Russian woman begging with baby in Bangkok sparks debate amongst Thais online

webfact

On 7/18/2017 at 3:20 PM, webfact said:

The woman claims she had been left broke and destitute after being dumped by her husband and was trying to raise funds to purchase and plane tickets so she could leave Thailand.

Just overstay your visa and Thais will be glad to deport you back home, wouldn't they?

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every time I read articles about something happening in thailand, the first line has always to specify that a foreigner was involved as if that is the most important thing in the world. Hundreds are begging around all countries in Europe and nobody gives sh*t wether or not is a local of foreigner. It looks to me an attempt to distinguish the world between Thais and non Thais. How pathetic.

On 18/07/2017 at 9:35 AM, observer90210 said:

Sorry, but she must be handed over to her embassy who in turn must either pay for her in Thailand or have her sent back to her homeland....

Try begging as an alien in the streets of some western nation and the same will happen...

Another quality farang who will plainly justify all the hassle at immigration counters towards other farangs on normal visits to the Kingdom...

how do you know her situation ?   she clearly needs help, she has a baby there for god sake , imagine if that child fell into wrong hands or was stolen off the street  !!!! 

26 minutes ago, cekipa said:

Every time I read articles about something happening in thailand, the first line has always to specify that a foreigner was involved as if that is the most important thing in the world. Hundreds are begging around all countries in Europe and nobody gives sh*t wether or not is a local of foreigner. It looks to me an attempt to distinguish the world between Thais and non Thais. How pathetic.

While "_every_ time" seems a rhetorical overstatement, there seems little doubt that in the minds of many foreigners, that colonialist, chauvinist presumptions are alive and unwell and posting, while in this thread there are many who regard a woman as a woman and a child as a child, whether they be khon Thai, farang, or any  other human being

18 minutes ago, pumpjack said:

how do you know her situation ?   she clearly needs help, she has a baby there for god sake , imagine if that child fell into wrong hands or was stolen off the street  !!!! 

If you, guys,  could read her russian social network account - you'd find all the details you wanted to know. Hubby is Russian, they just travel this way - selling her daughter's foto, they were in Thailand before, she has a job back in Russia, she has money on her credit card but she just don't want to use them.
We've just been fooled once again.

If you, guys,  could read her russian social network account - you'd find all the details you wanted to know. Hubby is Russian, they just travel this way - selling her daughter's foto, they were in Thailand before, she has a job back in Russia, she has money on her credit card but she just don't want to use them.

We?

1 hour ago, aussieozzy said:

And there we have it, those liberal apologists who criticised my post8 must now be choking on their borshch.

On 18/7/2560 at 5:25 PM, Tilacme said:

Never ever ever trust what a Russian says.

My friend married a Russian girl. Very lucky to have found her he would tell me.

She had been to medical school and graduated as a doctor. After a while she decided she couldn't stand the sight of blood, went back to Uni and became a lawyer.

Still only in her mid 20s she had loads of ideas to make them wealthy once they got together.

He supported her through her Uni and paid her fare to UK. They were married at Wembley (London) shortly afterwards.

Edited by owl sees all

Of course she needs/deserves help. It's not a common occurrence: 1...2...3...?, out of 30,000,000 plus tourists. Many other countries provide assistance to Thai nationals when they find themselves in trouble overseas.

99 % of tourists do not engage in beg-packing or anything like it. The Thai social media commentators should be a little more grateful for the tourists who do come and spend big....without them the place would be genuinely 3rd world.

7 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

My friend married a Russian girl. Very lucky to have found her he would tell me.

She had been to medical school and graduated as a doctor. After a while she decided she couldn't stand the sight of blood, went back to Uni and became a lawyer.

Still only in her mid 20s she had loads of ideas to make them wealthy once they got together.

He supported her through her Uni and paid her fare to UK. They were married at Wembley (London) shortly afterwards.

I didn't say they weren't smart, in fact they are as smart as paint.  I wish your friend well.

8 minutes ago, Tilacme said:

I didn't say they weren't smart, in fact they are as smart as paint.  I wish your friend well.

Unfortunately it didn't last long; about 14 months. Just after he had bought her a flat in Kilburn (London) they were divorced. When he looks back now it is with some regret.

2 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Unfortunately it didn't last long; about 14 months. Just after he had bought her a flat in Kilburn (London) they were divorced. When he looks back now it is with some regret.

I was 99% sure that would have been the outcome.

1 minute ago, Tilacme said:

I was 99% sure that would have been the outcome.

His friends warned him to be careful. He was just bowled over with her charm and perceived intelligence. He couldn't see that maybe she was just after her stay and some money.

When they were divorced he was so depleted. Even today he can't see the truth. He blames himself 100%.

She never worked in the UK. Apart from the money he gave her we (his mates) couldn't understand how she made ends meet.

Personally I didn't think she ever went to medical school or Uni back in Russia.

11 hours ago, moe666 said:

I give nothing to beggars any where, the majority are scam artist. In the city I lived in many years ago there was a couple who would park their butts near the freeway and they had a sign stranded they would rake in 1500 dollars a day on Sat. and Sun. the remainder of the week I would see them about town going about their daily business. Put this woman in a taxi and send her to Russian Embassy I doubt she will want to go

The village markets at the top of my street, regularly has a beggar or two, hanging around

no legs.... a begging bowl..... no arms... a begging bowl etc etc

I always toss them a few baht. A couple of USD, means a lot to them, whilst being fairly insignificant to me... whilst emptying those damn one baht coins from my wallet

I love reading TVF. Attacks against TVF posters who stay here along time. Hatred towards kids who even though they are complete divs have actually done ok for themselves here. Assumptions that anyone here more than a decade is an alcoholic with a bar girl. It's great. All about a scrounging Ruskie 555. She's a scrounger. End of story. Have a nice day. Drop 500 in her bowl if it makes you feel better. I'm all for an IQ test on entering Thailand. Just saying 

4 hours ago, Mad mick said:

She russian on the quality tourist list with the chines and Indians. All other farangs are banned for not bringing 20,000 baht cash the orher quality tourist dont have to as they r on group tours all paid up in country of origin ' only  spend a little money at 7/11 or family mart for a beer . Basically she can go to embassy : they fly her home end of story . All the Africans and burmese ,Nepalese , lndians Arabs , run all the stores on sukhumvit and mbk department store " thais dont have the jobs cant afford the rent no jobs up goes crime " criky a blind can see " right in front of the police both soi 4 all the illegal pro's  i know prostitution is a illegal in thailand the locals have np choice or starve to death now have to compete with africans Russians Arabs etc all up from soi 3 side and sukhumvit rd "  been rife for years  graft has " basically bleed thailand dry . Gee jaunta done more damage to economy than anyone prior shinawatra clan were bad enough. This mob jaunta r far worse .

Amazing thailand. 

I would not generalize by nationality as you suggest, as some of the world's richest people are Indians, Chinese and Russian....

One could call for the assment of a "quality" tourist/expat to be done on a case-to-case basis and definately not biased on race, colour or nationality!

3 hours ago, pumpjack said:

Really? You think her husband left his baby on the street? 

https://www.couchsurfing.com/people/nna.zhuk

She is regularly checking in to her couchsurfing account. This is what they do. They hardly look hungry do they?

I don't drink.

Would appreciate you explain the difference between sexpat teflers and working without work permit and a degree to fund their sex trips in Asia and this Russian woman? 

The difference? Let's see if there is one:-

1) No work permit? - same same.

2) No degree? - She may have one?

3) No money? - Both are certainly receiving money, only in different ways.

4) No sex? - Well as you say, the Teflers are getting some but the woman? Oh hang on, she has a baby! Same same.

5) No conscience in the upbringing of children? Ah, there you go.......

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, pumpjack said:

Naturally I do not know her situation. But I guess that if she is begging in the street, there are some strong chances that she could not qualify for having 400K or 800K in a Thai Bank account.

Precisely, as you suggest, she can get into trouble with her baby, so all the more reason to take her off the streets and if required, have her deported if she does not have financial means to support herself and her baby.

Why should the Thai taxpayer pay for western beggars, assuming she is a beggar which is raising doubt if you read other posts higher up.

It is due to such people that the Thai Immigration tighten rules at arrival and every farang gets the paycheck...

Edited by observer90210

21 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

True,

However,I was agreeing with you.

I went to the Art Gallery in Glasgow once-It sure was a lovely place.

Ah!! I think you went to the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum. It's awesome. They've got a Spitfire hanging on wires in the main hall, and Dali's Christ of St John of the Cross on display. 

The Museum of Modern Art, however, is (for a philistine like me) pants. Indeed, an exhibit comprised entirely of pants isn't beyond the curators. 

On 7/18/2017 at 3:20 PM, webfact said:

The photos posted on Facebook on Sunday have been shared more than 17,000 times and sparked much debate by Thais commenting online.

Some people came to the defence of the woman questioning how a father could leave their child in that situation.

Hmmm its the pot calling the kettle black as how many Thai men do the same thing here in this country, Unfortunate this country is rife with deserted kids and single mothers, specially in Issan.

Hmmm its the pot calling the kettle black as how many Thai men do the same thing here in this country, Unfortunate this country is rife with deserted kids and single mothers, specially in Issan.

A lot of Thai men do not desert their kids.

No shortage of western men on this site deserting their Thai families...

So it turns out this is a scam.  Her and her husband appear to be scamming their way round Asia.  And there was me starting to feel sorry for her after reading the first 10 or so TVF comments.

I just don't understand how these fake beggars can live with themselves.  Firstly they're giving genuine poverty stricken street beggars a bad name, and secondly do they have no pride or self respect, standing there asking (often poor) members of the public for spare change?!

It takes a special kind of person to sink that low...

I remember in Arizona there was a surge of panhandlers holding signs "will work for food" I know of a few that actually paid to rent someones children when panhandling.

I saw a local news broadcast cuts from a film of one panhandler for a day. When he decided it was time to take off they filmed him changing out of his rags and climbing into a new luxury car. False news?

5 minutes ago, Grumpy Duck said:

I remember in Arizona there was a surge of panhandlers holding signs "will work for food" I know of a few that actually paid to rent someones children when panhandling.

I saw a local news broadcast cuts from a film of one panhandler for a day. When he decided it was time to take off they filmed him changing out of his rags and climbing into a new luxury car. False news?

There were beggars on the bridge across the Thames outside Waterloo station and apparently till peopled cottoned on they earned hundreds of pounds a day. I stopped giving to charity in S Wales when we found out the IRA were benefiting from some of it.

3 hours ago, owl sees all said:

His friends warned him to be careful. He was just bowled over with her charm and perceived intelligence. He couldn't see that maybe she was just after her stay and some money.

When they were divorced he was so depleted. Even today he can't see the truth. He blames himself 100%.

She never worked in the UK. Apart from the money he gave her we (his mates) couldn't understand how she made ends meet.

Personally I didn't think she ever went to medical school or Uni back in Russia.

Very sad story and I feel for the poor guy.  The av brit including judges and law makers brought up on values like "a promise is a promise" have no idea.