Any kindles in bkk?

speedtripler

On 7/17/2017 at 0:55 PM, speedtripler said:

i have a 7" samsung galaxy tab 

the percieved benefits of the kindle i wanted to test is the display being less harmful to your eyesight over time than LED computer and phone screens 

If you look in the Google Store and search "backlight" you'll find a bunch of things for adjusting the screen, beyond simply lighten/darken.  I haven't tried any of these, but thought I should mention. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Stocky said:

I've bought 2 Kindles direct from Amazon. Both shipped to Thailand within a week no problems. The first one was five years ago, it still works fine, but I replaced it last year with a new Paperwhite.

That's good to know. Thanks. 

On 7/17/2017 at 10:54 PM, pumpjack said:

i had 3 kindles previously.     all broke !! 

best advice is to download kindle to your smart phone .  way better ,smaller and they do not break the same as a kindle

I strongly disagree with you that it's "way better." I have both and there is no comparison if you are talking about new Kindle e-readers. Having the Kindle app on a phone is a convenient tool but it's not the best tool for someone who reads a lot. I can't imagine reading on my phone for a long period of time. I could do it but I'd probably end up reading a lot less. 

I broke 2 kindles several years ago (the older ones were a bit thinner). I learned the hard way that you need a hard case that they slip into. I also have a case for my phone; I've broken a few of those, too. 

Unfortunately for the OP and his timing, Amazon just had a huge sale on their entire Kindle line in connection with their annual Prime Day event earlier this month. I think every single Kindle in their line was on sale. But I'm sure they will be offered on sale again sometime soon, certainly around Black Friday after Thanksgiving. But Prime Day each July typically is Amazon's biggest sale of the year for their own devices. That's the good time to look to buy any Amazon devices.

my first paperwhite dropped down into the hydraulic mechanism of a business class seat on an airplane and I activated the mechanism unaware...the hard case saved it, it was chewed up but the unit was unscathed...

always get them hard cover cases when you order the paperwhite...a bit pricey but worth it...

On 7/17/2017 at 10:07 PM, possum1931 said:

Thanks, I will archive this post and look into it after I get home from this motorbike road trip I'm on just now,

When you have the time and inclination, just do a You Tube search: "Calibre How To"  Many good (and a few not so good) video tutorials.

• 4 weeks later...

I see that there are several Kindle HD Fire editions out there available via Lazada and on Ebay.

Do they come complete with chargers etc or are they an "extra" item?

I have a B & N Nook which has a mind of its own and if I am reading any book it will cahnge the pages for me to a random page and not let me go back to where I was, the keyboard pops up and the space bar taps away on its own, sometimes with random characters.

I have done many soft resets and I am talking with B & N support who are of little help.

I have managed to deregister the Nook but I cannot reregister it due to the random keyboard.

B & N support are little more than a name and to me, about as much use in support as a chocolate teapot by the fireside.

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

I see that there are several Kindle HD Fire editions out there available via Lazada and on Ebay.

Do they come complete with chargers etc or are they an "extra" item?

I have a B & N Nook which has a mind of its own and if I am reading any book it will cahnge the pages for me to a random page and not let me go back to where I was, the keyboard pops up and the space bar taps away on its own, sometimes with random characters.

I have done many soft resets and I am talking with B & N support who are of little help.

I have managed to deregister the Nook but I cannot reregister it due to the random keyboard.

B & N support are little more than a name and to me, about as much use in support as a chocolate teapot by the fireside.

Kindle Fire is hard on your eyes in bright light the Paper White screen is much more comfortable to read longer.

1 hour ago, cmrichsw said:

Kindle Fire is hard on your eyes in bright light the Paper White screen is much more comfortable to read longer.

Thank you for that info.

I haven't made a decision yet but the Kindle Fire has some good prices.

16 hours ago, billd766 said:

Thank you for that info.

I haven't made a decision yet but the Kindle Fire has some good prices.

One of the limitations of the Kindle "Fire", which is a tablet and not an E-Reader is that though it runs an Android operating system, that system is tied to Amazon and not Google, thus, no Google app store or other Google apps such as Gmail and photos.  You have to get all your content from the Amazon store which has a much smaller availability of apps than Google.

One can sideload Google if one knows how but it is pretty technical to do.

3 hours ago, dddave said:

One of the limitations of the Kindle "Fire", which is a tablet and not an E-Reader is that though it runs an Android operating system, that system is tied to Amazon and not Google, thus, no Google app store or other Google apps such as Gmail and photos.  You have to get all your content from the Amazon store which has a much smaller availability of apps than Google.

One can sideload Google if one knows how but it is pretty technical to do.

Thanks for that information.

I had a quick look at a Huawei MediaPad M3 this morning for just over 8,900 baht which looks interesting and a good price. There is also a Huawei C2 for only 4,500 baht.

I need to replace my semi stupid mobile anyway and perhaps I could use this as a dual purpose machine, Mmobile and Ereader.

If I buy a Kindle as a stand alone do I have to pay a monthly service fee to Amazon even though I will be loading my own ebooks and not using their services?

There is no monthly fee on a Kindle e-reader. 

If you decide to get a tablet, just realize that if you are using it for reading that it's not the same thing as an e-reader with e-ink. A tablet will have a back-lit screen just like a computer. They are very different beasts. If you read a lot I highly recommend that you get an e-ink e-reader. 

2 hours ago, Goldbear said:

There is no monthly fee on a Kindle e-reader. 

If you decide to get a tablet, just realize that if you are using it for reading that it's not the same thing as an e-reader with e-ink. A tablet will have a back-lit screen just like a computer. They are very different beasts. If you read a lot I highly recommend that you get an e-ink e-reader. 

That's right... Folks here need to distinguish that Amazon has two entirely different categories of devices:

--The Fire tablets are traditional Android version tablets with regular backlit screens like any mobile phone or tablet. With them, you have fill access to both Amazon's app store and Google's Play app store, and can download and use Amazon's Kindle reading app for Android. The tablet devices are very cheap.

--The Kindle devices have e-reader screens (easier on the eyes for reading), and AFAIK cannot install or run Android apps from the Amazon or Google app stores. They're intended to be used as readers, not multi-purpose devices like regular phones and tablets. And, their prices are not nearly as cheap as Amazon's regular tablets, although prices have been coming down and they're often offered on sale.

5 hours ago, Goldbear said:

+1

Reading on a standard tablet for any length of time isn't good on the eyes, the matt surface, low-power paper-like e-ink displays are far far easier on the eye. Important also to remember that the battery life on an e-reader is much greater than a tablet.

3 hours ago, cmrichsw said:

The Kindle Fire is also very heavy to hold for a long time, not really as good a reader as the Kindle Paper White, Voyage and the Oasis.  

This is useful for the Kindle -

How to convert PDFs/daily news/anything to ePUB/mobi for your eReader/Kindle

Thanks for that information. I have over 1.5Gb of ebooks that I am slowly classifying into last name/first name fomat and I used to put them onto my B & N Ebook reader  but that has crashed. I also use Calibre as it is a great tool for taking an ebook in almost any format and coverting it to mobi, epub or pdf format.

I could do with a new mobile and have looked at tablets and the Huawei M3 media pad looks OK to me.

It can combine the smart mobile , a sort of small laptop and an ebook reader all in one piece instead of the 2 or 3 units I use now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/07/2017 at 2:43 AM, bendejo said:

IMO the Kindle exists as something to ensure that Amazon has a revenue stream.  They should be giving the things away, making their $$ on delivering content and ensuring a locked-in customer base.  Like in ancient times when cameras used film, the real money was made on selling film and processing/printing services.  A friend bought a Kindle, and the device policed his content, warning him of DRM issues with some of the files he put on it, etc.  The thing was phoning home constantly, sending him messages like "hey, you seem to like sci-fi!  Here's something to check out..." etc.  He got rid of it within a week.

My suggestion is to get an Android tablet (which is what Kindle actually is) and put some other ebook software on it.  If you don't want to have to fuss with learning Android (it ain't hard) and you want an ereader linked to a bookstore, as with Kindle, you can download the Barnes & Noble Nook software.  And yeah, you can install the Kindle software if you want to.

Myself, I have a cheapo 7-inch tablet I picked up Pranthip five years ago, running Android 4.0.3.  I use ereader software - must be a dozen such free programs out there.  The gadget runs a little too slowly for much else, but for reading ebooks it's just fine. 

I find your post very interesting and helpful especially when I looked up Ebook software and found what is available for free.

My B&N Nook has finally died on me and I am looking for a replacement. Also my semi stupid phone is playing up a bit so I was thinking of replacing both into a single unit.

Looking around at tablets etc I have found the Lenovo TAB3 10 seems to fit my bill and it is available for around 9,900 thb on the market. It is also available from Lazada for 7,990 thb.

Do you think it would be a good thing to buy?

https://lenovothailand.com/product/item/lenovo-tab3-10/

Cheers

Bill

30 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I find your post very interesting and helpful especially when I looked up Ebook software and found what is available for free.

My B&N Nook has finally died on me and I am looking for a replacement. Also my semi stupid phone is playing up a bit so I was thinking of replacing both into a single unit.

Looking around at tablets etc I have found the Lenovo TAB3 10 seems to fit my bill and it is available for around 9,900 thb on the market. It is also available from Lazada for 7,990 thb.

Do you think it would be a good thing to buy?

https://lenovothailand.com/product/item/lenovo-tab3-10/

Cheers

Bill

I have had the same or very similar model since May this year when my Samsung tablet died. So far so good and at 9900 it is a good buy.

Easy to use and I love the 32GB internal storage.

4 hours ago, tlcwaterfall said:

I have had the same or very similar model since May this year when my Samsung tablet died. So far so good and at 9900 it is a good buy.

thank you for your information and help.

On 8/6/2017 at 9:09 AM, RotMahKid said:

Always easy to blame the other, shame!

On 8/25/2017 at 0:33 PM, Thailand said:

Good for her. Probably got wind of the verdict.

YES good for her next time someone in you know or someone in your family gets ripped off by someone smarter - Good for them.. good looking crooks are OK mai pen rai.

• 1 month later...
On 8/29/2017 at 5:12 PM, tlcwaterfall said:

I bought one last week and had a few teething problems with it. Learning something different at 73 takes a little more time.

I managed to get the Ebook reader working using FB reader after my mate advised me to try that.

Google play books won't let me download ebooks from my pc but FB reader does, the only problem with that is that I have to make a folder for my ebooks.

The main problem is that I bought the tablet to replace my knackered B&N Ereader which it does very well and also to use as a mobile tp replace my almost knackered mobile phone.

For some reason even though I have 4G, 3G, 2G and LTE avialable I cannot find the app to use it as a mobile phone. I can use line etc but not a mobile connection.

Do you use yours as a mobile and if so can you tell me what app to use?

Google tells me to use dialer but I cannot find that app anywhere.

Can you help me please?

Cheers

Bill

On 7/18/2017 at 2:43 AM, bendejo said:

IMO the Kindle exists as something to ensure that Amazon has a revenue stream.  They should be giving the things away, making their $$ on delivering content and ensuring a locked-in customer base.  Like in ancient times when cameras used film, the real money was made on selling film and processing/printing services.  A friend bought a Kindle, and the device policed his content, warning him of DRM issues with some of the files he put on it, etc.  The thing was phoning home constantly, sending him messages like "hey, you seem to like sci-fi!  Here's something to check out..." etc.  He got rid of it within a week.

My suggestion is to get an Android tablet (which is what Kindle actually is) and put some other ebook software on it.  If you don't want to have to fuss with learning Android (it ain't hard) and you want an ereader linked to a bookstore, as with Kindle, you can download the Barnes & Noble Nook software.  And yeah, you can install the Kindle software if you want to.

Myself, I have a cheapo 7-inch tablet I picked up Pranthip five years ago, running Android 4.0.3.  I use ereader software - must be a dozen such free programs out there.  The gadget runs a little too slowly for much else, but for reading ebooks it's just fine. 

from what i understand ,there are guides on youtube to unlock/root/jailbreak  your kindle and then it will be able to read any document/book formats from any source 

i am a new kindle user since last week so i still havent read the 10 books that came free on it 

When i get time il repost whether it was easy  or not to unlock or whatever 

books seem cheap though enough anyway,and its a nice article to use so far 

Speedtripler,

In regard to jailbreaking a Kindle e-reader, I have not done it but the main interest I would have in doing it would be to read .epub format e-books. That format, however, can be quickly and easily converted to a readable format online (to .mobi or .azw). I do it all the time. 

https://ebook.online-convert.com/convert-to-mobi

After converting the file, you put it on your Kindle e-reader by connecting it to your computer with a USB cable. You drag or copy/cut and paste the file into your Kindle's "Documents" folder.  

If you do end up jailbreaking your e-reader, I'd like to hear how it goes. Good luck. 

4 hours ago, Goldbear said:

Speedtripler,

In regard to jailbreaking a Kindle e-reader, I have not done it but the main interest I would have in doing it would be to read .epub format e-books. That format, however, can be quickly and easily converted to a readable format online (to .mobi or .azw). I do it all the time. 

https://ebook.online-convert.com/convert-to-mobi

After converting the file, you put it on your Kindle e-reader by connecting it to your computer with a USB cable. You drag or copy/cut and paste the file into your Kindle's "Documents" folder.  

If you do end up jailbreaking your e-reader, I'd like to hear how it goes. Good luck. 

I have never owned a device in my life I was unable to root so I think it should be easy enough to follow guides 

(one I saw involves flashing an older firmware and making a new folder in the storage area with an unlock file) 

After that there are some index sites that have lots of pdf and various ebook files you can sideload with usb cable from your PC and that should keep you reading for years! 

Avoid pdf's, they are often formatted badly for conversion, you end up with line breaks in the wrong places -  basically where they were in the scanned book - which doesn't work for Kindles with their text reflow.

I use Calibre (it's free) to convert to mobi, it handles anything I've pointed it at, as long as there's no DCM protection on there, that's a whole other kettle of fish which, having converted literally thousands of books, I've never found the need to get into.

5 hours ago, DefaultName said:

Avoid pdf's, they are often formatted badly for conversion, you end up with line breaks in the wrong places -  basically where they were in the scanned book - which doesn't work for Kindles with their text reflow.

I use Calibre (it's free) to convert to mobi, it handles anything I've pointed it at, as long as there's no DCM protection on there, that's a whole other kettle of fish which, having converted literally thousands of books, I've never found the need to get into.

Yes, I used to use Calibre, too, when I had a PC. It works great. 

with my kindle connected to my PC, Calibre has a feature that will load the book directly into the kindle 'Documents' folder...usually after converting from .epub to .mobi format...see the 'send to device' button on the calibre screen when kindle is connected to the PC that calibre is running on...

• 3 months later...

It may have been mentioned earlier in this thread, but if so, I'll just repeat it here: And that being, I was shopping at Central Chidlom the other day, upstairs at the B2S store on the 6th or so floor, and noticed they have a display of various Kindles, listed for 6K and 12K baht, and one what looked to be one model of the 7 inch Fire tablet wifi (not sure which generation), selling for 4990b or about $156, which is crazy overpriced/expensive.

Needless to say, all the prices considerably higher than if you buy direct from Amazon U.S., and especially so if you wait for their periodic Black Friday or other Amazon hardware promotional sales. But I know, there are some folks here to don't like to deal with, or don't know how to deal with, international shipping for Amazon products from the U.S.

So for those needing/wanting to do local buys, here's what I saw lately at Central Chidlom B2S:

5a6c8880dc05a_AmazonHardwareatB2SCenChid2018-01a.thumb.jpg.0e8b3312494e93c4a99d6f9571a781db.jpg

5a6c88841f841_AmazonHardwareatB2SCenChid2018-01c.thumb.jpg.806129a01abbefbf6f83ae10b4bae270.jpg

Archived