Jobs forbidden for foreigners - Labor ministry says law is out of date and there will be changes

snoop1130

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Echo Tango said:

I hope they will allow foreign pilots, like myself, to fly on domestic routes. Thais can fly for airlines in America, but Americans can't fly here. It's really unfair.

Welcome to Thailand my good man one law for them and another for us.

2 hours ago, Echo Tango said:

My Thai language skills are so-so. English is the official language of aviation according to international law.

I know this is true for international law, but I thought you wanted to fly domestic. 

So-so? Could you say in Thai, "we're taking a detour because of  thunderstorm is forecast"? 

17 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

It defies logic that a country will not allow a man who has a wife and children here a means to stay with them and also earn a living. 

There should at least be an easier path to residency, like they have for women married to Thais, for someone who has been married 5 years or more,

There is no easier path to permanent residence for women married to Thais but there is an easier path to citizenship.  It was made easier for males with Thai wives to apply for citizenship in 2008, athough this fell short of full parity because the foreign males still need to be working in Thailand but no longer need permanent residence first.   

The reason that foreign males married to Thais didn't get full parity with foreign women over citizenship was that it was considered a matter of national security.  With at least 4 million foreign migrant workers in the country today, they would probably feel more threatened by the idea than in 2008.  Hundreds of citizenship applications by foreign women, mainly from neighbouring countries, married to Thais were delayed for many years but, surprisingly were all approved by the military government.  

The flip side is that is relatively easy compared to other countries for a foreigner married to a stay in Thailand indefinitely on a marriage extension, simply by showing US$12,000 in a bank account. If you have qualifications that Thailand needs, you can easily find a job with work permit paying at least 40,000 a month on a marriage extension and apply for citizenship after three years.  The UK, for example, will not permit British citizens to bring no-EU spouses to live unless they can show income of GBP 28,000 a year plus 3,400 for each minor child, a rule that is mercilessly dividing families.

Edited by Dogmatix

1 minute ago, Dogmatix said:

There is no easier path to permanent residence for women married to Thais but there is an easier path to citizenship.  It was made easier for males with Thai wives to apply for citizenship in 2008, athough this fell short of full parity because the foreign males still need to be working in Thailand but no longer need permanent residence first.   

The reason that foreign males married to Thais didn't get full parity with foreign women over citizenship was that it was considered a matter of national security.  With at least 4 million foreign migrant workers in the country today, they would probably feel more threatened by the idea than in 2008.  Hundreds of citizenship applications by foreign women, mainly from neighbouring, married to Thais were delayed for many years but, surprisingly were all approved by the military government.  

The flip side is that is relatively easy compared to other countries for a foreigner married to a stay in Thailand indefinitely on a marriage extension, simply by showing US$12,000 in a bank account. If you have qualifications that Thailand needs, you can easily find a job with work permit paying at least 40,000 a month on a marriage extension and apply for citizenship after three years.  The UK, for example, will not permit British citizens to bring no-EU spouses to live unless they can show income of GBP 28,000 a year plus 3,400 for each minor child, a rule that is mercilessly dividing families.

Indeed, it is much easier to get citizenship in Thailand than other countries like the UK, USA, or Australia.  There are too many moaners here that expect special treatment for some reason. As you say, the retirees can get an easy yearly visa, husbands can get an easy yearly visa. 

31 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

I know this is true for international law, but I thought you wanted to fly domestic. 

So-so? Could you say in Thai, "we're taking a detour because of  thunderstorm is forecast"? 

In the past this rule was either not in place or not strictly enforced.  The new budget airlines originally had foreign pilots, mainly from other Asian countries, flying domestic Thai routes.  Many other countries also have foreign pilots, who cannot speak the local language flying domestic routes.  Since English is the language of air traffic control and aviation in general, it is not necessary for pilots to speak the local language. Announcements to passengers can be translated into the local language by other crew members.

Thai Airways started off life managed by SAS with a Scandinavian CEO and had many Scandinavian pilots and was much the better for it.   Since those days it has sunk into corruption, inefficiency and uncompetitiveness. 

6 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Indeed, it is much easier to get citizenship in Thailand than other countries like the UK, USA, or Australia.  There are too many moaners here that expect special treatment for some reason. As you say, the retirees can get an easy yearly visa, husbands can get an easy yearly visa. 

Citizenship for most of here will never, ever happen.  Close to impossible.  I got US citizenship for my wife in 3 years in the US.  Easy process and not expensive.

2 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Citizenship for most of here will never, ever happen.  Close to impossible.  I got US citizenship for my wife in 3 years in the US.  Easy process and not expensive.

Do you work? 

If so, it is easy, all you need is 3 year of tax receipts on over 40,000 income.

If you're retired, then it hardly surprising that can't get citizenship.

3 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

This has become even more true for foreign males married to Thais.  The 2008 amendments to the Nationality Act not only gives them exemption from the requirement to have permanent residence but also, wrongly in my opinion, exempts from the requirement to have knowledge of the Thai language.  Applicants with Thai wives no longer have to sing the National and Royal Anthems and many are now rocking up for their interviews at the Interior Ministry unable to speak a word of Thai, so everything has to be translated by their Thai wives.  The bureaucrats have no choice but to pass them because of the exemption but it must surely be through gritted teeth.

In contrast, since the ridiculous 'Life in the UK' test became a requirement for all applicants for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) in the UK, including for those with British spouses, many Thai and other foreign spouses will never get ILR, even if their British spouses can pass the GBP 28,000 income requirement.  Since, unlike in Thailand, they must get ILR before they can apply for British citizenship, their route to citizenship is effectively blocked and they may face deportation, if they can't juggle visas.   

4 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

This has become even more true for foreign males married to Thais.  The 2008 amendments to the Nationality Act not only gives them exemption from the requirement to have permanent residence but also, wrongly in my opinion, exempts from the requirement to have knowledge of the Thai language.  Applicants with Thai wives no longer have to sing the National and Royal Anthems and many are now rocking up for their interviews at the Interior Ministry unable to speak a word of Thai, so everything has to be translated by their Thai wives.  The bureaucrats have no choice but to pass them because of the exemption but it must surely be through gritted teeth.

In contrast, since the ridiculous 'Life in the UK' test became a requirement for all applicants for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) in the UK, including for those with British spouses, many Thai and other foreign spouses will never get ILR, even if their British spouses can pass the GBP 28,000 income requirement.  Since, unlike in Thailand, they must get ILR before they can apply for British citizenship, their route to citizenship is effectively blocked and they may face deportation, if they can't juggle visas.   

Your post is encouraging, maybe it is not as bad as I believed. The real evidence of how easy it is would be see what percentage of applicants succeed. And the reasons for those that did not.

3 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Do you work? 

If so, it is easy, all you need is 3 year of tax receipts on over 40,000 income.

If you're retired, then it hardly surprising that can't get citizenship.

You'll need to provide a credible link to prove this.  You need to become a permanent resident first.  Only a small number of these are approved each year.  Sometimes, it's a very small number.  Get your facts straight.

https://www.justlanded.com/english/Thailand/Thailand-Guide/Visas-Permits/Permanent-residence

Applying for permanent residence in Thailand is a confusing process and is only open to a few thousand people every year. If you decide to apply for permanent residency, be prepared for a bureaucratic roller-coaster ride!

Only 100 people per nationality can apply, and in some years you can only apply for a residency during three months of the year. Permanent residency is mandatory if you want to apply for Thai citizenship.

On 19/07/2017 at 9:00 PM, SoFarAndNear said:

Should give foreigners with thai wife and children more possibilities like no foreign/thai worker quota. So you can at least work legal for the own family business.

There is so much they are not going  to do for "foreigners with Thai wife and children". Been here only a handful of years and  came to the conclusion that we are seen as an insult to "Thai dignity" (LOL), and all the hassles we are submitted to are an incentive to leave, with the undignified wife and impure kids.

6 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

You still need to pass some sort of means test to be able to bring your foreign wife to the US.  I have come across several Americans with Thai wives who cannot bring them to live with them in the US because their incomes are not enough.  Some had applied repeatedly.  

Thailand has a very open policy in allowing in anyone with a Thai spouse indefinitely as long as they can show a relatively small bank balance but upgrading your status, if you are male, is only possible by working legally and earning an admittedly modest salary.  In contrast, most Western countries, particularly the UK, now make it extremely difficult to bring foreign spouses in and some have erected barriers to prevent them from easily obtaining residence and citizenship.  The US may still remain relatively easy in this respect, once you have got the spouse in.     

Many of the Brits, at least, who bitch and moan about their status as spouses of Thai citizens in Thailand are lucky to be able to stay in Thailand with their families so easily because they would not be able to bring their wives to the UK.  The UK income requirement is also affecting expats without decent pensions who had always planned to retire in the UK with their non-EU spouses but now find their retirement income will not qualify them to bring their spouses.  By 2019 the status of even EU spouses will be in doubt.       

15 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

You'll need to provide a credible link to prove this.  You need to become a permanent resident first.  Only a small number of these are approved each year.  Sometimes, it's a very small number.  Get your facts straight.

https://www.justlanded.com/english/Thailand/Thailand-Guide/Visas-Permits/Permanent-residence

You haven't a clue what you're talking about here.

12 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Your post is encouraging, maybe it is not as bad as I believed. The real evidence of how easy it is would be see what percentage of applicants succeed. And the reasons for those that did not.

Very few people apply for Thai citizenship and nearly all get it.  While it is up to the discretion of the minister in the Nationality Act, the reality is that reasons for rejection are limited almost exclusively to people who don't cross all the t's and dot i's in the legal requirements.  These are mainly people who should have been advised by the police, who do the initial screening, that they were not fully qualified, or people whose status changed during the application process, e.g. got divorced after applying on the basis of having a Thai spouse.     Unlike PR there is no quota for citizenship and applications can be filed any working day of the year.

15 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

As of April 2012, the 2006 applicants were still waiting for their final approval. The process can get delayed due to political instability.

There is no point in digging up a 5 year old post and ignoring all the subequent posts in the thread.  The previous political governments allowed a huge backlog to accumulate for PR (and citizenship) but the military government cleared both of these within months of seizing power, citing their "Good guys in, bad guys out policy".

By the way the quota of 100 PR per nationality per year is only ever reached by China regularly (because it includes Taiwan and HK) and very occasionally by India.  Western nationalities have never got close because very few farangs bother to apply.  

My Thai friend moved to BKK so his chinese wife could become Thai citizen...

Only cost him 400000 Baht and took less than a year :biggrin:

Up country he told me, it would cost 1.2 Mill and take 2-3 Years....

TIT

:wai:

P.s

I took the citizen ship test in Bangkok 2 years ago and passed.....

Edited by Muggi1968
FYI

[/quote fang kawn tuk khon, fontoc maa mak mak neung nah tee, Rao pai eek tang neung Reo Reo. , Listen everybody, it's going to piss down in a minute, we are quickly going another way..just aswell I'm a bricky and not a airline pilot.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

Very few people apply for Thai citizenship and nearly all get it.  While it is up to the discretion of the minister in the Nationality Act, the reality is that reasons for rejection are limited almost exclusively to people who don't cross all the t's and dot i's in the legal requirements.  These are mainly people who should have been advised by the police, who do the initial screening, that they were not fully qualified, or people whose status changed during the application process, e.g. got divorced after applying on the basis of having a Thai spouse.     Unlike PR there is no quota for citizenship and applications can be filed any working day of the year.

Getting PR status seems to be the first stumbling block one extended 3-year non-immigrant visa, not multiple visas for example

8 minutes ago, Dave67 said:

Getting PR status seems to be the first stumbling block one extended 3-year non-immigrant visa, not multiple visas for example

PR is not required before getting Citizenship....

1 hour ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Indeed, it is much easier to get citizenship in Thailand than other countries like the UK, USA, or Australia.  

I got Australian citizenship, and it was piece of cake. Getting and extension for marriage here, requires more paperwork.

1 minute ago, Muggi1968 said:

PR is not required before getting Citizenship....

Cheers . I'm not saying you are wrong as there is lots of disinformation on the internet about Visa/residency/Citizen

This is what I read

In all cases you will also have to fulfil the following conditions to apply for Thai citizenship:
  1. You must have lived in Thailand continuously, for at least five years before applying.
  2. Be a permanent resident.
  3. Be 18 years old or older and have reached legal majority in your country of origin.

Just now, Dave67 said:

Cheers . I'm not saying you are wrong as there is lots of disinformation on the internet about Visa/residency/Citizen

This is what I read

In all cases you will also have to fulfil the following conditions to apply for Thai citizenship:
  1. You must have lived in Thailand continuously, for at least five years before applying.
  2. Be a permanent resident.
  3. Be 18 years old or older and have reached legal majority in your country of origin.

That is correct

You have to Stay on long term visa (1 year) If you do a visa run with not teentry pemit the 5 year will be reset.

Thai wife and children make it easier.
If you have a Thai f\wife you can actually apply after 3 years.

I now this because I went through the test at RTP in Bangkok.
(But the law can have changed)

P.s.
I got 72 points but desided not to apply because the RTP required me to terminate my original citizenship.
(Maybe because I did not offer any tea money 5555)

58 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

There is no point in digging up a 5 year old post and ignoring all the subequent posts in the thread.  The previous political governments allowed a huge backlog to accumulate for PR (and citizenship) but the military government cleared both of these within months of seizing power, citing their "Good guys in, bad guys out policy".

By the way the quota of 100 PR per nationality per year is only ever reached by China regularly (because it includes Taiwan and HK) and very occasionally by India.  Western nationalities have never got close because very few farangs bother to apply.  

You did see the update on the post?  As of a few years ago, no applications have been processed since 2006. 

Again, please provide links where it's easy for foreigners to first, get PR, then second, obtain citizenship.