Bangkok aims to halve road deaths

webfact

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

Another crazy idea, halve the road deaths.

First step, teach people how to drive second educate people about wearing helmets.

Stupid me, it will never happen.

All you have to do to know that education doesn't work is to watch a lot of the foreigners who have that education, but their driving habits have gone native- or worse.  They'd never drive like that back home because they know they'd pay fines out the wazoo, and soon lose their license on points.  So it's not the education.

Enforcement is the only answer to the human tendency to choose our actions on the basis of expected consequences.  Back home, I'd get many tickets before I'd have an accident -just by statistics.  So I drive to avoid tickets, which has the bonus effect of avoiding accidents.  Here, the only lessons are learned from actually having the accidents.  Fewer people survive those lessons.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To stop accidents 

1- increase fine for not wearing a motorcycle helmet to 2000 baht.

2- lights not working 300 baht 

3- no driving licence motorcycle bike / car put in compound till they come back with license have 3 months to get license after that vehicle is sold at auction . 

4- not wearing a seat belt 1000baht fine 

The above would help bring accidents down  it just a start 

This is probably a crazy idea, but here goes anyway.

Why not have a system where Expats are permitted to visit schools in an attempt to educate the kids on road safety. Make the clsses compulsory for all students.

No reward for the expat. The service should be provided for the right reason, not for a reward.

I for one would be happy to give a few hours each week. I'm not silly enough to think there would be immediate results, but it might be a step in the right direction.

But hey, I'm just a silly ol farang.

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Whilst I would welcome any initiative that addresses the appalling death rate on this country's roads, concentrating their efforts on just one city where only 1.25% of those deaths take place seems somewhat short sighted.

This initiative needs to be nationwide and sustained if it is to have any hope of having any significant impact.

There is a large school close to where I live which opens out onto a main highway, which is dual. If one watches the kids leaving that school. many of them leave on motorcycles,

The majority have no helmet, many are 3 up. And at least half of them turn in the wrong direction and 'ghost ride' against the traffic. If kids of that age have contempt for the law, what hope for the rest of society?

It's in the schools where they need to address this problem. The kids are the adults of tomorrow and it is them that need to learn respect for the law and a culture of safety for themselves and others.

Spot on. Similar observations from living in Chiang Mai for 9 years. 

And as the traffic volumes have increased exponentially in that time it has become even worse.

Am I not correct in recalling an earlier government statement last year opinioing that they were going to reduce road fatalities in all of Thailand by 80% by next year? Or am I dreaming? 

1 minute ago, aslimversgwm said:

Spot on. Similar observations from living in Chiang Mai for 9 years. 

And as the traffic volumes have increased exponentially in that time it has become even worse.

Am I not correct in recalling an earlier government statement last year opinioing that they were going to reduce road fatalities in all of Thailand by 80% by next year? Or am I dreaming? 

All i see is drivers of motor cycles looking round  the do not look ahead,and when i see somebody about to turn left out of a road they never look to see is any body is comming

Germany has 290 policemen per 100.00 citizen, Thailand 344.  In Germany you see them working night and day everywhere. Here the police sits in cafes, and they do not give a hoot, when traffic offenders pass by, even when policemen are under way with a car or motorcycle. Have a look at the army helmets, also worn on motorcycles. It is hopeless to implement changes and laws, as long the police will not enforce these, and start to educate their selves and the people. And with the self imposed junta leader in place, I doubt anything will change.

armyhelmet.jpg

2 hours ago, captspectre said:

in your dreams! the thai's just can't handle or care about road rules! just look at the photo.

seems they cant count either,there's 3on the bike. 

female driver.

pillion rider.

and a young kid on the front.

2 hours ago, captspectre said:

in your dreams! the thai's just can't handle or care about road rules! just look at the photo.

yea .... kinda like a 59 chevy pic , pretty , but all show and no go ......

Edited by mikiea

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

Another crazy idea, halve the road deaths.

First step, teach people how to drive second educate people about wearing helmets.

Stupid me, it will never happen.

Third: Enforce the existing laws and rules.

No need to make 1000 of new rules and never enforce them.

Remember a few years ago when with a big bang the RTP announced the cameras to catch those who run a red light? Big show for two weeks and some frontline phots of a car caught, then back to normal... no more enforcement of this rule.

It always amazes me how drivers can brake the law in front of a policeman and this policeman could care less.

Thailand only measures road deaths at the accident site and not those who later die of their injuries in hospital, so Thailand probably should be #1 in the world ahead of Libya.

The authorities are not going to listen to any farang whatsoever, so going into schools to educate students about road safety is not going to happen because it would be viewed as interference and so "unThainess".

As long as we and our families and friends do not become an accident statistic, we just have to let the carnage continue, but be continually defensive on the roads in self-preservation mode.

2 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

No speeding, no drunks on the road, and every motorcyclist wearing a helmet, will bring the death toll down dramatically.

Enforcing Zebra/pedestrian crossings is another easy way to drop the toll substantially. A roving team of, say 30-40 cops hitting randomly selected crossings and issuing instant fines would work quick wonders. 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Official statistics stated that 14,059 people were killed on Thai roads and highways in 2012, translating to a road-death rate of 36.2 people per 100,000.

here is the quote from WHO on their website:

"Thailand has the second highest road traffic fatality rate in the world at 36.2 per 100 000 with an annual estimate of over 24 000 deaths or 66 deaths every day."

from http://www.searo.who.int/thailand/areas/roadsafety/en/

So the total road death toll accounts to over 14,000 whereas in Bangkok "only" 600 got killed. Something must be wrong with this figure: Thailand has approx. 66 million people, Bangkok at least 10 million inhabitants or 15 % of the population but only accounts for 4.3 % of the road fatalities.

38 minutes ago, fxe1200 said:

Germany has 290 policemen per 100.00 citizen, Thailand 344.  In Germany you see them working night and day everywhere. Here the police sits in cafes, and they do not give a hoot, when traffic offenders pass by, even when policemen are under way with a car or motorcycle. Have a look at the army helmets, also worn on motorcycles. It is hopeless to implement changes and laws, as long the police will not enforce these, and start to educate their selves and the people. And with the self imposed junta leader in place, I doubt anything will change.

armyhelmet.jpg

With all due respect Sir, in Germany (and most European countries) the Police Force (or Police Service for the mamby pambies) is actually a profession that the rank and file choose to enter, often with the aim and expectation of a lifetime of employment.

They are properly trained, properly remunerated and corruption is very rare and deeply frowned upon for bringing disrespect to the service and shame on the family.

Sadly, here, they are not properly trained, do not receive adequate compensation (at least from the state) and many join for all the wrong reasons.  The lack of shame is apparent from the very top down and the concept of having to earn respect is totally alien to these imbeciles.  IN their tiny minds, wearing the turd coloured uniform demands immediate and unquestioning respect!  This is all too sadly bolstered by the culture and education in the schools.  Do not question authority.

The result?  You get an overly self important, overly privileged army of goons looking for any way to create extra income and with absolutely no idea of the real role of a Police Service and scant regard for the public they should be serving.

Leave things as they are within 2 years the number of drivers will have already have halved with the nutters that are in the roads now.

More than 50% at present already think they are in a Death race.

There cannot be a police man (btw, I have yet to see a police woman on patrol... that would be so hot!) at every corner, to stop every misdemeanor infraction or even a drink-driving incident.  This doesn't happen in other countries, so why should it be expected here?

Fear needs to be instilled into the Thai driver psyche that heavy penalties will be levied for violating the law.  Self-confessions will not make a damn difference in reducing these penalties.  This would hopefully drive (no pun) the Thai drivers to be self-policing.

Now, from a harsher review of Thailand... the roads are abysmal.  Highways, and I use that term very loosely, should not be flanked on each side with mom/pop stores.  This only leads to slow traffic, either stopping or merging in, with vehicles moving at a faster pace.  Basically a disaster waiting to happen, especially if a dume-ass travelling 10 kph merges into a lane with somebody travelling at 80 kph.

Existing police officers should having moving patrols; not just sit idly at a road stop to 'warn' drivers to slow down.  <deleted> issue a ticket, and points, that will cost the driver more to insure their vehicle(s).  These officers should also be able to rely on backup, if necessary.  Citizenry should be able to report police officers of slacking on the job too... and expect results from such.

Also, as a joke, perhaps the best way to reduce traffic accidents and infractions in Thailand would be to deputize all foreign visitors from westernized countries to serve as police men/women, with the power to issue fines to violators.  You arrive at the airport, and you are issued with a badge, a gun, and a booklet to fill out reports of traffic violations.

P.S.  In Thailand, it seems that drivers are instilled with the notion that 'to forgive is divine'.  For example, if a driver gets cut off, oh well, at least there was no harm/damage.  Perhaps if more and more Thai drivers would forget this and exercise their feelings by honking at poor drivers, that they would shame those that are clearly not exercising road etiquette.

London has a similar population. The road deaths there in 2015 totalled 136. Bangkok is aiming for 300. How about aiming for zero. But we all know it's only talk. Thais cannot be disciplined in anything and will just continue doing what they want to do. Which in the case of the Thai police force, is not enforce the law.

31 minutes ago, Jonnapat said:

Why is everything always about Bangkok? Road deaths upcountry are much worse  but who cares about that?

In Bangkok, a life is worth 2 satang, and those lives pay more in taxes than those 1 satang persons that live in the upcountry.  That is why their lives, err deaths, are more important.

P.S.  Please, tell me you understand (my) sarcasm.  TVF members are always moaning about Thai logic.  It's not logic that Thai's lack... okay, it is... but whatever logic Thais lack, they make up for it with hypocrisy.  You have to give them credit for that.

Edited by Gumballl

Hahaha. 

Again. 

Seriously bad driving is a major factor and the terrible road toll can only be reduced by active, on road, enforcement. 

Not by stupid road checkpoints. 

I am sick of the way many drivers of cars and motorcycles cut corners and endanger other people. 

Drivers staying in the right lane causing other drivers to overtake on the medium strip. 

This is not picked up at checkpoints.