Girlfriend denied a US tourist visa last week

I somehow posted this in the wrong Forum but --

Aside from the general conditions that apply to all, the US Bangkok Consular folks were maybe not happy to see that the female Thai applicant is a family member of a substantial import-export business in Thailand for which she could readily if not desirably work while in the USA. Maybe export-import?

On 26/07/2017 at 10:55 AM, Matt K said:

I've been fighting this myself. My wife was denied when we were living in the UAE. We owned a house there, here in Thailand had an apartment, made good money, her name is on everything...denied. Her family also lived in the region, owning their own home and business. They seem to have a big problem with asians at the US embassy. Keep in mind that she's also a retired US military dependent. They never looked at our paperwork. Not once. Now we have to do a green card even though we didn't want to emigrate originally...

seems quite harsh ... has US immigration become so harsh since Trump or has it always been so restrictive and hassling?

All the best on those formalities.

22 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

seems quite harsh ... has US immigration become so harsh since Trump or has it always been so restrictive and hassling?

Nothing to do with Trump.  My fiance got the same treatment 18 months ago.  The only thing that affected my fiances K1 application (after she was denied tourist visa 2x) was that many many people were applying before trump got elected. This caused an increased wait time in the que. They anticipated that they would not be able to get in after.

On 7/26/2017 at 0:20 AM, Gumballl said:

Perhaps the wrong answer to give.  Tourists go to the US to visit sites, take in the attractions, learn of the (ahem) culture, etc.

The Consulate Official may have thought that perhaps there were other plans.  Marriage perhaps?

Remember, the visa is for her, not for you... and it has nothing to do with you, your relationship, etc.  That's is why you should not have even come to the consulate.  Your GF does seem to have strong reasons to return to Thailand after a stay in the US, but for her to mention that she is only going there for your benefit and to meet your parents should not have even been brought up.

Anyhow, my 2 satang.

Yeah.  Probably not the best answer, even though visiting potential family should not dismiss all the other reasons for coming.  Damn it. If the person has a roundtrip ticket, shows some money, let them come and visit.  Amazing how the US scrutinizes those that want to enter using proper documentation, electronic records, etc.  And those people could easily be tracked down, and deported.  They worry about all that when every day hundreds come across the southern border illegally.  Just crazy

• Like 1

20 hours ago, observer90210 said:

It's been difficult forever.  I tried to get a girlfriend to come to the USA in 1998. She owned a condo in BKK, a house in Udon, 2-3 polts of land in Udon, a shop house in BKK, 2 kids, car, business etc denied.  She was told to get a Fiancee visa. It's hit or miss.  I did have a friend that worked at the US embassy in 2000 and he said they look at ever case that the person is going to stay in the USA and the documents and the person need to convince them they are going to return. So right out of the gate it is denied and your documents need to change their mind. Crazy system! 

• Like 2

The garbage immigration officer on duty that day already knew that s/he was going to deny her entry. That's why they didn't let you in. You are American, you would ask on what ground you deny her entry? Then what would they say. Wouldn't really know what to say. 

People like that are so pathetic. But it's alright. They are the easiest to put on salary and pay off. 

6 hours ago, A1Str8 said:

The garbage immigration officer on duty that day already knew that s/he was going to deny her entry. That's why they didn't let you in. You are American, you would ask on what ground you deny her entry? Then what would they say. Wouldn't really know what to say. 

People like that are so pathetic. But it's alright. They are the easiest to put on salary and pay off. 

My American buddy stood by his rights and insisted that he be allowed in to be party to the interview. When they questioned some bureaucratic minor technicality, he got loud and they quickly acquiesced and his wife got the visa.

Mind you, he's a big bugger, ex- special forces and eats chimichangas with Chuck Norris after they work out together.

• Haha 2

I know of at least 10 guys who's gf have tried for US tourist visas over the past year all DENIED.  They did not mention anything about their boyfriends.

Several have good jobs, cars, condos and have traveled before.

I would sure like to see some stats on this would not be surprised if it was 1% or maybe even 0 who are approved.

Edited by bkk6060

On 8/8/2017 at 9:13 AM, NanLaew said:

My American buddy stood by his rights and insisted that he be allowed in to be party to the interview. When they questioned some bureaucratic minor technicality, he got loud and they quickly acquiesced and his wife got the visa.

Mind you, he's a big bugger, ex- special forces and eats chimichangas with Chuck Norris after they work out together.

I will eat chimichangas. I want to get her the visa.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On the Thai girl tourist Visa there is not much of an interview.  If she tries to ask a question, they ignore her or say apply again in one year.  I guess they are just too busy.

Nice to see the US tax dollars at work treating people like S.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

We did get my wifes visa approved this year, it does appear the DS 160 is the only thing they look at this is the computer form you have to fill out. Two years ago before we had married she was turned down. 

To the original OP who started this thread no they give no reason nor are they required too. One older lady my wife talked too while she was there was approved because she was a legit tourist. When asked why she wanted to go explained, been to europe and England, Japan and Korea but never to US and want to see it, bang approved as well as her daughter who was going with her. My wife was interviewed by an American woman who spoke Thai.