:

Don't  ask the police for help - or any official.

On our first trip to Europe, one day we could not find our hotel. I said to my wife "I will go and ask that policeman over there".

My wife just about freaked out....

LOL, that reminds me of the first time I went to Phuket. I had a friend's recommend for an hotel and the street, but I made the mistake of asking a policeman who told me the hotel had closed and gave the taxi driver an address of a "good hotel". The "good hotel" was miles away from where I wanted to be and I later saw the cop in the hotel- obviously knew the owners. The hotel I wanted was not far past where I asked the cop, so he must have known where it was and that it was open.

Never again.