Tourists Not Deterred By Travel Warnings

george

Hardy tourists undeterred by drama, warnings

BANGKOK: -- Several foreign governments issued travel warnings for their citizens yesterday after the bombs in Bangkok on New Year's Eve, which killed three and injured 37.

Australia, Great Britain, Canada, New Zealand and the United States all issued travel advisories to their citizens to stay at home and avoid moving about the city. They also warned that more attacks were possible in coming days.

New Zealand's foreign ministry issued a travel warning saying there was some risk to security and recommended tourists to exercise "a high degree of caution" in Bangkok following the bombings.

The ministry on its travel safety website advised New Zealanders in Bangkok to avoid unnecessary travel within the city and said terrorist attacks may also occur elsewhere in Thailand, including tourist areas.

Australia's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade also issued a travel advisory on its website, saying: "There is a possibility of further attacks in coming days. Australians are urged to avoid unnecessary travel in Bangkok."

Earlier, the United Kingdom's Foreign Office warned British travellers not to travel around Bangkok "unless absolutely necessary".

Other countries also warned their nationals via CNN broadcasts to exercise extra caution when travelling in Thailand.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs called a meeting yesterday to prepare an explanation to other countries about what happened.

They also distributed an English translation for embassies here of Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont's comments to the media, following his meeting at the Internal Security Operations Command headquarters on Sunday night.

Three Serbian, two British, and four Hungarian tourists were among the wounded.

Meanwhile, Tourism and Sports Minister Suvit Yodmani said he had instructed Tourism Authority of Thailand offices worldwide to explain the bombs and to formulate working plans to restore confidence in Thailand.

Suvit yesterday visited badly injured tourist Marina Kovassco, from Hungary, who is being treated at Bumrungrad Hospital.

Kovassco was recovering from surgery but did not have a leg amputated, as widely reported earlier. She was one of two foreigners still in hospital.

Agence France-Presse reported that, while some tourists admitted to being stunned by the bombings, others said they would not let them ruin their holidays.

Emi Supati, 37, from Singapore, in Bangkok to see in the New Year with his wife, said he was stunned when he heard about the Central World Plaza bomb. They had walked by the site of the blast half an hour before it happened, he said.

"We wanted to enjoy the party, but it hasn't happened that way."

Karmen Skender, a tourist from Slovenia, backed the government's decision to cancel the New Year party.

"For those who were victims and their families, they will definitely think it's appropriate," she said.

--The Nation 2007-01-02

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For years people have been vacationing in near war zones thinking that they are immune to what's going on outside the tourist areas. I doubt that'll change for the most part, although I can see this having some short-term effect on new bookings possibly.

Hardy tourists undeterred by drama, warnings

BANGKOK: -- Several foreign governments issued travel warnings for their citizens yesterday after the bombs in Bangkok on New Year's Eve, which killed three and injured 37.

Australia, Great Britain, Canada, New Zealand and the United States all issued travel advisories to their citizens to stay at home and avoid moving about the city. They also warned that more attacks were possible in coming days.

--The Nation 2007-01-02

correction, evidently the US has now issued a travel alert that I could not find an hour ago.

Edited by pjallittle

Given the fluidity of the current situation, the Department of State advises all American Citizens residing in or traveling to Bangkok to continue to monitor events closely, to remain indoors when possible, to avoid any large public gatherings, and to exercise discretion when moving about Bangkok.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_thailand.html

i work in a hotel and as of now i have not had one cancellation. fingers crossed that it stays that way! this year is a bumper high season for phuket.

Hope that you have a bumper year - Phuket deserves it !! I worked there for 9 years, and 5 of those we had disasters or incidents which kept tourists away and hotel staff on half pay !! Good luck and lets hope 2007 will be without incident for you in Phuket - still love the island mind you !!! Ex General Manager, a Phuket Resort.

A sad year for our country. I am disappointed that political pressure in Thailand should come to this, and I hope the various departments concerned will find these b*stards and deal with them.

Thailand needs tourism, and I still believe this is one of the best places in the world to live.

Its all very sad.

I assume the opponents just want to create mayhem and instability and undermine the Surayed Government. I can't see this helping the pro-Thaksin cause, as it will just make the authorities more wary of him and his supporters.

I hope their efforts totally fail and this govt is given a chance to complete its work and restore democracy.

Meanwhile, I shall be telling everyone I know not to give up on Thailand, which I love.

Oops, where's that gremlin with my message?

Sure, lots of great no-bomb places to go in the world, but none have the same flavour as Thailand. Went to Canada and the culture is on par with the manicured neighbourhoods in Edward Scissorhands, without the benefit of Avon ladies cuddling up to everyone. Lots of crime, gestapo Skytrain police and "NO" signs everywhere. Gimme a curry at a stall where I can watch real humanity on its meanderings, anyday.

Its all very sad.

I assume the opponents just want to create mayhem and instability and undermine the Surayed Government. I can't see this helping the pro-Thaksin cause, as it will just make the authorities more wary of him and his supporters.

I hope their efforts totally fail and this govt is given a chance to complete its work and restore democracy.

Meanwhile, I shall be telling everyone I know not to give up on Thailand, which I love.

I plan to continue my planned visit in Feb/March, just might tell my mother I am still in Hong Kong.... :o but the news here in Canada and CNN do make it sound bad and I can see the casual tourist easily put off. Bombings and a coup sound very bad, esp in this age of terrorism fear. Hopefully there will be no more and short memories will mean no downturn in tourism, but people are more afraid of small bombings that they think could reoccur than a major tsumami that they assume will not. Just human nature...

I took the authorities advice and stayed home on New Year's Eve. Of course, I wouldn't have gone any place anyway. I've always found the city quite dangerous over New Years--too many drunk drivers etc. So that night, I either stay home or I plan to be home by 7:00 p.m. Works well for me.

All the self reassurances aside... there are plenty of places to go in the world where there aren't bombs exploding.

:D

Yes I agree, Heng but there are none like the excitement and fun places in Thailand with all its colorful history.

Fellow Gaginang....Ah Hong in BKK. :o

A sad year for our country. I am disappointed that political pressure in Thailand should come to this, and I hope the various departments concerned will find these b*stards and deal with them.

Thailand needs tourism, and I still believe this is one of the best places in the world to live.

It is important the government catch and punish these people who have no regard for the lives of others. It is also time for the good people of Thailand to assist their government and police officers to bring some peace to all who visit and live in this beautiful country. From my personal experience in Thailand there are many more good, kind, sweet and hard working people than those full of hate. Your livlelihoods, families and neighbors are at stake. I live in the US and am moving to your country to join other family and friends, it doesn't matter our country of origen we all have the right to know peace and a feeling of safety in our homes, neighborhoods, villages, cities and countries. The beautiful Thai children deserve to feel safe and secure. We can't stop the waves, earthquakes or hurricanes as this is nature and life, but we are all responsible to do what ever we can to stop the heartless among us. These people are a disease hiding behind handy causes. Really good people do not have to hide.

I just can't understand the mindset of people who are prepared to declare war on the innocent citizens of their own country to prove some point or pursue some political cause. Its certainly not confined to Thailand, of course, but there are plenty of other dangerous places in the world.

Actually, the only place I've ever really felt in danger on a public street was in Sydney a few years back, when I was menaced by some lads who demanded money. I've never felt unsafe walking Thailand's streets, even in Bangkok. Maybe I'm just oblivious...

Just read that the Danish travelagencies have had no cancellations and are sending 30.000 danes to Thailand during jan feb mar. During christmas and new year there were 70.000 danes in Thailand.

It could easily change if more bombs - especially in touristic areas. As I know Tourism in Bali has not recovered after their bombs. I sincerely hope we don't get a "Bali situation" :o

All the self reassurances aside... there are plenty of places to go in the world where there aren't bombs exploding.

:o

Where can you better the feeling of appreciation and happiness that Thai Culture and people give you?

Name me one place..

" "

Ok....

Its only a matter of time before your "places" incur the wrath of psychotic low lifes.

The world has changed forever..

Please don't look at Thailand in that way.

Happy new year...

Indeed a bad year for foreigners in Thailand: visa rules increasing, grey part of the law on owning property becoming darker with company check and higher probability of loosing everything, higher tax/reserves on foreign investment and import ...now terrorism...

that could become soon a huge problem for Thai people: real estate crash, economy and stock exchange down, more terrorism, ... and both tourist and foreign residents heading for a plan B outside in nearby countries such as Malaysia....

hope for new year that they will ease visa rules, allow foreigner to own property to some extent in a clear and defined way and offer a safer political environment... well it's a lot I know!

peace to all

Edited by fleming

It is important the government catch and punish these people who have no regard for the lives of others. It is also time for the good people of Thailand to assist their government and police officers to bring some peace to all who visit and live in this beautiful country. From my personal experience in Thailand there are many more good, kind, sweet and hard working people than those full of hate. Your livlelihoods, families and neighbors are at stake. I live in the US and am moving to your country to join other family and friends, it doesn't matter our country of origen we all have the right to know peace and a feeling of safety in our homes, neighborhoods, villages, cities and countries. The beautiful Thai children deserve to feel safe and secure. We can't stop the waves, earthquakes or hurricanes as this is nature and life, but we are all responsible to do what ever we can to stop the heartless among us. These people are a disease hiding behind handy causes. Really good people do not have to hide.

Must agree - the government needs to find those responsible and make an example of them.

Justice not only needs to be done, it needs to be seen to be done, irrespective of who may be behind it.

If this sort of thing continues, with all the other instability, the controls on foreign investment, new proposed changes to company law, then foreigners, tourists and investors alike, will go elsewhere.

There are many projects already being cancelled due to the 30% capital inflow tax, I am sure there will be more.

Thailand needs political stability and security - urgently, or the economy, and international reputation, will suffer horrendously.

Time for the governement and the BIB to get to work, stop talking about 'undercurrents' and start talking about handcuffs!

stop talking about 'undercurrents' and start talking about handcuffs!

well , ok then ........

Handcuffs are restraint devices designed to secure an individual's wrists close together. They comprise two halves, linked together by a chain or hinge. Each half has a rotating part which engages with a ratchet which is closed around a person's wrist. Without the key, the person cannot move their wrists more than a few inches apart, making many tasks difficult or impossible. This is usually done to prevent suspected criminals from escaping police custody.

Styles

Hiatts Speedcuffs in holster, as used by UK policeThere are two distinct subtypes of contemporary metal handcuffs: one in which the cuffs are held together by a short chain, and another, of more recent origin, which uses a hinge for this purpose. Since the hinged handcuffs are somewhat smaller when fully extended they are seen as being more easily utilized by a police officer who has relatively small hands, and are also regarded by some observers as more secure because the wrists end up being held closer together than with the chain subtype, and are also bound more rigidly. A third type, the rigid handcuff, has a metal block or bar between the cuffs. Whilst bulkier to carry it permits several variations in cuffing and, with one hand cuffed, can be used in control and restraint techniques. Various accessories are available to improve the security or increase the rigidity of handcuffs, including boxes that fit over the chain or hinge and can themselves be locked with a padlock.

Handcuffs may be manufactured from various metals, including carbon steel, stainless steel and aluminium, or from synthetic polymers.

Sometimes two pairs of handcuffs are needed to restrain a person with an exceptionally large waistline because the hands cannot be brought close enough together; in this case, one cuff on one pair of handcuffs is handcuffed to one of the cuffs on the other pair, and then the remaining open handcuff on each pair is applied to the person's wrists. Oversized handcuffs are available from a number of manufacturers, as are juvenile-sized restraints, though none of the latter in current production are approved for use by the United States National Institute of Justice.........................................................................

................................................................................

Its all very sad.

you are right Bruce, it is only to the advantage of the Junta. They have deployed a secret army division to spy on people, they have not kept promise by lifting martial law, they were not able to prove any corruption, they could not seize Thaksin's assets as he did not cheated as claimed. But in the process they have pissed off their rich supporters, with the dumb action of imposing monetary controls that made them lose 850 billion in one day, they have pissed off military top brasses that they removed from their posts, they have pissed of the police for the same reason. If there is a little bit of turmoil they can confiscate money (they simply claim a terror conspiracy) they can keep the martial law in place, they can put extra muscle on the constitution draft writers (I see no difference with the Burmsese situation here) and so on. And it might encourage the people fromABAC to declare people , person of they year by simply surveying just 17 provinces. Brace yourself for far more turmoil. The poor would be crazy to take it lying down, abandoning the 30 baht scheme and still banning them fom being chosen in office because they do not have an University degree, should bring them on the street. Bangkokians should learn that each and every junta is always more desasterous than the wost democratically elected government.

I took the authorities advice and stayed home on New Year's Eve. Of course, I wouldn't have gone any place anyway. I've always found the city quite dangerous over New Years--too many drunk drivers etc. So that night, I either stay home or I plan to be home by 7:00 p.m. Works well for me.

I was at a movie, a comedy at Paragon with Thai friends when the first news of a bomb reached us by mobile phone. A veteran of a few bombings from Vietnam to The N.Y. Trade Center, I was talked into going home and not continue the festive night. Respecting the fears of my friends, I went home.

It is a mistake to let terrorists put fear into the entire population of Bangkok, and give CNN a field day reporting the tragedy. Ten bad people can put a hurting on 13 million, but not for long. One must bounce back not letting fear strangle the New Year's celebration, or, hopes of a better 2007.

post-38016-1167725867_thumb.jpg

Where can you better the feeling of appreciation and happiness that Thai Culture and people give you?

Name me one place..

" "

This is very subjective and depends what you are looking for but after having lived in Thailand for more than 4+ years and not just coming on vacation I have grown tired of the fuss that is made over the fact that we are 'falang' - in all its different aspects.

I have enjoyed myself actually more in:

* Laos

* Cambodia

* Vietnam

Cheers,

Guido

Thanks emperor tud,

coming to think of it I would like to add Singapore to that list as well. I do understand however, that it just does not compare for the average Thailand enthusiast but once you get past that shopping/Orchard Road image and actually are lucky enough to make friends, it will show its qualities.

The sooner democratic elections are held so the new government can claim a legitimacy from the voters the better. A year is too long. The longer the delay the harder it will be for the Surayed Govt. to maintain its support.

And I couldn't personally see why they suspended the constitution, as I thought it was pretty good overall. I'm yet to hear a single constructive suggestion for how they're proposing to make it better, so far its just vague talk.

The problem wasn't the constitution, it was the way it was subverted by certain people.

Add the coup to the mess over incoming investment controls, which have spooked investors into looking elsewhere, at a time when new productive investment was already going elsewhere (ie China, India and Vietnam), the continuing insurrection in the south, visa and property rules driving away friendly foreigners just when they're needed here, and now add the Bangkok bombings and many people are getting very jumpy indeed, I should think.