Unable to connect through unread content from 3BB

janclaes47

As of Noon today I'm unable to connect to Thaivisa unread content without a VPN.

I'm on 3BB ADSL, doesn't matter which VPN server I select, as long as I'm not in Thailand.

It seems to be possible to connect when going to the home page first and from there to the forums, but not if I click the bookmarked Unread content..

Entering "unread content" worked always well, and still works well if I make use of a VPN.

Without VPN

thaivisa.JPG.e19efc283d053254ec127695a24d9a10.JPG

With vpn

thaivisa.JPG.7f8976aafb7a17fbf6fa4fa2e1b2fc91.JPG

Edited by janclaes47

Since nobody bothers to repond, however i thought this forum was called SUPPORT, I will update myself.

I experienced the same problem with several other webpages. On other forums some threads would open and others give the same result as what this thread is about.

The problem is with the Google DNS servers.

When using the native 3bb dns no problem, when using Google DNS problem returns right away.

6 minutes ago, Pib said:

I'm on AIS Fibre in Bangkok using Win 10 Pro and use Google DNS servers versus whatever DNS AIS Fibre uses....and I'm not having any problem connecting to ThaiVisa.

Good to hear, but as stated in the OP, I also have only problems with certain links like the unread content.

The same happens on other forums and webpages. Some threads will open and others not.

Those that don't open with Google DNS enabled will open when I switch to the 3BB generic DNS servers, or when I use a VPN, which I assume means that I then use the DNS servers from the VPN.

On 16/07/2017 at 3:24 PM, janclaes47 said:

...i thought this forum was called SUPPORT...

This forum is, in fact, called Forum Support Desk, ie where members help each other with problems related to the use of the Thaivisa forum. Your problem is not specific to the Thaivisa forum, as you stated yourself, but related to the DNS settings on your computer, wherefore it would have been better placed in the forum https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/17-it-and-computers/. However, as you have seen in the meantime, members have nevertheless replied to your post here.

On 7/16/2017 at 9:20 PM, janclaes47 said:

Good to hear, but as stated in the OP, I also have only problems with certain links like the unread content.

The same happens on other forums and webpages. Some threads will open and others not.

Those that don't open with Google DNS enabled will open when I switch to the 3BB generic DNS servers, or when I use a VPN, which I assume means that I then use the DNS servers from the VPN.

Yes, you could be using whatever DNS server your VPN is using.  But my experience with VPN services is they do not automatically use a different DNS from what you use or your ISP uses.  Your DNS service continues to be used UNLESS you manually enter a different DNS service into the VPN "app" or VPN manual settings.,..or the VPN app has a setting named something along the lines of "Stop DNS Leak."  And by selecting that setting all you are really doing is allowing the VPN to use a certain DNS....like the PureVPN app....when enabling their Stop DNS Leak setting you are enabling use of Google DNS.   

2 minutes ago, Pib said:

Yes, you could be using whatever DNS server your VPN is using.  But my experience with VPN services is they do not automatically use a different DNS from what you use or your ISP uses.  Your DNS service continues to be used UNLESS you manually enter a different DNS service into the VPN "app" or VPN manual settings.,..or the VPN app has a setting named something along the lines of "Stop DNS Leak."  And by selecting that setting all you are really doing is allowing the VPN to use a certain DNS....like the PureVPN app....when enabling their Stop DNS Leak setting you are enabling use of Google DNS.   

That is strange, because with Google DNS set in my router, 2 different VPN services work around the issue.

I have indeed in 1 of the VPN's a stop dns leak setting enabled, but I don't know which DNS server they use.

I think if they would use the Google DNS server it would not cure the problem.

On 7/21/2017 at 2:30 AM, Maestro said:

This forum is, in fact, called Forum Support Desk, ie where members help each other with problems related to the use of the Thaivisa forum. Your problem is not specific to the Thaivisa forum, as you stated yourself, but related to the DNS settings on your computer, wherefore it would have been better placed in the forum https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/17-it-and-computers/. However, as you have seen in the meantime, members have nevertheless replied to your post here.

So there is no dedicated forum support then ?

To me a "support desk is someone from the company eg TV answering the questions, i was obviously wrong!

From the header of the forum "Form support desk":

Forum support desk

If you have technical problems or general questions how to use the forum, please post here or email us at support[at]thaivisa.com

As you may have noticed during your ten years of membership so far, questions posted in this forum get replies from the membership at large. If no reply helps the OP solve his problem or get the required answer, an email to the support team at the indicated address is advisable.

If you are a member of other discussion forums you will probably find that they work in a similar way.

On 7/27/2017 at 1:20 AM, Maestro said:

From the header of the forum "Form support desk":

As you may have noticed during your ten years of membership so far, questions posted in this forum get replies from the membership at large. If no reply helps the OP solve his problem or get the required answer, an email to the support team at the indicated address is advisable.

If you are a member of other discussion forums you will probably find that they work in a similar way.

well thank you!! And yes 10 years ago this was a "fun forum"