24 hours to report to immigration?

I live in Bangkok and my condo lease expired May 6 and I did not renew the lease. I am on over 50 year age extension of stay one year. I have been traveling to Europe and USA to work and living in Bangkok hotels when i return to Bangkok. In October I will lease another condo for a year and in November renew my extension of stay. 

Does anyone know if Bangkok expects this change of address form from me?  I am sure the hotels report my presence because I give them my USA passport (not Thai DL) when I check into the hotel. Many thanks.

Bangkok don't seem to require a TM28 or TM30. I recently moved condos and completed neither. I'll report back if there is any comeback when I do my next 90 day report and renew my Extension.

18 hours ago, elviajero said:

Not as the house-master. The house-master of a property is the person named in the Blue Tabien Baan as the head of household. Always a Thai unless a foreigner has a residents permit (PR). A foreigner can, under the law, submit a TM.30 in the capacity of "possessor". 

Some offices insist on a new TM.30 when processing an extension application in which case they often won't accept the TM.30 completed by the applicant/foreigner and would almost certainly insist on it being filed by the owner or at the very least with the owners ID/TB.

I filed in the capacity of tenant (3 times) due to the home owners (landlords) absence.

I have always maintained in previous posts on this subject that I also supplied copies of my landlords (the owner) TB and ID card.

Under section 4, the 'House Master' is defined as the chief possessor, whether in the capacity of owner, tenant, or any other capacity whatsoever, not who is named in the book, which has nothing to do with ownership.

2 hours ago, Leonhard said:

I just downloaded a TM30 form and it reads about temporary residence. What if you have a Yellow Book?tm30.doc

Any foreigner with temporary permission to stay should be included on the TM.30. 

The yellow book is irrelevant when it comes to immigration status. 

• 5 months later...
44 minutes ago, flightest said:

I live in Phuket just had a few days in Bangkok, can  this 24hr to report be done online,?

No you cannot to it online in Phuket.

Did you stay in hotel that reported you while in Bangkok? If not I would not worry about doing one.

58 minutes ago, flightest said:

I don't know if the hotel informed immigration, when I checked in I just showed my Thai driving license.

If all you showed was your drivers license they would not be able to report you with the info that is on it.-

• Like 1

The real problem with this requirement, like so many others here, is that its enforcement is wildly inconsistent from place to place.

Lived in BKK for years, come and gone on travel many times, and never been asked for one by BKK Immigration/Chaengwattana.  But at other locations, they're sticklers for it.

It's no wonder that people get confused by this, given that you're likely playing Russian roulette on whether your local Immigration office enforces this or not.

• Like 1

I had completely forgotten about this requirement, and now I am unsure how best to handle my current situation. I arrived in Thailand just before new year. Within the end of this month I need to go to the IO to extend my visa to get the full 3 months. I stay with my girlfriend here in Chiang Mai, in an condo she is renting. She has not done any reporting of any kind. The condo adress is the adress I entered on the arrival card.

What is the best way to handle this? Can we go together to the IO in Promenada Mall, and she first file a TM30, then right after we go to handle my extension? 

Or does she need to do it at the Airport IO? Or does she need to do it X number of days before my extension, for the paperwork to get register properly first?

Note, I'm not asking about how to avoid being fined. I want to focus on the best way to avoid problems with my visa, now and in the future.

Edited by jimi

Two choices.

1. Submit the TM.30 now and hope they don’t fine your gf for reporting late.
  2. Wait until you apply for the extension and hope they don’t fine your gf for not submitting the TM.30 when you arrived.

There is nothing you can do to guarantee not being fined if you apply for an extension.

You could do a ‘visa run’ instead and get a 30 day visa exempt entry. Your gf could then submit the TM.30 as soon as you return. You could then apply for a 30 day extension if required.

Edited by elviajero

5 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Two choices.

1. Submit the TM.30 now and hope they don’t fine your gf for reporting late.
  2. Wait until you apply for the extension and hope they don’t fine your gf for not submitting the TM.30 when you arrived.

There is nothing you can do to guarantee not being fined if you apply for an extension.

I think you missunderstood my question. I'm not looking for a way to avoid the fine. I want to and plan to file the TM30 (or, more correctly, make my girlfriend do it). I just want to know what options I have in how to do it. The main two questions being:

1. Can she file the TM30 in IO in Promenada?
  2. Can she file it just minutes/hours before I go get my extension, or does a certain number of days have to pass for the papers to clear?

5 minutes ago, elviajero said:

You could do a ‘visa run’ instead and get a 30 day visa exempt entry. Your gf could then submit the TM.30 as soon as you return. You could then apply for a 30 day extension if required.

Thanks, but a visa run is not really an option for me. 

1 hour ago, jimi said:

Note, I'm not asking about how to avoid being fined. I want to focus on the best way to avoid problems with my visa, now and in the future.

If you are fined for a late TM30 notification, it will not create any future problems. It is a minor transgression with no more effect on your immigration status than a fine for littering.

You could apply for an extension the same day you submit a TM30 (and are possibly fined).

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BritTim said:

If you are fined for a late TM30 notification, it will not create any future problems. It is a minor transgression with no more effect on your immigration status than a fine for littering.

Good to hear that. Although I was not actually worried about that part. The only reason I talked about wanting to avoid future problems was to try and make it clear that I was not interested in suggestions like "Don't worry, you probably will be fine. You can ignore the TM30."

2 minutes ago, BritTim said:

You could apply for an extension the same day you submit a TM30 (and are possibly fined).

Great! Thanks a lot. Then I guess we'll make a day out of it, my girlfriend and I. We don't usually like going to malls a lot, but I guess I can think of some stuff to buy. And haven't been to the Duke's for a while...

21 minutes ago, jimi said:

I think you missunderstood my question. I'm not looking for a way to avoid the fine. I want to and plan to file the TM30 (or, more correctly, make my girlfriend do it). I just want to know what options I have in how to do it. The main two questions being:

1. Can she file the TM30 in IO in Promenada?
  2. Can she file it just minutes/hours before I go get my extension, or does a certain number of days have to pass for the papers to clear?

Yes, at Promenada. The two options I listed still stand. You can do it now or do it at the same time you apply for the extension.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Yes, at Promenada. The two options I listed still stand. You can do it now or do it at the same time you apply for the extension.

Ok, then I misunderstood you, sorry. I read your second option as: "Apply for the extension and hope they don’t fine your gf for not submitting the TM.30 at all (and hope you get no problem with extension)."

I see now that I read your post to quickly.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 7/22/2017 at 4:46 PM, Chicken George said:

Can be done online 

yes, so you would think that it is easy enough for the landlord to do. However he is still to lazy to do that and although it is his duty, I am the one that gets fined. Note it is only in Thai online, which is why I can't do it myself. 

I have never submitted a TM30, but have only had to do one (1) 90-day notification in 3 years (I have otherwise always traveled outside of Thailand before the next 90-day notification was required, and have never submitted a TM 30 on return). When I did the single 90-day notification, and when I have applied for Extensions of Stay (each of the last 3 years), I have not been asked for a TM30 at Chang Wattana. I do take a copy of my residential lease and a copy of the most recent rental receipt (for the Extension). A friend from Phuket says he has always submitted a TM 30 each time he returns from abroad. My condo building management has submitted a TM30 for each foreign tenant (as far as I know), and asked for a copy of my passport to do that several years ago (and they have no idea when I have traveled since then). Has something changed? Thanks in advance.

@unbonjoe

This topic and many others make it clear, law in Thailand isn't the same law for all offices, but depending on the location and the intentions of the officers in the departments. Money making for others or for themselves is one target, if you depend on CM – Immigration office for example. I have got this feeling/ when reading about the problems with the CM – IMMI. Now it seems, as if the IMMIs have had an office meeting and a lot of other IMMIs learnt (from ….) how to generate money out of the falang pockets.

In a „normal“ state we would tell the Immi-officer we will see each other in front of a judge. And now my questions to you as an expert:

1.  Would it work in Thailand, if you tell the officer his handling is against the law and the judge should decide the case? (It would cause more work for the officers, they are shy of).

2.  Would a Thai judge be „trustworthy“ or is it the same lottery game depending on the location of the justice-offices i.e.: be it CM, Pattaya or Mae Hong Son ?

I never have read about court rulings concerning immigration. Thank you in advance.

Edited by puck2

31 minutes ago, puck2 said:

This topic and many others make it clear, law in Thailand isn't the same law for all offices, but depending on the location and the intentions of the officers in the departments. Money making for others or for themselves is one target, if you depend on CM – Immigration office for example. I have got this feeling/ when reading about the problems with the CM – IMMI. Now it seems, as if the IMMIs have had an office meeting and a lot of other IMMIs learnt (from ….) how to generate money out of the falang pockets.

The law is the same, but not always enforced.

If you comply with the law regardless, then you don't leave yourself open to fines.

• 4 weeks later...

Someone said the TM 30 crackdown has boomeranged with a vengeance. This seems to be correct. Now here's question. If I return to Thailand with my wife whose house I live in and she files a TM30 within 24 hours of us landing, and we continue to live in her house subsequently, do I need to submit another TM 30 when I later go to extend my retirement visa?

2 minutes ago, ianh68 said:

Someone said the TM 30 crackdown has boomeranged with a vengeance. This seems to be correct. Now here's question. If I return to Thailand with my wife whose house I live in and she files a TM30 within 24 hours of us landing, and we continue to live in her house subsequently, do I need to submit another TM 30 when I later go to extend my retirement visa?

What does, "TM 30 crackdown has boomeranged with a vengeance?"  Does it mean Immigration is sorry so many people are trying to report?  

30 minutes ago, ianh68 said:

«files a TM30 within 24 hours»

It is within 24 hours of arriving at the residence, not of landing.

«do I need to submit another TM 30 when I later go to extend my retirement visa?»

No, you don't.