EGR - Exhaust Gas Re-circulation - good, bad?

My understanding (I'm not a mechanical / car engineer nor mechanic) is that EGR systems are already fitted to many new cars (diesel and gasoline) but my neighbor says the system makes the engine (diesel and gasoline) very dirty and engines fitted with this system should be seriously cleaned, regularly.

Would appreciate some serious comments on the above, thanks.  

Well your neighbour sound like an opinionated dick head.

Read this and it is hardly a new innovation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_gas_recirculation

Having said that then of course as we all know now the diesel engines, irrespective of it various nox/particulate systems is basically  a killer in terms of pollution and most likely will be non existent in Europe by 2030. Of course that will not impact Thailand as I am sure the Thai experts will ,as usual, claim the rest of the world do not as much about pollution as they do, and what creates the problem, as home grown Thais with more knowledge of  cock fighting then anything else as technical as an IC engine so no problems in Thailand ever.

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Gary A said:

IMHO, if the EGR valve wasn't of some use, the manufacturer would save the money and not install it. My V Cross runs great so I'll just let mine alone. 

So I can't flog my plates to you then ...........

With the EGR blanked your oil will stay reasonably clean and at low engine revs your V-Cross will feel smoother and pick up quicker ... The downside is you will generate somewhat more NOx and it will take quite some while longer to attain normal operating temperature as the EGR Cooler now has no hot gas running through it.

It's more than likely illegal in just about every other country to blank the EGR ...

I ran with a basic Racechip and blanked EGR and it did feel much smoother than un-modified.

1 hour ago, JAS21 said:

So I can't flog my plates to you then ...........

With the EGR blanked your oil will stay reasonably clean and at low engine revs your V-Cross will feel smoother and pick up quicker ... The downside is you will generate somewhat more NOx and it will take quite some while longer to attain normal operating temperature as the EGR Cooler now has no hot gas running through it.

It's more than likely illegal in just about every other country to blank the EGR ...

I ran with a basic Racechip and blanked EGR and it did feel much smoother than un-modified.

No thanks. No chips or other alterations to my engine. If a chip would yield better economy, the manufacturer would use that same design. I have no doubt that you can wring more power out of a diesel but you will sacrifice economy. Simple thermodynamics. More power equals more fuel. I followed a chipped late model Pajero the other day and couldn't believe all the black smoke. It smelled like raw diesel. Of course the young Thai owner was proud of the power.

57 minutes ago, Gary A said:

No thanks. No chips or other alterations to my engine. If a chip would yield better economy, the manufacturer would use that same design. I have no doubt that you can wring more power out of a diesel but you will sacrifice economy. Simple thermodynamics. More power equals more fuel. I followed a chipped late model Pajero the other day and couldn't believe all the black smoke. It smelled like raw diesel. Of course the young Thai owner was proud of the power.

Is the black smoke from unburnt diesel...it's overfuelled? I would have thought it's possible to do a remap and not have black smoke pouring out the back. Saw a video of a modified mazda 2 diesel pouring out black smoke. Looked dreadful. 

The black smoke comes from too much fuel and incomplete combustion. The cause could be from a number of different reasons. Bad injectors, a defective turbo or a problem with the electronics. 

Getting more power from diesels was pretty common even long ago. Many years ago I was a diesel mechanic in the US Navy. We had a situation where the captain had a boat called the gig, the admiral had a boat called a barge. The gig was much lighter and that made it faster. The admiral wanted more speed for his barge. The 6-71 series diesels had unit injectors. It was a simple thing to change the barrels and pistons in the injectors, Each cylinder had it own separate fuel supply. That was the first step. The second step was putting on different propellers. Both the gig and the barge had dual engines. No matter what we did, the gig was still faster. An old land crab (civilian) finally had an idea. Navy regulations limit these engines to a maximum RPM. We removed the tachometers and re-calibrated them. They then read about 200 RPM less than they were actually putting out. That did the trick and the barge could keep up with the gig. The admiral wanted to know what we did and he was told by the old land crab that he DIDN'T want to know. The admiral was no dummy. I think he suspected but never knew for sure. In any event, he was happy.

12 minutes ago, Gary A said:

The black smoke comes from too much fuel and incomplete combustion. The cause could be from a number of different reasons. Bad injectors, a defective turbo or a problem with the electronics. 

Getting more power from diesels was pretty common even long ago. Many years ago I was a diesel mechanic in the US Navy. We had a situation where the captain had a boat called the gig, the admiral had a boat called a barge. The gig was much lighter and that made it faster. The admiral wanted more speed for his barge. The 6-71 series diesels had unit injectors. It was a simple thing to change the barrels and pistons in the injectors, Each cylinder had it own separate fuel supply. That was the first step. The second step was putting on different propellers. Both the gig and the barge had dual engines. No matter what we did, the gig was still faster. An old land crab (civilian) finally had an idea. Navy regulations limit these engines to a maximum RPM. We removed the tachometers and re-calibrated them. They then read about 200 RPM less than they were actually putting out. That did the trick and the barge could keep up with the gig. The admiral wanted to know what we did and he was told by the old land crab that he DIDN'T want to know. The admiral was no dummy. I think he suspected but never knew for sure. In any event, he was happy.

Now all you need is a remap to make it go ... and smoke free

Archived