Any kindles in bkk?

speedtripler

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://bangkok.craigslist.co.th/search/ela?query=kindle

6" High-Resolution Display (300 ppi) with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers

Brand new Kindle Paperwhite 4GB, Inside Sealed Box, Never Opened.

Pickup in Rawai, Phuket or can Ship with EMS on Transfer to Thai account (Kasikorn Bank)

* Higher resolution display (300 ppi) - with twice as many pixels
* Built-in adjustable light - read day and night
* No screen glare, even in bright sunlight, unlike tablets
* A single battery charge lasts weeks, not hours
* Massive selection, lowest prices - over a million titles $2.99 or less
* Prime members read free with unlimited access to over a thousand titles 

Be very careful buying a Kindle, I bought a Paperwhite about 3 years ago and now cannot use it, Amazon stopped me buying anymore ebooks, the first time it was password problems, now it's payment problems.

I am left with a Kindle which is now no use to me once I have read all the books I have left. Shower of incompetent swine.

I have been using Kindles for years. I mainly use two now - the Paperwhite for reading books (especially outside as it is fine even in strong sunlight - like at the pool or beach) and my Fire tablet for magazines and newspapers (my online subscriptions subscriptions are easier to download to the fire than the Paperwhite). I also have my Amazon music collection on my Fire and sometimes use it to watch sport. I started with an ordinary Kindle but sat on that hard an broke the screen. So apart from my main two I also have two earlier Fire models that still work but are a little clunky. Fires are ideal for indoors but useless in strong sunlight. Got all of mine in UK so cannot help ref getting in BKK. For ordering books (or anything else) depends on you having a Amazon account linked to a credit card.

Last year I brought a new Paperwhite to Jomtien; I could not recharge it for some reason (couldabeenmyfault), anyway I spent a few minutes online with Amazon and they sent me a new one. Took less than ten days for delivery from somewhere in USA to Jomtien. No charge. They wanted me to send the old Paperwhite to them but I couldn't find a UPS store in Pattaya, Amazon understood the problem and said trash it so I did.

I can not be more pleased with Paperwhite or Amazon. I'd imagine ten days time and Amazon could get a Paperwhite to you.

I know nothing about any other Kindle.

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Be very careful buying a Kindle, I bought a Paperwhite about 3 years ago and now cannot use it, Amazon stopped me buying anymore ebooks, the first time it was password problems, now it's payment problems.

I am left with a Kindle which is now no use to me once I have read all the books I have left. Shower of incompetent swine.

It sounds like your Kindle is fine; but your Amazon account is the problem. I've had Kindles for a long time and never buy from Amazon. There are free ebook sites where you can legally download books that are either out of copyright or offered for free. Also, there are sites where books can be downloaded not so legally. You should get the app called Calibre to organize your ebook collection and it also converts .pdf files and Nook books into something that can be used on your Kindle. 

4 minutes ago, forqalso said:

It sounds like your Kindle is fine; but your Amazon account is the problem. I've had Kindles for a long time and never buy from Amazon. There are free ebook sites where you can legally download books that are either out of copyright or offered for free. Also, there are sites where books can be downloaded not so legally. You should get the app called Calibre to organize your ebook collection and it also converts .pdf files and Nook books into something that can be used on your Kindle. 

Thanks a lot for that information, I did have calibre, and found it too complicated to use, I will try it again.

I've had my Paperwhite for 4 years now and  it is still in daily use with never a hint of a problem.  I have never bought a book from Amazon.  I use Calibre and have about 20,000 mostly sci-fi/fantasy  books downloaded  by torrents in ebook collections.  I rooted it and stopped Amazon updating the OS so I could add extra fonts, bold ones mostly.  The best gadget I've ever had.

I bought mine direct from Amazon. They shipped it here within a week and it was reasonably priced. 

It is a bit tricky to use the website since there are two Kindle versions (one with ads a bit cheaper than the one without). Amazon will not ship the cheaper one with ads to Thailand, I guess because the ads are not for the Thai market. 

Otherwise easy peasy.

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

It's very easy to d/l tens of thousands of ebooks on pirate bay & numerous other sites then also d/l calibre, a free ebook manager & you can change any format to MOBI which is the one kindles use, plug your kindle into your PC & load them on, I have far more books than I will ever read in my lifetime & have never paid for one from amazon....

3 hours ago, partington said:

While some people may have problems, most people don't.

I have had two kindles in Thailand and have had no problems in purchasing or downloading books using my UK Amazon account.

Yes, "some people" have problems with virtually everything.

I've had a Kindle for several years. Ordered it from Amazon with shipping and customs clearance prepaid ( I did receive some money back because the duty was less than anticipated). Received it quite quickly.  Have never had any problem downloading books or with anything else.

1 hour ago, zyphodb said:

It's very easy to d/l tens of thousands of ebooks on pirate bay & numerous other sites then also d/l calibre, a free ebook manager & you can change any format to MOBI which is the one kindles use, plug your kindle into your PC & load them on, I have far more books than I will ever read in my lifetime & have never paid for one from amazon....

Thanks, I will archive this post and look into it after I get home from this motorbike road trip I'm on just now,

4 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

If you don't need to carry it around with you .. you can download a Kindle reader to your computer for free.. I prefer 'real' books but occasionally download to my laptop if I can;t get a paper book.. works fine..  

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Digital-Services-LLC-Download/dp/B00UB76290

The reason I want the Kindle was because I already spend too much time looking at computer and smartphone screens and it's supposed to be much easier on your eyesight.... 

IMO the Kindle exists as something to ensure that Amazon has a revenue stream.  They should be giving the things away, making their $$ on delivering content and ensuring a locked-in customer base.  Like in ancient times when cameras used film, the real money was made on selling film and processing/printing services.  A friend bought a Kindle, and the device policed his content, warning him of DRM issues with some of the files he put on it, etc.  The thing was phoning home constantly, sending him messages like "hey, you seem to like sci-fi!  Here's something to check out..." etc.  He got rid of it within a week.

My suggestion is to get an Android tablet (which is what Kindle actually is) and put some other ebook software on it.  If you don't want to have to fuss with learning Android (it ain't hard) and you want an ereader linked to a bookstore, as with Kindle, you can download the Barnes & Noble Nook software.  And yeah, you can install the Kindle software if you want to.

Myself, I have a cheapo 7-inch tablet I picked up Pranthip five years ago, running Android 4.0.3.  I use ereader software - must be a dozen such free programs out there.  The gadget runs a little too slowly for much else, but for reading ebooks it's just fine. 

3 hours ago, speedtripler said:

The reason I want the Kindle was because I already spend too much time looking at computer and smartphone screens and it's supposed to be much easier on your eyesight.... 

I have Kindle Voyage e-reader. I had a Paperwhite before that but I lost it. Both are good. I also have the Kindle app on my phone and on my laptop. I use both occasionally. I use the Kindle reader all the time. Pretty much every day. The e-ink display is much easier on the eyes than a backlit screen and it's much better in bright light. 

10 minutes ago, bendejo said:

IMO the Kindle exists as something to ensure that Amazon has a revenue stream.  They should be giving the things away, making their $$ on delivering content and ensuring a locked-in customer base.  Like in ancient times when cameras used film, the real money was made on selling film and processing/printing services.  A friend bought a Kindle, and the device policed his content, warning him of DRM issues with some of the files he put on it, etc.  The thing was phoning home constantly, sending him messages like "hey, you seem to like sci-fi!  Here's something to check out..." etc.  He got rid of it within a week.

My suggestion is to get an Android tablet (which is what Kindle actually is) and put some other ebook software on it.  If you don't want to have to fuss with learning Android (it ain't hard) and you want an ereader linked to a bookstore, as with Kindle, you can download the Barnes & Noble Nook software.  And yeah, you can install the Kindle software if you want to.

Myself, I have a cheapo 7-inch tablet I picked up Pranthip five years ago, running Android 4.0.3.  I use ereader software - must be a dozen such free programs out there.  The gadget runs a little too slowly for much else, but for reading ebooks it's just fine. 

i have a 7" samsung galaxy tab 

the percieved benefits of the kindle i wanted to test is the display being less harmful to your eyesight over time than LED computer and phone screens 

4 hours ago, speedtripler said:

If eyesight is an issue, buy one without a light.  Treat it like a book, read it wherever and with whatever light you'd use for a book.  That's what it's supposed to be after all.  No lit screen, no eye-strain.

Personally, I like the older Kindles, on the newer ones the "paper" is too white and the text too black for my liking - books have off-white paper and dark grey text.

12 hours ago, forqalso said:

Same. Been using my Kindle here in Thailand for about 4 years too. One of the best gadgets I've ever bought. Never had an issue, and works as well as the day I bought it. 

The newest model of paperwhite listed in a post above is what I have also.  Excellent and a great deal if you buy it in a country that doesn't charge import taxes.  It's 120 dollars (with special offers)  in the USA and close to almost double that after taxes in Thailand if you get it shipped here by Amazon.  Amazon won't sell the one with special orders in Thailand so it's 140 plus shipping and handling or close to 6000 baht if I remember right.  5700 maybe.    But you know, it's worth it even at that price.  

Also if you buy one with special offers in another country and pick it up there or have it brought to you, you can then request Amazon through chat or by calling  to turn off special orders since you are in Thailand.  They always have  for done it for free for me.    

16 minutes ago, ricklev said:

The newest model of paperwhite listed in a post above is what I have also.  Excellent and a great deal if you buy it in a country that doesn't charge import taxes.  It's 120 dollars (with special offers)  in the USA and close to almost double that after taxes in Thailand if you get it shipped here by Amazon.  Amazon won't sell the one with special orders in Thailand so it's 140 plus shipping and tax or close to 6000 baht if I remember right.  5700 maybe.    But you know, it's worth it even at that price.  

Also if you buy one with special offers in another country and pick it up there or have it brought to you, you can then request Amazon through chat or by calling  to turn off special orders since you are in Thailand.  They always have  for done it for free for me.    

7 hours ago, DefaultName said:

If eyesight is an issue, buy one without a light.  Treat it like a book, read it wherever and with whatever light you'd use for a book.  That's what it's supposed to be after all.  No lit screen, no eye-strain.

Personally, I like the older Kindles, on the newer ones the "paper" is too white and the text too black for my liking - books have off-white paper and dark grey text.

There is a difference between a Kindle e-reader with a built in light and a phone or tablet which is back lit. The e-reader's lights are front-lit by small LEDs that are actually lighting the surface of the page from the side. 

OP when you buy yours, get a case. I learned that the hard way. 

I've bought 2 Kindles direct from Amazon. Both shipped to Thailand within a week no problems. The first one was five years ago, it still works fine, but I replaced it last year with a new Paperwhite.

Archived