How Much Sin-sod Did You Pay?

buddhafly

how much sin-sod did you pay?  

299 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe>> Are you saying that they require that you speak dutch to get a continious Visa or do you infact talk about RS? Since to get it here you better be prepered to show more then your ability to speak Thai.

People from outside the EU have to undergo a test before getting allowed to stay longer than 3 months in The Netherlands. Part of that test is speaking Dutch. It also includes knowledge of the dutch history, royal family, political items etcetera. I wrote in some post about a friend of mine in Sukothai. She married a Dutchman and wants to live there until he retires and they can live in Thailand. She has to learn to speak Dutch, which is very difficult for asian people. She is teaching English but has trememdous problems with the dutch language.

And IIRC, a farang is allowed to lease 1 rai, not 2. or has this changed? Just pointing out so no-one get's confused, if it hasn't changed.

As far as I know you can lease the land needed for building the house on. For the rest you can rent land, like we have rented 8 rai of land with sugar on it, for 10 years, 500 baht per rai per year.

Thanks for the remarks on sin sot. As MS wrote earlier the main and only thing about marriage is that you and your wife love each other and want to stay together for life time. If you are not sure of that or think your wife could walk away with your money, you're obviously not ready to marry that woman and you need to do more homework by going into yourself to find out if you want that woman forever or just shot taam.

Joe

i respect your good intention joe and wish you the best.

life happens when we are making other plans. i think all people when they marry feel the same as you do about your wife but unfortunately many marrages fall over after a while whether they be thai or farang.

hope yours is a good one but at least you seem to have the right idea on the importance to respect thai custom.

many people still seem to struggle with this aspect. :o

Thanks Terry

Let me tell you what my philosophy in this matter is.

In my business life I have learned something very important: Spread risks! That is what I'm doing in a lot of matters in my life sofar and in my future life in LOS. E.g. our farm will not concentrate on cattle, rubber trees or whatever, we will have cattle, pigs, rubber trees, Papaya etcetera. Spreading the risk means able to cope with difficulties in one area of your activities.

So it is with money. I have made a well thought over plan to spread the risk of losing money, one way or the other. It is a 10 year period I cover and I invest my money in several ways. There are investments I could lose if my marriage would not turn out to be forever (which I heavily doubt as I've never met a woman who came near to my present wife as far as partnership, commitment, soulmates and real love is concerned), there are investments that would guarantuee me a new start if necessary.

So when everything is still fine after 10 years it will stay like that for sure, in the meantime our farm will give us a nice income and after 10 years we can relax and have a good life from the yield of the rubber trees (23 years long, I won't get that old :-) After those 23 years my wife can sell the rubber tree timber and have a couple of millions for her retirement. I think I did well.

Terry, I agree with you: if marriage break up I will not stay in the house that is in my name, I will leave. Just I will not leave with nothing.

Joe

Very well said, Joe.

Spreading investments. If I were to put money into Thailand, actually anywhere else, I will always be prepared to lose it.

One other point also is, I am willing to risk anything including my life for my wife. There will be nothing I would be regreted of if our relationship does in fact turn sour in the future. Even if my wife betrays me in any way, I will have no regrets. That being said, of course one has to be confident to a certain degree to do that. And I am quite sure and confident that no amount of money is going to buy her love away from me. My love for her certainly worths more than any amount of money and she knows that.

And to Terry, no worries, I never quite take offense to words.

I don't think the amount of time to take to know the woman or her culture is a very big factor in a relationship. The quality of the person himself is very important. Even if the woman is the worst liar on earth, one might have the ability to change her if one has the qualities.

I quite hate the fact that in general members here seem to think that it is mainly farangs being the victims, farangs being taken advantages of, most thai girls or even bar girls are only after money and trying to rip people off. But I think people here are only looking at things at the surface. People here fail to see what exactly things are all about. If the qualities of the farangs here looking for gfs and wives aren't that good, what do you guys think is left behind that the girls might want from those farangs? MONEY!
Imagine if there is a farangland where there are lots of good-looking guys but are very very poor, and there are plenty of girls from a very rich asian country coming to look for partners, what do you think might happen?

I think orginally "Sin-sod" is giving to a woman's parents for raising their child, or probably "milk money." Mostly Thai believes you should return favors if anybody gives you something, eg, foods, gifts. The return of sin-sod money is the parents gestured for asking large sum of sin-sod--you might say--their big-face having to do with that. Compare to the West as to "keep up with the Jones/Smiths", some of the village daughters married to some rich farangs and built big-big houses and don't forget big sin-sod, then they want their farang-in-law to do the same or top that. Unfortunately if you are poor-- sin-sod is so important, the way to return favor for the parents. Some of the forum members feel that why pay sin-sod if you get a "Rejacted" (women have been married and have kids), and some very happy to oblige. If you're happy what ever you do and it's not against your principle, then it's fine, Mostly agree? all we wanted, to be HAPPY.

Some of the forum members feel that why pay sin-sod if you get a "Rejacted" (women have been married and have kids),

I think you'll find that many are not rejected - the husband was killed in a motorsai accident and/or is uncle somchai living nextdoor.

it's strange how that was my thai mother in law's opinion and also my thai father in law's opinion.

different strokes eh???

What's strange is that you let the opinion of 2 people out of roughly 60 million shape your understanding of sinsod.

No arguement can stand against this FACT : in a Thai/Thai marriage where the bride is a virgin sinsod is paid nearly all the time. This is the norm in Thailand.

Of course, I'm sure you'll ask me to supply stats/surveys.....which don't exist of course.........but as you're TROLLING and not interested in facts..... :o

BTW.....happily with the same Issan girl for over a year.....I didn't pay sinsod.

If you would leave the woman you claim to love over a principle and a few bucks I pity you because you don't know what love is.

What if your wife's family insisted on sinsod and you didn't get married because of this? Did it ever occur to you that perhaps you are wrong with regards to sinsod; or doesn't your ego allow for that? You would lose your wife over something you may/may not be correct about?????? Especially something where a large percentage of people disagree with you....... :D

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter if sinsod is a traditional norm or a ripoff.........what matters is being with the one you care about.

Edited by LoveDaBlues

not me, the mother in law, but i guess you cant really call her a thai expert seeing as she is thai and has never left the place!

better to take the work of some old bald farang with a ''countryside'' wife :D

She probably realises her son- in- law is a tight wad, so is saying that to try and save face all round :D

Got to agree with you on this one, Jack. Exactly what was in my mind.

Agreed, it's obvious the family believe in Sinsod as earlier Leftcross quoted his girlfriend as saying no sinsod might be a problem with the family. I guess his girlfriend knew their position on it. :D

Can only assume that his Mother in law tried to save his face. Lefty didn't even notice being such a well trained farang husband, the type who only gets 'Thai culture' advice from the wife and the MIL :o.

it's strange how that was my thai mother in law's opinion and also my thai father in law's opinion.

different strokes eh???

What's strange is that you let the opinion of 2 people out of roughly 60 million shape your understanding of sinsod.

No arguement can stand against this FACT : in a Thai/Thai marriage where the bride is a virgin sinsod is paid nearly all the time. This is the norm in Thailand.

Of course, I'm sure you'll ask me to supply stats/surveys.....which don't exist of course.........but as you're TROLLING and not interested in facts..... :o

BTW.....happily with the same Issan girl for over a year.....I didn't pay sinsod.

If you would leave the woman you claim to love over a principle and a few bucks I pity you because you don't know what love is.

What if your wife's family insisted on sinsod and you didn't get married because of this? Did it ever occur to you that perhaps you are wrong with regards to sinsod; or doesn't your ego allow for that? You would lose your wife over something you may/may not be correct about?????? Especially something where a large percentage of people disagree with you....... :D

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter if sinsod is a traditional norm or a ripoff.........what matters is being with the one you care about.

Don't you mean...."what matters is BUYING the one you care about." :D

the problem is the stupid farang who met and marry a local within a space of a few months not bothering to learn about there future spouse and local customs.

i have no sympathy for these desperado's. :D

Oh really, I met my wife in Sydney, 4 weeks later I popped the question and 3 Months later we were married. I had never been to Thailand and didn't know anything about the country. Now 17 years later we are still together and still going strong. For a bloke that's never been married you sure have a lot of opinions on the subject.

On another point you suggested Australia had no culture as it "was only 200 years old", obviously you did not include the original custodians of the land OUR Aboriginals who were here 65,000 years ago. Have you ever done a bit of of bush walking and caving in Northern Australia? The evidence of this Aboriginal culture is well documented.

good on you mate and if you want to marry a women after knowing her for 4 weeks good on you but its still beyond me.

why the rush ? you scared she would run of with someone else.?

after all the marrages that end in divorce your trying to tell me that its a top idea to get married after 4 weeks. :D

for every one person that agree with you, there would be 50 who would not recommend it.

as far as me not being married, i could of been a few times but have chosen to do other things with my life, but dont worry mate as i might be like you and marry someone after 4 weeks. ( NOT )

as far as aboriginal culture goes, i was talking about white australia and if you want to get into it, lets talk about the fasinating aboriginal culture.

ok, what have we got?

drawing paintings in the caves in the north west. ( yes have seen them) big deal?

hunting and gathering. ( like all nomads everywhere)

going walk about. ?

living in the desert ?

sorry mate but that just about covers it. :o

put that up against european culture or asian culture and its very bloody average but if you think its top rate well its all yours mate.

im off to thailand so have fun looking in those caves . :D

i know it may surprise some of you to hear that what old man somsak told you was ''THE ONLY WAY'' inbetween sips of his lao kao may, in fact, just have been a ploy to steal your cash.

i realise that is an embarrassing prospect to admit, you know being hoodwinked by someone who left school aged seven.

my view is to those who may marry thai women who are not from the ''countryside''. my mother in law looked down on the sin sod because she said it was a ''banor'' thing.

as stated the father in law said he wanted me to use my cash to make sure his daughter and i had a good start in our married life.

its a situation i was happy with.

My wife said if you had actually went through some education you wouldn't have said something like that.

I was bred here in HK which is also a place that sin sod is the norm. So I don't need somsak to tell me what it is.

You are either trolling here or otherwise I really look down on you. You have absolutely no respect for people.

Stop the Troll Junk again. Ask you wife why poor people love money so much isn't aganist Buda. Do these poor proud people work or believe in Buda

No manners whatsoever. Be careful of falling down from that high horse, it is really going to hurt.

the problem is the stupid farang who met and marry a local within a space of a few months not bothering to learn about there future spouse and local customs.

Oh really, I met my wife in Sydney, 4 weeks later I popped the question and 3 Months later we were married. I had never been to Thailand and didn't know anything about the country. Now 17 years later we are still together and still going strong. For a bloke that's never been married you sure have a lot of opinions on the subject.

On another point you suggested Australia had no culture as it "was only 200 years old", obviously you did not include the original custodians of the land OUR Aboriginals who were here 65,000 years ago. Have you ever done a bit of of bush walking and caving in Northern Australia? The evidence of this Aboriginal culture is well documented.

good on you mate and if you want to marry a women after knowing her for 4 weeks good on you but its still beyond me.

after all the marrages that end in divorce your trying to tell me that its a top idea to get married after 4 weeks. :D

for every one person that agree with you, there would be 50 who would not recommend it.

as far as me not being married, i could of been a few times but have chosen to do other things with my life, but dont worry mate as i might be like you and marry someone after 4 weeks. ( NOT )

as far as aboriginal culture goes, i was talking about white australia and if you want to get into it, lets talk about the fasinating aboriginal culture.

ok, what have we got?

drawing paintings in the caves in the north west. ( yes have seen them) big deal?

going walk about. ?

living in the desert ?

put that up against european culture or asian culture and its very bloody average but if you think its top rate well its all yours mate.

Terry if you had read my post correctly you would have seen that I got married after 4 Months of meeting but that is not what is important what is important is that you are giving opinions and advice on how long someone should know someone before getting married. You might need a lifetime to make sure your girl is right for you, I knew after a Month. Everyone is different and you don't need to say things like

"the problem is the stupid farang who met and marry a local within a space of a few months not bothering to learn about there future spouse and local customs.

i have no sympathy for these desperado's. :bah:"

I have never been and never will be desperado just because Terry57 thinks that getting married after 4 Months of knowing someone is not long enough.

Then you go on to say about Aboriginal Culture about what they got and you said

going walk about. ?

living in the desert ?

sorry mate but that just about covers it. :D

So on one hand you go on about learning Thai culture which of course is right but you be little Aboriginal culture down to a few lines. If you think 65,000 years of Aboriginal Culture comes down to 4 lines then you need some education on how to respect people and this forum is not the time or place for it. Funny isn't it that some go on about respecting cultures then cr@p on the one in their own back yard.

after all the marrages that end in divorce your trying to tell me that its a top idea to get married after 4 weeks. :bah:

ok, what have we got?

going walk about. ?

living in the desert ?

Terry if you had read my post correctly you would have seen that I got married after 4 Months of meeting but that is not what is important what is important is that you are giving opinions and advice on how long someone should know someone before getting married. You might need a lifetime to make sure your girl is right for you, I knew after a Month. Everyone is different and you don't need to say things like

"the problem is the stupid farang who met and marry a local within a space of a few months not bothering to learn about there future spouse and local customs.

i have no sympathy for these desperado's. :bah:"

I have never been and never will be desperado just because Terry57 thinks that getting married after 4 Months of knowing someone is not long enough.

Then you go on to say about Aboriginal Culture about what they got and you said

going walk about. ?

living in the desert ?

sorry mate but that just about covers it. :D

So on one hand you go on about learning Thai culture which of course is right but you be little Aboriginal culture down to a few lines. If you think 65,000 years of Aboriginal Culture comes down to 4 lines then you need some education on how to respect people and this forum is not the time or place for it. Funny isn't it that some go on about respecting cultures then cr@p on the one in their own back yard.

sorry mate ,

but unless im going blind you told me that you asked the girl to marry you after 4 weeks and ill stick to my reasoning that this is insanity to the " AVERAGE " person.

marrage is suppost to be for ever and you are trying to tell me that you've got this lady sussed out after 4 weeks. ?

madness if you ask me, and i know your not, but im telling you what i think as this is an open forum.

your relationship has worked and good luck to you but i would not recommend the punters follow your example.

actually if you would like, we could start up a thread and ask that very question.

maybe something like : " do you think it is a recommended practise to ask a person to marry you after 4 weeks of having met."

id love to see that, and give it a crack if you think im being unfair.

as far as belittling the aboriginal culture that was not my intention and you have one again misread my post.

i'll say it again just for you.

the aboriginal culture compared to european culture and thai culture wallows far behind.

it is a fact that the aboriginal people were a desert roaming people with a very basic culture.

drawing on cave walls was performed by many ancient cultures through out the world so whats the big deal.?

its a fact and you as an australian should know it.

in conclusion,

what culture the aboriginal's did have is dead.

asian culture has florished and will always be strong as the people have respect for themselves and there culture.

i'll stay with the asian culture thanks very much. :D

do you think it is a recommended practise to ask a person to marry you after 4 weeks of having met

I did after about 3 months. Coming to a new country and doing it is a big risk. I'd recommend living in the country for at least 2 years before making a big decision like that. Many do, some are lucky, most I have known don't make it last for more than 2 years.

asian culture has florished and will always be strong as the people have respect for themselves and there culture.

I'm sure Aborigines had respect for themselves and their culture until most of them got wiped out by the European settlers.

do you think it is a recommended practise to ask a person to marry you after 4 weeks of having met

I did after about 3 months. Coming to a new country and doing it is a big risk. I'd recommend living in the country for at least 2 years before making a big decision like that. Many do, some are lucky, most I have known don't make it last for more than 2 years.

i rest my case. :o

I'm sure Aborigines had respect for themselves and their culture until most of them got wiped out by the European settlers.

that is a very true comment maddy,

much like the american indians.

but they certainly dont help themselves now and you must live in australia to know exactly what i mean by that comment. :o

Yep, much like the American Indians.

I think they been so battered by the European settlers they are still trying to recover aren't they. They were treated as animals still quite far into the 20th century weren't they? Hard to keep a culture going whilst fighting to survive. A culture up to your standards anyway Terry.

This whole idea is total garbage from start to finish in my opinion. I know many ladies who are asking for 1 million + , with a straigh face and they are not Bangkok society debutantes. Several others I am aware of have the nerve to ask for dowry when they have been married before and/or have children. To me, it is a tool for greedy families to collect money from generous Farangs. This "culture" went by the wayside 200 years ago in most of the western world.

You haven't the slightest idea about thai culture and tradition. Culture is NEVER garbage. If you can't respect it stay away, Thailand can do without you. We farangs are guests in this country, who are you to call thai tradition garbage?

I think that too many of us forget this...

Yep, much like the American Indians.

I think they been so battered by the European settlers they are still trying to recover aren't they. They were treated as animals still quite far into the 20th century weren't they? Hard to keep a culture going whilst fighting to survive. A culture up to your standards anyway Terry.

sorry maddy,

but you will have to make your self a bit more clear than that.

what do you mean by, a culture that is up to my standards ?

its just that i have spent many years experiencing the culture of asia.

considering im an a australian, i have a very good idea of what the culture of the australian aboriginal is or more to point, was.

the ones that i find the most stimulating and interesting is the culture of thailand and the buddhism religion, and the other would be the culture of india and bali which is hinduism.

its only my personal opinion on which culture i find suits me and this is my choise, always has been and always will be.

can you please tell me if you have first hand experience with what is now happenning in australia or are you offering a personal opinion.?

as i said before, you must live here to have a good understanding to the present situation.

thanks maddy.

This whole idea is total garbage from start to finish in my opinion. I know many ladies who are asking for 1 million + , with a straigh face and they are not Bangkok society debutantes. Several others I am aware of have the nerve to ask for dowry when they have been married before and/or have children. To me, it is a tool for greedy families to collect money from generous Farangs. This "culture" went by the wayside 200 years ago in most of the western world.

You haven't the slightest idea about thai culture and tradition. Culture is NEVER garbage. If you can't respect it stay away, Thailand can do without you. We farangs are guests in this country, who are you to call thai tradition garbage?

I think that too many of us forget this...

you know joe,

you've hit the nail on the head once again,

" WE FARANGS ARE GUESTS IN THIS COUNTRY"

always have been and always will be.

accept this fact or stay away.

easy as that.

cheers joe. :o

You was saying the Asian cultures and European cultures were better and deserved respect so I guess you must know what your own standards are.
the ones that i find the most stimulating and interesting is the culture of thailand and the buddhism religion, and the other would be the culture of india and bali which is hinduism.

Ok, so this is your standard, thats the answer for the previous question.

can you please tell me if you have first hand experience with what is now happenning in australia or are you offering a personal opinion.?
Personal opinion of course. Let us know what's happening though by all means, I'm all ears.
as i said before, you must live here to have a good understanding to the present situation.

I guess that must go for Thai culture as well then Terry.

Is what I said not true, please correct me. If you think the Aborigines culture and population were not severely effected by the European settlements. I'm not blaming ozzies for it, they were European settlements after all.

Please reserve this thread for discussions on the original topic - sin sod.

(And for those of you who have not yet done so, read this pinned topic first, well worth the time: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=85581 )

I am sure there are one or two other forums dedicated to discussing Australian aboriginal culture - as well as the PM system. :o

You was saying the Asian cultures and European cultures were better and deserved respect so I guess you must know what your own standards are.
Ok, so this is your standard, thats the answer for the previous question.
Personal opinion of course. Let us know what's happening though by all means, I'm all ears.
I guess that must go for Thai culture as well then Terry.

Is what I said not true, please correct me. If you think the Aborigines culture and population were not severely effected by the European settlements. I'm not blaming ozzies for it, they were European settlements after all.

well maddy,

you got # 1, and # 2, sorted out so need to go any further.

# 3, cant get into that as we would debate the issue for millinium and as i said before you must live here to appreciate the present situation.

you dont live here so you could never get a handle on it.

#4, ive been coming to thailand and travelling asia for 20 years so i feel im well qualified to make an opinion on the religion, and what is best for me.

# 5, ive already agreed with you that the aboriginals where devistated by european settlement.

what did you not understand about that?

# 6, you are well aware that the first white australians where english convicts governed by the upper class english establishment, so when it is all said and done, its the poms fault and not us australians.

cheers maddy, and im only debating with you so please dont spit the dummy on me. :o

Please reserve this thread for discussions on the original topic - sin sod.

(And for those of you who have not yet done so, read this pinned topic first, well worth the time: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=85581 )

I am sure there are one or two other forums dedicated to discussing Australian aboriginal culture - as well as the PM system. :o

sorry about this meadish but its nearly finished.

thanks for your patience

I wasn't spitting the dummy Terry though you do seem to have got a little upset about it. I know the English were mainly to blame, but I am above placing blame, just saying things as I see it. Haven't touched a nerve have I?

Apologies Meadish, true we are well off topic.

I wasn't spitting the dummy Terry though you do seem to have got a little upset about it. I know the English were mainly to blame, but I am above placing blame, just saying things as I see it. Haven't touched a nerve have I?

Apologies Meadish, true we are well off topic.

no nerves touched on my side maddy as it takes a lot more than that to start me firing. :D

i was only voicing my own personal opinion thats all, because some other punter decided to raise this subject.

cheers maddy. :o

thanks meadish, and back on bloody topic will you boys and what was it again. :D:D

I would like to known so I can respect Thai culture. What does Thai culture say about a rich Thai man from Bangkok paying Sin-sod for a girl who worked bar ( ie short time or long time ) or a freelancer? Would his parents be proud or even meet her parents. I doubt it. Please answer this.

Edited by HenryB

From what I have seen, most rich men from Bangkok would not consider marrying a bar girl and if they fell in love or became sexually attracted to one, they would be more likely to take her as a minor wife. Hence sin sod would not come into question, but they would be likely to provide economically for the woman and perhaps even her family to some extent.

As for those men who would want to make it fully official, who knows what their parents would think - they'd be individuals as well. It's all hypothetical anyway.

I dont think anyone would say the morals and habits of rich Bangkok people consist the be-all and end-all of Thai culture. There are many layers, and we as foreigners all have our own morals, cultural baggage etc. - whatever that consists of.

Also Henry, it would be great if you could avoid turning this into the usual "whose wife is a bargirl" discussion. Your question is a bit like a little boy using a stick to stir an anthouse, wanting to watch the ensuing commotion.