window frames for a new house

we will soon be starting a new house build and wonder if any members have experience with plastic window frames or aluminium frames and their oppinion of them,we had plastic frames in a house in the uk and the ones that were in direct sunlight for most of the day deteriated quite quickly so don't realy want that  problem in thailand

I think you may be in the wrong forum..........

Just to let you know I have some UPVC framed windows/doors and after 6 years or so no discolouration. They came with a 10 year warranty on fading.

I've lived in homes with both custom aluminum window profiles and in a village house with a "fighting brand" stock UPVC windows and doors sold at Thai Watsadu and other home improvement stores in Isaan. Neither has faded. There is a significant difference in the fit and finish, yet a huge difference in the prices I paid.  For the same size casement window you can pay 2400 baht or over 12K.  Depends on the brand and features. Turn and tilt windows, what spec on the insect screens, all manner of differences. Hidden Insect screens cost more than standard insect screens in Thailand.  I am keen to note the length of warranty and "where does the repair team drive from" when considering a new window investment. One expat run company I priced offered a tremendous service of a yearly inspection which I think is of serious consideration. Handles and latches can have issues over time and any company that will come back is worth consideration.  I noted Hoffen has upgraded the sliding door locks on offer at HomePro with a Solex brand door lock. Not exactly top of the line German hardware, but a step up from the Chinese rubbish locks I see so often. 

Aluminum Casement Window Installation Buriram.jpg

Buriram Single Hung Tempered Windows at Installation.jpg

thanks topt, i looked and could not find a more suitable forum but if the mods think it would be better elsewhere i assume that they would move it .on the window frames that is the type of answer that i am looking for as i said i had plastic frames and some deteriated within 2 years

I installed anodized aluminum frames but now wish I went with the powder coated. The anodizing wasn't perfect and getting a few oxidized spots after 5 years.  

14 minutes ago, RBOP said:

I installed anodized aluminum frames but now wish I went with the powder coated. The anodizing wasn't perfect and getting a few oxidized spots after 5 years.  

happy you replied as that's one thing i had not thought about but sorry to hear yours are oxidizing

7 hours ago, topt said:

Just to let you know I have some UPVC framed windows/doors and after 6 years or so no discolouration. They came with a 10 year warranty on fading.

10 years is not very long in building terms.

I fitted aluminium double-glazed windows to a house in Europe about 25 years ago. They had the best quality finish available which isnt even sold here as far as I know (factory lacquered). They cost a lot but they still look brand new, in spite of being exposed to strong summer sun and yearly temperature variations of more than 50 degrees C (+35 or higher to -15 or below).

Windows here all seem to be very poor quality to me. The imported types are better but the prices are ridiculously high (perhaps 3-4 times what they would cost in Europe).

PVC is a better insulator than aluminum, which is important where window frames sweating is a problem in cold weather when you heat a house/condo.  This could be important if you live in Northern Thailand, or even Central Thailand, if you heat in the winter.  It isn't important if you don't heat the house/condo in winter.

Aluminum will ultimately last longer than PVC, which slowly breaks down, but will ultimately look worse.  The screens will go first.

Are the screens inside?  Why the H E double L would you want screens inside, which means you have to open them in order to open the window?  You want the screens outside so you can open the window without letting bugs inside.  If you have sliding glass doors you also want screens for them.

Do you air condition a lot of the time?  If you do then you want double glazing to reduce the heat transfer through the windows and doors to reduce your AC costs.

UPVC frames are stabilised & should not yellow with direct sunlight. Had them in our last house in Thailand for 10 years - no deterioration fading or yellowing & still functioned perfectly. Was so impressed, installed custom made UPVC windows & sliding doors in our new place 4 years ago - newer multi lock design & continue to be delighted. All still as good as new & as white as new.

Edited by iang
Spelling

11 hours ago, badlad said:

...wonder if any members have experience with plastic window frames or aluminium frames and their oppinion of them...

I finished my house in 2010 – seven years ago, as we moved in August 17th – and I have "plastic" windows and sliding doors. Well, it's actually called uPVC (unplasticized PVC), so it won't deteriorate in sunlight; same as "plastic" gutters, which I also have.

I chose the "Hoffen" brand, supplied by HomePro, as it was based on German technology and ISO certified; the other major supplier is "Windsor Vinyl", a subsidiary of Cement Thai (SCC), and therefore supplied by Home Mart. At that time Hoffen would do all measuring and installation, today I believe they mainly supply standard sizes.

Based on my 7-year experience with the uPVcs, they last well without any deteriorating, whilst the metal parts, as handles and rollers in slide doors, corrodes, which is both due to humidity in the Thai weather, and that my house is close to sea and salt (beachfront, so extremely exposed during monsoon season). I even had the optional and little costly hi-end German multi-lock stuff. The Hoffen product use some quite special handles and rollors, not easy to find replacement for, and Hoffen has been more than little slow to supply spare parts; so alone based on that, I would next time look for Windsor Vinyl in the local Home Mart – however, there might also be other uPVC suppliers that I'm not aware of.

I used Windsor Vinyl for "plastic" gutters, and they did a perfect installation job, and the gutters are lasting fine, 7-years so far.

One Hoffen uPVC door gave me so major problems, and even the replacement – which I just ordered and paid for – didn't work either, so I found another solution with an aluminium folding door, made by a very local aluminium shop. That works perfect, and I'm very happy with it.

The price was almost the same when I got quotes from both Hoffen, Windsor Vinyl, and a local aluminium workshop for doors and windows. The reason I ended up with Hoffen – apart from their "German quality" and ISO-certificate – was the sliding door feature, which could open both in the middle, and in one side also when with 4 frames, and in both left and right side with two frames only; a feature I have been really happy with.

wDSC06303_slidedoor-installation(600w).jpg.15acc6634fee3ac7da46d57d1132c2cc.jpg

A Hoffen crew came from Bangkok and installed all doors and windows; needed to be co-ordinate with other work as floor tiles and paint (it's a benefit to have pre-painted before doors and windows are mounted).

wDSC06309_window-instal-spa(600w).jpg.87251a8d9499b0f5a00d99253b7c4931.jpg

A benefit with Hoffen was, that they could easily make this little special window.

wIMG_3765(600x400).jpg.4153380cd00f29af8f647ef1b4168308.jpg

uPVC 2-frame slide door, which can open from both ends, and windows from Hoffen, gutters from Windsor Vinyl.

wIMG_3787(600x400).jpg.727bec33353df7f811db96b366a6c897.jpg

The 4-frame slide door at 2nd floor has been opened in the middle, the ground floor 4-farme slides doors opened from in one side, but can also be opened in the middle. The small door at (each) side of the stair is aluminium, gates to the Jacuzzi pumps.

Next time I shall build something in Thailand, or is going to replace doors and windows, I will seriously look at aluminium; but – and I think that is very important – I will go for thick strong frames; which I had i the folding door. Some of the aluminium doors are poor, because the material is too thin (I think 2mm iso. 3mm or 4mm). A benefit with aluminium is that it's so widely used, that a local supplier can be found – often several, so one can have more than one quote – and later maintenance is not a battle with some big bosses up in Bangkok sending parts and a crew, which can take several month. Windsor Vinyl seem much better with after-sale service and maintenance, as it's Cement Thai and Home Mart. Aluminium seem so common, that another shop can help with maintenance or replacement.

:smile:

Why not buy teak frames and glass can get in north Phrae For  example

last for ever can get a shutter on the outside that you can close in the sun time keeping house cool    .

made to measure great look good

I am not sure about the choices.

I like many, many windows.

I like cranking wood windows with screw-in screens. 

My favorite choice is jalousie windows. Jalousie windows are common in LOS.

All jalousie windows with a long or steep roof overhang is my preference for rainy season and all year.

I like to keep windows and doors open always except when using air conditioning.

Proper ventilation gets odors out and stops them from accumulating.

All screens with a long overhang is an option in LOS.

I was in U-Tapao in Vietnam war days, lived in hootches, 1 floor, concrete floor, wood from the ground to half up, then complete screening, screen doors, with a long and steep roof overhang and requires many powerful fans. I was 18 years old, it was comfortable.

I also like outside screen doors.

Air blowing through the house is many directions in LOS is a BEAUTIFUL thing in hot season especially, and preferable in any season .

My concerns are, (1) a tight lock, (2) a good tight rubber seal at the back of the window that is sliding,

and (3) a very fine weave of screening on the screen window.

My reasons for all 3 are insect access.

Also for number 3, in dry season, there is a lot of sand and dirt blown in the air. It gets through my current screen.

jalousie_windows_xjrsx.jpg

Edited by themerg

7 hours ago, khunPer said:

Next time I shall build something in Thailand, or is going to replace doors and windows, I will seriously look at aluminium; but – and I think that is very important – I will go for thick strong frames; which I had i the folding door. Some of the aluminium doors are poor, because the material is too thin (I think 2mm iso. 3mm or 4mm). A benefit with aluminium is that it's so widely used, that a local supplier can be found – often several, so one can have more than one quote – and later maintenance is not a battle with some big bosses up in Bangkok sending parts and a crew, which can take several month.

Good luck with that. I have been looking for the past 3 years and have been completely unable to find anyone competent who can supply and fit thick aluminium frames for anything approaching a sensible price.

The only things that exist locally where I am are cheap thin frames, apart from one expat-run supplier who is stunningly expensive. Other suppliers I have contacted in Bangkok and elsewhere dont seem very interested, to the point of not replying. The only apparently decent one that was interested could not remove the old windows themselves and could not recommend anyone to do it either, and even they wanted four times the cost of thin local windows.

Maybe it's easier for new builds.

5 hours ago, mikecha said:

Why not buy teak frames and glass can get in north Phrae For  example

Who is going to come from Phrae to Chonburi to install this?

I cant even find people from the same town who can do it.

17 hours ago, badlad said:

which did you prefer alluminium or upvc

OP if you do a search on here for UPVC windows you will get a lot of hits and may give you some more info.

Recent thread here -

FYI We recently sold a home I built myself in Cyprus after 30 years

I took with me the best aluminium  doors and windows I could find in the UK.

These were made by Kawneer and epoxy coated.

They were as good after 30 years as the day they were fitted and the

green colour exactly the same.

The sealing was so good the villa could be left closed up for years  at a

time with little or no dust showing.

The sunlight the is extreme in the summer as the sky is so clear so

epoxy coated windows here woul

d stand the pace

6 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Good luck with that. I have been looking for the past 3 years and have been completely unable to find anyone competent who can supply and fit thick aluminium frames for anything approaching a sensible price.

The only things that exist locally where I am are cheap thin frames, apart from one expat-run supplier who is stunningly expensive. Other suppliers I have contacted in Bangkok and elsewhere dont seem very interested, to the point of not replying. The only apparently decent one that was interested could not remove the old windows themselves and could not recommend anyone to do it either, and even they wanted four times the cost of thin local windows.

Maybe it's easier for new builds.

I had no problem locally finding the good quality aluminium, and have it made and installed – as you probably read in my post, I did change one uPVC door to thick aluminium; but availability may be depending of where you are placed in Thailand. The price was 50% higher than for the uPVC door it replaced, but as the new alu-door was a folding door that might also increase the price. However, it's much cheaper to pay little more for the right product and quality from the beginning, than replace bad stuff with good stuff later...:whistling:

7 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Who is going to come from Phrae to Chonburi to install this?

I cant even find people from the same town who can do it.

well we have a company that built our house and now will do some thing in rayong for us if u realy intrested can ask them

Most Thai windows should not have the sun on them all day due to the usual overhang on roofs.

Many people will promote UVPC windows as they 'never require painting' but they do get blackened over time where they are touched... so does any silicon or epoxy around the edges. I have a higher degree of confidence wrt security on UVPC windows though, the standard sliding Thai style ones were not secure.

You need to look hard at the quality of the supplier. I used 2 different companies and I had issues with the quality of installation and of the product. My doors and windows dropped and became impossible to use. This was a combination of poor factory manufacturing, and the quality of the product. The outer frame fixtures were not strong enough, and the number of hinges seemed insufficient for the weight of the opening parts.

The insulation from noise/ heat and having fewer geckos indoors were a few of the benefits.

Edited by jacko45k

20 hours ago, mikecha said:

well we have a company that built our house and now will do some thing in rayong for us if u realy intrested can ask them

Thanks for the offer, but I dont think that wood windows would be acceptable in my building as they would surely have to be done in several small folding panels which would alter the external appearance. I did see something like that in another condo near me, and it was very nice, but in that one the windows werent visible from outside (unless from a drone) so no one would know or care.

Aluminium and uPVC are the only real options I have, and I find uPVC to be much too thick and clunky.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/19/2017 at 9:12 PM, HarrySeaman said:

PVC is a better insulator than aluminum, which is important where window frames sweating is a problem in cold weather when you heat a house/condo.  This could be important if you live in Northern Thailand, or even Central Thailand, if you heat in the winter.  It isn't important if you don't heat the house/condo in winter.

Aluminum will ultimately last longer than PVC, which slowly breaks down, but will ultimately look worse.  The screens will go first.

Are the screens inside?  Why the H E double L would you want screens inside, which means you have to open them in order to open the window?  You want the screens outside so you can open the window without letting bugs inside.  If you have sliding glass doors you also want screens for them.

Do you air condition a lot of the time?  If you do then you want double glazing to reduce the heat transfer through the windows and doors to reduce your AC costs.

As far as the screen question goes, it's not possible to have a screen on the outside unless it is a "slide to open" window. I am in the process of building a small school building and plan on using "tilt to open" windows or swing windows because with a sliding window you can only open 50% of the window. There are devices that are fitted through the inside screens that allow for opening of the windows without removing the screens, or the screens could be hinged to allow them to be opened to access the windows.