Any kindles in bkk?

speedtripler

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There seem to be quite a few Kindles on Lazada.  No 9" DX's though - I had a look in case my beloved DX gives up the ghost.  I do have a spare (a bitza I made from 2 duff ones) but none have been made since 2009, so it's only a matter of time really.  :ohmy:

5 hours ago, DefaultName said:

There seem to be quite a few Kindles on Lazada.  No 9" DX's though - I had a look in case my beloved DX gives up the ghost.  I do have a spare (a bitza I made from 2 duff ones) but none have been made since 2009, so it's only a matter of time really.  :ohmy:

Wow, that is an old device. I'm surprised it's lasted this long. 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't want a kindle or anything to read books on the move. I much prefer real books, but sometimes (quite often) I can't find a particular book that I want to read. I'm quite happy reading from my computer screen (especially as I can do it from my armchair).

So what I want to know is what should I download on my computer to read everything in any format and what website has the best free books.

Thanks in advance.

17 minutes ago, roger101 said:

I don't want a kindle or anything to read books on the move. I much prefer real books, but sometimes (quite often) I can't find a particular book that I want to read. I'm quite happy reading from my computer screen (especially as I can do it from my armchair).

So what I want to know is what should I download on my computer to read everything in any format and what website has the best free books.

Thanks in advance.

you can convert to any format you wish using Calibre...sometimes folks will put their ebook collection on the internet for anyone to use, just need to search around a bit...gutenberg.org is good for most of the classics and you can download almost anything using a torrent search engine...useta be amazon wouldn't sell electronic material (books, films, music) to anyone with a SE Asia credit card billing address even if the card was issued by a western bank...

Might have already been stated but:

Order from the International Amazon site here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XDK92KS?country=TH

and it will arrive to Thailand in about a week. 

They will hold some extra cash for import duties (if required) and if not they will credit it back to your card. 

Best way to handle it. 

10 minutes ago, UncleTouchyFingers said:

They will hold some extra cash for import duties (if required) and if not they will credit it back to your card. 

Best way to handle it. 

As I don't want a Kindle that's not very helpful.

On 7/17/2017 at 5:27 PM, johna said:

http://bangkok.craigslist.co.th/search/ela?query=kindle

6" High-Resolution Display (300 ppi) with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers

Brand new Kindle Paperwhite 4GB, Inside Sealed Box, Never Opened.

Pickup in Rawai, Phuket or can Ship with EMS on Transfer to Thai account (Kasikorn Bank)

* Higher resolution display (300 ppi) - with twice as many pixels
* Built-in adjustable light - read day and night
* No screen glare, even in bright sunlight, unlike tablets
* A single battery charge lasts weeks, not hours
* Massive selection, lowest prices - over a million titles $2.99 or less
* Prime members read free with unlimited access to over a thousand titles 

Amazon used to advertise over 1,500.000 free books to download.

I wonder if that's still valid?

2 minutes ago, roger101 said:

As I don't want a Kindle that's not very helpful.

Well maybe this isn't the best thread for you, isn't it. 

But to answer your off topic question:

There arent any websites that offer "free books" that are any good. You can probably download most anything you want from the pirate bay, but alot of the time the formatting is a pain in the ass and theres alot of misspellings because they are pirated. 

But as another poster said you can download Calibre and upload any books in any format and read from there but there is a HUGE learning curve. 

If you have a UK or US credit card, the best and most fluid way is to simply buy books from amazon and download the kindle app to your computer. 

There just isnt any real easy way to read free books in a fluid manner in a simple way unless you buy them and use the proprietary native software to read them. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/8/2018 at 8:03 PM, UncleTouchyFingers said:

Best way to handle it. 

Thanks for that post. I was not aware that they would ship internationally.  I ordered a Paperwhite and a case.  They arrived today. It only took about 4 days and came via DHL. The overall cost, including the case, was about eight hundred baht less then it would have cost me to buy the Paperwhite in the store without a case.  It was worth it. Thanks.

13 hours ago, Goldbear said:

Thanks for that post. I was not aware that they would ship internationally.  I ordered a Paperwhite and a case.  They arrived today. It only took about 4 days and came via DHL. The overall cost, including the case, was about eight hundred baht less then it would have cost me to buy the Paperwhite in the store without a case.  It was worth it. Thanks.

Since it was DHL, what was the Customs duty ?

3 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

Since it was DHL, what was the Customs duty ?

This was the breakdown on my Amazon order. $232.35 on my credit card. 

Order Summary

Items: $154.98
Shipping & Handling: $32.18
Total Before Tax: $187.16
Estimated Tax Collected: $0.00
Import Fees Deposit $45.19
Order Total: $232.35

20 hours ago, Goldbear said:

is your credit card billing address in Thailand or elsewhere? I've never been able to order any electronic merchandise from amazon with my western bank credit card because of my thai billing address...

1 hour ago, tutsiwarrior said:

is your credit card billing address in Thailand or elsewhere? I've never been able to order any electronic merchandise from amazon with my western bank credit card because of my thai billing address...

Billing address in the USA.

We're you trying Amazon International, specifically? 

2 hours ago, Goldbear said:

Billing address in the USA.

We're you trying Amazon International, specifically? 

I used the amazon facility that was available at the time (a few years ago)...not sure if it was 'international' or not...will havta investigate as a pal brought me a new paperwhite from the US recently on a visit to Thailand when I thought that any other means of obtaining one wasn't possible...

I bought my first kindle with the buttons in 2010 from a website in Vietnam...and I marveled at the technology...'no more bookstores or associated bullshit! I can read anything I want in the remotest part of the planet!!!'

(tutsi arrives at the airport customs in an unfriendly place: 'whaddaye gonna do wid dem books, pardner?' 'read them, I suppose' ...and then his eyes narrow and his breath stinks and etc...)

22 hours ago, cmrichsw said:

3/25/18

I will have a Kindle PaperWhite available for sale April 2nd. 2018. Price 5500 baht includes original Kindle cover. All duty and shipping costs paid. Please message me if you want it I will not have it very long.

59d986a6ed900_FileOct0881045AM.thumb.jpeg.bd66bb19da2f26f6fe6c73301898a265.jpeg59d986a9b496c_FileOct0880938AM.thumb.jpeg.77aa19fb4bc7e8cd92f9efaa7078c2cd.jpeg

Archived