"My Mate Nate" doesn't have a work permit - but lucky break means he won't be prosecuted for working

webfact

thats the question,

do you need a work permit, if you get paid on your youtube channel,

do you need a work permit, if you do drone filming, for your yt channel,

where is the difference, if a hollywood film crew is doing a movie in Thailand ?

is it better, to have an open discussion, to avoid future cases of expats, getting trouble, while living on ther youtube channel.

to say, hey Casey Neistat, get a work permit for your next thailand trip ?

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, 1024 said:
Mr Nate needs no language coaching from a bunch of PC T-Visa snowflakes.

Little nate has admitted he  doesn't understand Thai's or the reason the  Thais are offended by his videos. Nate  needs coaching about his language skills as well as his skills of living as an adult. He's proved he hasn't developed either one properly.

13 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

Finally, I'd like to say that after reading all the comments on this thread and stupid public complaints about this, that Thailand has become such a sad place, full of sad losers. Instead of using this silly incident to be a cause for rallying around more liberal changes to Thai labor laws, people (especially loser expats) are jumping up and down hoping some person is deported. Jealous, perhaps ?

I think that changes to Thai labour laws are out of TvisaF member's scope.

Who are loser ex-pats? Not those members posting here surely?!

First of all, the Labor Dept have just openly said (not in words, but in their actions) that Nate was NOT breaking the law, he did NOT need a work permit for making youtube videos of himself. 

Because if he did need a work permit, they would have charged him !!!.....Government Ministries simply can not just say amnesty and the laws - as they are already written - no longer apply....(Come to Thailand, we're having an amnesty this month on working illegally,  next month an amnesty on drunk drivers killing cops, and amnesty after that on murder. And enjoy your vacation with no worries!) ..They are using the "amnesty" as an excuse to avoid the stupid situation they are being put in by jealous fools in Thai society. And subtly saying  please Mr Nate stop doing what you are doing, just so our sheeple in society all can be happy ignorant fools once again. This is how Thailand works.

The implication is this, if he really did need a work permit.....then every single foreign person, recording video or taking pictures on holiday or otherwise, even for no compensation whatsoever would be guilty as well for working without a permit. As said numerous times before this is not the intention of the Labor Act and never was.............If you think otherwise, they you probably also believe  that next year the Labor dept will order arrests of any tourists with camera for working illegally. 

Finally, I'd like to say that after reading all the comments on this thread and stupid public complaints about this, that Thailand has become such a sad place, full of sad losers. Instead of using this silly incident to be a cause for rallying around more liberal changes to Thai labor laws, people (especially loser expats) are jumping up and down hoping some person is deported. Jealous, perhaps ?

How about the "lucky break" part?

3 minutes ago, DisainaM said:

thats the question,

do you need a work permit, if you get paid on your youtube channel,

do you need a work permit, if you do drone filming, for your yt channel,

where is the difference, if a hollywood film crew is doing a movie in Thailand ?

is it better, to have an open discussion, to avoid future cases of expats, getting trouble, while living on ther youtube channel.

to say, hey Casey Neistat, get a work permit for your next thailand trip ?

The guide here is if someone (not necessarily the worker) is intending to make money, from the workers labor, then yes a work permit is needed. 

If you're just doing home chores, or a hobby, or something for fun, or investing your own money, then no work permit is needed.......but there will always be the fools on this forum that believe they're breaking the law by washing your cups and plates or withdrawing money from an ATM or a million other mundane things without a work permit.

7 hours ago, Thechook said:

It appears so

As I understood reading that, the amnesty was more for illegal Thai employers, to hold off the ฿800,000 fines as too severe. 

Just like in the US there is a $5000 per worker mandatory fine in place for being caught using illegal workers. But ICE seldom raids such businesses. I have even read about US defense contractors hiring illegals. 

9 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Maybe out on parole soon

I hope you are not thinking that he might be prosecuted by the Thai authorities?

Mrs Owl watches TV and from what I've seen of My Mate Nate TV could do with some of his ingenuity and raw talent.

And on the point of the cat v scorpion battle; who won??

Edited by owl sees all

Just now, owl sees all said:

I hope you are not thinking that he might be prosecuted by the Thai authorities?

Mrs Owl watches TV and from what I've seen of My Mate Nate TV could do with some of his ingenuity and raw talent.

And on the point of the cat scorpion battle; who won??

Sorry that comment was for the Mercedes drives who got 5 years i meshed it up.

53 minutes ago, Plonk said:

I would assume that if his income is paid by an overseas company and went into an overseas bank, he would not have taxable income in Thailand.

There was a rumor years ago that a Microsoft programmer was living in Chiang Mai and working sans permit via a computer linked to Redmond. However, today the Thai government considers any kind of work, even without visible income, as requiring a work permit.

Yes, he does owe US taxes IF he made over $96,000.  At least that was the case last I looked. Doesn't matter where you make it, where you are paid, or whose bank you put it in. A US taxpayer person (you don't even need to be a citizen, just someone with an SS number, such as a dependent children who have never even been in the US) owes taxes on everything ABOVE the 96,000 US dollar exemption.  Also you MUST file with FACTA any non-US bank accounts equivalent to $15,000 aggregate. Nate may escape the Thai authorities but the IRS is going to clean his clock.

1 minute ago, Destiny1990 said:

Sorry that comment was for the Mercedes drives who got 5 years i meshed it up.

Not to worry. There is so much My Mate Nate stuff on here I reckon we are all confused!

The social media, such as YouTube, are actually giving financial incentives for inappropriate and anti social behaviour.  When it comes to what is considered foreigners as working in Thailand, whether paid or voluntary, then this falls under fine law or grey areas within the laws and until this can be defined, it becomes very difficult to prosecute these people.

I have no doubts this guy knows exactly what he`s doing, has done his homework, and has turned being a moron into a prosperous business. I also have no doubts that he`s enjoying and benefiting from the publicity he is receiving. The more outrageous and obscene he appears, the more likes he`ll get, all good for business backed up by the power of Google and facebook.

If happened 20 or more years ago, this idiot would not have been heard of, but now with the Internet and especially the many social media outlets, morons can find international fame very quickly, whereas in today`s society acting the idiot and a clown is considered a form of rebellion and they become heroes and role models for the young generations.

Sad signs of our times and we can expect to see more idiots and clowns in the near future competing against each other to be top of the idiot league, especially when they have the support of big companies to egg them along.

5 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

The guide here is if someone (not necessarily the worker) is intending to make money, from the workers labor, then yes a work permit is needed. 

If you're just doing home chores, or a hobby, or something for fun, or investing your own money, then no work permit is needed.......but there will always be the fools on this forum that believe they're breaking the law by washing your cups and plates or withdrawing money from an ATM or a million other mundane things without a work permit.

so, every thailand vbloger on commercial base would need a work permit ?

It doesn't matter what people on this forum thinks about what is work and what isn't- as it is the labor department that makes the rules and enforces them or does not.  It is perfectly clear as already stated by labor officials that people working around their homes does not need a work permit.  It is also perfectly clear that Mr. Nate did need a work permit as the officials have indicated he won't be charged this time because of an 'amnesty'.

I doubt too many people are jealous of Mr. Nate -what seems to irritate most people who criticize him is that he comes off as arrogant and self serving. If one is going to apologize do so and be humble and don't make excuses. In addition, he is a public figure and he is the one who put himself out there. Criticism is part of it when you go public.

I wish him well- he has some talent that can be used to inform people on real issues if he so desires or he can continue with his current schtick which has certain caveats. I could care less about his Visa status or Work Permit status. That's for he and the authorities to work out.

Digital Nomads would be wise to band together and form a company legally with shared expenses for setup and admin. Profit shares could be distributed per how much revenue you contribute. Get work permits and make it all above board instead of working holed up at Coffee Today or Starbucks. It would filter out those who did not really generate a significant amount of revenue and maybe have a minimum monthly revenue expected (average) of 50K baht to qualify as an employee.

You mean like Iglu.net

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Work permits? I noticed a poster at immigration "Want to work as a model in Thailand? You need a work permit" 

i forsee a person getting ฿2000 for a one time photo being charged for working without a permit and the photographer being fined $800,000 for using an unlicensed model cheating a modeling agency of a fee. 

How does Hollywood handle this? They often film in exotic locations did Stallone get a Thai work permit for his work in Rambo that was filmed in Thailand? As well as the entire film crew? 

4 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

... but they should be trying to get and hold people who just want to live in thailand and spend money.

And what is the relevance of the above statement with regard to digital pikeys? Here's a clue.

Tourists spend money.

Workers pay taxes.

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

And what is the relevance of the above statement with regard to digital pikeys? Here's a clue.

Tourists spend money.

Workers pay taxes.

almost no one in thailand pays income tax. the best hope the thai govt has is that people spend money and they get to collect the VAT.

4 hours ago, tonray said:

Digital Nomads would be wise to band together and form a company legally with shared expenses for setup and admin. Profit shares could be distributed per how much revenue you contribute. Get work permits and make it all above board instead of working holed up at Coffee Today or Starbucks. It would filter out those who did not really generate a significant amount of revenue and maybe have a minimum monthly revenue expected (average) of 50K baht to qualify as an employee.

But... but.... I'm a freelancer!!!!

11 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

It doesn't matter what people on this forum thinks about what is work and what isn't- as it is the labor department that makes the rules and enforces them or does not.

Should read; labour department makes-up the rules as it goes along.

Laws, rules, guidelines, regs etc. are so deliberately vague here they can be interpreted any which way.

Edited by owl sees all

2 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Laws, rules, guidelines, regs etc. are so deliberately vague here they can be interpreted any which way.

that is the system,

what was accepted yesterday, is a crime today,

with this system, you can collect more penalties, cause many did something wrong, - without knowing -,

7 hours ago, ChidlomDweller said:

You point is?  I'm sure as an academic he pays taxes in the UK.  If he were employed as an academic in Thailand he should  pay taxes here.  (Let's not get into the separate argument whether this government is worthy of our taxes.)

By the way, as far as I understand it, the law here is that you only pay taxes on income generated here.  For instance, if I go to Singapore for a consulting job or receive rental income abroad, that's not taxable.  That would legally get many digital nomads off the hook.  Not that annoying Nate creature, though.

Academic? UK? Last I heard he was an ex Mormon from the USA?

5 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

almost no one in thailand pays income tax. the best hope the thai govt has is that people spend money and they get to collect the VAT.

What the locals chose not to do is absolutely no excuse for foreigners to freeload. There's probably plenty of your fellow countrymen back home who have very strong opinions on this as well.

I agree, let the Thai revenue claw back all they can from VAT, be it from residents or tourists.

In the meantime, Thai Immigration can do its bit by showing the digital pikeys the one-way door.

4 minutes ago, sambum said:

Academic? UK? Last I heard he was an ex Mormon from the USA?

I was responding to a quote above that has since been deleted.  Someone posted a photo of Stephen Hawking and asked "what about him, would he have to pay taxes?"  

Seems like I can't delete or edit it anymore, so it'll have to remain there for posterity. :)  

Edited by ChidlomDweller

On 7/18/2017 at 2:16 PM, Somtamnication said:

Because this is Thailand. Making it harder and harder for the rest of us who have families here. I don't see it improving until after the "election". :thumbsup:

You actually expect anything in this country to improve after an election?   Any election that occurs in the future under this junta will be rigged to favor the military.  The (sham) election will be just to appease the peons.

13 minutes ago, Grumpy Duck said:

Work permits? I noticed a poster at immigration "Want to work as a model in Thailand? You need a work permit" 

i forsee a person getting ฿2000 for a one time photo being charged for working without a permit and the photographer being fined $800,000 for using an unlicensed model cheating a modeling agency of a fee. 

How does Hollywood handle this? They often film in exotic locations did Stallone get a Thai work permit for his work in Rambo that was filmed in Thailand? As well as the entire film crew? 

I presume Stallone's Hollywood film company will have made sure that the correct licences were applied for and paid for "IN FULL". There have been several films made in Thailand before Rambo, so you can be sure that all the criteria has been met (all the correct palms greased?)