Transfer numberplate between bikes

eisfeld

I've got an already registered bike and a brand new one which is not registered yet (red plate). Is it somehow possible to transfer the numberplate of the old one to the new one? Initial research seems to indicate that it's not possible but maybe I'm missing something.

Has someone tried this before and any tips?

Yes I did it last year.

Took the plate off the SR and put it on the zed and put the zed number plateon the SR. 

It's 1500 baht takes one day and all you have to do is go to the chonburi transport office in chonburi which is past Central shopping centre chonburi. All you need is ID and copies of the green books which they do for you upstairs in the main office. 

Hope this helps. 

12 minutes ago, NormanW said:

Yes I did it last year.

Took the plate off the SR and put it on the zed and put the zed number plateon the SR. 

It's 1500 baht takes one day and all you have to do is go to the chonburi transport office in chonburi which is past Central shopping centre chonburi. All you need is ID and copies of the green books which they do for you upstairs in the main office. 

Hope this helps. 

Thank you very much for that first hand report. I also found out that as long as both vehicles are in your name, you can swap license plates (both need to already have one, can't transfer to an unregistered one). Interesting fact that this is possible.

6 hours ago, NormanW said:

Most probably. 

That's also what I'm thinking because when you transfer a bike from province to province iirc you'll get a new number from that province. That should be obvious as they wouldn't be able to guarantee that your number from the old province is available in the new province and a DLT of a given province can only issue number plates for their respective province.

It's very possible, if you don't care about the Thai  language letters it's even easier

When I buy a bike I normally haggle  a discount because I don't need the shop to handle the registration for me 

Then I go myself to the dlt, when you arrive to into the first building on the left and go up to the 2nd floor and there is a book you can pick from

(all my big bikes have BKK 666)

It only costs  600thb  and saves my memory so I think it's worth every penny :smile:

How can all your bikes have the same registration plate ? The whole point is that each vehicle can be individually identified...also there are no English alphabet characters

so how can you have BKK ?

3 hours ago, johng said:

How can all your bikes have the same registration plate ? The whole point is that each vehicle can be individually identified...also there are no English alphabet characters

so how can you have BKK ?

There are around 64 letters in Thai alphabet 

(I don't care about any of those but some Thai people do)

The 3  Thai letters on your plate can be anything (first row) 

It will say Bangkok in Thai in the middle, if you give a bkk address (second row) 

The 666 or 777 etc , whatever numbers you like are on the bottom row (third) 

please explain how "all my big bikes have BKK 666"
every vehicle should have a unique set of letters and numbers...there are no English alphabet letters used on Thai plates so how can all your bikes be registered as BKK 666 ?
Can I assume you mean
(For newer version plates)
English Numeral +2 thai alphabet letters
(That you dont care about)
Then province in Thai
Then the 4 more numerals
(Which you may some choice but not be able to say a want wxyz)
Like this ?
1501231938359.jpg

And that you transferred the plate
To a sequence of bikes ?

1 hour ago, johng said:

please explain how "all my big bikes have BKK 666"
every vehicle should have a unique set of letters and numbers...there are no English alphabet letters used on Thai plates so how can all your bikes be registered as BKK 666 ?
Can I assume you mean
(For newer version plates)
English Numeral +2 thai alphabet letters
(That you dont care about)
Then province in Thai
Then the 4 more numerals
(Which you may some choice but not be able to say a want wxyz)
Like this ?
1501231938359.jpg

And that you transferred the plate
To a sequence of bikes ?

I Don't need to transfer it to anymore bikes but I know that's possible because my xgf did it once

(how do you think number plate auctions work BTW?) 

You missed the point, you can have any numbers you want at the bottom, just go in and ask 

If you  ride a Ducati monster you can get 795,796,821 or 1200 for example 

It doesn't have to be 3 numbers either

It can be anything up to 4

My neighbor has a #1 on his Ferrari but that probably costed more than 600thb 

Edited by speedtripler