BMW Group gives Thai electric vehicle technology a boost

webfact

BMW Group gives Thai electric vehicle technology a boost

By The Nation

5de79c261019ff4419947c1085acb611.jpeg

Industry Ministry Permanent Secretary Somchai Harnhirun, third left, receives the BMW i3 battery from Krisda Utamote of BMW Group Thailand, fourth left.

BANGKOK: -- Taking the wheel in electric vehicle (EV) technology, BMW Group Thailand this week delivered a BMW i3 (94Ah) battery to the Thailand Automotive Institute to assist with the technology’s national development.

The delivery sealed the firm’s partnership with the institute in a project called Technology and Innovation Learning Centre for Electric Vehicle Industry Development and marks a milestone in sustainable mobility in Thailand.

“One of our key missions is to create premium, eco-friendly mobility, bolstered by cutting-edge innovations and designs,” said Krisda Utamote of BMW Group Thailand. “BMW has been working hand in hand with the public and private sector to continuously reinforce EV-related development efforts.”

The BMW i3 has a capacity of 33 kilowatt hours (kWh) thanks to the higher storage density of the lithium ion cells. The battery dimensions remain unchanged, with a more than 50-per-cent range increase in the standard NEDC cycle (New European Driving Cycle), which equals 300 kilometres instead of 190 kilometres. 

Even in everyday use, in bad weather conditions and with the air-conditioner or heater turned on, a range of 200 kilometres can be achieved on one full battery charge. 

The driving performance figures of the 125 kW/170-horsepower hybrid synchronous electric motor remain virtually unchanged. The motor propels the BMW i3 from 0 to 100 km/h in 7.3 seconds. This makes the BMW i3 both the sportiest and most efficient electric vehicle in its premium compact segment with an electricity consumption of 12.6 kWh/100 km. 

The Range Extender, the two-cylinder petrol engine, keeps the charge level of the battery constant while driving provides an additional range of 150 kilometres.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30321945

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-07-27

Unless you're doing a lot of K's, why would you bother? Even then there's other cheap fuel alternatives. The Hollywood crowd loved the Prius, didn't mention that their home energy costs were equivalent to a small town, or that there was also a Bentley and  Bugatti in in the garage and that they flew everywhere in private jets. Electric cars, saving the planet. Don't make me laugh.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Even in everyday use, in bad weather conditions and with the air-conditioner or heater turned on, a range of 200 kilometres can be achieved on one full battery charge. 

So useless if wishing to go from Bangkok to , say, Pattaya or Hua Hin and back.  I do like the Range Extender idea but they need to have a larger than 2.4 gallons to make it viable. In the US one could only use 1.9 gallons of the 2.4 gallon tank because the software wouldn't allow it!  What is one wants to drive to Chiang Rai/Phuket in one trip? 900 kms. After Phrachuap one would have to stop and refuel every 120 or so km for the other 600 kms?

Edited by VocalNeal

Would be nice of Thais would build their own car or did some interesting EV conversions.  Saw a 1960's era Impala with a Toyota V8 engine.  Thais are patient and capable.  They just need some encouragement.  This constant worshiping of new luxury cars is tedious.  

This whole idea works well with the current development. As i can tell by the " american" comments, you guys should read more news.... just this week countries like france and the uk have started talking about banning the sales of fuel or diesel powered cars by 2040, some scandinavian countries as early as 2025 I heard on the news. China has also mentioned that they want to increase the numbers of electric vehicles over the next years.

German car manufacturers other than bmw have also announced to focus much more on e-mobility ( seems amusing though in the aftermath of the fraudulent exhaust data scandal and the latest scandal) for example VW exports around 30% of their vehicles to China, hence getting the pressure from Beijing to come up with electric cars. 

Americans are so wasteful, who wants to drive 900 km in a single go anyway? most small european cars can do 400-500 km with a single tank, bigger ones a bit more....

i think 300 km is totally reasonable, but powerstations have to be readily available. the goal seems to be a quick recharge in 30 minutes. 

we should all applaud to the idea of clean air!

only problem is the needed electricity, but since Thailand is actually quite forward thinking and sustainable, it should be ok

3 hours ago, zzidenn said:

This whole idea works well with the current development. As i can tell by the " american" comments, you guys should read more news.... just this week countries like france and the uk have started talking about banning the sales of fuel or diesel powered cars by 2040, some scandinavian countries as early as 2025 I heard on the news. China has also mentioned that they want to increase the numbers of electric vehicles over the next years.

German car manufacturers other than bmw have also announced to focus much more on e-mobility ( seems amusing though in the aftermath of the fraudulent exhaust data scandal and the latest scandal) for example VW exports around 30% of their vehicles to China, hence getting the pressure from Beijing to come up with electric cars. 

Americans are so wasteful, who wants to drive 900 km in a single go anyway? most small european cars can do 400-500 km with a single tank, bigger ones a bit more....

i think 300 km is totally reasonable, but powerstations have to be readily available. the goal seems to be a quick recharge in 30 minutes. 

only problem is the needed electricity, but since Thailand is actually quite forward thinking and sustainable, it should be ok

A good post, assuming of course that your final sentence was sarcasm at its best?  :sleep:

4 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

BMW was as sleeping as all the others German car makers in terms of electric driven cars. Go to Tesla. They will show you how to do (maybe even Toyota)

Tesla is $15Billion in debt.  The big guys - VW, BMW, MB etc will roll over the top of them when the technology becomes viable  for the mainstream.  Looking forward to that.  Providing sufficient power when that time comes is the conundrum.  

6 hours ago, giddyup said:

Unless you're doing a lot of K's, why would you bother? Even then there's other cheap fuel alternatives. The Hollywood crowd loved the Prius, didn't mention that their home energy costs were equivalent to a small town, or that there was also a Bentley and  Bugatti in in the garage and that they flew everywhere in private jets. Electric cars, saving the planet. Don't make me laugh.

Memo to giddyup:

It's happening, get used to it.

Edited by Enoon

52 minutes ago, tharae said:

Tesla is $15Billion in debt.  The big guys - VW, BMW, MB etc will roll over the top of them when the technology becomes viable  for the mainstream.  Looking forward to that.  Providing sufficient power when that time comes is the conundrum.  

Electric cars go the exact same direction as solar energy, it will never be viable.

Tesla is a scam.

Tesla is facing the biggest challenge.. they just celebrated the delivery of 50 cars.. but their acid test is yet to come.. they have to deliver 200000 vehicles before the year end.. that's a Herculean task for them.. they aren't equipped to mass produce vehicles.. just in 3-5 years time by the time Tesla catches up with the mass production other companies like Merc, BMW and the others will be deluge these EVs in the market.. Tesla is a great technology company not a car manufacturing company.. they aren't even able to cope with the after sales service and maintenance.. that too they cost a bomb.. 

If the electric car craze keeps going, then all of the countries around the world had better improve

their power grids. Do ou all realize how much power it takes to charge these cars and even a lot of

neighbourhoods in USA , Canada, Europe, and Asian countries are not wired adequately for the

requirements of these cars.  Do you alo know how much your electric bill will be after you have

to charge your car each night,  as well as your other electric demands from all the other electric

devices in your home.  Hmmm

Geezer

7 hours ago, Jasonron said:

Tesla is facing the biggest challenge.. they just celebrated the delivery of 50 cars.. but their acid test is yet to come.. they have to deliver 200000 vehicles before the year end.. that's a Herculean task for them.. they aren't equipped to mass produce vehicles.. just in 3-5 years time by the time Tesla catches up with the mass production other companies like Merc, BMW and the others will be deluge these EVs in the market.. Tesla is a great technology company not a car manufacturing company.. they aren't even able to cope with the after sales service and maintenance.. that too they cost a bomb.. 

Tesla delivered 76000 cars in 2016 and in the first quarter of 2017 have delivered 75000 so it seems production has risen .I have driven one and they are quiet and very fast .Electric is the way forward .I have a electric bike which has a 100 k range and can be pedaled 

16 minutes ago, MINIMIGLIA said:

This is just crazy, cannot even produce enough electric for present demand, many power cuts, I get at least one every day, and how is it produced??? Total daydreamers????

It's the "feelgood" factor, people feel they are doing their bit to reduce pollution, but still gobble up all the other consumer goods like there's no tomorrow.

18 hours ago, zzidenn said:

only problem is the needed electricity,

Nice how you lightly brush over the main problem. As it stands there is insufficient electricity generated in the US for all cars to be electric. I will assume UK and France have the same problem. 

This is NIMBY from the 70's? City dwellers thinking they are helping by going electric! But maybe that is the key. Only city dwellers forced to buy electric cars?

who wants to drive 900 km in a single go anyway? most small european cars can do 400-500 km with a single tank, bigger ones a bit more....

300 kms is not even from Bangkok to Pattaya/Hua Hin and back. Maybe the house or company one is visiting does want me to plug into their power? 300 kms is not even enough for the average taxi? Mention 300kms to a Canadian or an Australian? They will tell you that is a beer run?

900 kms in one trip? Bangkok to Phuket? Bangkok to Chiang Mai..  Many people go to their country retreat in Chiang Rai in one trip. 

But power stations need to be ready? Don't worry the Chinese build probably minimum one a month, maybe even one a week?. Oh and they burn coal.

I'll be turning in my grave when everyone has an electric car and can't figure out why the climate is still variable.

Edited by VocalNeal

12 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

If the electric car craze keeps going, then all of the countries around the world had better improve

their power grids. Do ou all realize how much power it takes to charge these cars and even a lot of

neighbourhoods in USA , Canada, Europe, and Asian countries are not wired adequately for the

requirements of these cars.  Do you alo know how much your electric bill will be after you have

to charge your car each night,  as well as your other electric demands from all the other electric

devices in your home.  Hmmm

Geezer

All the electricity wasted to produce gasoline, which is about 30% effective, could go to electric cars instead, which is more than 90% effective. Hmmm. 

5 hours ago, MINIMIGLIA said:

This is just crazy, cannot even produce enough electric for present demand, many power cuts, I get at least one every day, and how is it produced??? Total daydreamers????

Put a few solar panels on every roof, and you'll have power for your car and your A/C ;)

23 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

So useless if wishing to go from Bangkok to , say, Pattaya or Hua Hin and back.  I do like the Range Extender idea but they need to have a larger than 2.4 gallons to make it viable. In the US one could only use 1.9 gallons of the 2.4 gallon tank because the software wouldn't allow it!  What is one wants to drive to Chiang Rai/Phuket in one trip? 900 kms. After Phrachuap one would have to stop and refuel every 120 or so km for the other 600 kms?

Couple of jerry cans in the boot.. problem solved :)

^ Exactly. But one still has to stop three times more than necessary. That being said, as a novelty, I would still buy one if I had the disposable cash. I would also buy a Suzuki Wagon R for the same reason. 

I have to laugh reading some of the comments here.
More than 110,000 electric cars in Norway already (4% of the fleet), and new sales is 30-40% electric. Electric charging stations are "everywhere". This has changed a lot in a few years. Think about the air improvement in Bangkok if everyone used plugin-hybrids, which utilities a normal combustion engine on the highway, and run purely electric in city-environments. In 15-20 years, most cars will be electric automatic taxis , which you will request on an app from your phone. The need for personal vehicles will drop dramatically.
Welcome to the future!

10 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

^ Exactly. But one still has to stop three times more than necessary. That being said, as a novelty, I would still buy one if I had the disposable cash. I would also buy a Suzuki Wagon R for the same reason. 

He has some valid points, but one has to remember that all car production is polluting, not just electric cars. The BMW I3 is built from recycled materials entirely, and the production is CO2 netural. 

Amazed that the media focus is all on private cars. How about we electrify all the buses, taxis and HGV's and delivery trucks first ? Oh and ban any sort of diesel vehicle. 

Norway is proof it can be done, but they have plenty of cash, a smallish population, Geothermal, gas and oil reserves and a willing mindset.

9 minutes ago, mortenaa said:

and the production is CO2 netural. 

Sounds like faith? They don't generate any CO2 during production? Hmmm..  

Using the word neutral suggest otherwise. I wonder how they make it neutral? Do they have a plant that removes CO2 from the atmosphere? :whistling:

Edited by VocalNeal

6 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Nice how you lightly brush over the main problem. As it stands there is insufficient electricity generated in the US for all cars to be electric. I will assume UK and France have the same problem. 

This is NIMBY from the 70's? City dwellers thinking they are helping by going electric! But maybe that is the key. Only city dwellers forced to buy electric cars?

300 kms is not even from Bangkok to Pattaya/Hua Hin and back. Maybe the house or company one is visiting does want me to plug into their power? 300 kms is not even enough for the average taxi? Mention 300kms to a Canadian or an Australian? They will tell you that is a beer run?

900 kms in one trip? Bangkok to Phuket? Bangkok to Chiang Mai..  Many people go to their country retreat in Chiang Rai in one trip. 

But power stations need to be ready? Don't worry the Chinese build probably minimum one a month, maybe even one a week?. Oh and they burn coal.

I'll be turning in my grave when everyone has an electric car and can't figure out why the climate is still variable.

Well change can never be achieved by sticking to the old ways as hard as possible. Talking about the recharge problem, china has many roads equipped with power stations every 50 km or so.... the main recharge would probably happen at night or in the evenings, that's very convenient since traditionally less electricity is consumed after working hours, hence more power is available. Still generating electricity in a power plant is more effective and has a higher output than the same amount of energy generated by thousands of cars..

People can complain as much as they want, fossil fuel is not going to be there for ever. 

oh by the way, most busses and taxis in bangkok drive on natural gas and also have a reach of around 300 km if I'm not mistaken.

im not here to fight but I care about clean air and a healthy environment. The air quality in Bangkok is borderline hazardous (depending on where you live) and so is the air quality in Chiangmai and Pattaya . I can't believe that people want to poison their lungs only because they want to  take the odd 900km trip every now and then or drive to Pattaya and back nonstop.

Today a German court has banned a Porsche Cayenne model because of its emissions and a court in Stuttgart will decide if Diesel engines will be banned in the city center.

Edited by zzidenn