Pattaya's shame! Man electrocuted in the street right outside district chief's house

webfact

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's an interesting demo by a power company to illustrate what happens when dummies representing humans (and vice versa) don't follow advice about dealing with downed power lines:

8 hours ago, mahjongguy said:

If you feel strongly about that, I'd be happy to refer to it as the American language.

In this case, the word electrocute was coined by US newspapers to describe execution via the electric chair. Later it became used to include accidental death by electricity.

It is non-American speakers of English that have recently starting using it to include serious non-fatal injuries. While I accept the natural evolution of language, this usage seems like laziness to me. Why not say "nearly electrocuted" or "barely escaped electrocution"?

Anyway, back on topic, congrats to the paramedics who saved him.   

Sad Sad Sad

8 hours ago, mahjongguy said:

If you feel strongly about that, I'd be happy to refer to it as the American language.

In this case, the word electrocute was coined by US newspapers to describe execution via the electric chair. Later it became used to include accidental death by electricity.

It is non-American speakers of English that have recently starting using it to include serious non-fatal injuries. While I accept the natural evolution of language, this usage seems like laziness to me. Why not say "nearly electrocuted" or "barely escaped electrocution"?

Anyway, back on topic, congrats to the paramedics who saved him.   

I agree with this interpretation as one who was born in England but spent most of my life in Australian my understanding would be that if you are electrocuted you are killed.

Otherwise you receive an electric shock of whatever intensity

I am just glad he is not dead.  I wonder what the extent of his injuries are.  I have a friend who was servicing traffic lights who backed his cherry picker into a 3,200 volt line that grazed his shoulder and it almost ruined him but he survived.  It put a huge spider-web tattoo on his back and blew off the middle finger of his left hand which he was using to control the bucket.  When he had recovered and was able to speak again he related that it felt as if he had been hit by load of bricks.  He did eventually did go back to work but only after he had been off for weeks spent in recovery.  When I look at pictures of the streets in Bangkok with wires hanging all over the place in a rat's nest of disaster in wait, I get the chills.  If they can't be cleaned up they should at least be put high up and safely out of reach.

Edited by billmichael
One more thought...

15 minutes ago, speckio said:

noo it doesn't!!!  electrocuted means electrocuted

you just assumed he died!

And the solution is:

Verb

electrocute (third-person singular simple present electrocutes, present participle electrocuting, simple past and past participle electrocuted)

1. (transitive) To kill by electric shock.
    He was electrocuted for his crimes.
  2. (transitive, proscribed, informal) To inflict a severe electric shock (not necessarily fatal) upon.

Usage notes

• (Discuss(+) this sense) Formally, the words electrocute and electrocution always imply fatality. Informally, however, these terms are rather often used to refer to serious but nonfatal electric shocks. Standard usage is to reserve electrocute and electrocution for fatal electric shocks, and to use shock or electric shock for nonfatal ones.

Source: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/electrocute

Not electrifing but comprehensible.:whistling:

Edited by Richard Hall

A post discussing moderation has been removed.

More off topic posts have been removed, the discussion about electrocute  and electrocuted is at an end and further posts for the sake of making posts will be removed without notice

On the language thing... electrocuted was correct, for either interpretation... the poor guy needed CPR therefore is heart had stopped, thus clinically dead.

In the UK health and safety is ridiculous to the point where commin sense is redundant.  Walking round Thailand there's clearly not enough guidelines... but sometging to be said for taking responsibility for keeping yourself safe. Darwinism may win out in LOS. I only forsee devolution of the species in the West.