Health department warns of cockroaches eating

rooster59

Health department warns of cockroaches eating

cockroach.jpg

The Department of Health yesterday (July 14) issued a warning against eating cockroaches after a footage of a man eating cockroaches was widely shared in the social media.

The 60-year-old man was seen eating cockroaches in front of city officials and workers who entered his house in Bangkok’s Huai Kwang district to clean following complaints by neighbours of unpleasant smell from pigeon drops in his house and neighborhood which he never cleaned  for the past several years.

While cleaning his house filled with piles of garbage, comprising plastic bottles, plastic bags, cans and other broken and discarded utensils, cockroaches heavily infested in the house came out along with rodents.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/health-department-warns-cockroaches-eating/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-07-16

8 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

I am sure I have seen them previously in the evening insect barrows in Soi 4 Sukhumvit. Along with grasshoppers and other bizarre insects.

But I don't think the ones on the food carts are the same creepers that infest restaurants and food courts and homes generally. The big water bug type live outdoors genrally while the fast breeding German and brown banded roaches are the ones you find in homes and food courts....I have never seen anyone eat those....nasty little buggers. They can sense when you enter the room from 20 paces...their entire nervous system is tuned for evasion from the minute they are hatched.....eeek !

24 minutes ago, tonray said:

But I don't think the ones on the food carts are the same creepers that infest restaurants and food courts and homes generally. The big water bug type live outdoors genrally while the fast breeding German and brown banded roaches are the ones you find in homes and food courts....I have never seen anyone eat those....nasty little buggers. They can sense when you enter the room from 20 paces...their entire nervous system is tuned for evasion from the minute they are hatched.....eeek !

Thank you for you explanation of the varieties of cockroaches. I still don't have any confidence that those filthy cockers that you know so well at not the same ones presented as gourmet delicacies on the barrows. 

7 hours ago, tonray said:

They're not that good around here, I'm pretty finely tuned to their presence and I've never failed to crush one with my boot on sight.

If it moves I kill it. Apparently I'm a sinner according to the Thai woman who lives in my house, lol !

30 minutes ago, ukrules said:

They're not that good around here, I'm pretty finely tuned to their presence and I've never failed to crush one with my boot on sight.

If it moves I kill it. Apparently I'm a sinner according to the Thai woman who lives in my house, lol !

For every one you crush there are a hundred in hiding. 

There appears to be a popular misconception amongst expats that cockroaches are on sale on the insect food stands.

They are in fact water beetles and as a result if over exploitation becoming increasingly rare in the wild.

There is a problem with insects for human consumption in that they avoid normal food hygiene and storage rules and have been responsible for cases of food poisoning

2 hours ago, tonray said:

For every one you crush there are a hundred in hiding. 

I'm "reliably" informed that "crushing" a roach in fact releases eggs all over the place thus dramatically ineasing the rate of multiplication ..... Actually I think this is an urban myth....but I prefer to use a surface spray to control them.

I seldom see them in my house, but then I'm fastidious about not leaving anything edible about where anything from ants to rodents can get at it.

I'm frequently shocked when visiting expats houses how casual they are about food storage, and then they wonder why they get roaches rats etc. And don't forget, if you gave rats you will then get snakes.

Edited by Airbagwill

I agree. They are bloody disgusting things. However I learned recently that there is one thing that disgusts them.................. Humans.

Whenever a human enters the room, the cochroach will immediately run away and clean itself. It only does it when it coms across us. Weird, huh!

16 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

I am surprised Our Mate Nate hasn't done an insect eating clip.

Lol.... maybe all he needs is some encouragement.

yesterday a poster mentioned that he had twittered old mate Nate previously... perhaps someone ( with a twitter account) can follow up ?

16 hours ago, tonray said:

And they are cooked. I don't think the 60-year-old was eating them hot. 

Hate them things. When I first moved to my house the basin covers would get cockroaches and the odd rat coming out of them. Saw 12 at a time. Hit them bug spray. They are tough buggers. I removed the lids of the basins and installed screens under them. Problem solved. As for eating them...no way. But have had grasshoppers and crickets.  Not bad. 

6 hours ago, thequietman said:

I agree. They are bloody disgusting things. However I learned recently that there is one thing that disgusts them.................. Humans.

Whenever a human enters the room, the cochroach will immediately run away and clean itself. It only does it when it coms across us. Weird, huh!

Apparently cockroaches and I have something in common ! 

16 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Thank you for you explanation of the varieties of cockroaches. I still don't have any confidence that those filthy cockers that you know so well at not the same ones presented as gourmet delicacies on the barrows. 

I had a Thai friend from the North who says he loves insects when he's home, but living in Bangkok he won't touch them because he doesn't trust them.

4 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

I had a Thai friend from the North who says he loves insects when he's home, but living in Bangkok he won't touch them because he doesn't trust them.

When I first came to Thailand I was looking for an apartment and the Thai lady who worked at my hotel offered to show me a few buildings. She stopped at a vendor cart and grabbed a bag of what looked like green crisp leaves. I gave it no thought but later as we were sitting on a bench reviewing some of the buildings, she held the snack out for me to try. Without looking I grabbed one and realized it was a small beetle. I quickly mentioned that she was ripped off as there was a bug in her snack, she laughed and told me that was the snack, the leaves were just seasoning. I tried it...awful

We moved into our current abode nearly 3 years ago (rented). At the time I didn't know that there was a Cockroach problem, the bloody things were everywhere, they were living in the architrave around the door from the bedroom to the on suite, and I eventually found a huge colony living under the patio, they were coming up in the sinks and overflow pipes, it was a nightmare, however after the use of many cans of Chaindrite and our more than helpful landlord who had the end of the patio concreted over I am happy to be able to say we hardly ever see one these days, and if I do it's either sprayed with Chaindrite (highly recommended) or crushed underfoot.    :smile:

I had a room once that was infested with brown-banded cockroaches. It took me several weeks to eliminate them all and I did it without using insecticide of any type. I also don't recall eating a single one of them.:biggrin:

There were about ten measures that had to be performed. The first being blocking their ability to enter the room from outside (other nearby, roach-infested rooms or building in general). Most people probably wouldn't know how to (or be willing to) perform this first basic step. BTW, and FWIW, the World Health Organization stated that sprays are not effective against cockroaches because they are repelled by them.

Edited by MaxYakov

1 hour ago, MaxYakov said:

I had a room once that was infested with brown-banded cockroaches. It took me several weeks to eliminate them all and I did it without using insecticide of any type. I also don't recall eating a single one of them.:biggrin:

There were about ten measures that had to be performed. The first being blocking their ability to enter the room from outside (other nearby, roach-infested rooms or building in general). Most people probably wouldn't know how to (or be willing to) perform this first basic step. BTW, and FWIW, the World Health Organization stated that sprays are not effective against cockroaches because they are repelled by them.

The solution might be to use a 'Cockroach Hotel' - a classic design which attracts them and persuades them to stay (usually with glue).

The added benefit of simply trapping rather than poisoning them is obvious - there's a free pie in it at the end of every month.

Roaches-On-Pizza-Box.gif

Edited by ben2talk
image won't show

4 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

The solution might be to use a 'Cockroach Hotel' - a classic design which attracts them and persuades them to stay (usually with glue).

The added benefit of simply trapping rather than poisoning them is obvious - there's a free pie in it at the end of every month.

Yes, glue traps were part of the solution. I had little patience waiting for them and would go on seach-and-destroy missions. One glue trap caught a roach carrying an egg case (good for 16 or so hatchlings) I still use glue traps as an insect monitoring devices in my current apartment, which is a roach-free zone - and intend to keep it that way. Unfortunately, the glue traps have caused the demise of a few small gekkos that have wandered into them.

(More than one ever needed to know on the subject, I'm sure)