Israel's Netanyahu threatens to shut Al-Jazeera Jerusalem office

webfact

On 7/27/2017 at 2:30 PM, dexterm said:

Maybe its because the truth is that Israel is behaving badly and if Al Jazeera don't cover some of these incidents,

Perhaps this is the coverage that Netanyahu objects to...

"Last week, amid clashes between Palestinians and Israeli forces in East Jerusalem and the West Bank, Al Jazeera last week published a video in which an Israeli officer is be seen kicking a Palestinian kneeling on what looks like a prayer mat. The network's reporter claimed that Israeli officers attacked the non-violent Palestinian protesters near the Temple Mount."
http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.803677

Taking AJ's reports as objective is a choice, not a fact.

"...who will?"

You just quoted and linked an Israeli newspaper constantly criticizing the Israeli government. There are others. 

On 7/29/2017 at 8:14 AM, dexterm said:

..Have you tried? Up until 2009 Israel had trade offices in Qatar.

Bahrein even banned AJ because it was biased towards Israel not against it.
'"We believe (Al Jazeera) is suspect and represents the Zionist side in the region. We will not deal with this channel because we object to its coverage of current affairs. It is a channel penetrated by Zionists," he was quoted as saying.'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/1980191.stm

Iranian Press TV, has also criticized Al Jazeera for being pro-American and Israeli.

I have often seen many Israeli reps quite freely discussing issues on AJ. 

You seem to imply that Qatar is a repressive regime that would censor Israel's point of view by refusing them an office, and yet you now support Israel doing the same thing to Al Jazeera. Can't have it both ways.

Sadly, I think the only people who might not want reporters to speak freely in Israel is Netanyahu's government.

Having a trade office is not the same as allowing the presence of a state owned media outlet. Deflect away.

Various countries in the region often use allegation of colluding or supporting Israel as a tool when attacking other countries or media outlets. This often relates to other issues, not directly pertaining to Israel. A word you'd be familiar with is "besmirching". The latest conflict between Qatar and other GCC members saw some of that as well.

You seem to offer that AJ is a free press organization rather than a government's mouthpiece, while going on about freedom of press and freedom of speech. Can't have it both ways.

On 27/07/2017 at 10:59 AM, Jingthing said:

Referring to the OP I think you're exaggerating. It says he will try to enact LEGISLATION if the police don't find his demand legal. That means he may fail in this. I predict he will.

When the leader of a nation threatens to shut down a media network  or to do all in his power to do so, freedom of speech and democracy are in trouble....

Just now, observer90210 said:

When the leader of a nation threatens to shut down a media network  or to do all in his power to do so, freedom of speech and democracy are in trouble....

Yes, possibly, but AJ is pretty obviously very biased against Israel. They've been exposed. 

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, possibly, but AJ is pretty obviously very biased against Israel. They've been exposed. 

And that would be reason enough to instaure nation level big brother censorship? We rant at the Thai and the Chinese for state censoring, so why should another country be allowed and other nations rightfully scorned upon when they defend their intenal political dogma!

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Well, it appears now that I was wrong. I had thought this was just political barking but this says it's gonna happen:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-israel-al-jazeera-20170806-story.html

I don't think you were. Sometimes hard to separate a politician's BS from reality.

Banning Al Jazeera in Israel Won't Be So Easy. Here's Why

http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-1.805486

Again, a whole lot of pesky details and legalities - which may or may not be overcome by Netanyahu & Co. Considering the time frame it is doubtful anything will happen anytime soon.

Worth bearing in mind context - Netanyahu suffering political setbacks (Temple Mount, police investigations) which makes him turn to tactics aimed at bolstering support/pacifying supporters and partners to his right.

10 hours ago, observer90210 said:

And that would be reason enough to instaure nation level big brother censorship? We rant at the Thai and the Chinese for state censoring, so why should another country be allowed and other nations rightfully scorned upon when they defend their intenal political dogma!

Actually it is more like the opposite. People who do not rant against other States' actions get particularly wound up re Israel. We don't wonder why.

Edited by SheungWan

21 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah, I can see it's not a done deal yet, but I wasn't really expecting even this much follow through. 

Nah, that was rather expected. A few other such "initiatives" on the horizon in the following weeks.