KTB online banking now too secure for me

Hello

I have a banking problem which I hope somebody can give me advice for.

I have two teenage children going to college in Udon Thani (their mother and me separated five years ago). Now all three of us have accounts at the KTB and it was very easy for me to give them money as need, though the KTB online banking facility.

All well and good until about a year ago when KTB increased their security. Now when ever I want to do an online banking transfer I receice a six digit code on my mobile phone which I must input to my computer in a certain time frame. 

The problem is, nowdays I spent most of my time outside Thailand.

I will be arriving in Thailand on the 24th for two weeks. When I arrive I shall try …

1) To go to my local KTB and ask them if they can stop the extra security on my account. (I don’t expect any joy here).

2) Go to other banks and see if their online banking systems don’t involve mobile phones. 

3) Look into mobile phone roaming. I have a mobile phone but am not so up to date with things mobile, I am afraid. My iPhone only has one SIM slot.

Hopefully somebody here can help me. Interested in a banking solution first.

Bangkok Bank online does not require phone after account has been set up. 

As for phone you could also buy a cheap phone to use only for banking and have that turned on when needed.  Not sure how roaming is charged however - so might not be economical.  

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

If the person paying is set up by you in your  sccount payees you wont receive a otp

That is true with BBL; but he is using KTB and believe he is right that phone is required always now.

40 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

That is true with BBL; but he is using KTB and believe he is right that phone is required always now.

My mistake, I read it as Kasikorn for which it is also true.

You suggested the solution yourself.

Have your Thai SIM in an old phone, turned on and roaming enabled. Or even consider a 2 SIM phone.

Not too difficult as you know you will be initiating the transfer and can ensure the phone is ready.

I do this when in the UK and it works fine.

You could also consider a regular Direct Debit which should not require a security PIN.

If this doesn't work Bangkok Bank's system does not require a confirming PIN when making a transfer to a previously input/recorded recipient.

Edited by jacko45k

I have KTB accounts also.  I went to my local branch and they gave me a form to Deactivate TOP (=OTP).  Filled it in and they processed it on the spot for me.  No hassles and no more OTP requests to my phone.

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

I have KTB once  beneficiaries  are set up you wont need a OTP. Do it when you come over set both up then theres no problem.

2 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

I have KTB once  beneficiaries  are set up you wont need a OTP.

This is true when the beneficiary is a company.

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Have your Thai SIM in an old phone, turned on and roaming enabled.

Do you need to buy an international roaming package?

1 hour ago, stubuzz said:

This is true when the beneficiary is a company.

No i have set up my son my wife and other people (individuals) to recive money i can now send money to these people without a OTP

I have my home country phone (and sim) with me here in Thailand. Whenever I need to change something in my home country bank profile or whatever  they send a code to my home no. listed with them and I receive it no problem.

I'm in the same situation as the OP, but my girls are at Khon Kaen university.  Using online banking  in January each year I set up a monthly standing order for the next twelve months to transfer  each girl their monthly allowance.  I receive emails when the transactions have gone through each month.   No OTP is necessary. You can only do this if the the other person's account is also with Kasikorn Thai, and you can only do it for the next twelve months, no longer.

3 minutes ago, lungbing said:

I'm in the same situation as the OP, but my girls are at Khon Kaen university.  Using online banking  in January each year I set up a monthly standing order for the next twelve months to transfer  each girl their monthly allowance.  I receive emails when the transactions have gone through each month.   No OTP is necessary. You can only do this if the the other person's account is also with Kasikorn Thai, and you can only do it for the next twelve months, no longer.

Poster is not talking about Kasikorn.  Krung Thai Bank is not the same financial organization. You can set up standing orders for transfers for a year using BBL for any normal Thai bank account - it does not have to be to BBL - have been doing this for years.

1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

No i have set up my son my wife and other people (individuals) to recive money i can now send money to these people without a OTP

How did you do that? 

All of my saved beneficiaries require an OTP.

I do as they told me to do set them up on mobile data first (dtac data in our case) get a otp for them the first time then save them to favorites. I can then switch back to wifi and send them money whenever with no OTP required.

3 hours ago, stubuzz said:

AS some of the others have already mentioned i also have my  (AIS) Thai sim (pay as you go)in another phone that is constantly on, and  i pay no roaming costs in the UK

Simple solution if you do not want to pay for international roaming:

Find a friend who will let you leave your Android phone at their place. Put in your Thai SIM card that you use to receive the OTP,  plug it in to a charger in the wall, put it somewhere out of the way and forget about it.

Make sure it is an Android phone and install an SMS forwarder app that will send all your SMS's to an email address. Just search for SMS forwarder on Google Play.

Now you can receive your Thai SMS to any email address you want. You do need to make sure to keep your Thai SIM card active, but it only needs to be able to receive.

17 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Bangkok Bank online does not require phone after account has been set up. 

As for phone you could also buy a cheap phone to use only for banking and have that turned on when needed.  Not sure how roaming is charged however - so might not be economical.  

I use a skype permanent # when I travel to Thailand so that home country friends can call a "local" number.  My computer and phone with skype app will receive the incoming call from skype.  If I had your problem in Thailand, I would use skype @ $5 a month to have a permanent skype # in Thailand and it could be used as your contact # I would hope.  Not sure about Thai area codes for mobile however....

KTB online banking now too secure for me

I hate when things become too secure. I like things not to be secure so hackers can hack my account and steal my money. :saai:

Just take your Thai SIM overseas with roaming enabled. Switch the SIM card in your phone to the Thai SIM when you do banking and then turn on the phone when you need to do your banking and boom, you get the SMS code when you need it. A no-brainer really.

6 hours ago, Monomial said:

Simple solution if you do not want to pay for international roaming:

Why the hell do you need to pay for international roaming to receive a SMS? I don't and never had any problems getting the SMS.

15 hours ago, Antonymous said:

A simple solution is to ask them (insist) to send the OTP to your email address instead of phone.

Interesting idea. Get a Thai bank to change its system just for you. :post-4641-1156694572: Good luck with that. Also remember that OTP's are time sensitive and there's no guarantee that the email will arrive within that time NAMHIKT.:sleep:

40 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Interesting idea. Get a Thai bank to change its system just for you. :post-4641-1156694572: Good luck with that. Also remember that OTP's are time sensitive and there's no guarantee that the email will arrive within that time NAMHIKT.:sleep:

I would not have suggested it if I wasn't already using this method!!! No phone.

I do all my banking online and use only a PC to do that. I have my email open in one window and the bank's page in another. OTP is sent to my email and I tap it into the bank page in exactly the same way as if it had been sent to a telephone. And it is valid for 10 mins or whatever in exactly the same way.

Have you actually been to your bank branch and discussed this solution with them? As I said, you may need to insist that they do it, but they certainly can and will.

53 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

I would not have suggested it if I wasn't already using this method!!! No phone.

Time to spend $5......a measly 5 bucks and buy an old-school phone. Then you can receive SMS with the OPT codes.

5 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Time to spend $5......a measly 5 bucks and buy an old-school phone. Then you can receive SMS with the OPT codes.

I don't know what your beef is bbi1.

I provided a simple solution to the OP's dilemma. How does your comment help?