safest visa option question this one maybe a bit complicated

hi forum

first time poster long time lurker.

wondering if anyone could advise my best course of action in the following situation.

I hold 2 passports both from developed western nations.

Passport A.

currently has 2 used tourist visas (1 from penang and one from hcmc) both with extensions and 1 exemption with extension for a total of 224 days in country in the last 365. this passport also has an unused tourist visa issued in penang valid for entry until August 24th 2017. 

at the time I got this visa in penang it came back with the red stamp (this person travels frequently etc). for this reason and having just exited after 2 months here a few days earlier I decided not to use the T visa and came back on an exemption on passport B so currently the last exit stamp from Thailand is 2 months ago .

Passport B.

currently in country on exemption on this one. has no previous T visas, 1 non immigrant B (expired aug 2016 last entry 3 months before that) and a total of 5 exemptions since 2014.

total days stayed in the last 365 will be 118 at the time I depart (next weekend).

Option 1.

fly to udon cross over to laos stay 1 day and come back via land using B to exit as us required by law and switching to A to utilize valid T visa.

Option 2.

forget about A fly to hcmc on B and make a new T visa.

Option 3?

I don't have any issues about showing proof of funds etc and I don't work in Thailand and can show a valid letter of engagement with a statement of earnings with home address in either passport country. 

fyi in the process of sorting out a non b visa in.the  next few months so really this is just a bout the safest option.

Thanks for any and all input. 

The current climate seems to be aimed at those attempting to live in Thailand using inappropriate means. 

I doubt there is anything you can do which will prevent the immigration officers detecting (sooner or later) your lengthy stays in Thailand. 

• Like 1

I do not think there will be any benefit to avoiding use of the issued tourist visa in passport A, assuming the two passports are linked in immigration's database. I would just exit and enter through a convenient land border, avoiding Poipet and Sadao.

EDIT Oops, you cannot do that as land border exit must use the same passport for entry to the neighboring country. I suggest you fly to Vientiane and return by land via Nong Khai, swapping passports on entry in Vientiane.

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I do not think there will be any benefit to avoiding use of the issued tourist visa in passport A, assuming the two passports are linked in immigration's database. I would just exit and enter through a convenient land border, avoiding Poipet and Sadao.

EDIT Oops, you cannot do that as land border entry must use the same passport for entry to the neighboring country. I Suggest you fly to Vientiane and return by land via Nong Khai.

that's invaluable thanks for that. 

11 minutes ago, perthperson said:

The current climate seems to be aimed at those attempting to live in Thailand using inappropriate means. 

I doubt there is anything you can do which will prevent the immigration officers detecting (sooner or later) your lengthy stays in Thailand. 

indeed hence the non b solution. if passports are indeed linked in the database I'm really surprised I haven't been questioned before.

26 minutes ago, BritTim said:

EDIT Oops, you cannot do that as land border exit must use the same passport for entry to the neighboring country. I suggest you fly to Vientiane and return by land via Nong Khai, swapping passports on entry in Vientiane.

Is it possible to exit into laos via land and stamp out of laos then switch or is the setupcompletely different at land borders I have never used one before. 

I've previously for instance flown to KL using the same passport I exited from Thailand on getting stamped in and out of KL in 3 hours and just checked into the return flight using the other passport. never been questioned despite not having the country stamp to match my declared inbound flight.

playing with fire perhaps . 

Just now, ashnad836 said:

Is it possible to exit into laos via land and stamp out of laos then switch or is the setupcompletely different at land borders I have never used one before. 

No the land border immigration officers look for matching in/out stamps in the SAME passport. A switch is not possible. 

4 hours ago, ashnad836 said:

I've previously for instance flown to KL using the same passport I exited from Thailand on getting stamped in and out of KL in 3 hours and just checked into the return flight using the other passport. never been questioned despite not having the country stamp to match my declared inbound flight.

playing with fire perhaps . 

Yes, I'd have thought the only way to switch passports is at the outset of any trip in your home country. A series of regional trips will all require matching in/outs and therefore need the same passport. 

3 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Yes, I'd have thought the only way to switch passports is at the outset of any trip in your home country. A series of regional trips will all require matching in/outs and therefore need the same passport. 

Not if you do your entries and departure by air. People swap passports by air all the time.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ashnad836 said:

at the time I got this visa in penang it came back with the red stamp (this person travels frequently etc)

So, like my experience in Cambodia - they are putting in that stamp on the 2nd TR Visa they issue sometimes.  Note that this passport is now useless to obtain a TR Visa from both Vientiane (my experience) and Penang. 

How does the following schedule look?

- Depart BKK on Friday arrive Vientiane @ 13.15

- Cross Nong Khai bridge into Thailand (take a bus/ cab and walk over or take a cab all the way from Vientiane to Udon using the car lane?)

- Flyback to BKK from Udon Thani @ 1800 or 2200 (1800 may be too tight?)

Anyone foresee any problems with this schedule?

FYI I will check into Laos flight with 2nd passport which I will use to cross back into thailand with a Penang issued SETV.

Thanks a lot in advance

2 hours ago, ashnad836 said:

How does the following schedule look?

- Depart BKK on Friday arrive Vientiane @ 13.15

- Cross Nong Khai bridge into Thailand (take a bus/ cab and walk over or take a cab all the way from Vientiane to Udon using the car lane?)

- Flyback to BKK from Udon Thani @ 1800 or 2200 (1800 may be too tight?)

Anyone foresee any problems with this schedule?

FYI I will check into Laos flight with 2nd passport which I will use to cross back into thailand with a Penang issued SETV.

Thanks a lot in advance

I think that is a great plan, and would be surprised if it does not go smoothly. You ca save money by taking a minibus from the bridge at Nong Khai to Udon airport. Usually you have plenty of time to get the 18:00 flight (takes about 2-3 hours from arrival in Vientiane to arrival at Udon airport. However, if flying Air Asia to Vientiane, very long delays are very possible.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I think that is a great plan, and would be surprised if it does not go smoothly. You ca save money by taking a minibus from the bridge at Nong Khai to Udon airport. Usually you have plenty of time to get the 18:00 flight (takes about 2-3 hours from arrival in Vientiane to arrival at Udon airport. However, if flying Air Asia to Vientiane, very long delays are very possible.

yes it is the air Asia flight. in that case maybe I'll book the 10pm from udon and wait it out to be on the safe side. thanks for the heads up greatly appreciated. 

Just wanted to update this thread with a conclusion as people were kind enough to reply with helpful advice.

Flew to vientiane today checking in with the passport I intended to use in laos.

After accepting my visa on arrival form they asked where your Thai stamp where your Thai stamp? I just said i have 2 passports I checked in on that one.

No dive "our procedure we follow Thai stamp" so they put a laos VOA in the other one.

Long story short took a private car over the bridge and got another exemption so I still have an unused tourist visa but all in all what amounts to an extremely expensive border run I could have done in a van for 2k baht.

Sure this is applicable to very few people but if you do have 2 passports DO NOT try and switch entering laos.

Malaysia, Myanmar and Vietnam are all fine in my experience but may have to do with which countries your passport has a visa waiver on,

• Like 1