Vaccinations are they really needed?

Gary2164

is it recommednded to have vaccinations for Thailand ?
i 've been there over 30 times and the very 1st time i had some in 1999, but none since, a fellow worker has just booked to go to Phuket in 2 weeks time, but just read that she needs multiple vaccinatiosn , & now is quiet worried about going , i trying to say its ok to travel wthout them, ? especially if only goung to Phuket. ( she had a tetanus shot 2 years ago).

The only vaccinations I've ever gotten for Thailand (multiple visits since 1999 and living there six years) are Tetanus (which everyone should have anyway, no matter where you are) and Hepatitis A.  Both are good for 10 years.

The average two week tourist moving in tourist areas. living in hotels with proper sanitation can risk to go without.

So many do.

Just use common sense regarding food or (not) engaging in sexual encounters (Hep A and B).

If bitten by dog or cat rush to hospital immediately for "post exposure" vaccination. Should happen within 6 hours if I remember correct.

6 hours ago, Chou Anou said:

The only vaccinations I've ever gotten for Thailand (multiple visits since 1999 and living there six years) are Tetanus (which everyone should have anyway, no matter where you are) and Hepatitis A.  Both are good for 10 years.

In and out since 1984. Those are the only 2 worth having. Not sure about the malarial situation, which doesn't affect me in lower Isaan. Worth noting that a new strain of totally resistant gonorrhea has been detected. 

25 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Hep B also very important and pre-exposure rabies vaccine worth considering. Those living in rural areas also well advised to get Japanese B encephalutis vaccine.

Wholeheartedly agree with the Hep-B, my 1st trip to Asia was via 10 countries in Africa & had to have so many inoculations (Company insisted) that I looked like Popeye after a couple of cans of spinach (amazing "Guns"), but for the past 8 years on my annual Health Check-up  (company pays s$1,000 for it so why not) the Doctor has always been very keen on my Hep-B scores.

I did ask him why (the time they were apparently borderline) & it seems it's a problem in Asia (https://www.singhealth.com.sg/PatientCare/ConditionsAndTreatments/Pages/Hepatitis-B.aspx)  which we don't face in the West. so good excuse for a day off from the office, pop along to Tan Tock Seng hospital & get a booster...

Better Safe than Sorry 

Edited by LostinSEA
spelling