Jomtien Immigration: Reporting returns after travel

Kaoboi Bebobp

A couple of current thread discussions have led me to discover something I did not know. It's the law about reporting one's current address that immigration is enforcing with enthusiasm in some districts. It's not just about reporting your NEW address anymore, it's also about reporting having returned to your continuing address. Does anyone have experience with this newly enforced reporting condition at Jomtien Immigration.

I just signed up for an apartment on the Darkside and the complex owner got me the appropriate immigration receipt for address registration in Jomtien district, which I was told to put inside my passport. Never been told this before. I have an extension based on retirement (which I will renew next week) with the one-year multi-entry re-entry permit expiring on the same date as the extension, as per usual.

Questions: 

1. If one travels WITHIN Thailand and returns to Pattaya, does the owner have to report me again within 24 hours as having returned to the same address? 

2. If one travels OUTSIDE Thailand and returns to Pattaya, does the apartment owner have to report me again within 24 hours as having returned to the same address?

There are hefty fines for both parties if the address reporting is not done. It's being said that upon returning to Thailand, reporting your address on the Arrival card is not enough and that you have to get your apartment owner to do a new report (TM30?).

I'm a frequent traveller but if the above is correct about reporting every time you return home, this is a whole new level of complication. 

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

9 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

I think technically the law is written as you state, and some immigration offices follow it that way. However, unless things have changed within the past two weeks, Jomtien doesn't follow this practice. Tbey only require the 90-day reports if in country more than 90 days and upon return for international travel (after 89 days).

I recently completed an international trip and my 90-day report date fell in my absence. Upon my return, I did a 90-report during my 12th week after return and all was fine. I have done this many times over the years with no issues.

As for domestic travel, how would they even know you left unless you reported your departure?

Good to know. Thanks.

Your last statement could be answered by the fact they would know if the Thai hotel did its mandatory reporting of the foreign guest. 

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
  • Like 1

1. If one travels WITHIN Thailand and returns to Pattaya, does the owner have to report me again within 24 hours as having returned to the same address? 

Not if you didn't check out and did not stay in an hotel under your own name. If not, how would they know?

If you did check out, or had a TM 30 made at another address, then IMO yes, to be on the safe side. It doesn't cost anything.

2. If one travels OUTSIDE Thailand and returns to Pattaya, does the apartment owner have to report me again within 24 hours as having returned to the same address?

As you are on the computer as having left the country, IMO absolutely.

31 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not if you didn't check out and did not stay in an hotel under your own name. If not, how would they know?

If you did check out, or had a TM 30 made at another address, then IMO yes, to be on the safe side. It doesn't cost anything.

As you are on the computer as having left the country, IMO absolutely.

As for the address on the TM form, I don't believe they are used by immigration to track anything, let alone peoples' addresses/locations ( I don't think the info is even entered into their computers). Why do I think this...usually I just put down my street name and "Pattaya" on the form...hardly enough to track anything. I think the information is actually for the TAT  to generally track where visitors to Thailand are going.

As for #2...In my case, I'm on a retirement extension and own my own house. Like I said, on returns after international travel, I have never reported my returns until the 90 day deadline after my return nears...most recently just a couple weeks ago. Maybe if someone has a different visa status or in rented or multi-unit accomodation it would be different but I can't see why it would be.

• Like 1

I checked in at Chon Buri immigration after coming back from getting a non-O at  Laos for a new TM-30.  The lady at that time, about 3 months ago told me that unless I was out of country for more than 30 days getting a new TM-30 wasn't required.  

Since then I'm read a few posts about people having problems because they didn't get a new TM-30 after returning within 30 days.  

I think I'll just get a new TM-30 next time I return from out of country just in case, and to be on the safe side.

Their rules are ever changing and no two people seem to follow the same ones from what I've experienced and read, so playing it safe and getting a new TM-30 each time might be a good move imho.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

As for domestic travel, how would they even know you left unless you reported your departure?

If you stayed in a hotel and the hotel reported your stay. Whether or not that information would make it back to your home immigration office, not sure??

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, marino28 said:

So if you stay out more than 30 days you have to report. If less not have to do anything. Is it correct ? Whiting thailand don't have to report in any case ?

Correct....I was out of Thailand 33 days had to report.  You need to fill

out form, bring proof of residence, True bill,was OKcopt of TM30 too

So far then, it seems that for the extension holder: 

Out of country more than 30 days, you have 24 hours from arrival to report on a TM30 form to your home immigration office. I assume it has to be your home office.

Along with the TM30, you need to show a rental contract or statement of residence from the apartment owner, or just a utility bill, as noted above. As well as all the usual photocopies of passport, entry stamp and re-entry permit. 

But then the question arises, what has to happen when you might need to stay in Bangkok a night before getting a flight to Udon or wherever.  

This is certainly starting to get a bit aggravating.

But since I'm renewing my extension next week, I will try to get as many answers as possible from an IO.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

17 hours ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

I think technically the law is written as you state, and some immigration offices follow it that way. However, unless things have changed within the past two weeks, Jomtien doesn't follow this practice. Tbey only require the 90-day reports if in country more than 90 days and upon return for international travel (after 89 days).

I recently completed an international trip and my 90-day report date fell in my absence. Upon my return, I did a 90-report during my 12th week after return and all was fine. I have done this many times over the years with no issues.

same as my experience....................did 90 day earlier this month after 5 week stay in uk in march-april.........no problem

• Like 1

So Thaiflyer1 was out of country more than 30 days and had no problem. Cool. 

Question to OMG: Were you out of country more than 30 days? 

It's looking like there's been a lot inconsistency at Jomtien, with guys having to file the TM30 and some not having to file. TiT

Let's try to get one thing clear: All you guys reporting with a TM30 or not, are you all on 1-year extensions? 

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
Clarification.

The Pattaya City Expats Club {PCEC} has been reporting on the inconsistent treatment of those not reporting on the TM.30 when out of Thailand - it seems if traveling within Thailand and returning to the same address Chonburi Immigration doesn't seem to care. However, if traveling outside the country, they have received several reports - some are told by Immigration Officer at the TM.30 reporting desk it is within 24 hours (or next business day they are open) if traveling outside of Thailand regardless of length of time.  However, others have been told by the Immigration officer at that desk you can be outside Thailand for less than 30 days, no need to report.   A recent report, the person asked the "farang" assistant there and were told if outside of Thailand or traveling within Thailand for less than 14 days, no report - but, if more than 14 days within and outside of Thailand, must make the report.

Consequently, the PCEC is suggesting that if traveling outside of Thailand, make the report within 24 hours (or next business day) rather than risk being fined (could happen depending on which Immigration Officer is working the TM.30 desk).  They don't seem to be concerned about the TM.28 form and don't want it - but are requiring the TM.30. The 90 day reporting desk is different, and from most reports to PCEC, the Immigration Officers there don't check the TM.30 database - just checking the one for the 90 day report (unles doing a first or new report, Chonburi scans the bar code on the last report from the previous report receipt that you should have in your passport from last report - that brings up the 90 day reporting database, they enter the date you are reporting and then print out a new receipt with your new reporting date and bar code}.

Edited by soisanuk
  • Like 2

Different immigration office ( Phuket), but when I did my 90 day report a month ago, I was told that I should have reported my return to address after a one night trip stay to Laos a couple of months earlier. No fine but had to return the following day with the lease agreement, copy of landlords ID and Tabien Baan. What a pain. 

It seems to depend on the office you use ( like many things here). My experience is almost 12mths old now but last year I left the kingdom and when I returned this was a HOT topic...so I went to my local office ( Udon Thani) within 24hrs to report my RETURN to the same address I had used for the previous 3 years of ( retirement) extensions of stay/90 day reports / arrivals card etc.

Imm officer looked at the paper and threw it in garbage saying " not needed if returning to address we ALREADY have on file.

But as I say ....different offices ---different rules. Why not just ASK at your local office.

6 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

If you stayed in a hotel and the hotel reported your stay. Whether or not that information would make it back to your home immigration office, not sure??

I've seen posts here where, for whatever reason, the foreigner was shown the computer screen detailing all the TM.30's that had been filed on their behalf at hotels around Thailand when they traveled, so I think the Immigrations offices do have ready access to that data.  Not sure, but I think at least one of those reports was in Jomtien because I remember thinking it would have applied to me.

Changed condo address late last year,was advised by Jomtien immigration,if you outside the country for more than 14 day,must do a notification of address within 24 hours of arrival back in Thailand,if immigration office closed must b done at police station,less than 14 days,reporting uneccessary.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

So Thaiflyer1 was out of country more than 30 days and had no problem. Cool. 

Question to OMG: Were you out of country more than 30 days? 

It's looking like there's been a lot inconsistency at Jomtien, with guys having to file the TM30 and some not having to file. TiT

Let's try to get one thing clear: All you guys reporting with a TM30 or not, are you all on 1-year extensions? 

Less than 30 days.

2 hours ago, novo58 said:

It seems to depend on the office you use ( like many things here). My experience is almost 12mths old now but last year I left the kingdom and when I returned this was a HOT topic...so I went to my local office ( Udon Thani) within 24hrs to report my RETURN to the same address I had used for the previous 3 years of ( retirement) extensions of stay/90 day reports / arrivals card etc.

Imm officer looked at the paper and threw it in garbage saying " not needed if returning to address we ALREADY have on file.

But as I say ....different offices ---different rules. Why not just ASK at your local office.

Probably a waste of time because as the PCEC example shows, if you ask 3 different IOs you'll get three different answers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Here's another link that (I think) got trashed in another thread. It's not a bad summary of the newly enforced requirement for the TM30 after travels. 

TM30 Reporting requirements for hosts and travellers

The key is the statement at the end that different imm offices interpret the rules differently. 

Also like the  comment that Canadian parolees have fewer reporting requirements than foreigners in Thailand.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, little mary sunshine said:

If you are OUT OF THE COUNTRY for more than

30 days you must report to Immigration to state

your address with in 24 hours....fine B1600 + for

not reporting.   I was gone 33 days had to report,

As you enter Immigration on the left behind

the info officer. ( Jomtien). Is where you report.

How do you report this? On what form?

8 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

If you don't get there with your TM28 within 24 hrs from arriving at Swampy; then why go at all? Just take your chances because you are already in jeopordy.

Maybe the fine increases with time?

6 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

So far then, it seems that for the extension holder: 

Out of country more than 30 days, you have 24 hours from arrival to report on a TM30 form to your home immigration office. I assume it has to be your home office.

Along with the TM30, you need to show a rental contract or statement of residence from the apartment owner, or just a utility bill, as noted above. As well as all the usual photocopies of passport, entry stamp and re-entry permit. 

But then the question arises, what has to happen when you might need to stay in Bangkok a night before getting a flight to Udon or wherever.  

This is certainly starting to get a bit aggravating.

But since I'm renewing my extension next week, I will try to get as many answers as possible from an IO.

It is not always a simple process to complete a TM30 form. You need a copy of the owner's ID and blue book if you're renting. That's not easy to get if they owner lives overseas and you're renting through a Real Estate agent. In my particular situation, I gave up.

As it happened, I renewed my extension for another year earlier this month WITHOUT a TM30 at a new address. No one asked for it. I have not been out of Thailand for quite some time.

Edited by tropo

3 hours ago, Oztruckie said:

Changed condo address late last year,was advised by Jomtien immigration,if you outside the country for more than 14 day,must do a notification of address within 24 hours of arrival back in Thailand,if immigration office closed must b done at police station,less than 14 days,reporting uneccessary.

How do you do this "notification of address"? Do they have a new form for this?

3 minutes ago, tropo said:

It is not always a simple process to complete a TM30 form. You need a copy of the owner's ID and blue book if you're renting. That's not easy to get if they owner lives overseas and you're renting through a Real Estate agent. In my particular situation, I gave up.

Tough one, indeed.  In your case, the owner faces up to a 10,000 baht fine, based on the immigration video I watched. 

Fortunately for me, my owner is represented by the commercial complex manager. She's available 7 days a week and can issue a stamped form that immigration has always accepted. Then again, this won't impact me too often because I'm only out of the country beyond 14 days just once a year. Yeah, I'm kind of accepting it's 14 days, not 30. But I will confirm next week. Well, confirm as far as is possible in Thailand. LOL

You wrote: 

How do you report this? On what form?

I believe this is the TM30 -- Notification of aliens staying at a residence. (I took this from the pinned templates post on the TV visa pages. )