Worried about getting through Immigration for my Multiple Entry ED Visa

With a lot of new about people being pushed back from Thailand immigration I'm really paranoid since I am leaving in 2 weeks for Thailand.

I just want to check I have enough evidence not to be declined on entry with my Multiple Entry 1 Year ED Visa. 

Can I just list things and people tell me if I'm missing anything. 

1. Passport with 1 Year Multiple Entry ED Visa
  2. 20,000+ Baht in cash
  3. Return flight dated for the end of the Uni Year. 
  4. Bank Statement and Paychecks from Job from home country to show I can support myself. 
  5. Letter of Acceptance from the University + Letter that the University wrote to the Embassy to confirm my studies
  6. Qualification certificates earned in my home country.
  7. Receipt from Dorm saying that I have paid the security deposit and advance rent. 

Also I have 5 30 Day Visa Exception Stamps on my passport.

3 From 2015 

2 from 2016

But last time I was in Thailand was October of 2016 will this be a problem at all? 

Edited by Zetta
spelling sucks.

If you can, that is only if you can,  if I was in your place, I would postpone my trips until things chill down a bit with Thai Immigration chaps...

Give your money to another country in the world that is more hospitable on arrival....

<removed>

Edited by ubonjoe
off topic comment removed

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Why

Nothing has really changed. Just a few more cases that were posted on this forum.

You are right...but what is scaring me off, I admit, it that there is absolutely no consistency in the rules that already did exist...a bit to much is in the hands of the sole immigration officer who can plainly refuse entry just on assumptions? I just hope that I am totally wrong on this one....

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

You are right...but what is scaring me off, I admit, it that there is absolutely no consistency in the rules that already did exist...a bit to much is in the hands of the sole immigration officer who can plainly refuse entry just on assumptions? I just hope that I am totally wrong on this one....

What makes you think one immigration officer makes the decision. It is certainly not the officer at desk on entry that makes the decision. It takes an officer of a certain rank to deny entry and it may go through a couple of officers before it gets there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

What makes you think one immigration officer makes the decision. It is certainly not the officer at desk on entry that makes the decision. It takes an officer of a certain rank to deny entry and it may go through a couple of officers before it gets there.

Obviously, but stil it is a bit stressful on arrival!!...but perhaps no big issue,  as I do tend to worry a bit about details.

Nevertheless, if there remains a possibility that it could occur for an unknown reason, that is disturbing - once again I fully hope that I am wrong, but on reading many of the stories,  and seeing that entry refusal is being enforced and sometimes for no apparent reason, it is a bit unconfortable to start a sojourn of the sort.

Question - which airport are you flying into?

If there's one trend from the various reports is that if there is a crackdown it seems to be restricted to Bangkok specifically. Zero reports from people flying into Chiang Mai or Phuket. If worried avoid entering via Bangkok, pick another airport - I've flown in and out of Chiang Mai internationally many times in the last 5 years on a variety of visa exempts, tourist visas and ED visas and never once had a problem...they don't even check the visa history. 

Edited by lordblackader

3 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

They may test your Thai so be ready.

He's coming to do a course at University.   Why do you assume just because its an ED visa that it is for learning Thai?

I know a few people that have come here to do MBAs at the local Universities.

3 hours ago, Zetta said:
3 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

They may test your Thai so be ready.

I hope not, I'm studying Engineering at a International University. 

Hahaha great response!

3 hours ago, dluek said:

The people fear mongering on this thread are being completely ridiculous. 

Zetta, you have a valid visa to attend a university with all of -- actually more than -- the necessary paperwork and funds. I can't believe these people are saying you might have a problem based on a very small number of travelers who were abusing the tourist visa / visa-exempt system and were denied entry for lacking 20,000 Baht cash. Thousands of foreigners still come into Thailand every day with no problems. And you will be one of them. 

One of them had a new, valid ED visa, another a Tourist Visa, and neither had "abused' anything - they aren't the ones who made up the rules. 
The one with the ED lacked the 20K Baht in cash (must have thought it was the 21st century, or something)

7 hours ago, observer90210 said:

You have the cash and all that paperwork, and are going to a 4-year university (not a language school)  You should be fine.  To erase all fears, get the ph# of someone at the University, to call in a pinch - so if there is any doubt of the validity of your entry (unlikely), you can erase all doubt quickly.

9 hours ago, dluek said:

The people fear mongering on this thread are being completely ridiculous. 

Zetta, you have a valid visa to attend a university with all of -- actually more than -- the necessary paperwork and funds. I can't believe these people are saying you might have a problem based on a very small number of travelers who were abusing the tourist visa / visa-exempt system and were denied entry for lacking 20,000 Baht cash. Thousands of foreigners still come into Thailand every day with no problems. And you will be one of them. 

As the OP failed to say WHAT he was studying, I assumed it was Thai at a language school, hence my comment. For those of you who are studying Thai,  you may be questioned. I have seen it at local immigration offices and it happens at arrival.

54 minutes ago, Somtamnication said:

As the OP failed to say WHAT he was studying, I assumed it was Thai at a language school, hence my comment. For those of you who are studying Thai,  you may be questioned. I have seen it at local immigration offices and it happens at arrival.

Even if so, a genuine student ought to be able to bounce back in Thai. I think this is actually one of the easiest ways for an immigration officer to prove or disprove someone's studying credentials. I'm surprised ED visas are still a problem actually, given the massive tightening up on schools and requirements a couple of years ago. It'd likely be very hard to abuse the system with these nowadays. 

One thing to keep in mind. Thousands of people come thru the airport every day. That detention room there can only hold up to a couple dozen people and not much more. To end up there u gotta be very unlucky or have done something really unmindful, like not have cash with you or be rude to the IO. Very very low chance u get a problem coming in.

1 minute ago, Essecola said:

One thing to keep in mind. Thousands of people come thru the airport every day. That detention room there can only hold up to a couple dozen people and not much more. To end up there u gotta be very unlucky or have done something really unmindful, like not have cash with you or be rude to the IO. Very very low chance u get a problem coming in.

Yes, probably one in thousands. The reports are an important heads up, but shouldn't distort the real picture. 

6 hours ago, JackThompson said:

One of them had a new, valid ED visa, another a Tourist Visa, and neither had "abused' anything - they aren't the ones who made up the rules. 
The one with the ED lacked the 20K Baht in cash (must have thought it was the 21st century, or something)

You have the cash and all that paperwork, and are going to a 4-year university (not a language school)  You should be fine.  To erase all fears, get the ph# of someone at the University, to call in a pinch - so if there is any doubt of the validity of your entry (unlikely), you can erase all doubt quickly.

"neither had "abused' anything"

From the information provided I don't agree with this.

"The one with the ED lacked the 20K Baht in cash"

That was just the excuse, the presumed working/abuse was IMO the real reason.

15 hours ago, observer90210 said:

If you can, that is only if you can,  if I was in your place, I would postpone my trips until things chill down a bit with Thai Immigration chaps...

Give your money to another country in the world that is more hospitable on arrival....

<removed>

Or, you could do what a normal person does and actully follow the rules, which it sounds like the OP has done.

There is consistency. If you are a young male living here on tourist visas (with an occasional ED visa thrown in to look different)   you run the risk of getting turned away. Same as if you lived in USA with multiple visas and immigration became suspicious of you. Difference is you can only live in USA for limited time periods.  In Thailand people think they can live here permanently with tourist visas then 30 day extensions then road trips to get one more visa after another and another till infinity and beyond ----until they can't. Not judging you or trying to upset you ----just stating the facts. Don't see immigration officer questioning tourist with one or two tourist visas or hassling them.

I know guys living here for several years who cannot afford the O-A visa. Good guys but IMO Thailand does not want them living in Thailand for years and years on tourist or education visas.  Will it cause Thailand's tourism to crash and burn as some on TV have predicted. Heck no in the grand scheme of things if you cannot afford to have a proper visa to live here you should not live here and your lack of presence in Thailand will not cause the country to go bankrupt. Sorry but you are not that special.  Take control of your life and save some money and you will be welcomed in most countries in the world. Peace ?

Edited by Wake Up

17 hours ago, observer90210 said:

<removed>

This is some of the worst advice I have seen on this forum, and I completely disagree with what you say.

The OP has done a great job educating himself on what is happening at Immigration and has prepared all the documents he possibly can.  It is very, very unlikely he will have a problem.  To suggest he should not travel to Thailand at this time is just plain silly.

Students enrolled fulltime in degree programs at Universities are usually viewed quite differently form those enrolled in Thai language schools and the like, the latter being widely viewed as a means of getting a visa.

Since from the ED visa alone they will not know what school or program, possible you'll get some questions, but if so I think as soon as you produce acceptance letter showing it is a degree program at a university, you'll be fine.

Also fact that you have been out of Thailand for the past10 months, and had only 2 short stays in 2016,  will help.

The people who have had problems have been essentially living here on strings of tourist visas and visa exemptions. Not your situation.

(But wise to have all the paperwork you mentioned and cash, just in case).

1 hour ago, Wake Up said:

There is consistency. If you are a young male living here on tourist visas (with an occasional ED visa thrown in to look different)   you run the risk of getting turned away. Same as if you lived in USA with multiple visas and immigration became suspicious of you. Difference is you can only live in USA for limited time periods.  In Thailand people think they can live here permanently with tourist visas then 30 day extensions then road trips to get one more visa after another and another till infinity and beyond ----until they can't. Not judging you or trying to upset you ----just stating the facts. Don't see immigration officer questioning tourist with one or two tourist visas or hassling them.

I know guys living here for several years who cannot afford the O-A visa. Good guys but IMO Thailand does not want them living in Thailand for years and years on tourist or education visas.  Will it cause Thailand's tourism to crash and burn as some on TV have predicted. Heck no in the grand scheme of things if you cannot afford to have a proper visa to live here you should not live here and your lack of presence in Thailand will not cause the country to go bankrupt. Sorry but you are not that special.  Take control of your life and save some money and you will be welcomed in most countries in the world. Peace ?

I agree that if entering at airports, what you describe is a likely scenario.  I don't this pertains to the OP, though.  They should be fine.

If someone lives in USA with multiple visas, and their passport-country's wages are much lower than in the USA, it is logical to be suspicious.  But it is foolish for the USA to scrutinize/limit tourist-visa time for those from wealthier countries.  If someone with their own money wants to live full-time in Florida - all the better for all Floridians.  It should be the same everywhere - show a bank-account and show income transfers - nothing comes up on the criminal database - "stamp-stamp" - thank you very much.

With regard to the O-A, I assume you mean 1-year extensions based on being over 50.  Yes, if they cannot come up with the agent-fees to bribe their way to that visa without meeting the qualifications - as thousands do right now - they are in rough-shape financially.    Some farang-ghettos I've seen make "hippy-digs" look nice, by comparison.  Maybe there will be a crackdown on over-50s using agents, some day, as these folks are actually breaking the law - unlike those using repeated Tourist Visas. 

OTOH, the vast majority of foreigners in both groups do no harm to the country - just contribute foreign-sourced funds - so better for the locals to leave both alone.  A few of the old-timers get sick without insurance.  A few of the TR Visa types teach English illegally.  Those problems could be corrected with required-insurance and more reasonable requirements for retirees, and workplace labor-enforcement to block the bad-TRs, while keeping the benefits contributed by the vast-majority in each group.

Edited by JackThompson

On 18/07/2017 at 10:21 AM, observer90210 said:

<removed>

why ?????

look here , its all perfectly explained  - 

17 hours ago, pumpjack said:

why ?????

look here , its all perfectly explained  - 

That fellow provides some good info / advise - but he is wrong about India.  They figured out that their 6-mo/yr rule was just sending money to other countries, so they stopped that - at least from visitors from wealthier nations.  Citizens of the USA an Europe can out/back on TR visas forever in India without a problem, now - same as Cambodia, Vietnam, The Philippines, most of Latin America, etc. 

On 7/19/2017 at 9:55 AM, Wake Up said:

Don't see immigration officer questioning tourist with one or two tourist visas or hassling them.

That depends on your nationality. Those from India and African countries are scrutinized closely on every entry.