The Nation Newspaper

billaaa777

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read both newspapers, but subscribe only to the Post. I've been extremely disappointed in both. There is precious little news (other than events at the CM Flower show!). I used to spend a couple of hours reading the newspaper, now it takes about 1/2 hour.

Basically, they seem to print anything bad about Thaksin and anything good about the present gov't. Any critique of the current gov't is quite limited.

And no I don't have any links or quotes--it's an observation.

Gee, I hope this doesn't make me an American!

I read both newspapers, but subscribe only to the Post. I've been extremely disappointed in both. There is precious little news (other than events at the CM Flower show!). I used to spend a couple of hours reading the newspaper, now it takes about 1/2 hour.

Basically, they seem to print anything bad about Thaksin and anything good about the present gov't. Any critique of the current gov't is quite limited.

And no I don't have any links or quotes--it's an observation.

Gee, I hope this doesn't make me an American!

I hope it doesnt too

They were victims of the wars you started.
On this comment I will just say "You Lost Your Mind!"
Were the Over paid Over Sexed Americans Defending Australia in Australia ???

On this comment I will answer that American risked the Pacific Fleet in one of the most instrumental sea battles of World War II defending Australia. I don’t recall the name of the battle or the exact facts. Maybe someone with more knowledge can answer your question. I believe America sent 2 of it's 3 air craft carriers to the battle along with a multitude of other ships. Thank god we won, or Australia would have been invaded and it would have opened up the entire west coast of the US to invasion.

If somebody remembers the details, the name of the battle and location please post it.

[/quote name=Little Black Duck' date='2007-01-02 10:24:21' post='1058996]

They were victims of the wars you started...

We didn't start ALL of them, did we? :D

Were the Over paid Over Sexed Americans Defending Australia in Australia ???

Over paid? YES :D

Over Sexed? NEVER! :D

We were on R&R man................. :o

One more comment on Australia. It’s one of the few countries that we can always count on when the going gets tough Australia will be there through thick and thin.

When I was a child, I heard stories from adults who fought in WW II and the Korean War. They had nothing but very strong comments about Australia solders being brave, tough fighting men who were there to win.

Guest RealEstateBroker

I live half the time in Bangkok and the other half in the states. At my condo in Bangkok I subscribe to both the Post and the Nation and really enjoy following both papers take on everything, sort of a hobby and have enjoyed doing it for many many years. Now you can subscribe to both papers on the internet and actually see every page except for the want ad stuff. Take a look at www.pressdisplay.com Even if you don't subscribe you can for free

see and read the actual front page of both papers everyday.

Intermission is over, carry on

about The Nation...

All things in context of the times I guess.

Yes, they can be shrill and extremely one sided. Their proof reading leaves alot to be desired sometimes as well. And yes, 1 hour per day reading it is about 45mins too long for it per day, so lucky for me that work buys a copy for the coffee area.

But, thinking back to before the coup, they were one of the only media outlets providing any substantive voice against Thaksin. When everyone was a huge fan of dear leader, I remember them being cautious. I mean, back in 2002, I remember going past the Journalist Association of Thailand building in Soi Aree (Paholyothin Soi 7) and the place was covered in TRT posters, banners and flags. So The Nation guys were really sticking their necks out given that TRT were quite law suite happy for a time there.

As for the future, I personally like reading papers who can provide critical analysis, of whoever is in power as it keeps governments on their toes and The Nation sometimes tries to do it, but they wield a pretty blunt axe most of the time, so I don't expect things to improve too much.

I live half the time in Bangkok and the other half in the states. At my condo in Bangkok I subscribe to both the Post and the Nation and really enjoy following both papers take on everything, sort of a hobby and have enjoyed doing it for many many years. Now you can subscribe to both papers on the internet and actually see every page except for the want ad stuff. Take a look at www.pressdisplay.com Even if you don't subscribe you can for free

It's terribly inconsiderate for you to derail the topic by making sense. :o

These guys were just in the middle of explaining editorial integrity in contemporary Thailand by pointing out something about the battle of the Coral Sea in 1943.

Carry on. :D

Edited by cdnvic

Your funny man, that’s two good ones that have had me, laughing! Too, bad it takes an entire page of insults for you to think up a good one. Please in the future interject faster if you could!

Especially, since the provocateur of this series of insults refuses to state what country he is from. Must be from France or Switzerland.

It's terribly inconsiderate for you to derail the topic by making sense. :o

These guys were just in the middle of explaining editorial integrity in contemporary Thailand by pointing out something about the battle of the Coral Sea in 1943.

Carry on. :D

Herein lies the problem, how can you possibly have editorial integrity in Thailand ......... hence the diversion to the Coral Sea or should we say The Battle of the Gulf of Siam. :D

Herein lies the problem, how can you possibly have editorial integrity in Thailand ......... hence the diversion to the Coral Sea or should we say The Battle of the Gulf of Siam. :o

Anybody want to ask Rupert Murdoch about editorial integrity ?

None of these newspapers exist in a vacuum but there are degrees of bias.

LMFAO, an american complaining about the integraty of the nation newspaper, when you have that neo-conservative, red-neck television station called Fox news, now if you show me a more one-sided full of sh*te newspaper or tv news station than fox i will eat my shoes.

BB

Your funny man, that’s two good ones that have had me, laughing! Too, bad it takes an entire page of insults for you to think up a good one. Please in the future interject faster if you could!

Especially, since the provocateur of this series of insults refuses to state what country he is from. Must be from France or Switzerland.

any thing against France ?

LMFAO, an american complaining about the integraty of the nation newspaper, when you have that neo-conservative, red-neck television station called Fox news, now if you show me a more one-sided full of sh*te newspaper or tv news station than fox i will eat my shoes.

Could your response be possibly more dis-informed? Could somebody tell this fool know what country the owner of Fox is from? And let him know what other counties he has held citizenship in! I will give you one guess, he is not from America.

You dumb ass, the owner of Fox is from your own county. I could not resist.

And the hits keep on coming!!!

BB

I think an important difference between the Nation and Fox (other than the pretentions the Nation has to reach a more 'educated' audience) is that Fox selects news stories that reflect its editorial bias. Then, in separate shows, wreaks editorial havoc with those stories. The Nation offers as news stories what are in fact nothing more than opinion pieces. So a typical story may have a quote from A. Source and then a tirade by the writer about how we readers are to interpret that quote , it's ramifications and significance. That's not news. Thats editorializing masquerading as news.