Another refused entry

4 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

He might get a single-entry Non-O for that, then a job w/work-permit with that.  But he would need to make sure he was the legally-recognized father, first.  Better yet, he is a dad - just get married - but perhaps I am being to old-fashioned.

It looks like they are separated and he was coming back to sort out passport and visa for daughter to go back with him

Edited by jeab1980

Just now, jeab1980 said:

It looks like they are separated and hes comingbtobsortbout passport and visa for daughter to go back with him

Yea -- A  likely tale and all on a visa exempt entry.?   It is not easy for a male person to remove a child from Thailand.

14 minutes ago, perthperson said:

Yea -- A  likely tale and all on a visa exempt entry.?   It is not easy for a male person to remove a child from Thailand.

Im only saying what he said on his face book page no reason to doubt what he said.

Just now, perthperson said:

Perhaps he should have mentioned what his stated intentions were when attempting to gain entry ? 

Whatever. Thats me now hope the guy gets sorted good luck. 

2 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Six weeks out - not a "visa run" - so doesn't meet that Exempt-specific rule for refusal.  He couldn't be working a job with that length of absence, either - so the refusals of entry is not about illegal-working.  He just paid for a trans-continental flight, which combined with the "no ATM access" game shows it's not about money.  So all official reasons for denying entry which have been used are bunk.

Others were questioned because they had been here in the past longer-term - even after being out of Thailand for months.  It appears that anyone who appears to like it here long enough to have spent an extended period is at risk if they attempt to enter later - even with a TR, and especially Exempt. 

For those who have ever stayed here for an extended period - even a year ago - if you arrive without a Non-immigrant Visa or re-entry permit on an extension of stay, just fly to a neighboring country, then walk in.  It's the only safe course of action to take.  Even if refused at a land-border (less-likely), at least you can take your pick of where to go next.

Doing a fight for money is working

• Like 1

It is quite possible they look peoples social media accounts. There are people who keep their profiles open and they tell everything to the world.. There was another case on facebook advice group who was wondering why he was refused entry despite he had enough money etc.. He was a freelance model and did work Thailand also. Everybody  was able to see that because of his open privacy settings so why not immigration also..

1 minute ago, thaitero said:

It is quite possible they look peoples social media accounts. There are people who keep their profiles open and they tell everything to the world.. There was another case on facebook advice group who was wondering why he was refused entry despite he had enough money etc.. He was a freelance model and did work Thailand also. Everybody  was able to see that because of his open privacy settings so why not immigration also..

The Thai government likely subcontract the monitoring of social media sites to GCHQ and the CIA ! 

4 minutes ago, thaitero said:

This kind of makes sense given the previous foreign national info form and the huge signs at CW stating you need a work permit to model.

7 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Correct me if im wrong i thought if you had no return flight and no visa airlines would refuse you travel? Or is that just another fallacy!

The airline is supposed to check, and can be in trouble for failing to do so, but they sometimes slip up, or persuade the airline supervisor that immigration will waive the requirement. It may just be that the guy has the gift of the gab.

57 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The airline is supposed to check, and can be in trouble for failing to do so, but they sometimes slip up, or persuade the airline supervisor that immigration will waive the requirement. It may just be that the guy has the gift of the gab.

Or the airline can have the passenger commit to reimbursing the airlines costs associated with repatriation in the event of the passenger being refused entry. 

10 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Correct me if im wrong i thought if you had no return flight and no visa airlines would refuse you travel? Or is that just another fallacy!

Plus he has a daughter isnt there a dependents visa?

an option, that many airlines choose to exercise. Some seem to check more than others.  Some follow the rules hard and fast

Someone has to be made an example of so the others learn from it and be prepared.

No onward flight and not enough funds to demonstrate seems to be the considerations used to deny entrance.

Plus a past track record which will be on his records.

With a few simple precautions he would not be in this predicament. Worse things could happen.

I wish him luck in getting out of trouble. Be prepared. 

The worrying thing is that when the Thais refuse the entry the refused person does not appear to get a very good explanation or get told options of what they can do. There seems to be some better info supplied there.

The airline that brought him in should be responsible to take him out too as far as I have heard. Which is why they can check. I get this all the time with Myanmar nationals going to Thailand. They get asked to show money by the Nok air counter staff in Yangon. 

3 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

an option, that many airlines choose to exercise. Some seem to check more than others.  Some follow the rules hard and fast

It seems they would be doing their passengers a big favor by enforcing this rule, as an inexpensive flight out, if if not used, could save someone a lot of trouble.  Hopefully, they will also start asking each passenger to show 10K (exempt) / 20K (with Visa) In Cash before allowing them to board.  Next, the will need to provide a questionnaire about past Thai-visiting history, which generates a "score" of one's gambling-odds of being arbitrarily denied-entry, and suggests other documents which may be helpful in one's discussions with Immigration personnel.

All that said, if the person cited in the Original Post was working here illegally (doing fights for money - or maybe even not for money, at an event where people pay to see it), and confessed to this on FB, he sealed his own fate.  "Per-event" short-term work-permits are available for musicians - I assume for Muay Thai fighters, too.  Did he have one?  If not, the event-organizer should have arranged it, and he should have made sure to have one.  I don't use FB, so going by what others reported seeing in his FB history (https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/992895-another-refused-entry/?do=findComment&comment=12092583).  Someone please update on his status, if he adds updates to his experience, or if they can confirm that he did, in fact, engage in 'work' activity here with or without a permit to do so.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

we read more and more on refused entries, 'at the discretion of the immigration  officer', starting to get a bit edgy about leaving and trying to return

If you are on a shorter-term visa which cannot be renewed inside the country, the only alternative to leaving for a new Visa / Entry is overstay - not recommended.
If you are on a non-Immigrant type of visa (Non-O, Non-B) or an extension, there is currently no cause for concern.  The worst case, is that those entering on Visas (not extensions of stay with re-entry permits) might need to have 20K Baht to show (most especially with a Non-ED).  I would Poipet in all cases, though.

Edited by JackThompson

this sounds like the 6 visa exempt entry 'red flag' that has been going on for years (as opposed to the more recent stops when people have tourist visas but no 20,000thb on person).  and then he failed the interview with immigration.  i used the GF's facebook login stuff to see what was on his page.  he seems to have some history here in thailand but didn't know about the visa exempt entry risk.  the facebook page indicates they have arranged a ticket ($1,400) back to USA but don't have the funds to pay for it (there is a comment saying the immigration is forcing him to go back to USA, not a neighboring country).  a girlfriend/farang lady has provided a link to her paypal account so his friends can loan him some money to get back.

So it is pretty obvious he was going to do some work here since he did not even have funds to pay returnticket. Profile is still open and they are openly talkin al kind of "clever" things like one should have photoshopped tickets etc when entering etc..Pretty easy nowdays for police, immigration etc :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JackThompson said:

So all official reasons for denying entry which have been used are bunk.

What "official" reasons have been used?

Of course he could have been working here despite spending time in the US. No more likely that he's working in the US considering how much time he spends in Thailand.

If he's worried about being charged Baht 750 a day while incarcerated and refers to Thailand as his "Home Sweet Home," I'd say that immigrations is on firm footing refusing him entry.

Obviously most everything written in this thread is speculation or, in your case, speculative ranting.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JackThompson said:

For those who have ever stayed here for an extended period - even a year ago - if you arrive without a Non-immigrant Visa or re-entry permit on an extension of stay, just fly to a neighboring country, then walk in.  It's the only safe course of action to take.

Great advice. Or you could fly into a neighboring country, hire a hot air balloon and drift across the border under cover of darkness.

Very sensible and avoids the 15 minute hassle of actually applying for a re-entry permit or going to the trouble of obtaining a valid visa based on meeting the minimum (and minimal) requirements.

6 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

People need to know that it is a requirement the airlines can insist on, and they can deny boarding.

In my experience it is happening more often. Never used to be bothered at all but it is getting different the last few years.

More airlines asking, even airasia once or twice. 

Some airports seem to be more attentive than others for checking return tickets. Maybe a more general tightening than just the airlines.  

2 hours ago, JerryinTH said:

Flying from Amsterdam (Shiphol) to Bangkok I was asked in Shiphol to produce a valid visa for Thailand. This was a Thai Airways flight.. Bit off topic but might help some people to understand the current situation.

Over the last few years, when I check in at LGW for a flight to Thailand via Dubai, the Emirates desk staff have always glanced at my Thai Tourist Visa and obviously know that I have a return ticket. As I've always had a visa, they've never even commented - I don't know what they'd do if i was travelling on visa-exempt as I never have.

This is not actually new as has been pointed out in several threads.

Edited by VBF