BMW R1200GS "Stop Sale" recall

BBJ

What started out as a worldwide service campaign for the water-cooled BMW R1200GS models is turning into a massive global recall for the German motorcycle manufacturer, as now the United States has joined the United Kingdom in issuing a recall on the popular ADV machine.

Accordingly, BMW Motorrad USA has issued a “stop sale” to BMW dealers, as documents for a recall with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration are being readied for release.

The recall sees BMW Motorrad dealers inspecting the fixed fork tube on R1200GS models produced between November 2013 and June 2017. If the inspected motorcycle has an excessively large gap between the fork pipe and the seal plug, then the fork cannot be repaired by the dealer, and must be replaced.

If no gap is present (or if the gap is of an acceptable distance), BMW dealers must still press in a sleeve on the fork, before returning the bike back to the owner. With over 150,000 motorcycles potentially affected worldwide, this recall will be a massive undertaking for BMW Motorrad.

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/recall/bmw-motorrad-usa-stop-sale-recall-bmw-r1200gs-adventure/

Love it!

BMW GS recall.

I read the article but their use of technical descriptions leaves something to be desired.

What the hell is a fork pipe and seal plug?

I wish these articles would use the correct tech jargon.

1 minute ago, thaiguzzi said:

Love it!

BMW GS recall.

I read the article but their use of technical descriptions leaves something to be desired.

What the hell is a fork pipe and seal plug?

I wish these articles would use the correct tech jargon.

I guess it's aimed at the riders who buy the GS just because it's a GS rather than riding it for adventure where some technical knowledge will help on those WW trips..  That'll be 99% then!

Indeed. I can count on one hand the ones i've seen over the years, that actually had mud and dirt on them, plus a few scratches. 3 of those were parked outside Ankor Wat.

99% of the GS's one sees on their travels look immaculate. Like just ridden out of a showroom/car wash.

I don't have a problem with the bikes per se, each to their own, what gets my goat is the marketing for these monstrosities and the "lifestyle" sold in the advertising. Its complete <deleted>.

There's a couple of BMW sponsored You Tube vids which are really good (Motor Circus?), which show a bunch of guys using old tatty 70's air cooled Beemers going into Africa, the Isle of Man, etc, and places that people think a 40 y/o bike should'nt go. Bit hipster but well shot.

You don't need the latest and greatest to get out and about.

OK no big deal wouldn't be bothered if l had a GS and well, at least BM are taking care of things, they've had recalls before over the years.

Bit of a weird set up for front suspension but strong and comfy. 

Another was the Yam GTS1000 with swing-arm front suspension l doubt if one was ever in Thailand but rare classic now. :thumbsup:

Had my weekly look at the advrider forum, one of the better m/c websites, lots of cool old stuff, trials section etc blah blah, plus the obvious adventure stuff.

The GS (G Spot) section has a 131 page on this very topic. Apparently, bad stuff was happening back in Nov 2016, inc an Aussie guy who's front end just "collapsed" at 120+kmph....

Then there's cast wheels losing rim true and hence losing air because they went over a 3" bump in the road...

Then there's.....