Can i open a bank account inn Thailand As a Tourist visa ?

It is possible, although often difficult, its a matter of going from bank to bank, even branches of the same bank, until you find one that will do it.

12 minutes ago, jubaercn said:

thanks for your comment can you tell me what type of documents i have to provide ?

depends on the bank/branch, besides passport they may require Certificate of residency or proof of address. BKK bank often requires a letter of recommendation from home bank as per below

http://www.bangkokbank.com/download/Ref_Form_Eng.pdf

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

depends on the bank/branch, besides passport they may require Certificate of residency or proof of address. BKK bank often requires a letter of recommendation from home bank as per below

http://www.bangkokbank.com/download/Ref_Form_Eng.pdf

I just took in my passport and an existing BB account holder. The bank clerk prepared all the forms. I just signed forms where asked, deposited 500B and walked out 20 minutes later with my new bank book. Couldn't have been any easier.

I remember when I first hit Bangkok as a tourist back in 1977, the last thing I needed was a bank account. Temples, markets, a rain trip to Udon and Nong Khai, a weekend on Samui a bus trip to Phuket. Even after a dozen trips and more esoteric adventures, still didn't need to have any bank account.

7 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I remember when I first hit Bangkok as a tourist back in 1977, the last thing I needed was a bank account. Temples, markets, a rain trip to Udon and Nong Khai, a weekend on Samui a bus trip to Phuket. Even after a dozen trips and more esoteric adventures, still didn't need to have any bank account.

Yes but there was no 220 baht ATM fee...in fact it was not likely you could even find many ATMs

You need to walk from branch to branch, I recommend Kasikorn  

Just bring your passport and a residence certificate to prove your address. 

Also better to open an account in the area you are planning to live. Say for example you open an account in Bangkok but spend most of your time in Pattaya there may be a charge per cash withdrawal. This is what they told me when i opened my Kasikorn account a couple of years ago, worth checking if this still applies.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, tonray said:

Yes but there was no 220 baht ATM fee...in fact it was not likely you could even find many ATMs

True. ATM's hadn't been invented yet. But somehow we managed with Benjamins, travelers checks and money changers.

As I mentioned in another, similar thread, fronting up at a local bank with a wedge of US$ and wanting to change them while casually inquiring about account opening, the 'head office' regulations regarding visas and work permits can sometimes disappear.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Say for example you open an account in Bangkok but spend most of your time in Pattaya there may be a charge per cash withdrawal.

First 5 withdrawals are free every month , then they add 10 baht fee if you use an ATM card from Bangkok in Pattaya or in a different province.  

But I solved that problem when I opened up another account in Pattaya and use online banking and transfer money between the accounts before I withdraw.

On 7/24/2017 at 3:02 AM, balo said:

First 5 withdrawals are free every month , then they add 10 baht fee if you use an ATM card from Bangkok in Pattaya or in a different province.  

But I solved that problem when I opened up another account in Pattaya and use online banking and transfer money between the accounts before I withdraw.

Note when the bank book gets full, then it can only be replaced at the branch where the account was opened. That may be a major PITA for some where bank books are used for the likes of getting a line of credit, car note, immigration extension of stay. etc..

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

That may be a major PITA for some where bank books are used for the likes of getting a line of credit, car note, immigration extension of stay. etc..

I find that a bit odd , when you have online banking with the transaction history available . 

But this is Thailand. 

• 1 year later...
On 7/26/2017 at 8:35 AM, NanLaew said:

Note when the bank book gets full, then it can only be replaced at the branch where the account was opened. That may be a major PITA for some where bank books are used for the likes of getting a line of credit, car note, immigration extension of stay. etc..

That has not been my experience. I got a new book from a different branch from the branch I opened the account.