Nate apologises for railway-track coin prank and may face charges

webfact

Nate apologises for railway-track coin prank and may face charges

By THE NATION

8f4c05f52a0e00673179c2dcf3e3ab34.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- YOUTUBE PRANKSTER Nate Bartling, better known on Facebook as My Mate Nate, yesterday apologised to the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) over his video clip in which he placed several coins on a railway track to test their strength.

He said after meeting SRT deputy governor Thanongsak Pongprasert that he would use this incident as a lesson and was ready to take responsibility for what he had done.

Meanwhile Pol Colonel Alongkorn Sirisongkram, of Prawes district police station, said that Bartling would be summonsed to meet police tomorrow as he was alleged to have broken railway rules in connection with his latest video clip.

The summons followed a complaint by State Railway station officials that he broke the Railway Act by entering SRT lands without permission and damaging the railway’s property.

Bartling and a friend were seen in a video clip posted on the Internet placing several coins on a railway track and letting a train to run over them.

He said in the clip that he wanted to test the strength of the coins to know which country’s coins were the strongest.

His video drew negative criticism, with many writing that he should find something useful to do. After receiving the complaint, Alongkorn and railway police visited an area about 1.5 kilometres from Tab Chang railway station on Chalermprakiat Road in Prawes district and found the location where Bartling conducted his experiment.

They found a Hong Kong coin on a side of the track and some damage to the tracks, making them believe that it was the location where Bartling had placed the coins.

Alongkorn said: “We have to take legal action on Bartling and his friend as we are worried of copycat acts by somebody.” It is believed that his rented house is not far from the site where the coin was found.

He reiterated that the public should know that putting something on the railway tracks could do harm to the trains.

Bartling said after the meeting with the deputy SRT governor, that to make amends he would produce a documentary about tourism in Thailand by using trains. 

He lamented that he had done many good videos but was negatively criticised for only two mistakes.

He was sad that a large number of people have sought his deportation from Thailand as he had no proper visa. He said he had a work permit to work in Thailand.

Immigration police at the press briefing examined his immigration document and found it to be legitimate.

He said also that he was now afraid to leave his home, fearing for his safety as many people did not like his video clips.

In another controversial video posted before the coin experiment, he organised, recorded and posted a fight between his own cat and a scorpion.

Many cat lovers sought police action against him, alleging animal cruelty. More than 120,000 people signed a petition to have him arrested. 

Pol Colonel Alongkorn said that a police complaint of animal cruelty was filed about his cat-scorpion video at Huay Kwang police station and has been transferred to Prawes station.

“I will investigate the complaint and if he is found guilty, he would be charged with animal cruelty,” Alongkorn said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30321015

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-07-18

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Completely idiotic.

I did this when I was 8 years old (1975 or so). There was an ancient train that came by twice a week in front of my Grandfather's house.

Oh yeah.....He's appealing to 4.5% of Thai folks (3.2 million/ 70 million). 

Where is his stupid hat in the picture above?

My Mate Nate apologizes but faces trespassing charge

By Thai PBS

vlcsnap-2017-07-17-17h03m06s595.png

BANGKOK: -- Immigration officials, on Monday, invited American YouTuber Nathan Bartling, to check his documents and work permit after he offered an apology to the State Railway of Thailand for his video stunt to flatten coins on rail tracks.

The SRT has already filed a complaint of property trespassing with Prawes police against the young American who is better known as My Mate Nate for his controversial video clips uploaded on YouTube.

Mr Bartling arrived at the SRT head office on Monday morning for a press conference together with SRT deputy governor Thanongsak Pongprasert and commander of the railway police.

Mr Thanongsak said that Bartling’s video about his stunt in flattening coins on rail tracks had caused widespread concern for train safety, prompting the SRT to instruct railway police to investigate and gather evidences in order take legal action against the Bartling.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/mate-nate-apologizes-faces-trespassing-charge/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-07-18

31 minutes ago, jaywalker said:

Completely idiotic.

I did this when I was 8 years old (1975 or so). There was an ancient train that came by twice a week in front of my Grandfather's house.

Likewise, We used to do the same trick at 10 years of age. I guess Nate's antics must be a reflection his current mental age. He needs institutionalising with psychiatric help; preferably as far away from Thailand as possible.

The more people complain, the more media hype, this clown is loving it.

More exposure, more money that is all he cares about.

Notice the different attire this time, last time dressed like a clown, this time  suit and tie..

He would deserve some jail time just for the catfight animal cruelty issue!...then a one way deportation ticket back home!....it is such idiots who tarnish the image of farangs in Thailand and worldwide....and even an idiot would not belive that this chap did not "test" the strenght of a Thai coin as he openly claimed testing the strength of different coins of the world....thus it consequently leads to "lèse majesté", with the known sanctions!

Edited by observer90210

5 hours ago, CelticBhoy said:

"He said also that he was now afraid to leave his home, fearing for his safety"

An idiot and a coward. He went from Mormon to Moron rapidly this kid.

Afraid to leave his home, well that's what you get for being a total and utter <deleted>.

And as for the Mormon to moron, I wasn't aware there was actually any difference between the two, though you are totally correct that he is super stupid.

1 hour ago, jaywalker said:

Completely idiotic.

I suppose you didn't do that in Thailand, with coins bearing the image of the king...

"They found a Hong Kong coin on a side of the track and some damage to the tracks, making them believe that it was the location where Bartling had placed the coins".

Hum, the metal used in coins appears to be far stronger and superior to the metal used to construct a rail network in Thailand.  I am probably wrong but I thought railway rails were subjected to very high stresses and have to be made of very high-quality steel alloy.  

If his coin has damaged the track why wasn't it closed and immediately repaired for public safety?  He should be charged and billed for the rail repairs and whilst the SRT are at it they should replace the soft metal rails with steel.

Edited by Thechook

16 minutes ago, Thechook said:

"They found a Hong Kong coin on a side of the track and some damage to the tracks, making them believe that it was the location where Bartling had placed the coins".

Hum, the metal used in coins appears to be far stronger and superior to the metal used to construct a rail network in Thailand.  I am probably wrong but I thought railway rails were subjected to very high stresses and have to be made of very high-quality steel alloy.  

If his coin has damaged the track why wasn't it closed and immediately repaired for public safety?  He should be charged and billed for the rail repairs and whilst the SRT are at it they should replace the soft metal rails with steel.

Of course it didn't damage the rail.

Christ, talk about a storm in a teacup...

21 minutes ago, baboon said:

Hey, Rik Mayall made a good living out of it and nobody was calling him a dick...

was he doing everything this dicks doing ?  insulting school kids, scorpion fighting cats and putting coins on railway lines ????????????. i wouldn't of thought so.

6 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Likewise, We used to do the same trick at 10 years of age. I guess Nate's antics must be a reflection his current mental age. He needs institutionalising with psychiatric help; preferably as far away from Thailand as possible.

how many clicks did you get?

guy is just doing what thousands of others are trying to do. making money by being a media <deleted>. all you people getting upset are just fueling his business by giving him attention. 

2 hours ago, CelticBhoy said:

"He said also that he was now afraid to leave his home, fearing for his safety"

An idiot and a coward. He went from Mormon to Moron rapidly this kid.

Coward or not, the amount of attention he gets from, obviously, Thai people about his pranks makes me wonder if the same amount of negative reactions would be heaped on a Thai "mate".

After 40 years spent in the Railways I can only wonder what the quality of steel rails and steel wheels may be if they can be damaged by a coin.

Does not take away the danger by playing on railway tracks, promoting it on social media is very stupid.