Chiang Mai Wins Best City In Asia and Third Best City in the World by Travel and Leisure Magazine

snoop1130

Chiang Mai Wins Best City In Asia and Third Best City in the World by Travel and Leisure Magazine

by CityNews

Travel-and-Leisure.png

CityNews-  Chiang Mai has been crowned the best city in Asia and third best city in the world in this years Travel and Leisure World’s Best Awards 2017.

With a score of 91.40, Chiang Mai has beaten Kyoto, Japan to first place in this years Top 10 Cities in Asia, and our local hotel 137 Pillars House has won first place in The 10 Best Resort Hotels in Southeast Asia, second place in Top 10 Best City Hotels in Asia and 13th in the Top 100 Hotels in the World.

Full Story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/chiang-mai-wins-best-city-in-asia-and-third-best-city-in-the-world-by-travel-and-leisure-magazine/

changmainews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Chiang City News 2017-7-17

Been to Chiang Mai and other smaller cities in Thailand, and I find that most are more pricy for most

products than in Bangkok. The pollution in Bangkok that is there year round,  is why I guess most people

would rather live in a less polluted place. I like a coastal city better as when I leave the cold snowy Winter

weather I like being near the ocean and not in the hilly part of Thailand.

Geezer

13 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Should be number one like Beijing, but I understand, you cannot have two 1st place winners

Just watched this independent documentary for the first time. Excellent job Marisa. Identifies the problem and the dangers to health, shows how the issues can be addressed with the right commitment.

2 hours ago, clockman said:

Just do not come here, in January, Febuary, or March. If you value your health! Who got paid for this total bull-st?

More like mid-February to mid-April (Songkran). Many permanent residents who can, leave Chiang Mai for their holidays elsewhere during this time. Of course the vast majority do not have this luxury and must suffer.

Jan to mid Feb usually a great time to visit Chiang Mai.

17 hours ago, clockman said:

15 years ago, Chiang Mai. Was an interesting, and cheap living. Not now! Greed and corruption have destroyed it.

and excess traffic generated by far more people and cars than back then; i do agree, back then, it was a pleasant enough place

38 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

Just watched this independent documentary for the first time. Excellent job Marisa. Identifies the problem and the dangers to health, shows how the issues can be addressed with the right commitment.

Change is always going to be hard when you are dealing with the uneducated, but its a start in the right direction.

I had to go and buy an IQAir purifier, the best on the market at a cost of 60,000 baht to assist me while in my own house (wife's house) because of the smoke from our village, that is until I lost it one day and told my Mrs that if we cannot live in our house with windows and doors open like normal human beings because two clowns up the road want to make that charcoal stuff in those big bee hive looking things, we are moving.

I said to her there is no way on earth anyone would be aloud to burn that crap in a residential area as its toxic, suffice to say Thai's won't to do anything, even if the guys grandchild was in and out of hospital with breathing problems, (wonder why), suffice to say the Mrs's family are close to the mayor, and one of the guys burning the crap is a relative to the mayor, so one would think we had Buckley's, hence the reason for my threat, i.e. we will be moving, anyway, long of the short, the mayor rocked up and told them too many people had complained to him and when he drove through last night he could see the thick cloud of dormant smoke, they packed up and moved to burn the crap on the land about 2 kilometres away, a happy ending, but I am left with a 60,000 baht air purifier that I no longer use....lol, oh well, at least the smoke has stopped and I am happy, doors and windows open 555

Travel and Leisure Magazine are nothing more than shills for large Government Tourist Departments. Pay enough tea money and voila you are amongst the best places to visit on planet earth. Yes, C.M. is a very lovely place but just what criteria did this rag magazine apply to determine this high rating? Thankfully those of us living here are intelligent enough to know the real facts.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If only the pollution levels were at a safe level all year 'round.   It's now July and still not good.

Like a nice lungful of diesel exhaust fumes?    Travel by song taew, walk  around the city.

:sad:

I have lived here for 15 years now and moved here from one of the nicest cities in the world. Austin, which is now the 10th largest city in the USA.    

I would have considered Austin as one of the tops but the traffic can be so horrible and Austin and the USA are ridiculously expensive.

I love Chiang Mai for the amazing international community, the yoga studios in abundance, lots of great restaurants serving Organic food and listening to

their customers for possible upgrades, close proximity to so many spots of interest, The Grand Canyon for swimming, great events with good music and food, easy access to my favorite food, Coconuts, and the affordability of Chiang Mai.

The traffic sucks but can be avoided by selectively driving at times when traffic is not so bad and Uber and Grab are gems to alleviate all of the B.S of transporting myself.

You may imagine some cities are so much better until you actually experience what they are right now in July 2017 to see if that still remains true!

Chiangmai unlike  like pattaya has got a lot of "class".  I can relate to many expats living there, because they have the same backround as me. I don't think I caould find anyone in Pattaya I could relate to. Thier conversation is limited to bargirls, beer and bikes!

While the suggestion that Chiang Mai is the third best city in the world is obviously ridiculous. It is likely the best city in Thailand for about 8 months of the year.

But then the whole concept of best city is ridiculously subjective. It is the best city to give you asthma, but the skiing sucks.

I think the old saw applies here: "Nice place to visit but you wouldn't want to live here."

Think of all the gorgeous paradise cities from which we all expatriate from, they are all tourism magnets, yes? Oh, I don't think so.

Maybe 20 million Chinese tourists (past and present) voted for it. Of course, to them any city outside of China is "best in the world", but they won't tell you that.

I like CM overall, but the thing is, this city has basically no public transport. Songthaews on specific limited routes, tuktuks and motosai do not qualify as full-fledged public transport. I think the proof is that everyone and their dog has a car or scooter in CM.

Been here almost 9 years, married to a wonderful woman.  I'm 68, she's 58.  Adopted her son, who is now 34.  We have a very nice home about 18 klm from the city in a quiet, well maintained moo bahn with security.  After 8:30 at night, Sun thu Thurs, it's so quiet you can hear a mosquito fart. Fri & Sat are about the same, except for an occasional birthday party. 

All the neighbors are friendly, and everyone knows everyone else, and keeps an eye on their property if the owner has to go out of town, or goes on vacation.  A few years ago two guys were caught trying to steal stuff from a house.  The police were called to come get them, AFTER the neighbors had kicked and beat the crap out of them.  

But the area has changed dramatically.  When we first moved out here, there were only 3 other moo bahs within 3-4 klm of us, and lots of rice paddies, which definitely caused breathing problems during the burning season.  Then it all changed.  Gone are the rice paddies, replaced with small shopping areas, the mandatory 7/11, and 3 new housing villages.  Now they're making Hwy 121 4 lane instead of 2.  

Recently we were offered 4 million baht for our house by some "hi-so" from BKK. Turns out, they went to every 2 story house in here making their over the market pitch.  Apparently someone finally took them up on it.  

The steady influx of rich BKK Thai are slowly changing Chiang Mai.  More moo bahns, more shopping malls, a hell of a lot more traffic, especially during rush hours in the morning and evenings.  

But even with all the changes, I can't think of anyplace else I would rather live.  Enough said. 

10 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

The steady influx of rich BKK Thai are slowly changing Chiang Mai.  More moo bahns, more shopping malls, a hell of a lot more traffic, especially during rush hours in the morning and evenings. 

I've noticed that too. They should bring some funding for mass-transit with them.

But it's also got a reputation for being a cheap place to live and as such attracts lots of beg-packers.