Tractor size

Hi everybody,

We are developping an eco resort in the north of the country, on 30 rai of a nice riverside old longan plantation, growing limes, bananas, papayas, chili, lemongrass, galangal and other herbs and of course longan and mangoes.

We need to acquire a tractor in order to occasionnaly plow fields, control the weeds on the paths and in the groves, dig post holes, carry around the tanks and supply pressure to the spraying hoses and occasionnaly push some land about.

I am very hesitant on the actual model and size of tractor we need to buy. We want to buy a secondhand tractor and we do not want to encounter problems with spare parts supply in the future as we are in quite a remote area and the nearest city is 75km away. I have been considering a tractor, with PTO in the 24 HP range but I would love to hear what opinions are out there. Many thanks in advance

Small horsepower tractors are fine if you have the time as the work takes a little longer.

Even though town is far away just make sure whatever brand you end up with,parts are available there.

I've had a grey market Kubota L2201 GDT for 12 years and it's been a good tractor over that time.

Great PTO set up with 4 speeds.Only two things to look out for.

1 make sure the bearings and seals in the FWA wheels are in good condition(not expensive to fix) but will affect the steering. 

2 keep the radiator clean at all times as this model doesn't come with any engine temperature gauge.(get yourself a cheap IR temp gun)to check manually.

Back then i paid 150,000 baht for it.

Genuine Kubota have a range called KubotaMax which are 2nd hand but fall into an hours and age group which give you a warranty.

Prices on them are coming down over time. 

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

What Joe says. Just go to your local Kubota dealer and have a look. They sometimes even have used one out the back. If not BahtSold and other places.

Around where I live most of the dealers have scores of used Kubota, Iseki and Ford tractors of all sizes.  I have an old 15Hp Kubota and and old Ford 6610 and have never had any problem finding parts locally,  Parts for my three JD corn combines, both new and used, are another story and usually have to import them from the US although I do get bearings and chains from China.

Tractors are always a compromise. I have  31 HP Yanmar. It has more power than is usable. Trying to use a four disc plow makes all four wheels spin and it goes no where. A bigger tractor would do a better job but they are too heavy for a lot of things. My wife uses the rotary tiller for most things and the tiller is wide enough to cover the wheel tracks. Soil compaction from a lighter tractor is a lot less than from a heavy machine. You can use a mower without leaving deep tracks.

2 hours ago, JungleBiker said:

Perhaps try filling the tyres with water and also reduce the tyre pressure for more traction?  

Where we live, there are many 6600 Fords and even bigger ones who hire out. I found it much easier to hire one of them for heavy duty plowing. Yes, I could add wheel weights and even put fluid in the tires but the hassle is just not worth it. I do have a set of steel paddy wheels that bolt on to the regular wheels. They are great for in the mud and provide some flotation. With them on, I can run the rotary tiller in water filled rice paddies. You can't do that with a big heavy tractor.

I did swap the four plow disc for a three blade and the little tractor handles it well. I still prefer to hire a big Ford for big jobs.There is a lot of competition for those big tractors and I really don't understand how they make any money with the very cheap prices they charge.