Digital Nomads

15 minutes ago, Dan5 said:

The requirements for a retirement visa have been the same for what 20, 30 years.

Exactly, 800K is a a bit too small considering Thailand's status as one of the best options to live in the region. And as you have said, it hasn't changed for a long long time.

I understand last time it jumped from 200K to 800K, so the multiplying factor is 4 (four).

800K x 4 =3.2 M. Sounds about right at 3M.

That is in line with the newly proposed 10 year visa, which is kind of a 5 year visa x2 actually (to make sure you still hold the 3 million half way through I'm guessing), that is also meant to promote Thailand as a medical hub.

In other news today, a British ex-star that had an accident in the jungles of Koh Samui, and was taken to the Samui International Hospital, had to change hospitals because first night's charge would have amounted to THB 570,000.

But to come back on topic, I am delighted to see the continuous efforts of the current administration to get the good guys in and bad guys out.

Well done! :)

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

Just now, perthperson said:

Nope the "best" way to stay if under 50 is to qualify for an extension of stay based on  marriage. 1900 Bht per annum - a bargain. 

Well, I don't think the IO cared how much it costs. But we could also assume the person is well under 50 also. 

10 minutes ago, Dan5 said:

Don't hold your breath.  Why do you think they are coming soon. Any real factual evidence or are you just blowing it out of your ....?  The requirements for a retirement visa have been the same for what 20, 30 years.

There have been lots of changes over that timeframe. The income/capital requirements have gone up. The old practice where money could be "lent" to satisfy the capital requirement has been eliminated. The rules have been tightened up as the proof that will be accepted in terms of letters from your embassy. It has certainly got more difficult. I have met several people who used qualify for it but can't any more. In some cases, simply due to the exchange rate shifting.

A lot of speculation over the planned new "10 year" retirement visa... which is mooted to require 120,000 a month income, or 3 million baht deposited in a Thai bank account. That's a lot more than the 65k / 800,000 they require now for one year. It sure would be interesting if when/if they introduced this they got rid of the 1 year retirement extension entirely - METV vs the old triple entry, anyone? Perhaps it would be a good idea, it might improve the "quality" of the retirees here. Get rid of the "retiree rodents" and "pensioner pests".

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dan5 said:

Wow! Retirements visas are easy. They don't care how you make your money as long as it comes from outside Thailand. I've never heard of anyone on a retirement visa paying taxes in Thailand. And if you are an American, there is a tax agreement between Thailand and the USA which effectively means since taxes are higher in the USA, you'll never be liable in Thailand for money you made in the USA. But in any case, you aren't going to be liable for Thai taxes unless you work in Thailand or have a business in Thailand. Funny story. I know a guy who thought he might owe taxes. They wouldn't give him the tax form. They said you can't have the form unless you have a work permit.

All these people looking for problems that don't exist. Just relax and enjoy life in Thailand.

You've probably heard the saying "a little knowledge is a a dangerous thing". It seems to me that applies to all the speculation on this subject.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whitemouse said:

I once met a postman from Yorkshire, England, who's only time on Thailand was 3 weeks out of the year,  that was his hard earned vacation in Chang Rai.  He was very, very upset with people who had made different life choices :) 

He then retired, and lived on a small pension, just enough to survive. He was a sad, sad man. 

But he lived and probably held his head up high. When you look at some of the POGs in Thailand you wonder what on earth went wrong.

Forward planning and a little hard work should set most people up for a good life.

8 minutes ago, Dan5 said:

You've probably heard the saying "a little knowledge is a a dangerous thing". It seems to me that applies to all the speculation on this subject.

You're talking to yourself now Dan, that can be a sign you know

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, blorg said:

I think a lot of digital nomads would be quite happy to pay a normal amount for a non-immigrant visa and then pay normal Thai taxes, which are reasonable. If they have a rule where the income has to come from outside Thailand, it can't be taking work from any Thai person. So it's bringing money into Thailand AND the government gets a cut.  Throw in a reasonable income minimum to keep out the bottom feeders if you like, I think that's 50,000 at the moment for most Westerners to get a regular work permit, you could make it a bit more if you want, set it at the 65,000 retiree rodents have to show? I don't see the downside for such an arrangement for anyone... except bitter old expats who just resent younger people being here full stop.

Sounds to me like someone is very jealous of those who have saved enough to have a good pension and can legally stay in Thailand without further work.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, blorg said:

It sure would be interesting if when/if they introduced this they got rid of the 1 year retirement extension entirely - METV vs the old triple entry, anyone? Perhaps it would be a good idea, it might improve the "quality" of the retirees here. Get rid of the "retiree rodents" and "pensioner pests".

And then you would have some retirees using METV and being stopped on arrival and being advised they should use the correct visa (retirement) or go Elite.

Yes many would say, far stretched, but remember elections are nowhere near, and even when they come, Thailand's future has already been written for the next 20 years.

In regards to the Elites liking or not liking us, I would agree and disagree, I would say they never did like us that much really in the past either, it's just that nowadays they are willing to smile again at much higher financial requirements.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, blorg said:

You got me, not a day goes by I don't wake up and think "you know what I wish, I wish I were 20 or 30 years older"

I will retire when I have to -- I cannot see myself ever wanting too.  My break even point right now (without digging into savings) is around 4 billable days worth of work a month.... simply because I have passed the point where I need anything other than a few toys (tech toys) from time to time.

5 minutes ago, blorg said:

You got me, not a day goes by I don't wake up and think "you know what I wish, I wish I were 20 or 30 years older"

Retirement is the best thing that ever happened to me. Early retirement at 55, 6 months UK, 6 months Thailand/Singapore. Leisure, no work related stress. OK, a few OAP related medical issues easily controlled.

I would recommend that everyone should retire as soon as they can financially do so. My BP has fallen to a nice low level, low pulse and plenty of sleep at night. Wonderful life.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, blorg said:

There have been lots of changes over that timeframe. The income/capital requirements have gone up. The old practice where money could be "lent" to satisfy the capital requirement has been eliminated. The rules have been tightened up as the proof that will be accepted in terms of letters from your embassy. It has certainly got more difficult. I have met several people who used qualify for it but can't any more. In some cases, simply due to the exchange rate shifting.

A lot of speculation over the planned new "10 year" retirement visa... which is mooted to require 120,000 a month income, or 3 million baht deposited in a Thai bank account. That's a lot more than the 65k / 800,000 they require now for one year. It sure would be interesting if when/if they introduced this they got rid of the 1 year retirement extension entirely - METV vs the old triple entry, anyone? Perhaps it would be a good idea, it might improve the "quality" of the retirees here. Get rid of the "retiree rodents" and "pensioner pests".

Well - one thing is for sure - the "Agent Charge" the fakers pay for their fraudulent-finance retirement-visas would go way up - might be 100K or maybe double that.  Condos and Bars in Sihanoukville, Cambodia might be a good investment, if you knew for sure when/if it was going to happen.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Flustered said:

Retirement is the best thing that ever happened to me. Early retirement at 55, 6 months UK, 6 months Thailand/Singapore. Leisure, no work related stress. OK, a few OAP related medical issues easily controlled.

I would recommend that everyone should retire as soon as they can financially do so. My BP has fallen to a nice low level, low pulse and plenty of sleep at night. Wonderful life.

I really cannot afford to retire then.... If my BP falls further.... I won't be able to stand up anymore :shock1:  Though my heart rate now is rather fast.... use to be low to mid 30s (in University) now up in the low 40s....  probably could drop it down in the high 30s if I exercised more.

Retirement to me looks like endless monotony to me, I like having stuff to do... things to build.... to me... work is fun.... not stressful.

Edited by bkkcanuck8
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Flustered said:

Retirement is the best thing that ever happened to me. Early retirement at 55

And good for you and I wish you the best. I think part of the aim with this whole digital nomad thing though is the idea that you don't have to slave away in an office in one place all your life to aim at a final retirement date even if early... why not travel now, when you are still young and have all your legs, and do a bit of work as you go? It's a different way of looking at life.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, blorg said:

You're talking to yourself now Dan, that can be a sign you know

I have no idea what you are talking about, but it doesn't matter. I've lived here a long time and really enjoy myself and don't speculate on all the possible bad things or problems that could happen. And I never seem to run into them. But the quote stands. I'm pretty certain the vast majority of people who are posting on this crazy thread don't know much about what they are talking about. It.'s not likely any of them are tax accountants or lawyers. But I guess people are free to make themselves miserable.

• Like 2

Just now, blorg said:

And good for you and I wish you the best. I think part of the aim with this whole digital nomad thing though is the idea that you don't have to slave away in an office in one place all your life to aim at a final retirement date even if early... why not travel now, when you are still young and have all your legs, and do a bit of work as you go? It's a different way of looking at life.

How much 'travelling' do these nomads actually do?   Not much it seems unless they are forced into trying to get yet another TV to prolong their stay in Thailand............

4 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

I really cannot afford to retire then.... If my BP falls further.... I won't be able to stand up anymore :shock1:  Though my heart rate now is rather fast.... use to be low to mid 30s (in University) now up in the low 40s....  probably could drop it down in the high 30s if I exercised more.

Retirement to me looks like endless monotony to me, I like having stuff to do... things to build.... to me... work is fun.... not stressful.

A heart rate in the mid 30s is something you should worry about unless you are as fit as Mo Farah.

Interesting article in the Mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2629213/Pensioner-81-records-worlds-slowest-heart-beat-resting-heart-rate-lower-elite-athletes-elephants.html

5 minutes ago, Flustered said:

A heart rate in the mid 30s is something you should worry about unless you are as fit as Mo Farah.

Interesting article in the Mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2629213/Pensioner-81-records-worlds-slowest-heart-beat-resting-heart-rate-lower-elite-athletes-elephants.html

Never been a problem - it runs in the family and my father is now in his late 70s.... it has gone to the 40s because I am out of shape.... low 30s when I was running 10K everyday.  (reached into the 50s when I was drinking regularly with less exercise).

Basically retirement would give me no benefits, it will just give me time to do nothing productive ( I would say boredom but I don't think I really ever feel bored).... always something whirling around in my brain....  it is why I like walking... gives me a break and time to think....  a change of pace... but retirement.... that just seems like an unnecessary evil...

Edited by bkkcanuck8

13 minutes ago, perthperson said:

How much 'travelling' do these nomads actually do?   Not much it seems unless they are forced into trying to get yet another TV to prolong their stay in Thailand............

There's a contradiction in what you are saying.

Because they have to get another TV, they travel at least 4 times a year, some even more.

4+ times a year "not much"?

Edited by lkv

1 minute ago, Rc2702 said:

Immigration: you work in thailand? 

Me: no

Immigration: Why you bring 3 computers on holiday.

Me: in case one gets lost or broke

Immigration: Ok khap welcome to Thailand. 

I did get a funny look when I declared a rack mounted computer and 2,000 DVD collection .....  then, ok welcome to Thailand.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

I did get a funny look when I declared a rack mounted computer and 2,000 DVD collection .....  then, ok welcome to Thailand.

2,000 DVD! put them on a portable drive.

I am in the middle of downloading/converting our entire DVD/VHS library for those dark winter nights in Chiang Rai when I do not want to see another episode of Dr Tom in Thai.

Right now, up to 7 TB and climbing. Just starting to download the latest Game of Thrones episodes.

Re retirement, I would never want to go back to being 40 or 50 again with those 16 hour days, critical paths and milestones to meet. Now it's all about exercise, gardening, reading and being put in place by my 13 year old grandson when I try to teach him how to write real code (low level programming) rather than Mickey Mouse game coding.

• Like 2