Pray for Pattaya, Really?

Inspire

Pray for Pattaya, Really?

pattaya-beach-2.411aeb9f366e08138b69001e5e0f78111.jpg

A few expats in Pattaya have recently coined a phrase across social networks that has hitherto been reserved for cities having experienced a terrorist attack; this in relation to what they cite as the fall away of Pattaya of old – citing empty restaurants and bars as being a shadow of their former glory days.  They claim that Pattaya is not what it once was, and for that we must ‘pray for pattaya’.

On face value I can understand, although not agree, with their positions. Tourism in Pattaya is up, but for most business tourism is down. You see although the streets may be heaving with Chinese tour buses and locations like Bali Hai look more like the Beijing in rush hour than a seaside pier, business do not get a slice of this Chinese Yuan Currency coming in to the country – this reserved strictly for the tour operators and their cliché.

Traditional leisure operations designed originally for the Western single male tourist are feeling the pinch – but isn’t the truth that they have been feeling this pinch year on year ever since the pound crashed against the baht in 2008 – with the Brits losing almost 30% on their exchange rate from 72 baht to 52 baht per 100 baht. Anyone retired here in Thailand became 30% poorer practically overnight.

And then the Russian arrived in mass and Pattaya started to see couples and families holidaying in a resort previously reserved for older, single white males wanting nothing more than to drink, party, pick up women. – And for some at least, play golf.  The changes in Pattaya were already beginning.

The Russian market energised the property with even lower end Russians dreaming of a holiday home abroad buying into the Pattaya dream…and then the Ruble crashed and these Russians dreams were shattered, with many unable to make final payments on their off plans units. And just like that, Pattaya had a glut of new property needed selling to complete the projects.

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/pattaya/pray-pattaya-really/

inspire_pattaya_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Inspire Pattaya 2017-07-16

11 hours ago, Inspire said:

72 baht to 52 baht per 100 baht

What does this mean ? Per 100 Baht ?

And the exchange rate is 43 Baht for £1, NOT 52 Baht for £1.

Who's quoting 52 Baht ? 

Is this reporter living in a "Time Warp" ?

the reports is as usual miles of the mark 43 bht -GBP , 30% loss," ha" given the inflation rate since 2008 ( here in Thailand) against increase in UK pension since then ,the actual figure must be in the region of loss of 50%  

25 minutes ago, billy54 said:

the reports is as usual miles of the mark 43 bht -GBP , 30% loss," ha" given the inflation rate since 2008 ( here in Thailand) against increase in UK pension since then ,the actual figure must be in the region of loss of 50%  

And even that figure is conservative. 

Pattaya, where the sea is your toilet and a walk on the beach road could see you mugged or worse. Even the name sounds like sh1t porrage, worse than Patong.

Praying now is asking for miracles and those miracles have left the area for good.

Bye sodom Pattaya.

The article may have some points, certainly about the money coming in.

But if I may believe the article, the disappearance of western tourists was only related to the decline of the pound.

Although the economic downturn in  the economy worldwide played it's part the real underlying reasons might be the Thai quest for "quality tourists", the artificial strength of the Baht, the Russian takeover of businesses, the Chinese tours, and the business killing by the authorities due to the stepped up anti everything checks.

While in the same time not doing anything at all about the real problems.

Pattaya was famous for it's R&R style entertainment, if that fame falls away tourists will stay away, including "quality tourists", simply because Pattaya has not much on offer otherwise.

The end result will be that many poor people have no more income and the big cats loose out.

25 minutes ago, hansnl said:

The article may have some points, certainly about the money coming in.

But if I may believe the article, the disappearance of western tourists was only related to the decline of the pound.

Although the economic downturn in  the economy worldwide played it's part the real underlying reasons might be the Thai quest for "quality tourists", the artificial strength of the Baht, the Russian takeover of businesses, the Chinese tours, and the business killing by the authorities due to the stepped up anti everything checks.

While in the same time not doing anything at all about the real problems.

Pattaya was famous for it's R&R style entertainment, if that fame falls away tourists will stay away, including "quality tourists", simply because Pattaya has not much on offer otherwise.

The end result will be that many poor people have no more income and the big cats loose out.

i agree, that is why the buffoons running the show now has to go real quick

5 hours ago, Pattaya28 said:

Who's quoting 52 Baht ? 

The baht dropped to 43 after the Brexit referendum. Before it was around 50 to 52. Look on X.E.com shows the baht over 10 years.

this article is so true except for the baht at 52,  over 19 years here and watched the decline mostly from around 4 years ago.    even most of my friends , pattaya diehards , all of whom were big time spenders here in pattaya for many years have stopped coming, most of them are going to new places,  some have been scorched by past relationships with bar girls etc and have given up with thais,   some have money problems since recession and find it impossible to come here like before in the good old days where we got 70 upwards to the gbp,   and some have just seen pattaya for what it is and want a change of scenery. 

but i think overall its the rate now dictating numbers, if we seen even 60 again things would start looking bright again for pattaya .

rates staying this low then i cant see any big numbers returning.   i watch as many bar owners are closing and returning home, business owners shittin themselves now 2 of whom i know personally who before were very successfull, look about and see the bars and empty units for sale.  those who call bullshit on this are lucky , they obviously started with a lot to make a little and have plenty of cash in reserve tank  but many many business are losing .

*      just last month i counted 4 empty gold shops on soi buakhao for sale or rent , thai girls not pawning their gold, farangs not buying it to start with .     that to me speaks volumes !!  

Edited by pumpjack

Probably digging their own grave. And as most probably know Thai authorities have an excellent sense of counteracting to upcoming problems...
So who might know what will Pattaya become in ten years

I never pray in Pattaya. I know I will return home after two nights. I know my hotel is located on soi 8 along with the Sailors Bar, which is open 24 hours. So when I must go to Pattaya my prayers have already been answered. I know I'll be gone in 48 hours.

No wonder when authorities are doing everything to discourage western and European tourists...: closing bars and clubs at 2 am in walking street (imagine those who just bought 1 bottle..), police check points everywhere, checks (blow) for alcohol ( never seen before in 14 years), harder to become some visa or 30 day exemption turning to be 15 days by land (visa run), double or 10-fold pricing scams in many places: (floating market, islands "national parks", etc..), an increased greedy and racist sentiment everywhere (land of 'fake' smile), farangs always wrong if they have an accident against a thai, even if in right, still rampant corruption ...

I see more of the "quality" tourists that came here befre and really spent money, changing their holiday to more "welcoming countries"(where also they speak much better English), like the Philippines or even Cambodia...

Sad for Pattaya indeed, but are the thais not responsible for that , at least as much as the drop in the currency exchange rates?

6 hours ago, Pattaya28 said:

Who's quoting 52 Baht ? 

The report clearly states that the pound dropped in 2008, in 2006 you got 72 baht to the Pound, by the end of 2008 this had dropped to the low 50's, The reporter is not talking about todays exchange rate.

Looking at the bigger picture - it's not just Pattaya. For one reason and another and in different ways it's happening all over Thailand.

The TAT might be crowing about the fact that tourist numbers are up again - but it's a completely false bubble. Seven or eight years ago the vast majority of visitors to Thailand were Caucasian, with the usual suspects being from Europe, USA and Australia. They spent money freely and many of the single males came here to find romance in whatever form it took.

But with the opening of the gates, the Chinese are coming here in hordes, taking a package which includes breakfast at their hotel, then disappearing for the day on organised tours. They are spending nothing in the hotels and F&B managers are in despair.

Not to mention that you see very few Chinese 'farangs' setting up home with their girlfriend in Issan, buying land and building a house, and contributing to the family and general community there.

Plus, as the original post points out, exchange rates were enticing eight years ago. Today they are not.

Combine that with a confused yet aggressive government stance on immigration in general (wanting 'quality' tourists but with no idea at all how to attract them),  stricter immigration requirements, crackdowns and checks on visa requirements, a continually-increasing cost of living within Thailand itself (everything except for gasoline has increased 100% since 2005) . . .  pause for breath . . . 

. . . aggressive Thai behavior,  daily murders reported in the press, the ongoing publicity of all the mysterious deaths on Koh Tao, insane road traffic accidents and deaths,  corruption and bribery as a way of life, the Thai government's careless attitude to teaching their nation English . . .

. . . then it's hardly surprising that long-term visitors (the ones with retirement in mind and a LOT of money in their banks) are now looking towards those countries which are far more welcoming and where the barrier of an alien language is not a daily aggravation.

And with nationalism and pride being constantly uppermost in the Thai mind - I can't see things getting any better.

Edited by robsamui

2 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

pattaya and jomtien are great value. condo with a pool for 6000thb/month. an hour or a night of companionship with a girl half my age  for 1000thb. beers in a bar for 60thb. sounds like it will remain cheap for years to come. its paradise.

Amen

Pattaya was built in the Vietnam era as an R&R for US soldiers from Vietnam, Sattahip, U-Tapao, and from All of PACAF  (Pacific Air Forces), and Army, Navy, and Marine Corps.

I was one of them soldiers from U-Tapao. We drank Singha and wrecked bars. We were the reason Shore Patrol was formed.

Soldiers can destroy anything and everything, just add alcohol.

Soldiers wanted sex, alcohol, and anything illegal for cheap, and Pattaya provides, same as Nana Plaza, Soi Cowboy, Loi Kroh Road in Chiang Mai. 

Pattaya has proudly served its purpose and provided soldiers , and farangs with their vices for 4 1/2 decades.

Let Pattaya serve for 500 more decades.

People want it, Pattaya sells it.

If people did not want it, Pattaya would be a ghost town.

Things are different in Thailand.  I LOVE THAILAND.

AND for my ending, Prostitution is ILLEGAL in Thailand.

Edited by themerg

2 hours ago, robsamui said:

Looking at the bigger picture - it's not just Pattaya. For one reason and another and in different ways it's happening all over Thailand.

The TAT might be crowing about the fact that tourist numbers are up again - but it's a completely false bubble. Seven or eight years ago the vast majority of visitors to Thailand were Caucasian, with the usual suspects being from Europe, USA and Australia. They spent money freely and many of the single males came here to find romance in whatever form it took.

But with the opening of the gates, the Chinese are coming here in hordes, taking a package which includes breakfast at their hotel, then disappearing for the day on organised tours. They are spending nothing in the hotels and F&B managers are in despair.

Not to mention that you see very few Chinese 'farangs' setting up home with their girlfriend in Issan, buying land and building a house, and contributing to the family and general community there.

Plus, as the original post points out, exchange rates were enticing eight years ago. Today they are not.

Combine that with a confused yet aggressive government stance on immigration in general (wanting 'quality' tourists but with no idea at all how to attract them),  stricter immigration requirements, crackdowns and checks on visa requirements, a continually-increasing cost of living within Thailand itself (everything except for gasoline has increased 100% since 2005) . . .  pause for breath . . . 

. . . aggressive Thai behavior,  daily murders reported in the press, the ongoing publicity of all the mysterious deaths on Koh Tao, insane road traffic accidents and deaths,  corruption and bribery as a way of life, the Thai government's careless attitude to teaching their nation English . . .

. . . then it's hardly surprising that long-term visitors (the ones with retirement in mind and a LOT of money in their banks) are now looking towards those countries which are far more welcoming and where the barrier of an alien language is not a daily aggravation.

And with nationalism and pride being constantly uppermost in the Thai mind - I can't see things getting any better.

Very well put and thought about .. describes every feeling i have about Thailand after 10 visits ... and 3 relationships ... thanks for your post ....  hope others can see too.... how it really is there .

What rubbish--starting with the ridiculous myth that Chinese tourists manage to not spend anything on the local economy while they are here.  It does get one thing right--that Pattaya's visitor demographic is changing.  But, that's not necessarily a bad thing.  It could mean getting a Terminal 21 rather than another go go bar.  I say 'visitor' rather than 'tourist' because Pattaya is getting not just a different demographic tourist but also far more visitors from Bangkok who are flocking to Pattaya on weekends/holidays.  Many have bought Pattaya getaway pads.  Would all the new attractions, shopping venues, hotels, condos, etc., have been built (and are still being built) if Pattaya was just attracting older, white, single men?  I doubt it.   And, like I said, not necessarily a bad thing warranting prayer.  If you want to pray for something, pray the city gets its act together and starts spending more of its budget on important, much needed, infrastructure improvements.

I Pray for important things and Pattaya is not one of them.  The city is overbuilt and the days of Walking Street and the GoGo scene are on their way out.  The demographic is being changed to Thai restaurants; shopping malls and boutique business.  The chinese will come in droves through tours and middle class and Hi So Thais will come on the weekends. Neither of these demographics need or want the nightlife of old.  As I have stated many times- the powers that be do not like the Pattaya of old and are determined to either drive it out or close it down.

Most bar owners want out simply because they know that the single Western male is going to become fewer in number and they cannot make any money from them.  In addition, the Visa/Entry crackdown will not let up. This is being done for a reason and that reason is to cull the herd.  In addition, it is expected alcohol prices will continue to rise while Western incomes will decrease or remain flat. Those in the know will give Thailand a miss and head for countries like Cambodia, Vietnam and Phillipines.